• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Doffy doesn't want the D.

Oh well, two consecutive weeks for color pages for My Hero Academia. This is the series Viz needs to add to WSJ. The reception shows it has staying power. I'd sub to it if they did that.

Akito

One Piece
Oh shit, Doffy for Strawhat.

Really cool chapter so that I'm even bothering post about it. Oda managed to make the Doflamingo family seem like a really close-knit family, with Doffy caring quite a lot for his family members despite him being a warped-minded bastard. I also laughed at every occasion of Corazon pulling a Corazon.

Law being a D. seems a little shoehorned so hopefully we'll get at least some hints about what it means to be a D. soon. More than being former Celestial Dragons, I believe they are remnants of the enemies the former world government fought with.

Zweizer

Banned
That review talked about stripping away the senpais which I thought wasn't the best as the arc they covered isn't as strong without their hovering presence. Either way it amazes me that this is a actually a thing, and it had run for a few shows.

Why wouldn't they want the senpais to make an appearance? To diminish costs/free up schedules? I agree that I really wasn't expecting an actual musical though. I thought AKB49 has decent but not extraordinary sales?

Naruto

Remember this fight at the end of part 1 with all kinds of cool jutsu and martial arts

Now this fight at the end of part 2 is literally giant energy beams being shot at each other

:/

One Piece

!!!!! :O

Holy crap I didn't see that twist coming

ffdgh

Naruto
Naruto please...How you can consider Sasuke of all people your best friend is baffling lol.

One PieceW
I actually felt pitty for Doflamingo. Trafalgar "D" Law...Has a nice ring to it. :p

dani_dc

One Piece 763

That background for Doffy was actually pretty heavy. Seeing his dad regret becoming a "human" was pretty sad.
His pirate crew was a legit pirate crew too, which is always nice to see.
Trafalgar D Law, nice. Going to be interesting to see some more background on "D" and it's connection with the World Goverment/Void time/Celestial Dragons.

Haikyuu!! 124

Ennoshita deserves tons more time. His words to get everyone calmed down even when the tempo was disrupted was great. I fervently hope we get a second year with him playing a pivotal role, and that this series doesnt end just when the third years graduate and such.

Pachael

Why wouldn't they want the senpais to make an appearance? To diminish costs/free up schedules? I agree that I really wasn't expecting an actual musical though. I thought AKB49 has decent but not extraordinary sales?

I think it's a combination of 'who'd to cast them', 'we've got a shoestring budget for this', and just time - getting all those extra events in the narrative would really stretch the runtime of the show.

Zweizer

Banned
I think it's a combination of 'who'd to cast them', 'we've got a shoestring budget for this', and just time - getting all those extra events in the narrative would really stretch the runtime of the show.

Yeah that's what I guessed. It can't be easy or cheap to gather all of them together considering most of them have busy schedules attending other events. Oh well, it's already pretty amazing that they put out a musical about this.

Haikyuu!! 125
BzbcOG9CcAMdGcy.png

Reasons Ennoshita. I hope he starts or plays in the next match, sorry Daichi :(

Bleach
Im not even surprised anymore. I still remember when Quincies just used bows.

Naruto
4 more chapters.

One Piece
Oda going heavy with the deaths and tragicness of a character. Damn. Guess Im going to have to jump back to the anime for these flashbacks.

Haikyuu!! 126
Bzbedb1CYAI41pU.png

I want another season just to see koganegawa in action. He's hilarious for Datekou new setter and that block (though it was against Oikawa which is unforgivable) was one of the best Datekou moments in all the manga. How Koganegawa just ran up there to fit in as Oikawa was preparing. Poor Futakuchi.

Bleach

How do you do the big 600 without any kind of major fanfare? Its an okay chapter but come on no color page? No Ichigo or other shocking character showing up?

Haikyuu!! 127

On the edge of my seat at this moment, I need Aobajosai to advance so we can get yet another Karasuno v Aobajosai match (and Aobajosai to win). I still dont want a losing Oikawa. But then I like the new Datekou and their teams impregnable wall setup that I want to see how Karasuno would get past it. Why do all the best teams have to play each other :(

UQ Holder 53

I want this arc animated its so good with the zombie bioterrorism and niichan.

But the ending panel, Im glad at least we arent going to be spamming save points in multiple arcs.

Akito

You can't be serious about this.
I mean, I don't think there is any battle in OP right now that match Luffy vs Rob Lucci, Zoro vs Kaku, and Sanji vs Jabura.
They're not really comparable, Sabaody was more of a buildup arc ala Water 7, of course there weren't any major fights.

dani_dc

You can't be serious about this.
I mean, I don't think there is any battle in OP right now that match Luffy vs Rob Lucci, Zoro vs Kaku, and Sanji vs Jabura.

It wasn't about the battles, it was about the world building, the Celestial Dragons, mermaids, the slave business, Rayleigh, the other rookies. Also it was the first time the strawhats were actually in a fight they couldn't win, no matter how good Luffy vs Lucci or Zoro vs Kaku were, they basically followed the same structure as every other fight in every other OP arc. Sabaody broke away from this.

Shengar

They're not really comparable, Sabaody was more of a buildup arc ala Water 7, of course there weren't any major fights.

It wasn't about the battles, it was about the world building, the Celestial Dragons, mermaids, the slave business, Rayleigh, the other rookies. Also it was the first time the strawhats were actually in a fight they couldn't win, no matter how good Luffy vs Lucci or Zoro vs Kaku were, they basically followed the same structure as every other fight in every other OP arc. Sabaody broke away from this.

If you put it that way, I can agree somehow. But Enies Lobby arc isn't only battle as it still have Robin's Flashback/ Ohara Arc as well. Not as extensive as Sabaody, but it was a major worldbuilding as well.

Bleach
i had high hopes those new SR would havev been strong and not fodder. I knew they would be useless. This is why I read Bleach. A whole series of chapters about fights between undeveloped characters and just introduced characters because the power scale is so fucked up that the characters we've spent the last decade or so with are completely useless. Bravo Kubo, Bravo.

>guy 2: "*slashes guy 1* Ha, I killed you"
>guy 1: "Heh, nothing personal kid *teleports behind guy 2* You never even touched me"
>guy 2: "Nani?"
>guy 1: "It's over with this attack! *explosion splash page*"
>guy 2: "*smoke fades* You seriously thought that would kill me? *reveals power up*"
>guy 1: "Impossible!"
>guy 2: "Die. *attacks guy 1 again*"
>at this point guy 1 could either die, or come back and continue the cycle until a winner is decided by Kubo

Literally the worst battle shonen ever written.

One piece

How is it Oda can make each chapter feel 2-3x as long as a single Bleach chapter? Who knows. But, a godly chapter once more.

MSMrRound

Water 7/Enies Lobbies is my fav back-to-back One Piece arc by far. It's even better animated.

Too bad the Toei quality went down after that.

Fishmen Isle/Punk Hazard were the worst. Urgh. Only a couple of parts at the end slightly redeemed them...

Bleach
i had high hopes those new SR would havev been strong and not fodder. I knew they would be useless. This is why I read Bleach. A whole series of chapters about fights between undeveloped characters and just introduced characters because the power scale is so fucked up that the characters we've spent the last decade or so with are completely useless. Bravo Kubo, Bravo.

>guy 1: "Heh, nothing personal kid *teleports behind guy 2* You never even touched me"
>guy 2: "*smoke fades* You seriously thought that would kill me? *reveals power up*"
>at this point guy 1 could either die, or come back and continue the cycle until a winner is decided by Kubo

One piece

How is it Oda can make each chapter feel 2-3x as long as a single Bleach chapter? Who knows. But, a godly chapter once more.

Holy shit, it's sad I can actually visualize some Bleach fights based on that description and I haven't read it in years

Also, It's because Oda wants you to READ his chapter

Water 7/Enies Lobbies is my fav back-to-back One Piece arc by far. It's even better animated.

Fishmen Isle/Punk Hazard were the worst. Urgh. Only a couple of parts at the end slightly redeemed them...

I didn't hate them, but yeah looking back those arcs had almost too much comedy and not alot of progression

Compare them to this arc, which I can honestly say is one of the best in the series and they look worse. I honestly don't know what the One Piece world is going to be like after this arc.

dani_dc

If you put it that way, I can agree somehow. But Enies Lobby arc isn't only battle as it still have Robin's Flashback/ Ohara Arc as well. Not as extensive as Sabaody, but it was a major worldbuilding as well.

I still enjoyed Enies Lobby a lot, fights and world bulding all the same, but when it comes down to it I preferred how different and word-bulding focused Sabaody was.

Impel down was by far the worst offender of Toei quality, it actually has more anime episodes than manga chapters.

Impel down was by far the worst offender of Toei quality, it actually has more anime episodes than manga chapters.

I wish Toei would give the animators more time, it's not like they're incompetent. The animation quality for One Piece OVAs and movies are generally aces.

(I know it's a budget thing but in terms of skill)

dani_dc

Isn't it from Impel Down onwards that it became 1 chapter = 1 episode?

That happened at some point during Enies Lobbies if I recall, where they had 1/3rd of an episode being a resume of the previous episode. At least they weren't stretching the material itself too thin. Then after Enies Lobbies they just adopted 1 chapter = 1 episode without the resume.

Zweizer

Banned
That happened at some point during Enies Lobbies if I recall, where they had 1/3rd of an episode being a resume of the previous episode. At least they weren't stretching the material itself too thin. Then after Enies Lobbies they just adopted 1 chapter = 1 episode without the resume.

Now that you mention it, I remember during Enies Lobbies where they thought it was a good idea to show the flashback of pretty much every Straw Hat during the time Luffy was dragging everyone to jump with him.

Good times.

Nothing can be worst than the War arc when it comes to that .
It had more eps and most of the war arc chapters were shorter than normal also .
Side note this is the first time i feel kinda bad for the villain in a OP arc .

Now that you mention it, I remember during Enies Lobbies where they thought it was a good idea to show the flashback of pretty much every Straw Hat during the time Luffy was dragging everyone to jump with him.

Good times.

I remember that, thankfully I was marathoning at the time so I just skipped them

LeleSocho

Banned
Feels like i'm repeating myself but to me W7/Enies Lobby was the last really great One Piece arc... but hey maybe this arc really is better (i really really doubt it) but after Naruto ends i must have something to replace it and maybe it'll even be One Piece itself.

Zweizer

Banned
Ringing the Golden Bell in Skypiea is by far my favourite moment.

Skypiea is so good. I can see people being annoyed at its somewhat messy pacing and not very interesting fights, but I like it for the great backstory and world building with a more pronounced sense of adventure and exploration.

Feels like i'm repeating myself but to me W7/Enies Lobby was the last really great One Piece arc... but hey maybe this arc really is better (i really really doubt it) but after Naruto ends i must have something to replace it and maybe it'll even be One Piece itself.

Maybe you should start reading Kingdom.

Or Jitsu wa Watashi wa~

Bleach

Hahaha This is sadly spot on.

One piece

and 50x Longer than hajimi no ippo chapters. Goda is amazing.

Averon

Naruto

Shikamaru has been a far better friend to Naruto since childhood, but it's Sasuke who has been Naruto best friend?

Lol

dani_dc

Why would you continue to read Naruto instead of One Piece?

Maybe you should start reading Kingdom.

Or Jitsu wa Watashi wa~

Kingdom is fun but it feels a bit too "samey" at this, having a semi-realistic scenario with shonen troops hurts it more than it helps.

Everyone should check Jitsu wa Watashi wa though.

Naruto

Shikamaru has been a far better friend to Naruto since childhood, but it's Sasuke who has been Naruto best friend?

Lol

Yeah, Shikamaru got the short end of the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom