• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
its DTL...

have you forgotten Grimace lol

Every once in a while it has to be pointed out he's saying something non-sensical.

Also, I have no clue in Fairy Tail why they disbanded the guild. Or why there's another time skip. This is dumb.

Gakkyu Hotei 8
B83aEGoCQAEewzt.png

Why does Higashide and Uozumi look so cool. Higashide even smiled in the chapter, which was odd. I thought he was too cool for school to do that, and in regards to Inugami even. I thought he's supposed to be his enemy.

I honestly dont know who is the masked dude selling magical happy. Kind of doubt it was the Phys Ed Matsuoka.

Hey DTL I though you hated Hayama? Who cares if he has a crush on Jun

Soma

When I first read the Raw I assumed Erina ate Soma's dish and noticed his growth in cooking but now with the English translation it seems that the next arc may be Erina focused seeing as she hasn't met someone who could challenge her within her age group... meaning that she isn't seeing any growth

I missed this post the first time through.

the truth has set me free
So are you talking in someone's belly or what?

Any who I am out and about

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey DTL I though you hated Hayama? Who cares if he has a crush on Jun

Soma

When I first read the Raw I assumed Erina ate Soma's dish and noticed his growth in cooking but now with the English translation it seems that the next arc may be Erina focused seeing as she hasn't met someone who could challenge her within her age group... meaning that she isn't seeing any growth

So are you talking in someone's belly or what?

Any who I am out and about

I just assumed the ending was just teasing Erina joining the group since Soma has a big group of friends (which almost assuredly has Hayama and Ryo in it going forward since none of them are actually in the E10) and her only friend left the school for no real reason.

Soma

Every once in a while it has to be pointed out he's saying something non-sensical.

I guess.

Usually just ignore it lol.

Also Fairy Tail still sounds like garbage by the way.

I just assumed the ending was just teasing Erina joining the group since Soma has a big group of friends (which almost assuredly has Hayama and Ryo in it going forward since none of them are actually in the E10) and her only friend left the school for no real reason.

As in assistant girl who uses medicinal techniques for her cooking?

Maybe she left due to shame of losing or to get stronger off panel

*shrug*

Angry Grimace

Soma

I guess.

Usually just ignore it lol.

Also Fairy Tail still sounds like garbage by the way.

As in assistant girl who uses medicinal techniques for her cooking?

Maybe she left due to shame of losing or to get stronger off panel

*shrug*

I think they wrote Hishouko out of the plot to give Erina more opportunities to be involved in the main storyline. I don't think the intent is for Erina to be a legitimate villain and having a random Dragon like that prevents her from interacting with the main cast.

Soma 104

9f04fa42d0.jpg

Ryou is gonna go Super Saiyan one day from rage.

Spice Guy, Ryou and Soma are being set up as a trio. Probably a trio of rivals but it makes me wonder if there's going to be some team cook off event for some reason.

In any case glad this arc is over at last.

Soma

I think they wrote Hishouko out of the plot to give Erina more opportunities to be involved in the main storyline. I don't think the intent is for Erina to be a legitimate villain and having a random Dragon like that prevents her from interacting with the main cast.

Eh she seems kind though and its usually when Erina can't handle something the assistant goes in that mode (like anything Soma related lol) so i think it could have worked with both changing.

But i guess it could be easier to get Erina out of her comfort zone for a bit instead (kinda like that trip to the pool with Alice).

Between another student x teacher flag rising and the scene with the trio interacting that DTL posted, it lessens the blow from the arc's awful outcome.

Also, I'm FOR Erina getting more focus in the next arc.

Because if there's one character in this series who needs character development badly, it's her.

Angry Grimace

Soma

Eh she seems kind though and its usually when Erina can't handle something the assistant goes in that mode (like anything Soma related lol) so i think it could have worked with both changing.

But i guess it could be easier to get Erina out of her comfort zone for a bit instead (kinda like that trip to the pool with Alice).

I just think it would make no sense for Erina to be even peripherally involved in Soma's plot if the secretary was there since the secretary hates Soma. I think Alice basically made her redundant since Alice plays basically the same role except does more to actually engage Erina in the plot.

I just think it would make no sense for Erina to be even peripherally involved in Soma's plot if the secretary was there since the secretary hates Soma.

Does she really legit hate Soma though?

Or does she "hate" Soma because Erina gets all flustered/uncomfortable/etc so he's seen as an "enemy".

Actually i would think its more of the that Erina wouldn't interact with anyone else but the assistant if she was there (except maybe Alice? and Soma for the tension/lulz).

Hopefully it will be interesting since i want to see more from her.

all this salt over the best guy winning

Where?

DTL?

Frog-fu

Banned
Eden: It's an Endless World! 126

Well, damn. Wish the ending was a bit better, but all in all, terrific. Now on to Vinland Saga.

Somebody tell Obata's that elementary schoolers don't have D Cups. Not even 1000 year old demon princesses. Black Clover needs to serialize this manga out of existance.

VRMN

Boku Girl 38

Well, that went better than expected. Which means Loki's just going to have to screw with Mizuki some other way. Should be fun.

My Hero Academia 1

I hope Kacchan keeps calling people npcs. Hes the best part of this manga by far. Hero wise I think OPM is a bit more interesting. Either way will keep reading Kacchan.

Will like if Deku remains a normal human for the whole series.
Honestly, I really like Deku and he grew on me a lot as series progressed. He's actually a rare case of an intelligent Shonen hero, and he fights using his head a lot (Partially because he has to, even after recieving One For All in the next few chapters). He also has already grown quite a bit as a character (As has Bakugou), and I really enjoyed the fight between them that happens fairly early on.

Also, since you seem to be reading through WSJ, prepare for a really awkward starting point for simultaneous chapters. Chapter 28's end point means chapter 29 will be right in the middle of things. I really hope JUmp gives good catchup coverage, since the Soma catchup stuff was really not done well enough IMO

Honestly, I really like Deku and he grew on me a lot as series progressed. He's actually a rare case of an intelligent Shonen hero, and he fights using his head a lot (Partially because he has to, even after recieving One For All in the next few chapters). He also has already grown quite a bit as a character (As has Bakugou), and I really enjoyed the fight between them that happens fairly early on.

Also, since you seem to be reading through WSJ, prepare for a really awkward starting point for simultaneous chapters. Chapter 28's end point means chapter 29 will be right in the middle of things. I really hope JUmp gives good catchup coverage, since the Soma catchup stuff was really not done well enough IMO

Yep. Deku is a really awesome main protagonist in my book since he has intelligence. He actually uses his brain during battle. I just hope it doesn't go away once he progresses as a hero. Actually, character development in general has been pretty good in Hero Academia, so that's good. I'm really enjoying this shonen. It may replace Hiatus x Hiatus as my favorite on going shounen.

Fairy Tail 418
I kind of wish there was a little more time between chapter releases so Natsu's return would be even more badass after waiting. I wonder what Natsu did to achieve such intense flames. I'm also hoping for some black fire of hell as an ultimate attack.

i dont understand why people don't like the soma arc end.

i think it was the most logical conclusion.

the guy had an unique power set, they all look visually cool and unique. Taking into account character story and background, he is kinda the most *noble* one.

MC winning it all so fast would minimize the potential storyline of tasting actual visible defeat. losing to his dad doesn't count.

Was browsing on the Viz app and was disappointed not to find Ultimate Muscle. Was having an urge to read it. Saw that they licensed rescued Sgt. Frog though.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Prison school 81

Wow! What an excellent first half of a manga. It wrapped up so well with such satisfaction that i just had to pause and post a little blurb about it. The characters and the jokes, no matter low lewd or based, make this manga. The writing and delivery which the art plays such a large part of is hilarious most times but is just down-right genius at moments that make you put it down and say dayum!

I hope the next 80 chapters are as entertaining if not more.

the guy had an unique power set, they all look visually cool and unique. Taking into account character story and background, he is kinda the most *noble* one.

MC winning it all so fast would minimize the potential storyline of tasting actual visible defeat. losing to his dad doesn't count.

No, it was illogical, immoral, and non canon. The judges didnt even judge on something that could be measured. They even admitted that Kurokiba Ryou had a mighty fantastic dish worthy of winning and same for Soma. By saying it had to be some specialty, they were able to use some weak random spur of the moment ideal to purposefully and forcefully make characters that people actual care about lose. They even tossed in the random flashback to try to make us feel bad for Hayama somehow. It was out of place and odd considering the time that other characters took place. This should have been done during the training moments to make us actually believe that determination would be the item needed for victory and not just actually good and creatively unique cooking skill. Soma and Kurokiba need to rack up wins in their first year if anyone is to truly believe that they can rise to take on the elite seated members and cooks. Anyway winning the classic was like winning some random exhibition so I dont think having him win it would have caused for the storyline to suffer. In fact it would have enhanced the experience as it would show that Soma is not just all talk and can actually be on the upper level of skills as those who received formal training from unique backgrounds.A three way tie would have been an excellent alternative as well.

I don't have issue with Hayama winning, I just think it was generally not handled well in the build up stages. All the buildup really pointed to Soma winning, and they really didn't put any special emphasis on the idea of specialties. ANd I don't get why people think Soma can't win against someone and then lose to them in the future. I mean, I can guarantee that Takumi is going to beat Soma at some point, given the setup with him losing his knife and refusing to take it back until he beats Soma in a shokugeki for it. I think the mindset that Soma needed to lose is flawed and really treats the story more like an action manga than the type of manga it is. Shokugeki is the type of manga where I'd expect rematches, both where Soma had won, and where he had lost.

Honestly, I really like Deku and he grew on me a lot as series progressed. He's actually a rare case of an intelligent Shonen hero, and he fights using his head a lot (Partially because he has to, even after receiving One For All in the next few chapters). He also has already grown quite a bit as a character (As has Bakugou), and I really enjoyed the fight between them that happens fairly early on.

Well I did the same with Nisekoi when that happened, and will either buy the Academia volumes or see what I missed when its animated (well I assume they would animate it).

At least they are starting with a chapter that will get four color pages I believe.

dumbyugi

No, it was illogical, immoral, and non canon.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post because even though I disagree with most of it, it's your opinion & that's fine. What I will say though is that just because something happened that you don't like doesn't make it non-canon. I've seen you say this multiple times about different series and it's something that annoys me to no end. Hayama winning is canon whether you like it or not. Your bizzaro definiton of canon is wrong & I wish you would stop using it.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post because even though I disagree with most of it, it's your opinion & that's fine. What I will say though is that just because something happened that you don't like doesn't make it non-canon. I've seen you say this multiple times about different series and it's something that annoys me to no end. Hayama winning is canon whether you like it or not. Your bizzaro definiton of canon is wrong & I wish you would stop using it.

You know what makes it non-canon? The story didn't follow well established historical tropes and my shonen underdog lead didn't win against arrogant enemy by pulling a super saiyan. The creator doesn't know shit.

Angry Grimace

Baby Steps

Beta couple chapter. Kageyama workin' it to seal the deal with glasses-chan.

Crud.

DTL's non cannon comment just made me realize the possibility that if the anime goes 2-cours and ends with JC changing it so Soma wins the tournament, then I'm going to be upset it didn't follow the manga.

And I already dislike that ending.

Well I did the same with Nisekoi when that happened, and will either buy the Academia volumes or see what I missed when its animated (well I assume they would animate it).

At least they are starting with a chapter that will get four color pages I believe.

Normally I wouldn't promote scanlations in cases like this, but the current scanlator has actually provided a very high quality translation, and is being very active in trying to get people to support the official release as well (to the point where starting next week they'll be delaying the chapters until after Jump is out). I'm personally of the opinion that scanlations can be good for the industry depending on how they're handled, and honestly if you buy the official releases as well, nobody is getting hurt or losing sales. I actually know both the official translator for Weekly Shonen Jump and the main translator of MHA's scanlations through a certain forum, they have different translation styles (The official takes a more conservative approach, whereas the scanlator uses a more liberal style). Both are high quality, so I think that reading both can add a lot in understanding the original intent, since either approach on it's own will lose some meaning. The scanlator also does some really cool features after chapters with some really in-depth and interesting translation notes, and a feature on some of the aspects of Japanese culture that come up in the series that would be foreign to English readers (Even as someone who's read a lot of manga and knows more about Japan beyond manga than most readers do, I still found this section pretty interesting and informative). While people should absolutely support the official release as well, I'd say there's no harm in reading the scanlations as well, especially when no official release is available right away

Usobuko

Banned
The problem is not the message but the delivery, the whole documentary thing was almost laughable, it was played as some sort of very clever plot twist but it ended as was one of the worst Shyamalan-like twist I saw.
Thanks for the post. Yes, while i can appreciate author intent, i still think the execution is very lacking. The setup for the whole reveal, and the fact that the game not as intriguing as the previous game. If the author put the foreshadow or hint throughout the game, instead of just putting in a latest chapter, i think the ending will be perceived better. As of now, it feel very abrupt.

I can't say I disagree. It was still funny to read the reactions from the chinese folks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oda going to pull a Togashi and put One Piece on hiatus to play vidya games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom