• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gakkyu Hotei 7
That Magical Happy is intense. I loved the Tsundere Ronpa, lol.
tumblr_nisqpsh5b51qbxqfpo1_1280.png

But that reveal, if it truly is Pine chan. I cant even imagine how this case will turn out. How will the case even proceed, or is it two cases?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jitsu wa Watashi wa 62

Dem feathers, dat ultimate troll of a principal, DAT WRATH

I fucking died, Akane always shows up at the worst possible moment and does the greatest thing imaginable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah Erina is going to still end up on the sidelines.... The author wouldn't want Soma's end game to be mingled with people who are jealous of her

Meat ain't going nowhere..... no Fodder for this road trip

at least Megumi can contribute with something with her skill

She's the advertised heroine. She's going to end up in the harem faster than you're imagining.

She's basically Vegeta.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Soma

Let the tournament arc on a random island commence! He meets a new girl and we all love her as a character.

I can still post bikini pics in MangaGAF? <3 Cuvie

Yooo, who's the inspiration?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
now where's my merchandise so they can have all my money

Blahhh, I didn't like Academia cause it was so unoriginal and flat. Has it really improved that much?

Quixzlizx

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 62

RIP Akane. Thanks for entertaining us for so long. Also, dat Shiho.

Also, Nisekoi is like a shitty version of Jitsu wa. I'm pretty sure I'm only reading it for Marika at this point, and even her trolls aren't as good as Akane's.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jitsu wa Watashi wa 62

RIP Akane. Thanks for entertaining us for so long. Also, dat Shiho.

Also, Nisekoi is like a shitty version of Jitsu wa. I'm pretty sure I'm only reading it for Marika at this point, and even her trolls aren't as good as Akane's.

No one in anything trolls as good as Akane does, Aizen wishes he had her troll game.

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 62

RIP Akane. Thanks for entertaining us for so long.
Now that I think of it, it almost wouldn't surprise me if Akane does physically "die" every time Akari assaults her, but since she's a demon, she pops right back on earth after reappearing in hell. Maybe bit too gruesome for JwWw though.

Genuine immortality would add to Akane's troll factor

Busaiku

So when are we gonna get Assassination Classroom.
Man, Viz even catching up to that will be trouble, since scanlations are so behind.

Busaiku

Well, I was saying if they decided to start running it in Weekly Jump.
With stuff like Soma or Hero Academia, scanlations were pretty close, so they could just do the latest chapter, but if they decided to do Assassination Classroom, English readers would be like 10-20 chapters behind.

With stuff like Soma or Hero Academia, scanlations were pretty close, so they could just do the latest chapter, but if they decided to do Assassination Classroom, English readers would be like 10-20 chapters behind.

I pretty sure they don't care about what's the scans are up to, lol

Food Wars! 103

Super high school level bad writing the chapter. Awful. Couldnt even care for Hayama's backstory (well his kid design is good, not Kurokiba Ryou level, but still) even cause it was such a repulsive outcome.

Taku hasnt been in any panel of the audience, did they forget about him.

Soma's specialty would be hard since hes from some cheap home kitchen type store. At least in my experience of going to a home kitchen type korean place, I thought every dish gave me an image of mama (since it was called mama's kitchen).

I hope they get it assuming reception has been like Food War's etc. Id rather be caught up then perpetually behind even we skip 10 or so chapters.

At this rate, we'll always have the major turning points and events spoiled, imagine if it ends and we are still 10-20 behind.

Azure J

He should just start serving his disgusting gimmick dishes to the judges so there can be no denying his unique style.

At that point, wouldn't he just be going full Jouichirou though? I'm remembering Fumiou mentioning that he'd actually bring weird dishes out and lose shokugekis to people that "weren't much" in his heyday.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No he hates Curry Guy for whatever incomprehensible reason.

Maybe his hair is too long for :DTL.

Honestly, I just stopped reading HiFi cluster a few weeks ago. It started mediocre, and just couldn't keep my attention. It was a pretty quick shift from read to skim to just don't care at all. It wasn't necessarily a bad manga, just really mediocre and boring

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 62

Ok. It's time for me to finally admit what everyone else already knows.
The principal is the best character.
So did werewolf girl get so much lust that it looped back around to being zero like she passed an integer limit?

Love/Death 3

What's up with lesbians and pancakes?
It seems every Yuri series has pancakes, why's it always pancakes?

wonzo

Banned
All-Rounder Meguru 57-95

The backstory of the "old" man and how he slowly turned into his piece of shit of a stepfather until false imprisonment on account of his mother set him straight is gonna make his loss all the sadder. :(

Armed Girl's Machiavellism 1

21010298vaavr.jpg

Men are beasts. So it's totally reasonable for girls to be allowed to bring weapons to school to defend themselves. And it's totally reasonable for them to form a vigilante group to keep male troublemakers under control. And it's totally reasonable for them to do this by forcing them to dress and act like girls. Yep.

Anyway, there was fighting and swords and fighting with swords. And a bear. And that chick at the end who's clearly going to be batshit. Probably more entertaining than it should've been.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No he hates Curry Guy for whatever incomprehensible reason.

Maybe his hair is too long for :DTL.

He hates Curry Guy because he thinks he takes panel time from Takumi, because he also believes that Soma and Takumi are intended to be off-panel gay lovers.

I don't even remember that revelation.

She said that when he brought ramen out for the breakfast challenge.

Zweizer

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues v1-4 by Akira Hiramoto

United States of America, 1930s. A period of turbulences. One particular night, RJ, a poor but happy black man, gets seduced by the blues. Alas, having never played any music before in his life, his attempts at becoming a bluesman fail miserably. There are rumors however, that if one were to sell one' soul to the devil, one could become an unparalleled bluesman...

But what are the blues really? Will his struggle for survival in a hostile and racist era, while being dragged around by a gangster, lead to the answer he seeks?

Insanely good art, engaging and multidimensional characters, gripping story, original setting... Me and the Devil Blues is nothing short of a masterpiece. That it got mostly ignored during its initial run is something of a tragedy, and it's a relief that the manga resumed serialization, 8 years after its original closure.

Solanin by Inio Asano

A bunch of young adults are trying to live in Tokyo. Their lives are pretty ordinary and peaceful, yet they can't help but be worried about their future, about their relationships, about their dreams. Should they be happy with how things are? Or should they try to aim for something different?

Solanin depicts pretty ordinary and realistic characters, with little contrived drama, and is overall deeply anchored in normalcy. Despite this, or rather, thanks to it, it's a really endearing tale, as the characters feel fleshed out, human, and deal with their worries in a human way, which makes it all the more relatable. More than a simple story, Solanin is letter of love to life, to living, to society.

Genkaku Picasso by Usamaru Furuya

Picasso, an introverted high schooler and artist, and Chiaki, his classmate, are victims of a helicopter crash. He survives, but now must help solve his entourages' troubled hearts, lest his body starts rotting. How will he achieve that? With his drawings of course! Or rather, by diving into the drawings of the deepest parts of one's heart.

Alternating between a somewhat ordinary high school setting and surreal depictions of one's thoughts permeated with symbolism, Genkaku Picasso tells the story of its characters through art, and Usamaru Furuya doesn't disappoint with his creativity in how various mental worlds are depicted, but also in the care and details of their portrayals. True to its name, it is the story of an artist.

Terrarium in Drawer by Ryoko Kui

What can you find in a terrarium? Well, if you just bought one fresh from the store, probably nothing much, but generally speaking you'll find a plethora of organisms in a well-kept one, each with their own lives, their own personalities(?), their own stories.

Terrarium in Drawer is a collection of short stories that can be humorous, often quirky, or outright bizarre, sometimes heart-warming, maybe thought-provoking, with a wide display of artstyles, which can go from simple and cutesy, to a more conventional and detailed one, and everything meshes to form a veritable kaleidoscope of tales, of characters, of manga.

Ponko of the Stars and Reiko of the Tofu Shop by Shinji Ohara & Takezaki Tony

What happens when an impoverished family bring in a Pokemon space alien? Absolute mayhem, that's what.

A short and rather quirky manga that, just like the eponymous alien, is more than meets the eye.

dani_dc

Good Ending 134

Entering the final stretch of the manga, we got the [shocking] revelation that Yuki actually still likes Seiji, in the meantime Shou ex-bf gets in an accident which I guess will be the trigger for an eventual break up with Seiji.

At this point I'm honestly shocked that Yuki ex-bf hasn't been a bigger part in the story, the author sure teased that possibility a bunch of time, considering I've seen there's a chapter coming up that's titled after him I guess he's saving it for the last hurdle before Yuki and Seiji end the series together.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
As a comedy manga, Nisekoi fell flat when compared to Jitsu wa
Jitsu wa Watashi 62
Akane, full time devil and trollololo
I want to see the function of other wing~

To be fair, it's entirely possible that Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa will also feel flat by the time it reaches 155 chapters.

The problem with these kinds of series it they either have to end or keep dodging the main issue by adding in increasingly contrived reasons and zanier and zanier characters so it's possible

Nordicus

Its been so long since I laughed at a manga title like this one.

Imouto wa America-jin!? -> My Sister Is an American?!
I got curious, and then read the translator's(?) note at the end:

I don't plan to continue this series, so anyone can freely pick it up. (I personally found the ignorant stereotypes mildly offensive later on, like how the sister fails simple japanese, randomly interjects english and plays the part of a genki but helpless & dumb caveman. Just consider this a sample chapter.)
I kinda wanna see how bad it gets.

The first chapter ending on the girl stepping inside with her shoes still on and the text "episode #01: Foreign Invasion!!" is kinda funny in an unintentional sort of way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom