• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
Hekk can't cry
Hekk has no feelins

I do too have feelins!!

zaqzgp.gif

1. Madness

so much feelins

dani_dc

Mysterious Girlfriend X END

...What the heck was with that ending.

The series starts with the promise of sexual intercourse and yet there isn't even so much as a kiss.

I thought it was just one more chapter until I noticed the words "END" in the page.

At least I did learn that you can eat "uncooked" bacon. That really blew my mind.

Considering trying that, but my heart still tells me "no, that's wrong".

The series did manage to convince me that droll is sensual and there's nothing wrong with licking it.

Zweizer

Banned
nonono

hekk is love, hekk is life

also this is a devious ploy to eat up more posts so zweizer is unquestionably at the top of the wall of shame

all according to keikaku

Damn you!! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

hekk is hate, hekk is death!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Voynich Hotel 66
I know that heart thing going to appear sooner or later in live or death situation.
MazingerZ dude die from a leak? Damn...
Never ever fucking mess with witch properties. you could end up as a room decoration!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku no Hero academia 28
Yo damn, Deku team being awesome.
Love the Translation note.

Shinozaki san 20

Akina, you're the lowest :(

Himouto Umaru-chan 89

It'shappeningbunker.gif

Real Account 15

Well, that's one hell of a troll

At least I did learn that you can eat "uncooked" bacon. That really blew my mind.

Considering trying that, but my heart still tells me "no, that's wrong".

Thin strips are fine, taste like extra fatty ham. Don't try to eat a slab of bacon, even oven cooked, or you'll be stuck in the toilet all day.

#keto

Usobuko

Banned
Liar Game End
Well, what a downer ending. It's like the author just give up. Unless, the author planning to do a sequel, because as it is, it doesn't feel like a proper end.
Liar Game END

This goes to the pile of shit-endings...
Liar Game 201 END

I really don't know what the author was thinking. How the heck did he finance this with "just" 5 billion?

Didn't Yokoya earned billions by himself at this points?

And for that matter, who makes a threat and gives out 5 billion to the people making the threat? Lets not even mention the entire "non-ending".

You could tell the author ran out of ideas awhile ago, the entire arc was uninteresting and the last few chapters rushed over to end the game as quickly as possible.
Liar Game END
Holy cow. What a disappointing and unfulfilling ending. It was one of the first manga I begam reading after picking up the habit of manga-reading again at the beginning of '13 and have been eagerly waiting each release. It's just so freakin' disappointing...
Liar Game 201 (end)

I'd rather see a new series than a sequel to LG. It's pretty clear that the author doesn't care anymore for the setting and for the characters. The games got less and less interesting even after a long hiatus that it looked like as it was due to the author "collecting ideas".
One Outs had a better structured plot and a decent end.

Sorry for the ridiculous multi-quote but I think given the reactions you guys are very disappointed with the ending and if I just wrote a normal post, it's likely that it will be overlooked. Now, I can't guarantee if you will like this interpretation of Liar Game's ending but I am pretty sure there will be never be a sequel for Liar Game. I think the author intend is bring attention to China's authoritarian regime.

1. Top left panel on page 2 in Chapter 201 is a hint to Tiananmen Square protests

u6FycVw.jpg

2. The novel in question in liar game was published 25 years ago which coincide with the above incident date.

3. The producer that was murdered is of chinese descent.

These 3 points were very obvious to the chinese readers ( including taiwanese folks ) so there was quite some out-roar on this ending. There are also a few who doesn't like political stuff to be shoehorned into this manga.

But I think most of this is a pre-emptive strike by the author because if the manga Liar Game is indeed censored by the chinese government in any form because of its content, it would be like an replicate of the events in the manga. This is why I doubt there will ever be a sequel. Or if you look at this from another angle, I think Akiyama once criticised about the attitude of 'being indifference to others' in real life or Liar Game. So perhaps the author is doing the same thing here or at least subtly advocating people not to.

Revo

Is Reiroukan Still Alive? 11

If they didn't push through the wall and just stayed on each side of the wall it would have been fine!

---

And cool @liargame post. Still a dumb ending storywise.

Liar Game - END

Sorry for the ridiculous multi-quote but I think given the reactions you guys are very disappointed with the ending and if I just wrote a normal post, it's likely that it will be overlooked. Now, I can't guarantee if you will like this interpretation of Liar Game's ending but I am pretty sure there will be never be a sequel for Liar Game. I think the author intend is bring attention to China's authoritarian regime.

This is a very nice post, and now I understand that the 4 kingdom games wasn't just an obvious reference to China, but had ties to the Liar Game itself. Thanks (also for picking up other people posts)!

To tell you the truth, the ending doesn't really bother me that much. It's one of those "cliffhanger - the real enemy isn't dead yet" that sometimes work and some other times don't. In this case it came after the series was already "tired" and outstretched plus, the ending puts the MC in the background, so it wasn't very satisfying.
I think LG started going downwards during the arc after the guys lost against yokoya and they had to undergo a "reparation game". It got less intriguing and the strategies became less and less interesting.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

1. Top left panel on page 2 in Chapter 201 is a hint to Tiananmen Square protests

u6FycVw.jpg

2. The novel in question in liar game was published 25 years ago which coincide with the above incident date.

These 3 points were very obvious to the chinese readers ( including taiwanese folks ) so there was quite some out-roar on this ending. There are also a few who doesn't like political stuff to be shoehorned into this manga.

But I think most of this is a pre-emptive strike by the author because if the manga Liar Game is indeed censored by the chinese government in any form because of its content, it would be like an replicate of the events in the manga. This is why I doubt there will ever be a sequel. Or if you look at this from another angle, I think Akiyama once criticised about the attitude of 'being indifference to others' in real life or Liar Game. So perhaps the author is doing the same thing here or at least subtly advocating people not to.

Thanks for the post. Yes, while i can appreciate author intent, i still think the execution is very lacking. The setup for the whole reveal, and the fact that the game not as intriguing as the previous game. If the author put the foreshadow or hint throughout the game, instead of just putting in a latest chapter, i think the ending will be perceived better. As of now, it feel very abrupt.

Mitch

Banned
Hey MangaGAF. Quick question.

Is it worth getting into One Piece? I'd be purchasing the physical volumes (box sets are cheap right now) to start a collection.

gunbo13

You've done this "okay I'm back" thing like 3 times by now and you always went and disappeared again. It hurt my feelings. I don't believe you anymore until I see you posting for an entire OT straight.
Ha, challenge accepted. Haven't been reading manga lately so couldn't really add anything here. Let's see if I can get some steady reads going. I need a break from those boring things called books.

Is it worth getting into One Piece? I'd be purchasing the physical volumes (box sets are cheap right now) to start a collection.

If you don't mind buying 20something volumes at once, sure.

It's pretty cheap, the first box set is just less than 100 dollars on Amazon right now and that'll end up to being like 4 something per volume.

Just know what you are getting yourself into. (Hint: One Piece will never end) :p

u6FycVw.jpg

Yeah, I catched the reference quite fast. Actually I felt that the manga already had some social commentary (not political) in, for me it was clear the author intent of commenting about capitalism and individualism. So the ending, though had several references to the chinese actual goverment (which also is the perfect example of a new born capitalism king except in name), felt more a commentary over the actual status quo in our world, where an elite seems to govern and decide what goverments should do, is not the illuminati theory, but you may remember what happened in Europe, where the speculation of the debt in some countries had devastating effects in our economy.

Given the recent popular movements in differen parts of the earth, and how it questioned the actual status quo (we just had the greece case, in which a new political party won the elections debanking the 2 major parties for like 30 years and with promises to fight the dictamens and decisions of this elite), I feel that was the intention.

The problem is not the message but the delivery, the whole documentary thing was almost laughable, it was played as some sort of very clever plot twist but it ended as was one of the worst Shyamalan-like twist I saw.

Mitch

Banned
Are you planning to keep buying the series for potentially 15 more years?
If it keeps me entertained, most definitely.

How much time do you have, and much WILL you have? If the answer to both is "a lot" then yes.
Plenty of free time, which is why I wanted to dive into something like this.

If you don't mind buying 20something volumes at once, sure.

It's pretty cheap, the first box set is just less than 100 dollars on Amazon right now and that'll end up to being like 4 something per volume.

Just know what you are getting yourself into. (Hint: One Piece will never end) :p
Yeah, I saw that boxset 1 & 2 are heavily discounted right now. I got my tax refund, so I figured I'd buy the two and put the rest in savings.

Both sets will be here by next week! $216 isn't so bad for 46 volumes. I can't wait.

Nanatsu no Taizai on break

man out of simple habit I just clicked on it thinking it was this weeks chapter only to be greeted with that page

it gave me bad memories of HXH

Kurita

Can't go wrong with the king.

I've been thinking about buying volumes again since I'm not really following the scans anymore. Shit's expensive though.

No surprise, Viz is debuting new series in International Jump.

Viz Media's digital magazine Weekly Shonen Jump announced on Monday that it will begin its next round of "Jump Start" series in its next issue on February 9 with Toshiaki Iwashiro's Kagamigami (Mirror God).

The manga, based on Iwashiro's one-shot Shikigami Twilight Days which ran in Shonen Jump last year, will premiere in Japan on the same day. In the story, the "famous detective(!?)" Mako meets the mysterious boy Kyōsuke.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 104 and Fall Classic Arc END

Hayama's still an arrogant douchebag for some reason (not explained). I wish it didn't feel so much like they were trying to set up "this is the ending for the season of the the anime." It feels like this because they didn't really set up anything else in terms of a new arc, although I guess Eizan is still around and still angry at Soma for ruining his Kaarage stand business. For being the main bad guy in this arc, he sure did have an ultra minor role - it turns out all he did was "hire" Mimisaka to try and make Soma lose, and we never even find out about this until after the fact.

Anyways, we've reached the end of the Fall Classic arc (formerly the "Election," which makes no sense since there's no real prize), so I guess we can look back at it and see what we think. I think its well done for a tournament arc and I like that the "fights" rarely last as long as fighting-series tournament rounds, but the explosion of characters seemed a bit unecessary (Chinese girl, stalker girl, etc.). The preliminaries in particularly took way too long and had way too much backstory on random characters I don't care much about, but its not even remotely Bleach levels of random character nonsense. But in the end, its probably not fair to criticize that since I think its just world building and trying to show that its not just Soma and Curry Guy ruling the roost.

I'd say the arc is a solid B+ on the Big One rating scale.

Shokugeki no Soma 104 and Fall Classic Arc END

Hayama's still an arrogant douchebag for some reason (not explained). I wish it didn't feel so much like they were trying to set up "this is the ending for the season of the the anime." It feels like this because they didn't really set up anything else in terms of a new arc, although I guess Eizan is still around and still angry at Soma for ruining his Kaarage stand business. For being the main bad guy in this arc, he sure did have an ultra minor role - it turns out all he did was "hire" Mimisaka to try and make Soma lose, and we never even find out about this until after the fact.

And the "hire" fucking lost so that means Soma "won" that dispute then? lol what a waste of fucking time.

Also no Erina challenge is a bummer since it would be nice seeing her roflstomping some idiot to show that they have some ways to go (especially if she's just the 10th seat).

New arc i guess so yay?

Food Wars! 104
B83I4HUCIAAU3qc.png:large

Well that was a great ending chapter. Kurokiba Ryou and Soma acting silly over the dish was the best part, and Hayama calming down a bit was fun.

Forced romance scene was awkward and out of place.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea what forced romance scene you're even talking about, I assume Hayama and Jun? The fact that Hayama has a crush on Jun has been obvious from the first chapter Hayama appeared in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom