• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

Who else would be fitting to replace Kishimoto? Hiro Mashima?

A mystery that will be left unanswered. KyoAni seems to have an issue with sequels.

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro?
ibwy2XEdreX4ir.jpg

Not denying Haruhi's popularity. It was pretty much responsible for the LN craze I think.

Not much of a craze but more like oh who needs to write a story and/or wait for a manga to reach a certain point, when there's a completely untapped piles of light novel to adapt.

And also writing is so much easier than drawing pictures, lets make a LN!

Big One

Banned
One Piece A

Oda continues to do something outside the normal realm of weekly shonen manga: Good storytelling and development. Great stuff.

Naruto F

Meh can we get this over with please? Talk about a fight that has no impact or importance whatsoever.

Bleach C

What a TWEEST.

hmmm

Sounds like One Piece is getting back in the groove

might check it out one of these days
I had my doubts about Dressrosa at first, thinking it was going to be another Fishman Island style arc, but I've been really impressed with what Oda's done with this arc. If Oda closes it right, it'll be better than any arc he's ever done in the past thus-far. Everything has been coming together and clicking for this arc whether it's a flashback or one of the mainline stories.

Doflamingo and his pirates are easily the best villains in the entire series in terms of variety, personality, development, you name it. Plus Doflamingo is pretty much the first villain since Akainu that could actually feesably beat the shit out of Luffy, so we're getting back to the mode where Luffy actually gets challenged in his fights instead of just one-shotting the character.

Not much of a craze but more like oh who needs to write a story and/or wait for a manga to reach a certain point, when there's a completely untapped piles of light novel to adapt.

"My shit is fucked up so I got to shot/slice demons while my sister wants to have sex with me"

Zweizer

Banned

Yeah it showed that LN adaptations could be popular and triggered a chain reaction of more LNs > more LNs adaptations > more LNs.

It's not really up to them. If Kadokawa wanted to fund a sequel, it would have been done.

I'd have thought Kadokawa would be eager to greenlight a sequel considering the success of the anime. Oh well, who knows what transpired behind the scenes.

Haruhi was popular then.

It was originally just a rebroadcast of the 1st season. And yeah, new episodes suddenly appeared. And then they did Endless Eight which was the greatest thing of mankind.

I was legitimately hyped when i heard of Haruhi season 2, then eventually i forgot about it along the way and heard of the trolling they did with the broadcast some time afterwards. lol

Now (with the LNs and everything out) i just dont care.

I was expecting something decent since Dom is the bad guy here tbh and it sounds like he's delivering but i'll just wait until the arc is done until i go through it

ryan13ts

One Piece

So Law was a D after all? Interesting... I'm very curious as to why Cora says Law should be as far away from Doffy as possible since he's a D.... Maybe Doffy is a D as well (He certainly has the traits to be one) and this could cause some sort of conflict? Hopefully Oda will FINALLY give us some info regarding the Will of D next chapter. it's been almost 15 years since it was first mentioned and we still know nothing about it, I'd say it's well past time to drop some information about it.

Also, baby Baby-5 is soooooooo cute! Infant Dellinger is pretty adorable too (Although why Doffy let an infant be in his crew is beyond me). .

Quixzlizx

I'm curious, what were you reading back then?
One has to wonder how MangaGAF has managed to last this long under this kind of climate, and how the transition to the state it is now occured.

Roughly the same mixture of stuff I read now... as an example, I remember being the only person to ever post an impression of a Countrouble chapter at that time.

Unfortunately I've also met people that would randomly go off rails like Yuzuki.

And Haruto emotional attachment to Yuzuki, while extremely unhealthy, wasn't flat out batshit insane like Yamato.

I'm trying to figure out how fucking livid I would be if my girlfriend dropped off the face of the Earth, then told me to fuck off when I moved to her city and tracked her down (I probably wouldn't have done this part), and I then found out that she had dumped me for her terminally ill ex.

Big One

Banned
Attack on Titan caught up

I'm sorry but this is stupid. I do not buy this story right now at all ranging from overpowering the government to all of these Military Police Brigade vs. Survey Corp fights. They really need to get back to the main focus of the series...finding the basement.

Just sloppy writing in general. If the series keeps this up it's going to be the new Narutu.

Zweizer

Banned
Roughly the same mixture of stuff I read now... as an example, I remember being the only person to ever post an impression of a Countrouble chapter at that time.

It's somehow sad to imagine the main romance discussions back then would be pairing wars of the Big 3. Countrouble is pretty nice. Dumb fun. scy wasn't there to back you up on Countrouble? Bad scy.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

I'm sorry but this is stupid. I do not buy this story right now at all ranging from overpowering the government to all of these Military Police Brigade vs. Survey Corp fights. They really need to get back to the main focus of the series...finding the basement.

Just sloppy writing in general. If the series keeps this up it's going to be the new Narutu.
Now that they got the coup stuff out the way, they can actually get stuff done.

Zweizer

Banned
Suzuka ch75

Please don't go after Yamato anymore. You deserve someone better than this blockhead.

Suzuka ch76

Oh ahaha.

Suzuka ch77

I hope this means things have been settled with Honoka.

Suzuka ch78

Ahahaha what the fuck. Don't fall for his trap Miki!

Suzuka ch79

Oh motherfucker now you're worried about commiting a sexual assault???

Suzuka ch80

*yawn*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There was nothing wrong with it at all. I'm assuming by "sloppy writing" you mean "not enough giantzombies to suit my taste."

Unless you'd care to elaborate on what is actually "sloppy writing."

Naruto F

Meh can we get this over with please? Talk about a fight that has no impact or importance whatsoever.

lol welcome back troll-san

And uh, they are getting over with. Naruto ends on November 5th.

scy

I'm curious, what were you reading back then?
One has to wonder how MangaGAF has managed to last this long under this kind of climate, and how the transition to the state it is now occured.

Off-hand, TLR (and by extension, TLR:D) was what really got the ball rolling for smut. But just general other stuff like TWGOK, Silver Spoon, etc. over time getting popular enough to be constantly discussed on the "off" days and then it kind of went on its own from there.

Zweizer

Banned
Off-hand, TLR (and by extension, TLR:D) was what really got the ball rolling for smut. But just general other stuff like TWGOK, Silver Spoon, etc. over time getting popular enough to be constantly discussed on the "off" days and then it kind of went on its own from there.

I guess I should give some credit to TLR for making MangaGAF a better place then.

Wasnt Aunt Tits that did it?

dani_dc

Suzuka 78

-Want to go visit my home town?
Sure.
--next day---
-Why didn't you decide where to go?!
..it's your home town.
-IT'S A BOYFRIEND JOB TO DECIDE WHERE TO GO!

Goddamnit, What is wrong with Suzuka?

I'm trying to figure out how fucking livid I would be if my girlfriend dropped off the face of the Earth, then told me to fuck off when I moved to her city and tracked her down (I probably wouldn't have done this part), and I then found out that she had dumped me for her terminally ill ex.
Not a comfortable place to be in, easy to screw up someone perspective due to the emotional toll it would have in someone, which is why I didn't think his reaction was particularly out there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the drop in quality of the big 3 across the board and the separate threads for them probably helped more. It's not like people just suddenly decided to read different stuff.

The separate threads only really materialized recently. The real reason I think Big 3 chat has gone down is that the people who caused massive amounts of arguments about it got banned so often they stopped posting with regularity and/or got permed.

Big One

Banned
There was nothing wrong with it at all. I'm assuming by "sloppy writing" you mean "not enough giantzombies to suit my taste."

Unless you'd care to elaborate on what is actually "sloppy writing."
For one to feasible shake the core of the kingdom (which is the only governing body in Attack of Titan thus-far), it isn't going to take a group a simple coup to outright outweigh any power the kingdom has had. This is a manga that has established time and time again that the King rules all and pretty much has power over everyone else.

There isn't a problem with the coup itself, as in the idea of going against the King, but the execution has been nothing but sloppy. You have random attacks from the Military Police Brigade on the Survey Corps all of a sudden, and we're supposed to believe the public are outcasting the Survey corps and viewing them bad now for what?

The coup should've went on for longer and should've built up the threat of the King as something important, which the whole series has been building towards for the most part. Now it's just "over with" it makes the entire threat minimal at best.

"But it's only a manga." ok that's a fine argument...but Attack on Titan is a story made so it's readers take it seriously, so you simply cannot ignore sloppy things like this unless you want to be blissfully unaware of what the author's intent is. It's quite obvious the author is trying to depict a message that "humans are bad" and the "authority is bad," considering he's already spent nearly half of the chapters in the series thus-far making that point obvious with psuedo-philosophical preachy things in the series that are full of strawmen arguments.

lol welcome back troll-san

And uh, they are getting over with. Naruto ends on November 5th.
Ok? I guess that means Naruto isn't shit anymore...not really.

Naruto is still going to be awful even after it ends.

Yeah, because not having enough titan fights is the new Narutu. Your post is sloppy:

The main focus of the series is finding out the mysteries. Finding the basement (and it wasn't even a sure clue, just maybe there is something there) was only a way to get that goal, not the goal itself: information.

Which they are doing it already. We learned about shifter titans, the existence of a outside titan village, about the coordinate, some of the new powers, the monkey titan, the Wall cult, the royal family and their secrets, how possibly the city was formed, etc etc. As any good mystery series, it isn't discovering all the secrets in one go, just little by little, and presenting some more questions while they present some answers.

You have to be pretty naive to believe finding the basement would serve for anything, as at this point talking with the king would give them much more information.
Which funnily enough, the Reiss family is where the plot is pointing at for some chapters already. So the manga is doing exactly what you are claiming isn't doing it.

Angry Grimace

For one to feasible shake the core of the kingdom (which is the only governing body in Attack of Titan thus-far), it isn't going to take a group a simple coup to outright outweigh any power the kingdom has had. This is a manga that has established time and time again that the King rules all and pretty much has power over everyone else.

There isn't a problem with the coup itself, as in the idea of going against the King, but the execution has been nothing but sloppy. You have random attacks from the Military Police Brigade on the Survey Corps all of a sudden, and we're supposed to believe the public are outcasting the Survey corps and viewing them bad now for what?

The coup should've went on for longer and should've built up the threat of the King as something important, which the whole series has been building towards for the most part. Now it's just "over with" it makes the entire threat minimal at best.

"But it's only a manga." ok that's a fine argument...but Attack on Titan is a story made so it's readers take it seriously, so you simply cannot ignore sloppy things like this unless you want to be blissfully unaware of what the author's intent is. It's quite obvious the author is trying to depict a message that "human's are bad" and the "authority is bad," considering he's already spent nearly half of the chapters in the series thus-far making that point obvious with psuedo-philosophical preachy things in the series that are full of strawmen arguments.

Ok? I guess that means Naruto isn't shit anymore...not really.

Naruto is still going to be awful even after it ends.
That's not sloppy writing, that's you just not liking it. Nobody is fooled by the act of disguising "I don't like thing" by claiming the writing itself is of poor quality.

Saying Naruto fighting Sasuke in the last fight of the entire series has no relevance or impact is just straight up trolling.

Square is suing SNK over SNK suing Square re: High Score Girl.

Apparently SNK's breach of copyright claim was brought as a criminal complaint, which involved raids by Osaka police on Square's HQ.

So now Square is suing them for that, and will attempt to prove that they didn't breach copyright.

Basically Square's all like "alright cunts, calling the cops on us wasn't cool so we're suing your bitch ass AND we're going to make it worse on you by proving we didn't breach copyright"

So there may still be hope for High Score Girl!

I've been holding off on reading it because there's an obvious chance it never finishes :(

Big One

Banned
Yeah, because not having enough titan fights is the new Narutu. Your post is sloppy:

The main focus of the series is finding out the mysteries. Finding the basement (and it wasn't even a sure clue, just maybe there is something there) was only a way to get that goal, not the goal itself: information.

Which they are doing it already. We learned about shifter titans, the existence of a outside titan village, about the coordinate, some of the new powers, the monkey titan, the Wall cult, the royal family and their secrets, how possibly the city was formed, etc etc. As any good mystery series, it isn't discovering all the secrets in one go, just little by little, and presenting some more questions while they present some answers.

You have to be pretty naive to believe finding the basement would serve for anything, as at this point talking with the king would give them much more information.
Which funnily enough, the Reiss family is where the plot is pointing at for some chapters already. So the manga is doing exactly what you are claiming isn't doing it.
They spent an entire arc trying to get the basement which never ended up happening. It was ALWAYS the main goal, and even Ehren mentioned it in passing sometime after it. As soon as they get to the basement you're definitely going to see something revealed that explains everything, or else it wouldn't have been put off thus-far.

The issue with this isn't necessarily them not going to it yet, but rather it seems like everyone has forgotten about it. Ehren's main goal was to find the basement, and theoretically it still is, but Ehren hasn't mentioned it in so long it's hard to tell if the author even remembers this.

I never critiqued the series for those storyline elements, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Yes the series has had plot developments, but as of recent the story has been really sloppy and going in random places like the struggle between the Military Police Brigade and the Survey Corps. Know why they're fighting? It isn't to progress the main plot, it's so the author can tell you that it's inevitable that humans are going to kill each other, cause that's DEEP.

That's not sloppy writing, that's you just not liking it. Nobody is fooled by the act of disguising "I don't like thing" by claiming the writing itself is of poor quality.
IT's not? Cause I just explained in detail why it was. Not sure what else I can say other than you being blissfully ignoring the very points I've brought up.

Saying Naruto fighting Sasuke in the last fight of the entire series has no relevance or impact is just straight up trolling.
In what way? Sasuke went through an entire character arc at the beginning of the War arc that changed his attitude for the better (which was also another case of bad writing). There's absolutely no reason why he should be fighting Naruto right now after that. If Kishimoto would actually be consistent with things there wouldn't be any issues to discuss here.

Zweizer

Banned

Apparently SNK's breach of copyright claim was brought as a criminal complaint, which involved raids by Osaka police on Square's HQ.

So now Square is suing them for that, and will attempt to prove that they didn't breach copyright.

Basically Square's all like "alright cunts, calling the cops on us wasn't cool so we're suing your bitch ass AND we're going to make it worse on you by proving we didn't breach copyright"

I've been holding off on reading it because there's an obvious chance it never finishes :(

Yay! Take that hekk!

Angry Grimace

They spent an entire arc trying to get the basement which never ended up happening. It was ALWAYS the main goal, and even Ehren mentioned it in passing sometime after it. As soon as they get to the basement you're definitely going to see something revealed that explains everything, or else it wouldn't have been put off thus-far.

The issue with this isn't necessarily them not going to it yet, but rather it seems like everyone has forgotten about it. Ehren's main goal was to find the basement, and theoretically it still is, but Ehren hasn't mentioned it in so long it's hard to tell if the author even remembers this.

I never critiqued the series for those storyline elements, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Yes the series has had plot developments, but as of recent the story has been really slopping and going in random places like the struggle between the Military Police Brigade and the Survey Corps. Know why they're fighting? It isn't to progress the main plot, it's so the author can tell you that it's inevitable that humans are going to kill each other, cause that's DEEP.

You do understand they didn't forget about it, right? Its physically impossible to reach the basement. You might as well ask why Luffy keeps stopping at random islands and dealing with their problems rather than just sailing straight to Raftel.

IT's not? In what way? Sasuke went through an entire character arc at the beginning of the War arc that changed his attitude for the better. There's absolutely no reason why he should be fighting Naruto right now after that.

Actually it didn't and practically everyone who even sort of paid attention to the plot knew he was up to some shit, including the characters themselves. That's your fault for not actually reading it and just slapping "F" grades on everything.

dani_dc

I'd still recommend checking it out even if its left unfinished, its more of a neat view into the gaming scene in the 90 than it is a story.

Big One

Banned
You do understand they didn't forget about it, right? Its physically impossible to reach the basement. You might as well ask why Luffy keeps stopping at random islands and dealing with their problems rather than just sailing straight to Raftel.
And why is it physically impossible to reach the basement?

Luffy isn't stopping at random islands, each island leads to the end of the New World. That's what the Log Pose is for. It's not like they're going to any island they want to.

Actually it didn't and practically everyone who even sort of paid attention to the plot knew he was up to some shit, including the characters themselves. That's your fault for not actually reading it and just slapping "F" grades on everything.
Prove it. Provide quotes. Pages. Anything. Then I'll believe you.

Just because Kakashi and some other fuckwits were skeptical about Sasuke's face turn, doesn't mean that Sasuke didn't turn good.

I never critiqued the series for those storyline elements, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Yes the series has had plot developments, but as of recent the story has been really slopping and going in random places like the struggle between the Military Police Brigade and the Survey Corps. Know why they're fighting? It isn't to progress the main plot, it's so the author can tell you that it's inevitable that humans are going to kill each other, cause that's DEEP.

Well, last time they tried to reach the basement, they lost. And after that the Survey Cops had slightly few other problems to try it again, like having traitors and being attacked and then being disbanded.
The story going in random places? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's random, lol. It's very logical, as the mystery is pointing out inwards, to a conspiracy in the city: the royal family, the wall cult, etc. Of course they are trying to stop the Scouting Legion through the MP. It seems you didn't get that.

Reknoc

The last thing I remember about Attack on Titan was Eren and another titan naked giant wrestling each other while another titan was riding the wall with his ribs like it was some sort of gross fleshy monorail.

That was the point I realised I didn't need to read Attack on Titan anymore.

Angry Grimace

And why is it physically impossible to reach the basement?

Luffy isn't stopping at random islands, each island leads to the end of the New World. That's what the Log Pose is for. It's not like they're going to any island they want to.

Because there's about ten billion titans outside the second wall and they can't actually make it Eren's hometown without a very concerted effort? Do you read the stuff you critique or what?

The last thing I remember about Attack on Titan was Eren and another titan naked giant wrestling each other while another titan was riding the wall with his ribs like it was some sort of gross fleshy monorail.

That was the point I realised I didn't need to read Attack on Titan anymore.

that sounds like some dodgy as fuck doujin to me

Big One

Banned
Well, last time they tried to reach the basement, they lost. And after that the Survey Cops had slightly few other problems to try it again, like having traitors and being attacked and then being disbanded
You do realize none of this stuff is necessary, right?

The series would be better off trying it again after a break arc, considering Attack on Titan was at it's very best in those arcs in terms of character development, storytelling, and even action scenes.

The story going in random places? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's random, lol. It's very logical, as the mystery is pointing out inwards, to a conspiracy in the city: the royal family, the wall cult, etc. Of course they are trying to stop the Scouting Legion through the MP. It seems you didn't get that.
Ok? That's what I said.

I'm saying the actual action sequences with the Military Police Brigade and the Survey Corps are pointless if all it's going to lead is a weak coup like this. It's very sloppy.

Because there's about ten billion titans outside the second wall and they can't actually make it Eren's hometown without a very concerted effort? Do you read the stuff you critique or what?
Considering the characters have all gotten stronger and now they have more Titans on their side both potentially and literally, I don't see how this is an issue. That's when you pick your feet up and do it again.

Angry Grimace

The series would be better off trying it again after a break arc, considering Attack on Titan was at it's very best in those arcs in terms of character development, storytelling, and even action scenes.

Ok? That's what I said.

I'm saying the actual action sequences with the Military Police Brigade and the Survey Corps are pointless if all it's going to lead is a weak coup like this. It's very sloppy.

Considering the characters have all gotten stronger and now they have more Titans on their side both potentially and literally, I don't see how this is an issue. That's when you pick your feet up and do it again.

They have intelligent titans responsible for the destruction of half of the remains of humanity who a) know about their plans and b) are actively attempting to capture Eren. Yeah, sounds like a brilliant plan, dude.

I mean, I'd love to keep giving you what you want and indulging the dumb trolling, but I've got about 30 more chapters of Suzuka to read which I'm sure will be more enjoyable.

Big One

Banned
They have intelligent titans responsible for the destruction of half of the remains of humanity who a) know about their plans and b) are actively attempting to capture Eren. Yeah, sounds like a brilliant plan, dude.
That's when you develop the characters consistently so the characters can feesibly achieve their goals, plus it's obvious eventually Ehren is going to have the support of a good portion of Titan-users with how things are going. The problem is that this hasn't be touched upon in ages, and instead we got this shitty coup storyline with fights no one gives a shit about.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yay! Take that hekk!

That's actually pro-hekk

I'm actually really really happy if Hi-Score Girl continues, it's drawn like crap but the topic is so close to me and nostalgic that it is very enjoying.

...hey that's actually a nice phrase for dramatis' recommendation wall.

Lol, now you decide what's the series is about, and what's necessary.

So you have decided that the author is wrong, the series was about going to the basement and that's it, and therefore, "logically", all the rest wasn't needed. Silly author! Introducing new characters, new plot development, new questions, new answers, all that wasn't needed!

You are way too fixed in the damn basement. Yeah it was the goal three arcs ago, but stuff happened, things change.

Why are they pointless? Weren't other action sequences also pointless if the characters survived them in them? Action scenes are first, exciting, they break the pace, and they made sense if they are doing dangerous stuff as the character do. Yeah, the coup was resolved in a pacific manner in the end, but that doesn't mean the previous violence doesn't make sense. It is senseless now that we know how it ended, but that's applying future knowledge, the character didn't know it would go that way. Not every scene has to built upon the next one, that's would be unrealistic.

Next time I read a romance I will have to ask why other female character are introduced if they aren't necessary to the main couple success. Or why in an action series the bad guys try to mess up with the good guys plans, which isn't necessary for the plot.
Silly authors!

Big One

Banned
Lol, now you decide what's the series is about, and what's necessary.

So you have decided that the author is wrong, the series was about going to the basement and that's it, and therefore, "logically", all the rest wasn't needed. Silly author! Introducing new characters, new plot development, new questions, new answers, all that wasn't needed!

You are way too fixed in the damn basement. Yeah it was the goal three arcs ago, but stuff happened, things change.
It wouldn't be a problem if any of the stuff he's doing was genuinely good content, but it's more of the same psuedo-philosophical trash that anyone in 7th grade could've figured out about the world. I just want a good, solid story. Attack on Titan has a lot of solid worldbuilding and lore, but how it approaches it has been godawful ever since Ehren's fight with the Female Titan.

Why are they pointless? Weren't other action sequences also pointless if the characters survived them in them? Action scenes are first, exciting, they break the pace, and they made sense if they are doing dangerous stuff as the character do. Yeah, the coup was resolved in a pacific manner in the end, but that doesn't mean the previous violence doesn't make sense. It is senseless now that we know how it ended, but that's applying future knowledge, the character didn't know it would go that way. Not every scene has to built upon the next one, that's would be unrealistic.
I'm not sure where you got the bolded from, but that's Storytelling 101 right there and to say it doesn't have to be that way...sure, it doesn't HAVE to be that way, if you want your story to suck that is.

You don't have to specific follow up on a single storyline focus to create a good story, nor is it an issue if the author decides to introduce a new storyline focus. The issue is whether it's of quality or not, and instead of finding out the ultimate mysteries of the series, we get panels-upon-panels of characters preaching about how humans are destined to kill each other (in the most recent chapter, foreshadowing a civil war) cause you know, the author can write "deep" things too.

Subtlety goes a long way and Attack on Titan is in no way, a subtle manga. If it were to have this message in the foreground so readers could figure it out for themselves, this wouldn't be so bothersome.

A story doesn't have to outright tell you what it's underlying message is, but seemingly the manga-ka of Attack on Titan feels this isn't the case. So instead of seeing something related to the main storyline with the underlying message that humans are bad, we instead get stuff that SIDETRACKS from the main storyline to tell us explicitly that humans are bad.

Currently trying to find a way to schedule a tweet to be sent out every day at the same time for as long as I want without having to do one at a time

I keep forgetting to bug Yen Press about Tasogare Otome x Amnesia so I need to automate my attempts to annoy them into releasing it

Zweizer

Banned
Currently trying to find a way to schedule a tweet to be sent out every day at the same time for as long as I want without having to do one at a time

I keep forgetting to bug Yen Press about Tasogare Otome x Amnesia so I need to automate my attempts to annoy them into releasing it

Well you certainly are diligent about it.

Too bad you aren't promoting Tasogare as much on MangaGAF~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom