• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plunderer 01

o1qBVD9.jpg

In a world ruled by numbers, a girl after losing her mother, searches for the mysterious Red Baron.

Probably the most clueless girl you have ever seen here. Like super clueless, I hope she wises up from this. But still pretty entertaining.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there any manga that does the underdog theme justice?

Naruto used to be one before he's revealed as this prodigy chosen one that is also the son of a prodigy, lol.

Slamdunk... kind of gives off that vibe from time to time, but I don't know how "underdog" you can be when you have a super genius and awesome rookie along with the best center in the district playing in your team.

Soma... the recent effort the mangaka trying to pull to show how much of an underdog Soma is, is truly LOLworthy..

Usobuko

Banned
The first YGO was magical, I read that when I was ten and there was no anime back then. The battles in both manga and anime are really terrible depicted. If you try to play the game based on what was shown on the manga ( they still have 2000 LP up to Pegasus Arc ), you'll be running in circles.

It doesn't help that no one else can read those JPN cards, lol.

@TheRealTalker

Your problem with this franchise now is its protagonist and the whole atmosphere / setting that surrounds it. Nothing wrong with that. However, the duels are in fact much better constructed with each new series and with Arc V, you can see how they are trying to appeal in this aspect.

bigkrev

I'm sorry but you guys lost me.... especially DTL

whatever happened to Egyptian Pharaohs? there was that academy series called GX and that mortocycle thingy ma jiggy

Edit: What really through me off was the opening 2 for that latest one.... I mean it is literally so random i don't understand

Hating on Arc V? You are making me cry
tumblr_n3nm1oGANH1rqp6teo7_250.gif

It's probably the best spin-off of the series from what I watched. Dude plays Yugioh while riding around on a Hippo, for gods sake

The first YGO was magical, I read that when I was ten and there was no anime back then. The battles in both manga and anime are really terrible depicted. If you try to play the game based on what was shown on the manga ( they still have 2000 LP up to Pegasus Arc ), you'll be running in circles.

It doesn't help that no one else can read those JPN cards, lol.

@TheRealTalker

Your problem with this franchise now is its protagonist and the whole atmosphere / setting that surrounds it. Nothing wrong with that. However, the duels are in fact much better constructed with each new series and with Arc V, you can see how they are trying to appeal in this aspect.

It's probably the best spin-off of the series from what I watched. Dude plays Yugioh while riding around on a Hippo, for gods sake
Okay I may have jumped the gun with Arc V

I'll check it out... the bolded particularly interested me

Naruto used to be one before he's revealed as this prodigy chosen one that is also the son of a prodigy, lol.

Slamdunk... kind of gives off that vibe from time to time, but I don't know how "underdog" you can be when you have a super genius and awesome rookie along with the best center in the district playing in your team.

Soma... the recent effort the mangaka trying to pull to show how much of an underdog Soma is, is truly LOLworthy..

it is lol worthy but Jump mainly has protags which (if it is a action series) has some hidden power deep within them and/or is from a powerful race/clan/etc

So technically the only times they where ever underdogs is before they tried to use their power making them techincally not underdogs to begin with

Usobuko

Banned
Anything's better than ZeXal.

Arc V's shaping up to be pretty good.

GX is the best.

Never watched 5D.

Original is overrated.

Go correct your mistake now.

You forget the 2 years hiatus MVP, Mitsui Hisashi! In terms of abilities, they are only underdogs against Sannoh which would probably win if their coach don't field their Year One giant for experience sake.

I love whens hes on entermate discover hippo, its hilarious. But of course not as good as when he does his ladies and gentlemen and our favorite Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon comes, best dragon since stardust dragon.

Wait so your saying Card Games on Motorcycles Yugioh was actually good? I just gave up on the series with GX (FUCK JADEN!) and saw the horror they did with Zexel so I assumed the worst for it.

Usobuko

Banned
Wait so your saying Card Games on Motorcycles Yugioh was actually good? I just gave up on the series with GX (FUCK JADEN!) and saw the horror they did with Zexel so I assumed the worst for it.

Well, for starters, 5D's turn the tide / comeback theme is comparable to the first YGO's passionate duelist.

The whole card game on motorcycles was a hilarious meme. There are also 1 or 2 times where Yusei ( main character ) said something like 'where's the guy I had to defeat before I go pass here' in a completely empty and open field. If you don't take these things seriously and realize they are just dueling for dueling sake, then it's a pretty good ride.

dumbyugi

Hell yeah.

Can't wait for that new movie to come out.

Even though it'll probably suck.

I'm excited because it doesn't seem like it's going to be a stupid crossover of all the different series again. I wonder if they'll get the original dub cast to do the voices if/when it gets an English release?

Pretty much out of all the whole Yu-Gi-Oh series 5Ds is the best. Yeah it may have the motorcycle gimmick but you'll get used to it and at times it gets really awesome. Though what makes 5Ds special out of the bunch is the characters, story, and atmosphere. It's really good and it also helps that most of the cast are more grounded compared to the others.

Plus it has Akiza. 😚

Recent?

We have always seen Soma spending days just figuring out to make a better dish. The fact with Soma is that he doesn't pull stuff out of his ass, the manga actually shows the effort he takes in order to defeat his opponents.

Probably my favorite Jump protagonist really. He's optimistic, he tries hard, he doesn't go on a multiple chapter emo arc when he loses. He just gets on the next challenge.

He's way different from Luffy, Ichigo, Naruto, what have you not.

EDIT: I've never cared if he win or loses. I just like the way he prepares his dish and what he does when he's in trouble. He's just a fun character to follow.

_hekk05

Banned

Well recently there's My Hero Acadamia

I'll probably have to get to a computer to find more

I'm excited because it doesn't seem like it's going to be a stupid crossover of all the different series again. I wonder if they'll get the original dub cast to do the voices if/when it gets an English release?

If they do, then they need to prioritize getting Dan Green at all cost.

Also, Wayne Grayson for Joey.

Nanatsu 111

About the Gowther talk he can change his appearance too.

i10q2J1.jpg

I don't know if it's just me, but I constantly think that Gowther is a girl. This chapter confirms that he isn't.

I've been reading a couple mangas and Hero Academia is really grabbing my attention. It is giving me the same vibes I had way back when I first watched Naruto.

I've also caught up with a series called Maken-Ki. Can anyone familiar with the series tell me if it's on hiatus? And any recommendations for good ecchi/harem action adventures?

Lain

Maria the Virgin Witch 1
Jgmb.jpg

This came after I had watched the first episode of the anime, so the differences were quite easy to spot. I think I like it more how the events are presented in the manga. I'm also curious how the anime does the parts in which Maria is masturbating or when the succubus kicks her and the incubus into the room with that dude.
I don't like Michael and while Maria might have a naive vision, it's a better vision than what the other side offers.

I'll be interested in seeing if there are differences with the American release once I get it.

wonzo

Banned
All-Rounder Meguru 1-7

Could never really get into EDEN so I'm glad Endo started working on something a little less bleak. The really technical way he draws the fights makes them a hell of a lot more interesting to watch and easier to follow compared to most other "fighting" series I've read. The mafia revenge stuff with Takashi was cool so I was kinda bummed it was cut short by the end of the first volume. WIll read more.

Gakkou Gurashi! 1-31

Well, this was an interesting read. It's a story about 3 students and their teacher trying to cope with a distressing situation at school. The strongest aspect of this I think is how there's as much a fight to maintain some sense of normalcy in their lives as much they are dealing with their situation. It's interesting how Yuki plays a very essential role in the groups continued success although you might not think so at first.

I'm really looking forward to impressions from the first episode of the anime whenever it airs. But I feel like anyone who takes an interest in it is going to end up spoiling themselves on something that's better left for when they actually watch it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Soma 102.

Oh come on. Now they're feeding us with "oh Soma is not talented at all he's just a hard worker."

Not talented my arse, hahaha.

Shirogane no Nina 52

SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Assassination classroom and Eyeshield 21.

All-Rounder Meguru 1-7

Could never really get into EDEN so I'm glad Endo started working on something a little less bleak. The really technical way he draws the fights makes them a hell of a lot more interesting to watch and easier to follow compared to most other "fighting" series I've read. The mafia revenge stuff with Takashi was cool so I was kinda bummed it was cut short by the end of the first volume. WIll read more.

It was always a bit weird how the mafia plot was dropped, at first it was clear he wanted to do a mixed sports series with some personal drama with that plot, but I suppose he or the editor changed opinions, and the series turned into a straight sports series (still a bit of drama here and there with secondary characters).

The strong point of the series is what you have commented already, it's super technical and his clear drawing style allows you to see every hit, every hold, every change of positions even when they are one on top another in a messy position, etc.

Soma 102.

Oh come on. Now they're feeding us with "oh Soma is not talented at all he's just a hard worker."

Not talented my arse, hahaha.

Shirogane no Nina 52

SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

He's not talented as

Seriously, show me when Soma has been the type to suddenly pull shit out of his ass when he has been consistently portrayed as hard working for the last 102 chapters of the manga.

Hell the best part about the soy soup is that it's pretty much inspired from his father's recipe, when he lost that battle.

wonzo

Banned
All-Rounder Meguru 8-28
Would be cool to see Takashi beat up thugs in his spare time but it doesn't look like that'll be continuing. Oh well, it's really cool to see Meguru come into his own and the brief glimpses of the womens side of things is a nice touch too.

It was always a bit weird how the mafia plot was dropped, at first it was clear he wanted to do a mixed sports series with some personal drama with that plot, but I suppose he or the editor changed opinions, and the series turned into a straight sports series (still a bit of drama here and there with secondary characters).
Yeah it kinda bums me out but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom