• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
dxevk99.png

You know, I originally thought that Momo got her lewd personality from her dad.

But after this chapter, I'm starting to believe she inherited it from dear ol' mom instead.

Rhapsody

Banned
Prison School 148

Another Hana chapter is a good chapter. Hilarious that her solution is just to kill Kate lol

I totally forgot about the footage Kate has until now though.

upandaway

Itoshi no Karin 19

Hahaha, the good old lockscreen feint. I employed that technique once too, incredibly useful.

Kinda crazy that she'd chase him that far but I'm into it.

Itoshi no Karin 20 (end)

everything was worth it just for this page

Lain

It's just a volume, but I feel Assasination Classroom has already worn out its premise.....

The first volume left me lukewarm, but I thought it only gets better from the 2nd volume onward. I'm on volume 4 and I love it. I think the introduction of Bitch, the asshole director (that I hope will lose) and some other characters really improves the mood and direction of the whole thing.

Dr. Slump's on sale at Comixology, $4.99 a volume. I've been wanting to get into this for a while; y'all recommend I start with vol. 1 or is there a later entry point worth considering?

Kurita

The first volume left me lukewarm, but I thought it only gets better from the 2nd volume onward. I'm on volume 4 and I love it. I think the introduction of Bitch, the asshole director (that I hope will lose) and some other characters really improves the mood and direction of the whole thing.

Yup, every volume is better than the previous one imo

I really love Viz signature. Bit better paper, bigger size, nice pseudo dust jacket and color pages. I hope Phantom Blood sells well. It would be great if they continued past Stardust Crusaders....

From Tokyo to Another Universe

I had read previously two short stories from this compilation, which to be honest they were the best ones so I just read now the rest. But still, it's more from Masao Ohtake, master of surreal humor and creator of Hinamatsuri so I won't complain.

The surprise is the last story, a much more serious one. In fact the author recognizes the change and switch to a subtly more realistic style, interestingly enough. Or maybe this story was made previously and that's why it has another style in both writing and drawing.

In any case, a good compilation.

Lain

After reading the first volume of Love at Fourteen I feel like ranting once again about the way Yen Press handles onomatopoeia localizations but I won't, I'll just say that I dislike their localization job when it comes to onomatopoeia and I wish they stopped doing it the way they're doing it now, because as it stands it feels like neither fish nor fowl.

Pokemon Black and White Vol.19

I did like how they gave the triplets a reason for not being gym leaders, even if Keldeo and the other three Musketeers felt shoehorned in. Well we're reaching the final showdown between N and Black so can't wait for this to be over.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sakamichi no Apollon - End

Due to a series of unintentional accidents, I read the last chapter of this manga which really made me regret ever watching the anime since the anime's ending soured the whole series for me. My regret comes from the fact that the manga wrapped up the series in a way I really would have been willing to accept.

While I really enjoyed both the music and the animation of the anime, it became a sour nihilistic experience in my eyes as if felt like the writer was destroying everything that was created in the story while failing to each what ever intangible feeling they were trying to explain in the end; it wasn't beautiful to me at all. How and why did the anime get the conclusion so wrong when it was so beautifully done in the manga?

Quasar

Genshiken Nadame 97 - So we have a love triangle. huzzah.

This web of relationships around Madarame is getting complicated.

Quasar

So is there a Manga vote? Or are people not interested because folks outside mangagaf would all vote for unending shonen?

i'd like such a vote just to get exposed to books I wouldnt normally think aboutI

Rhapsody

Banned
Sakamichi no Apollon - End

Due to a series of unintentional accidents, I read the last chapter of this manga which really made me regret ever watching the anime since the anime's ending soured the whole series for me. My regret comes from the fact that the manga wrapped up the series in a way I really would have been willing to accept.

While I really enjoyed both the music and the animation of the anime, it became a sour nihilistic experience in my eyes as if felt like the writer was destroying everything that was created in the story while failing to each what ever intangible feeling they were trying to explain in the end; it wasn't beautiful to me at all. How and why did the anime get the conclusion so wrong when it was so beautifully done in the manga?
Oh, the manga was different? I need to go about reading that then. Is it just a different conclusion or is there just overall more content past where the anime left off?

Jintor

Genshiken Nadame 97 - So we have a love triangle. huzzah.

This web of relationships around Madarame is getting complicated.

And irritating!

When I think of Madarame, I think of two things: Viral's voice actor, and that one time he went to a department store to dress himself up and he wasn't complete shit at it.

What's the name of that manga the mangaka did...? Spotted Flowers?

Zweizer

Banned
So is there a Manga vote? Or are people not interested because folks outside mangagaf would all vote for unending shonen?

i'd like such a vote just to get exposed to books I wouldnt normally think aboutI

I personally find these kinds of contests pointless, as it would just generally be a repeat appearance of various popular or classic manga, even if we exclude the mainstream shonens.

As far as obscure suggestions go, I think the current reading clubs fulfill that role pretty well.

And irritating!

When I think of Madarame, I think of two things: Viral's voice actor, and that one time he went to a department store to dress himself up and he wasn't complete shit at it.

What's the name of that manga the mangaka did...? Spotted Flowers?

Yeah, Spotted Flower, which is basically if Madarame married Saki.

I'm guessing a huge part of the current events revolving around Madarame's harem is due to his popularity among the readers.

dani_dc

I personally find these kinds of contests pointless, as it would just generally be a repeat appearance of various popular or classic manga, even if we exclude the mainstream shonens.

As far as obscure suggestions go, I think the current reading clubs fulfill that role pretty well.

I'll agree with that.

I doubt we'd get many interesting mangas in a voting thread that aren't already mentioned in this thread. We'd just see a bunch of well known mangas and the more interesting obscure titles would likely fail to even break into the top 10.

dani_dc

Prison School 148

Art.
RAAIl0P.png

Risa finally went truly S on Andre. Her only mistake was apologizing, but she only did she after knocking him out so I'll forgive her the mistake.

Hana reaction is the appropriate and expected one, I can believe she would actually kill Kate over this. I'm really curious over how this will unfold.

Quasar

I guess manga going for years and years makes it play out differently to the anime votes. I wonder if limiting it to titles whose first chapter came out this year would make much difference. Admittedly that would rule out most of the books that are talked about here.

Yeah, Spotted Flower, which is basically if Madarame married Saki.

I quite like that one.

I'm guessing a huge part of the current events revolving around Madarame's harem is due to his popularity among the readers.

I just wish we could have more Angela.

Zweizer

Banned
I guess manga going for years and years makes it play out differently to the anime votes. I wonder if limiting it to titles whose first chapter came out this year would make much difference. Admittedly that would rule out most of the books that are talked about here.

Limiting the selection to the works that came out this year would actually make it far more interesting. Not sure how feasible it is to organize a vote at this point though.

Usobuko

Banned
Rather than watching the stuff I like got to the top spots or having a broad-based list where obscure titles are left scraping for bread crumbs, isn't it more fun when someone provides an alternate perspective or question your stance?

It's not like one have to agree since most of the time the conversation boils down to "I understand what you're saying but I liked it anyway."

Quasar

Limiting the selection to the works that came out this year would actually make it far more interesting. Not sure how feasible it is to organize a vote at this point though.

I dont even know where you'd get a list of titles to point people to if you held a vote. If I did I'd consider running such a thing.

I'm not sure for instance I could do a mal search to show manga that started in 2014. Nor on manga updates.

And then there's the question about whether it should only include books who got official translations or not, given the murky legaility at best of reading fan translations.

Jintor

I just wish it (horimiya) was more visually distinctive

Half the characters blend into other characters and it just gets worse the more characters are introduced

Zweizer

Banned
Rather than watching the stuff I like got to the top spots or having a broad-based list where obscure titles are left scraping for bread crumbs, isn't it more fun when someone provides an alternate perspective or question your stance?

It's not like one have to agree since most of the time the conversation boils down to "I understand what you're saying but I liked it anyway."

I'd say most of the time the readers here are already quite vocal as far as criticisms and debates go, though the latter are admittedly somewhat rare.

I dont even know where you'd get a list of titles to point people to if you held a vote. If I did I'd consider running such a thing.

I'm not sure for instance I could do a mal search to show manga that started in 2014. Nor on manga updates.

And then there's the question about whether it should only include books who got official translations or not, given the murky legaility at best of reading fan translations.

I guess it's better to ask dramatis and the mods for details concerning its setup. Not sure if there are many people who'd be interested to participate in such an event either.

Rainy

Banned
I just wish it (horimiya) was more visually distinctive

Half the characters blend into other characters and it just gets worse the more characters are introduced
I agree. I like Hori's design but with so many people having the same hair color it gets confusing sometimes.

survivor

Banned

How many manga released in 2014 do people even read? Outside of stuff published in Jump you would be hard pressed to find other titles where more than couple of people have read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom