• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Is this Suzuka? I still hate the ending for the manga, so confusing and frustrating.

Sure is, you can see her hiding being the best bro Miki.

I tried to find a KNIM one before settling for Suzuka.

So, I started Prison School... How can you read that when you commute? I fear the persons sitting next to me think I am a perv or something ^^. But it is indeed good.
I tried a few chapter of My Hero Academy but stopped : looks a bit too generic for me.

You destroy your feeling of shame and embarrassment and accept the lewd! Alternatively you don't read it while commuting.

Totakeke

Just picked up My Hero Academia.

It's great, but it feels like the pace is far too fast and I'm not sure where this is headed. The plot so far could have been done across 100 chapters... so hopefully it doesn't end in a territory where every event is just another reset to status quo.

ib - Instant Bullet 8-9

An ending to that arc that actually worked out pretty well in developing both new characters, as well as continuing the relevance of the bomber. I actually really like teleported and plant girl now. And that twist at the end too.

Furyous

Fury

The MC needs to find a way to pass this test.
LOL at him treating a horse like a dog and as a result, we need a sympathy group for the horse.
Hopefully the examiner passes them both and lets the MC go because he's technically not a spy.
I wish the author released more chapters or wrote longer ones.

Black Haze

Shit keeps getting realer and realer.
Dio got exposed badly as Rood battles outside with Monsters and shuts the head professor smoove the fuck down.

kasane

A good look at Kuroko no Basket Extra Game. On twitter they say the rivals are called Gold and Silver. Hopefully there will be a translation for the chapter

UkevfvX.png

really now

ugh

Zweizer

Banned
iShoujo ch7

Kinda surprised by how bloodlessly it ended.

Puppy Lovers ch29-30

What will be his choice~?

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka ch19-20

Never mess with maids~

I guess things will get messy.

Zetsurin! ch4-5

Well, alright.

Zetsurin! Ch.4 - 5
I too would like to know how the hell his face ended up inside her underwear.

Well, I still gotta give this thing credit for knowing exactly what it is and delivering on it. That fucking angel creature still says the damnedest things.

Puupy Lovers Ch.1-30
Between this and Do You Like Big Girls I think I may have a problem. At least I have another ongoing ecchi series to follow.

Yuria 100 Shiki Ch. 99-101
Didn't realize the last few translated chapters were out last month, nearly forgot about 'cause of how long they were taking. That was a fun ride. Not as amazing as My Balls, but still enjoyable none the less

Sai

Christmas batch releases are da best.

I remember looking forward to reading like a hundred chapters of Ippo around this time of the year. Only downside to them catching up.

Zweizer

Banned
The New Kurosawa ch7

Why has Kurosawa become so unlikable?

Well, at least he can display strong willpower, depending on the circumstances.

35239579axkjb.jpg

Merry Kurumas all.

Arachnid 44-45
And that wasn't even the weirdest moment in these chapters. Seriously, what the slimy hell? So the council president's planned finale is a school-wide orgy? Actually, if that was part of her manifesto it might explain how she defied electoral logic to get appointed in the first place.

As glad as I am to see Geji's reappearance, she needs to put some of that S-tier speed to use right now. The humiliation of running home dressed like that is probably preferable to the alternative.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Addicted to Curry

This guy is way too thirsty, she'll never find him at this rate.

I wish this came out at a faster rate...

dani_dc

Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou 13-14 (End)

Well, they're finally dating, but they seem to have an awful relationship. The only change from their previously bad relation is the kissing.

"I wish you were cuter"
(...)

"I still can't figure out what ticks her off"

Really? You can't figure it our? Really?

I just can't see this relationship lasting.

Shame the manga didn't do something interesting like showing the relationship failing and the characters moving on, instead we got a generic "happy" ending by putting both characters in a toxic relationship for no real reason whatsoever besides "they wee both lonely".

Addicted to Curry

For a second I thought you were talking about Itoshi No Karen.

Black Museum - Springald

This was alright although the tropes/twists were pretty obvious. Liked the art as well.

Its funny how the side story is basically a re-thread but the
love story
will be successful this time.

Aizo

Banned
Why is I Am a Hero vol 16 not available for kindle yet? :(
Is that usual that a manga doesn't go onto kindle right when the new volume comes out? 1-15 are available for kindle..

Complex Age (one-shot)
A traumatising story about a 34 year old woman who decides to... g-give up her hobby of wearing gothloli. Man, it hurts to even say it. Sweet little read showcasing the pinnacle of fashion. Seems it's been turned into a serialisation as well, so I'll definitely check that out when it's available.

Usobuko

Banned
Figures I write something about Kindaichi Case Files for anyone with a passing interest.

In this manga, you follow the adventure of a lazy and lecherous student by the name of Kindaichi. Few recognized his worth and his deductive prowess as he rarely shown motivation in anything. However, when he comes across something he felt to be an injustice surrounded by seemingly unsolvable mystery, he tackled them head-on earnestly and accompanied with a great sense of justice. In short, the series is about plucky teen detective solving murder mystery, most which are whodunit stories. Despite started serialization in Weekly Shonen Magazine in 1992, 2 years earlier than Detective Conan, Kindaichi while still mildly popular trails behind Detective Conan these days. This was to be expected because the run of Kindaichi has been inconsistent.

So someone who is more familiar with Detective Conan may ask, what's the difference? What makes Kindaichi more intriguing to Conan, what gives it a differentiated selling point?

The most notable difference is Kindaichi is centred in murder mystery whereas Conan comprise of robbery, kidnapping, heist etc on the sideline. You could say because Kindaichi is hampered by its repetitiveness, the story of Conan flows more seamlessly. The cases in Conan could happen in his daily routine activities whereas Kindaichi always need a preface for going to a secluded area where the curtains of an inevitable murder mystery was drawn. But I digress, it is also precisely of this focus where Kindaichi outshines Conan.

Every murder mystery arc has a thematic theme that fits the setting. Their origins are mostly from the urban legend that surround the place. As every arc is set in a remote place and play around a certain urban legend, it heightens the mystery atmosphere in Kindaichi. And while it could combine many elements, such as religion, fantasy and science fiction, the ending is always rooted in logic and science.

Was it really a will o wisp?

Spot something unusual? That's just a small step in guiding you to the right direction! Sometimes, murder scenes as extravagant as this and portray accordingly to the supposedly themes / urban legends are trying to disguise a deeper ploy of the culprit.

In another area where Kindaichi is more proactive in this genre is it encourages people to solve the mystery. More often than not, it drop hints in a subtle manner and requires the readers to pay close attention to every unconventional behaviour and action.

In the words of famous mystery novelist Soji Shimada, "I present all the details and then tease my readers to find the murderer".

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, for recommended cases and arc, there are only a miserable few chapters available in Eng for manga. For the anime, I would whole-heartedly recommended the earlier adaptation which is Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (TV). Modern Kindaichi cases are kinda lacklustre and less well-crafted.

Up to episode 15, the translations are comprehensible. The first case of the anime was actually the 5th case of Kindaichi but since Kindaichi is episodic in nature and they are given sufficient introduction, it should be fine. Here's a feel of its 90's opening and ending.

OP 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIXE-YWMHM
OP 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS5a7YuUTk
ED 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LfGUZMQI8

To summarize, though it's only what is available, the first 15 episodes ( 5 cases ) of Kindaichi's 1997 anime are good introduction for someone interested in this series. Personally, I also love the ost in the series. Particularly this heavy-hearted and sorrowful tune when Kindaichi discovered a body. Kaoru Wada did a great job there.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kindaichi was always a manga I always wanted to read. I can't remember if I forgot or couldn't find where to read it at the time. After that write up, I might check it out tonight.

Figures I write something about Kindaichi Case Files for anyone with a passing interest.

In this manga, you follow the adventure of a lazy and lecherous student by the name of Kindaichi. Few recognized his worth and his deductive prowess as he rarely shown motivation in anything. However, when he comes across something he felt to be an injustice surrounded by seemingly unsolvable mystery, he tackled them head-on earnestly and accompanied with a great sense of justice. In short, the series is about plucky teen detective solving murder mystery, most which are whodunit stories. Despite started serialization in Weekly Shonen Magazine in 1992, 2 years earlier than Detective Conan, Kindaichi while still mildly popular trails behind Detective Conan these days. This was to be expected because the run of Kindaichi has been inconsistent.

So someone who is more familiar with Detective Conan may ask, what's the difference? What makes Kindaichi more intriguing to Conan, what gives it a differentiated selling point?

The most notable difference is Kindaichi is centred in murder mystery whereas Conan comprise of robbery, kidnapping, heist etc on the sideline. You could say because Kindaichi is hampered by its repetitiveness, the story of Conan flows more seamlessly. The cases in Conan could happen in his daily routine activities whereas Kindaichi always need a preface for going to a secluded area where the curtains of an inevitable murder mystery was drawn. But I digress, it is also precisely of this focus where Kindaichi outshines Conan.

Every murder mystery arc has a thematic theme that fits the setting. Their origins are mostly from the urban legend that surround the place. As every arc is set in a remote place and play around a certain urban legend, it heightens the mystery atmosphere in Kindaichi. And while it could combine many elements, such as religion, fantasy and science fiction, the ending is always rooted in logic and science.

Was it really a will o wisp?

Spot something unusual? That's just a small step in guiding you to the right direction! Sometimes, murder scenes as extravagant as this and portray accordingly to the supposedly themes / urban legends are trying to disguise a deeper ploy of the culprit.

In another area where Kindaichi is more proactive in this genre is it encourages people to solve the mystery. More often than not, it drop hints in a subtle manner and requires the readers to pay close attention to every unconventional behaviour and action.

In the words of famous mystery novelist Soji Shimada, "I present all the details and then tease my readers to find the murderer".

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, for recommended cases and arc, there are only a miserable few chapters available in Eng for manga. For the anime, I would whole-heartedly recommended the earlier adaptation which is Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (TV). Modern Kindaichi cases are kinda lacklustre and less well-crafted.

Up to episode 15, the translations are comprehensible. The first case of the anime was actually the 5th case of Kindaichi but since Kindaichi is episodic in nature and they are given sufficient introduction, it should be fine. Here's a feel of its 90's opening and ending.

OP 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIXE-YWMHM
OP 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS5a7YuUTk
ED 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LfGUZMQI8

To summarize, though it's only what is available, the first 15 episodes ( 5 cases ) of Kindaichi's 1997 anime are good introduction for someone interested in this series. Personally, I also love the ost in the series. Particularly this heavy-hearted and sorrowful tune when Kindaichi discovered a body. Kaoru Wada did a great job there.

Nice write up, I always wanted to know the main difference between Kindaichi and Detective Conan.

Usobuko

Banned
I forgot to mention that was the opinion of someone who read over 400 chapters of Detective Conan and almost everything from Kindaichi. I also seen a dozen episodes of both anime when they were aired in my country. Those were the days of my youth.

Rival wise for Kindaichi, there's 2 sexy individuals.

Vbkry7t.jpg

M52o8az.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
See in the beginning Urie and Shirazu traded a pair of Haise's boxer's for information on Torso. They got the information from Chie who's Tsukiyama's friend. And for that reason she's getting the boxer in order to have Tsukiyama to sniff it out and find out if it's Kaneki. So Chie gave it to Kanae, Tsukiyama Shuu's servant or the Shuu family servant in order to pass it on to Tsukiyama.

I get the gist of it, I remember who Urie is (the son of the dude who got killed in battle, he wore the armor to fight owl) and Shirazu was his pupil, the eccentric one who uses strings. If I recall correctly, Chie was that recently introduced character that's a chibi and takes photos and trades info. Tsukiyama is the gourmet fella right? I don't know who Kanae is, I've heard his name before and neither do I remember of Shuu... Too many names to remember to be completely honest.

Addicted to Curry

Dude, its been 2 years since the last time I read it and there hasn't been substantial updates to the most godlike cooking manga known to this planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom