• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Gunka no Balzer 12-15

Damn, our dashing hero is so op. Instantly finding their libel spreading center and getting it taken care of.

Shengar

Gunka no Balzer 12-15

Damn, our dashing hero is so op. Instantly finding their libel spreading center and getting it taken care of.

Screenshot%202014-09-05%2008.19.09.png

dumbyugi

Now that I can read all the manga on Crunchyroll I thought I'd give one a try.

Buffalo 5 Girls

This got real weird. Started off as a story about 2 whores escaping the brothel they worked at and them being on the run. Then it turns out one of the girls, Candy, had eaten a magic purple lizard that was hidden in a bible that gave her superhuman abilities. I won't say I hated it but I would have liked it better if it had just stayed as a story about 2 ex-whores on the run who went from town to town saving other girls from the sex trade.

So with Takujou no Ageha looking like it could hang on for awhile, is there any chance of E-Robot or Gakkyuu Houtei surviving the next set of cuts (the cuts 8 or so weeks after Sporting/Cluster's)?

Moonlight

Banned
It's been a while since I last checked in on this thread, but I figured I'd update you all on some of the stuff I got recommended that I checked out/stuck with for more than a couple chapters.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 1-14

If I had to describe this as anything, it'd be like, I dunno, Oreos. A nice guilty pleasure for a while, before you start to get a little sick of it. It's pretty funny for the first bit, but it wasn't really long until the novelty broke down for me. Felt like it kinda just blew its' load. Didn't help at all that the gags about Miyamura trying to cozy up with Yamada!Urara were not exactly lighting my world on fire. All the same, some kind of invisible force wound up carrying me for a handful of other chapters afterwards, so I can't say I dislike it necessarily. If my Oreo analogy holds up, maybe I'll wait to jump back for another craving hit, but I don't think I'll be binging or anything like that.

Also, I kind of expect this to evolve into a harem sooner or later given the title and the events thus far.

Ore Monogatari!! 1-8

;_;

Fucking amazing. I get this dumb, goofy grin on my face every time I read another page, and I really think the best way I can describe this experience is like a warm hug. I haven't felt this good reading something in a long time. It's funny and charming, and just a little rough around the edges, and just feels really pleasant to go through. A lot of shoujo base a lot of drama and progression and such over the tension of a budding, confused romance, and I didn't know how much I wanted something that kinda just... skipped ahead to the payoff. It's delightful, and I'm not sure what else to say.

such lewd handholding though

Teppu! 1-28

Really surprised by how much I wound up enjoying this. I've never been the type to consider themselves that fond of sports manga in general, but Teppu! struck me as incredibly... well, defiant of my expectations. Natsuo seems emblematic of all this; she's a character I really didn't even know what to feel about till something like ten chapters in. She's rude, kind of sadistic, apathetic, and... well, a bit twisted, as the manga itself puts it. She's a character that would feel less out of place as the antagonist of another sports manga entirely, much less the protagonist of this one. She's all talent and spite, and a pretty radical departure from that 'just try and anything is possible' motif that you gather from a lot of its' cousins. But she's fascinating nonetheless, and oddly likeable in spite of everything. Not just for what she represents, but the insight we're briefly afforded into the self-loathing that made her into the person she was.

What I also find incredibly compelling about the series is how it plays around with the concepts of 'talent' and 'skill'. It's not entirely novel - a lot of Ping Pong's thematic and character conflict stemmed from that dichotomy, but it remains just as interesting here as it was there, but Teppu! still has something distinct in how it develops that conflict, appearing to be far more critical, for lack of a better term, towards 'hard work' in general. Yuzuko, of course, embodying that principle of 'hard work'. A character who's most certainly the hero of her own series. She's the plucky, indomitable spirit who never holds grudges, who always enjoys herself, who always comes back for more. And for that, as a handful of characters note, there's something... unnatural about it and her. And something about that which breaks the people who fights her.

All in all, a really great series. Just a shame it doesn't appear to update more often.

Me and the Devil Blues 1-4

I wasn't really sure what to expect out of this series from the title, but a story about a blues musician who sold his soul for talent in the 1920s might be one of the best ones I'd never think of. I haven't gotten very far, but this is some good stuff. Absolutely harrowing, and just a little surreal, held up with absolutely phenomenal art. I'm excited to get further in this.

TO READ:

- One Punch Man
- Seven Seeds [although gave this a quick look and the art is, uh, not my style]
- Baby Steps
- Kakukaku Shikajika

Would appreciate a few more suggestions for my queue!

Oh, and might as well mention the series I'm already following that I've read further into.

Shokugeki no Soma 101

Not much to say about this chapter, although I kind of feel like that's what I always have to say about most chapters that the titular character features in. This chapter in particular I'm having trouble with, though, because I really don't think I've been given much reason to get that excited over what Soma cooked or invested in Soma's stake in the conflict. He's been practically absent for the past few chapters, it feels like, and his process for this dish entirely opaque. I get that part of this is a natural shounen thing where you can't show the hand before its' played, but this show is going to have a lot of trouble convincing me that Soma has ever been the underdog.

Anyways, Soma is OP as fuck, and when his dish inevitably blows Akira and Edgelord Fishguy out of the water, I hope we can move onto bigger and brighter things.
Like more Tadokoro pls

Prison School 150

:bow :bow :bow :bow

Shichifuku Mafia 01-02

The next head of a mafia family goes back to his mother's homeland, Japan, to recruit her seven personal guardians who turn out to be the Seven Gods of Fortune. Now, the journey starts of the young master, a pretty blond and a Magikarp as they try and find everyone again.

I enjoyed this. It was silly, a nice concept and looking forward to seeing how the protag wins all the pretty boys over.

Plunderer 01

I enjoy the premise of a fantasy world where people are ranked by a uniquely arbitrary number and think it has potential, but everything else seems pretty by the books. Naive female lead, and a bumbling perverted male lead who has a secret past. As expected of the author of Sora no Otoshimono, I suppose.

rrc1594

Whats up with all these RPG based manga is it like a new trend? I feel like every new manga is a MC coming in to a fantasy RPG world.

_hekk05

Banned
Whats up with all these RPG based manga is it like a new trend? I feel like every new manga is a MC coming in to a fantasy RPG world.

Translations or adaptations maybe?

SAO Web Novel was first published in 2002, Log Horizon was first published as a web novel in 2010.
Adventures of shieldbro web novel started in 2012, To Aru Ossan no VRMMO Web Novel started in 2013, Danmachi LN first published in 2013.

As a reference, SAO anime aired July 2012.

Everything is clearly the fault of SAO anime

Zweizer

Banned
TO READ:

- One Punch Man
- Seven Seeds [although gave this a quick look and the art is, uh, not my style]
- Baby Steps
- Kakukaku Shikajika

Would appreciate a few more suggestions for my queue!

7 Seeds is amazing. Don't let its art detract you from reading it. It has some of the best character developments in the entire medium.

Other suggestions:
  • Hinamatsuri
  • Jitsu wa Watashi wa
  • Nickelodeon
  • Boys on the Run
  • Taiyou no Ie

It's a LN trend. I blame SAO.

Revo

Gunka no Balzer 16-27

War, what is it good for?

Well, entertaining manga to start. Pretty enjoyable read on all aspects. Can't wait for more.

Usobuko

Banned
Caught up with Hunter x Hunter anime and manga.

Now I don't know what to do with my life.

Why not go for some action packed manga for the seinen demographic?

TO READ:

- One Punch Man
- Baby Steps
- Kakukaku Shikajika

I don't dislike Baby Steps, it was a solid seinen sports manga. But if you don't have the time, Zweizer's suggestions are better read, imo.

I didn't read no.2 and no.5 though.

Jintor

one of the things i really like about log horizon they don't really explore at all (so far, i think something in s2 might deal with it) is that they're in a fantasy universe which is based on the ruins of modern day earth

it's like tokyo jungle but with elves!

Zweizer

Banned
Boku Girl ch37

Loki knows what's up.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch16

Too easy~

The Forest Where the Goddess Lives (One-shot) by Itou Hachi

Cute tale about a bird wanting to repay a doctor's kindness and gets turned into a human. Story isn't anything special, but pleasant art and adorable protagonist make it an enjoyable read.

Usobuko

Banned
I didn't know Umi no Misaki ended at Chapter 127, I thought there were 8 more chapters without realizing that I had finish the whole thing almost a year ago.

Kokou no Hito ( END )

True Art Is Angsty, I can't decide if I prefer the ending or the one before the last chapter where it was slightly more ambiguous.

Necrovex

I'm going on a long flight Wednesday (16 hours), and I plan to read Vagabond and Kingdom during my travels. Y'all think I should be fine with these two, or should I add another manga to the mix?

_hekk05

Banned
one of the things i really like about log horizon they don't really explore at all (so far, i think something in s2 might deal with it) is that they're in a fantasy universe which is based on the ruins of modern day earth

it's like tokyo jungle but with elves!

The LN has a bit more exposition on that, but they're revealing things slowly. Things are still pretty muddy up til Vol 7 (which is basically where the anime is now), but there are a couple of tidbits and hints in the LNs that didn't make it into the anime.

Jintor

The LN has a bit more exposition on that, but they're revealing things slowly. Things are still pretty muddy up til Vol 7 (which is basically where the anime is now), but there are a couple of tidbits and hints in the LNs that didn't make it into the anime.

It was a big shock last episode when they opened on the ruins of Osaka. I was just there last weekend gawping at the big man on the bridge and at that crazy building with the red light wall! There's a climbing wall on that thing!

_hekk05

Banned
Digital volumes (really hoping the plane has an outlet for an international trip!). I haven't started reading either of these works. Been waiting for this trip before beginning on my reading adventures.

Kingdom will keep you up for a good 3-4 hours even if you read blazing fast. Take that + vagabond and you should be good to go for about 8 hours of non-stop trail-blazing. You can get some shuteye to complete the time and all will be good.

What airline is it btw?

Digital volumes (really hoping the plane has an outlet for an international trip!). I haven't started reading either of these works. Been waiting for this trip before beginning on my reading adventures.

Kingdom will keep you up for a good 3-4 hours even if you read blazing fast. Take that + vagabond and you should be good to go for about 8 hours of non-stop trail-blazing. You can get some shuteye to complete the time and all will be good.

What airline is it btw?

yeah I don't think you'd need another series other then those two

if you do somehow finish it carry some gag manga or comics that you can just flip through to pass time

Necrovex

What airline is it btw?

South African Airlines. Sounds like I'll have a solid eight hours, at the minimum!

yeah I don't think you'd need another series other then those two

if you do somehow finish it carry some gag manga or comics that you can just flip through to pass time

I guess my gag manga will be finishing the rest of Naruto.

_hekk05

Banned
South African Airlines. Sounds like I'll have a solid eight hours, at the minimum!

I guess my gag manga will be finishing the rest of Naruto.

No comments on availability of charging point or usb port. Never flown SAA before.

Also that choice of gag manga is bad and you should feel bad
Hum.gif

Necrovex

No comments on availability of charging point or usb port. Never flown SAA before.

Also that choice of gag manga is bad and you should feel bad
Hum.gif

I'm already 50 volumes in, so I should just finish this gag manga. :p

heh I guess you could do that

the Sasuke vs Naruto fight (near the ending of it) wasn't bad

you'd have to slug through Kaguya though....counts how far back you are

I just got to the plot twist where Madara was summoned back from the dead. I am still staying to my bet it's Obito.

I just got to the plot twist where Madara was summoned back from the dead. I am still staying to my bet it's Obito.

dang man good luck there is a ton of blah in between

of course you have other series to read before then

did you read Boku no Hero Academia or OPM before?

rrvv

I never able to read manga in the 8 hour - plane since most of the time is simply wobbly ride.

I simply watch movie really

Usobuko

Banned

Not the right place but I thought some people who love manga like Punpun etc. might like this movie.

Falkenberg Farewell / Farväl Falkenberg

Synopsis:

The film presents five childhood friends in their twenties who have grown up together in the town Falkenberg. The movie chronicles what they call "their last summer" in the town, faced with the prospect that sooner or later they have to move up to Göteborg. Their lives in Falkenberg currently circle around nothing and each other: Holger, who seems to be the central figure of the five, faces fears of moving away from his hometown and becoming clichéd; his brother John, grumpy and lazy; Jesper, the only member of the group who already attempted to move away from the town, but ends up coming back nevertheless; Jörgen, who is in the process of setting up a catering business, but without much prospect; and David, the sensitive loner and Holger's best friend, whose diary serves as a narration for the story. The film offers vignettes of the seemingly empty lives of the five: wandering in nature, dealing with the parental expectations, swimming in the sea and burglarizing homes (although more as a pastime activity opposed to a financial source).

Yet, these roguish activities are starting to lose their thrill, and even drugs don't cure the boredom anymore. As they watch their parents get older and their peers move away from the small town, the friends nostalgically reflect on their idyllic past and apprehensively await their unknown future.

Necrovex

dang man good luck there is a ton of blah in between

of course you have other series to read before then

did you read Boku no Hero Academia or OPM before?

I see a lot of love for Boku no Hero, but I plan to read that when I return from Africa in a few years. I want it to have more chapters before I start on that. Not familiar with OPM though.

I never able to read manga in the 8 hour - plane since most of the time is simply wobbly ride.

I don't mind the wobbly nature of planes, but I may watch some of those anime or movies while I'm up in the air.

Not the right place but I thought some people who love manga like Punpun etc. might like this movie.

Falkenberg Farewell / Farväl Falkenberg

I love PunPun, so I'll toss this on my backlog. Are there any other manga similar to Punpun's tone and quality?

Usobuko

Banned
I love PunPun, so I'll toss this on my backlog. Are there any other manga similar to Punpun's tone and quality?

I think Punpun is the best in w/e genre it being classified as.

That said, I can recommend 2 good manga that has similar depressing tone, Himizu & Kokou no Hito.

rrvv

usually I just read random movie/show from inflight entertainment. to lazy to pull out my gadget.

or sleep

or going to toilet may ties so I dont simply sit down for whole flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom