• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to seem like a jerk but I have a serious question. Why hasn't Attack on Titan's art improved after 15 Vols? There have been many Mangaka's who's art have improved a lot or even a little over time, but for some reason Isayama hasn't improved. I mean the eyes of characters look bad and don't get me started on the anatomical structures of some of the Characters. Is there a reason on why he hasn't improved.

Also I'm not a hater I actually read the series and enjoy it a bit.

I don't want to seem like a jerk but I have a serious question. Why hasn't Attack on Titan's art improved after 15 Vols? There have been many Mangaka's who's art have improved a lot or even a little over time. But for some reason Isayama hasn't improved I mean the eyes of characters look bad and don't get me started on the anatomical structures of some of the Characters. Is there a reason on why he hasn't improved.

It has improved, a little. It's still not great, but if you look at the flashback scene in chapter 62 at the end compared to the first chapters, it's better. You can even look at the 2006 oneshot pitch.

And some peoples artstyle never changes or improves.
Also he doesn't really need to improve. His series is popular enough.
I do believe this is his first series too.

It has improved, a little. It's still not great, but if you look at the flashback scene a chapter or two ago compared to the first chapters, it's better.

And some peoples artstyle never changes or improves.
Also he doesn't really need to improve. His series is popular enough.

I guess it did improve a little. Still couldn't he hire some artist to help improve his art.

Then again like you said why would he need to improve when the series sells millions.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't want to seem like a jerk but I have a serious question. Why hasn't Attack on Titan's art improved after 15 Vols? There have been many Mangaka's who's art have improved a lot or even a little over time, but for some reason Isayama hasn't improved. I mean the eyes of characters look bad and don't get me started on the anatomical structures of some of the Characters. Is there a reason on why he hasn't improved.

I can see what you're saying. I've only seen the first volume of the manga at stores and man is it difficult to read. I can barely tell what was happening in the pages while the anime did it effortlessly. Maybe I have to read more but I'm waiting on the second season and watch it instead of using more brain power to comprehend the mangaka's drawings.

Jintor

So I store another branch of the same msmga store right across the street. Curious, I walked into a store i would describe as "DTL heaven"

Yes, the store had an entire spinoff location dedicated to bl

Noragami Vol.02

hUUrPOz.jpg

Hiyori is still a great gun-ho main character.
Yukine is going through his rebellious teenage phase.
Yato is somehow more sleezy.

Pretty nice to see more of this world of gods as well.

Nordicus

Yandere Kanojo 68-69

Looks like Manabu's grandfather isn't the only old heartbreaker in this manga

Complex Age (One-shot)

I enjoyed the subject matter of getting older and feeling pressured to stop doing the things you love because they're not appropriate for your age anymore. Dressing up as gothic lolita is such a distinct and unique hobby that it helped the protagonist stand out a bit.

I really want to read the serialized version (although it'll not be quite the same as the protag will be 26, not 34)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Holyland: 1 to 182

This was a really interesting martial arts manga that had me early on and kept me wanting to get to the next chapter. The pace was really consistent for the most part though i found myself skipping the last five of eight flashback chapters only because i wanted to get back to the main story. Beware though, the promise of romance may not be what one desires from stories where it plays a component. A really interesting part of this manga is the way the writer totally talks to the reader in his research note... he totally geeks out on fighting theory and as a person who read almost all of it, its totally skipable but adds a dimension of understanding to a reader seeking more. I think the ending was handled quit well...
I'm totally alone in this but i believe Yuu is dead and its ghost You roaming the night as the spirit of the streets. He als meets his girlfriends on dates so they can have ghost sex.

The Voynich Hotel 65

I don't even remember what is happening in this and I read it a month ago.

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary 16

02aaa10711.jpg

Zombie history lessons, in more ways then one.
Some pretty interesting choices for paneling in this one.

Aizo

Banned
Figures I write something about Kindaichi Case Files for anyone with a passing interest.

In this manga, you follow the adventure of a lazy and lecherous student by the name of Kindaichi. Few recognized his worth and his deductive prowess as he rarely shown motivation in anything. However, when he comes across something he felt to be an injustice surrounded by seemingly unsolvable mystery, he tackled them head-on earnestly and accompanied with a great sense of justice. In short, the series is about plucky teen detective solving murder mystery, most which are whodunit stories. Despite started serialization in Weekly Shonen Magazine in 1992, 2 years earlier than Detective Conan, Kindaichi while still mildly popular trails behind Detective Conan these days. This was to be expected because the run of Kindaichi has been inconsistent.

So someone who is more familiar with Detective Conan may ask, what's the difference? What makes Kindaichi more intriguing to Conan, what gives it a differentiated selling point?

The most notable difference is Kindaichi is centred in murder mystery whereas Conan comprise of robbery, kidnapping, heist etc on the sideline. You could say because Kindaichi is hampered by its repetitiveness, the story of Conan flows more seamlessly. The cases in Conan could happen in his daily routine activities whereas Kindaichi always need a preface for going to a secluded area where the curtains of an inevitable murder mystery was drawn. But I digress, it is also precisely of this focus where Kindaichi outshines Conan.

Every murder mystery arc has a thematic theme that fits the setting. Their origins are mostly from the urban legend that surround the place. As every arc is set in a remote place and play around a certain urban legend, it heightens the mystery atmosphere in Kindaichi. And while it could combine many elements, such as religion, fantasy and science fiction, the ending is always rooted in logic and science.

Was it really a will o wisp?

Spot something unusual? That's just a small step in guiding you to the right direction! Sometimes, murder scenes as extravagant as this and portray accordingly to the supposedly themes / urban legends are trying to disguise a deeper ploy of the culprit.

In another area where Kindaichi is more proactive in this genre is it encourages people to solve the mystery. More often than not, it drop hints in a subtle manner and requires the readers to pay close attention to every unconventional behaviour and action.

In the words of famous mystery novelist Soji Shimada, "I present all the details and then tease my readers to find the murderer".

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, for recommended cases and arc, there are only a miserable few chapters available in Eng for manga. For the anime, I would whole-heartedly recommended the earlier adaptation which is Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (TV). Modern Kindaichi cases are kinda lacklustre and less well-crafted.

Up to episode 15, the translations are comprehensible. The first case of the anime was actually the 5th case of Kindaichi but since Kindaichi is episodic in nature and they are given sufficient introduction, it should be fine. Here's a feel of its 90's opening and ending.

OP 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIXE-YWMHM
OP 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS5a7YuUTk
ED 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LfGUZMQI8

To summarize, though it's only what is available, the first 15 episodes ( 5 cases ) of Kindaichi's 1997 anime are good introduction for someone interested in this series. Personally, I also love the ost in the series. Particularly this heavy-hearted and sorrowful tune when Kindaichi discovered a body. Kaoru Wada did a great job there.

Good post. Kindaichi and Doraemon were the first manga (both on the same day) that I ever read.

wonzo

Banned
Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari

This really did feel like a Prison School prototype in that it sucks just as bad as early Prison School did, BEACH-KUN aside. Hiramoto's sure come a long way.

Prison School 148

kana ;-;

Rival wise for Kindaichi, there's 2 sexy individuals.

I personally disliked the direction that later stories went with these two, especially Takatoo.

I felt that he peaked at the Hong Kong arc (end of Part 2/before the road-trip). His subsequent apperances, imo, really shades him in an overly one-dimensional way, reeking more of something from Q, and he feels like he's nowhere near as charismatic as his old self.

The mini-story with him in high-school was... bleh. The whole "I was this way" stint felt really forced.

Still enjoyed Kindaichi, but Part I and Part II(pre-road trip) will be the peak of the franchise for me.

Peco

Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari

This really did feel like a Prison School prototype in that it sucks just as bad as early Prison School did, BEACH-KUN aside. Hiramoto's sure come a long way.

Prison School 148

kana ;-;

( ゚д゚) !?

Early Prison School was good stuff.

Usobuko

Banned
I personally disliked the direction that later stories went with these two, especially Takatoo.

I felt that he peaked at the Hong Kong arc (end of Part 2/before the road-trip). His subsequent apperances, imo, really shades him in an overly one-dimensional way, reeking more of something from Q, and he feels like he's nowhere near as charismatic as his old self.

The mini-story with him in high-school was... bleh. The whole "I was this way" stint felt really forced.

Still enjoyed Kindaichi, but Part I and Part II(pre-road trip) will be the peak of the franchise for me.

Yes, everything before the road trip was better.

I'm still reading for old time sake though.

Good post. Kindaichi and Doraemon were the first manga (both on the same day) that I ever read.

First manga I bought was Kindaichi so I guess I'm in the same boat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dunno how many people are still following this, but here's week 7 of the short reads club after a hiatus.

Week 7
G-Maru Edition by Kawashita Mizuki
Sneewittchen - Geschichten nach Grimm by MOROHOSHI Daijirou
Ano Ko no Ie by KUMAZAWA Mikiko
Azumanga Daioh - Hoshuuhen by Azuma Kiyohiko
Koganeiro by YOKOTA Takuma

I'm kind of surprised that Doraemon is the first manga for so many people.

Like how david hasselhoff is big in germany, doraemon is big in South east asia.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bleach
Oh hey, Orihime remembered she has healing powers for the first time in years. Though Kubo still didn't let her use them. Despite there being 4 other dead/injured Zero division members around her.... Sigh.

One Piece
Another bites the dust

Who do we even have left in the hero group around there? Zoro, Sai, Hakuba/Cabbage, Barto and King Punch dude vs Pica and Gladius?

Zweizer

Banned
Dunno how many people are still following this, but here's week 7 of the short reads club after a hiatus.

Week 7

And here I thought I could dedicate myself to reading 7 Seeds. A bunch of long ones too. (; ̄__ ̄)

Like how david hasselhoff is big in germany, doraemon is big in South east asia.

One would think something from Tezuka would be more well-known.

Usobuko

Banned
Week 7

It's been a while, only read Koganeiro here.

I'll assume Hoshuuhen is kinda like a epilogue or mini sequel for Azumanga. I had read a couple of chapters of G-Maru before putting it off and if it appears on the short manga club list it basically mean it fails to sustain the serialization run. That said, I have some expectations for Sneewittchen - Geschichten nach Grimm and Ano Ko no le. Both looks up my alley.

One would think something from Tezuka would be more well-known.

I never heard of Tezuka until I venture outside of the shounen works. I doubt it's any different for many here.

Astro boy yes, Tezuka nah.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hey, 7 seeds takes priority.

Also I honestly have not heard of tezuka till I was 17-18, and I've read manga since I was... 5? 6?

Zweizer

Banned
I never heard of Tezuka until I venture outside of the shounen works. I doubt it's any different for many here.

Astro boy yes, Tezuka nah.

Yeah I was thinking of Astro Boy in particular (and maybe Kimba).

Hey, 7 seeds takes priority.

Also I honestly have not heard of tezuka till I was 17-18, and I've read manga since I was... 5? 6?

My break time is being reduced to nothing with all these manga to read ( T__T)

I didn't particularily "read" Tezuka either, but I knew about Astro Boy before Doraemon, even though I read the latter first.

Kurita

Honestly it's one of the reasons why I love the series, I love the art. I can see why some people don't like it but to me it's one of its strong points. Didn't like the anime because it looked so clean.

Zweizer

Banned
Honestly it's one of the reasons why I love the series, I love the art. I can see why some people don't like it but to me it's one of its strong points. Didn't like the anime because it looked so clean.

You'd probably love Dorohedoro then.

(Not that I'm saying Dorohedoro's art is ugly, it's the opposite, but the author uses soft pencils for the drawings, giving its charasteristic rough-looking artstyle.)

Jintor

I need to up my japanese to the point where I can at least read the fucking titles of things at a glance because trying to browse a bookstore at this point is a torturous experience in being a complete baby with language

again

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch148

Hang in there, Hana!

The Voynich Hotel ch65

With the direction things are going, I wonder if it's a sign that the finale is coming up soon.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch56

Love is a battlefield~

Yandere Kanojo ch68-69

What a crazy trip.

Genshiken Nidaime ch106

I'm rooting for you, Yajimacchi!

(Not sure if I should pity Kikuchi.)

Nukoduke! ch49

What kind of person might her owner be~?

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary ch16

Well, that was pretty weird, that's for sure.

Complex Age (One-shot) by Sakuma Yui

A heartbreaking tale about the relationship between gothloli and adulthood.

Maga-Tsuki ch43

What is going on.

Nightbird

Time for another Weekly Shonen Jump ToC!

Isuue #06-07/2015 (Doubleissue, To be sold in Stores starting Mo. 5th.01.2015)

O0tjO0L.jpg

• 01. Assassination Classroom (Opening Colour Pages) 122
  • 02. Toriko 307
  • 03. One Piece 772
  • 04. My Hero Academia 25
  • 05. Haikyû!! 140
  • 06. Gakkyuu Houtei School Jugdement 5
  • 07. Gintama 524
  • 08. Hinomaru Zumou 31
  • 09. Tiger-ani to Dragon: One Shot by Tamura Ryuuhei (Colour Pages, 49 Seiten)
  • 10. Nisekoi 153
  • 11. Bleach 611
  • 12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma (Colour Pages) 101
  • 13. The Story of Isobe Isobee
  • 14. Takujou no Ageha: The table Tennis of Ageha 7
  • 15. Kochikame
  • 16. E-Robot 6
  • 17. Hi-Fi Cluster 16
  • 18. Judos 17
  • 19. The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki 130
  • 20. Moteki Magic by Horiki Genki (One Shot Replacement for World Trigger)
  • 21. Sporting Salt 15

Missing: HunterxHunter (Hiatus), World Trigger

Preview for next Issue: #08/2015 (In Stores starting : Mo. 19th.01.2015)
Gintama (Cover and Opening Colourpages for 11th Anniversary)
Nisekoi (Colourpages)
Bokura wa Zatsuniwa Manabanai (One Shot by Nishio Ishin (Story) and Mizuki Kawashita (Illustration)

upandaway

I need to up my japanese to the point where I can at least read the fucking titles of things at a glance because trying to browse a bookstore at this point is a torturous experience in being a complete baby with language

again
How're you doing in terms of reading the actual content

Time for another Weekly Shonen Jump ToC!

Isuue #06-07/2015 (Doubleissue, To be sold in Stores starting Mo. 5th.01.2015)

O0tjO0L.jpg

• 01. Assassination Classroom (Opening Colour Pages) 122
  • 02. Toriko 307
  • 03. One Piece 772
  • 04. My Hero Academia 25
  • 05. Haikyû!! 140
  • 06. Gakkyuu Houtei School Jugdement 5
  • 07. Gintama 524
  • 08. Hinomaru Zumou 31
  • 09. Tiger-ani to Dragon: One Shot by Tamura Ryuuhei (Colour Pages, 49 Seiten)
  • 10. Nisekoi 153
  • 11. Bleach 611
  • 12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma (Colour Pages) 101
  • 13. The Story of Isobe Isobee
  • 14. Takujou no Ageha: The table Tennis of Ageha 7
  • 15. Kochikame
  • 16. E-Robot 6
  • 17. Hi-Fi Cluster 16
  • 18. Judos 17
  • 19. The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki 130
  • 20. Moteki Magic by Horiki Genki (One Shot Replacement for World Trigger)
  • 21. Sporting Salt 15

Missing: HunterxHunter (Hiatus), World Trigger

Preview for next Issue: #08/2015 (In Stores starting : Mo. 19th.01.2015)
Gintama (Cover and Opening Colourpages for 11th Anniversary)
Nisekoi (Colourpages)
Bokura wa Zatsuniwa Manabanai (One Shot by Nishio Ishin (Story) and Mizuki Kawashita (Illustration)

Not expecting the next issues Ageha to have a good position.

I wish there was World Trigger :(

Jintor

boku girl 1

I don't know where I picked up the idea that this was a serious look at tg themes but it appears I was mistaken

Still kinda interesting and the art is damn pretty so I'll stick with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom