• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Naruto is probably the best its been in awhile. Since it's only focusing on small stuff and the new characters actually a lot of presence to them so far.

One Piece on the other hand while good, just makes me kind of want this arc to close already.

Naruto is probably the best its been in awhile. Since it's only focusing on small stuff and the new characters actually a lot of presence to them so far.

One Piece on the other hand while good, just makes me kind of want this arc to close already.

Naruto's been shit for ages (I suppose the final chapter was decent, but even that wasn't great), so that's not saying much. My problem is that I have literally zero attachment to any of these new characters, and none of them are all that endearing. Sarada is just another insufferable Uchiha, and pretty much all of the problems presented to her wouldn't be an issue if Sasuke wasn't such a horrible father (and just all around horrible person). Like cool, he's on a redemption trip or some shit, but seeing as how he still clearly reports back to Naruto from time to time, and there are clearly means of communication for him to use, be it a phone or his hawk, it just makes him super shitty that he hasn't once tried to communicate with his kid. And that's ignoring that I really doubt Sakura won't end up being the real mother, meaning this whole thing is likely going to go full circle. I don't find the chouchou stuff funny either, it feels super forced and is kind of dumb.

360pages

Naruto's been shit for ages (I suppose the final chapter was decent, but even that wasn't great), so that's not saying much. My problem is that I have literally zero attachment to any of these new characters, and none of them are all that endearing. Sarada is just another insufferable Uchiha, and pretty much all of the problems presented to her wouldn't be an issue if Sasuke wasn't such a horrible father (and just all around horrible person). Like cool, he's on a redemption trip or some shit, but seeing as how he still clearly reports back to Naruto from time to time, and there are clearly means of communication for him to use, be it a phone or his hawk, it just makes him super shitty that he hasn't once tried to communicate with his kid. And that's ignoring that I really doubt Sakura won't end up being the real mother, meaning this whole thing is likely going to go full circle. I don't find the chouchou stuff funny either, it feels super forced and is kind of dumb.

Chouchou is actually pretty funny, I'm more interested in the interactions with the new characters than the old ones. And ChouChou isn't really the type of character you'd think Kishi would pick to go with Sarada, I thought Bolt.

That and I actually like Sarada a lot more than Sasuke, mostly because she can talk to people and has friends. Allowing us to ditch the stupid loner thing.

Chouchou is actually pretty funny, I'm more interested in the interactions with the new characters than the old ones. And ChouChou isn't really the type of character you'd think Kishi would pick to go with Sarada, I thought Bolt.

That and I actually like Sarada a lot more than Sasuke, mostly because she can talk to people and has friends. Allowing us to ditch the stupid loner thing.

I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as the war in Naruto was in general (Especially fucking Kaguya), but I feel like the only reason people are finding anything special in this is that they're comparing it to that shit in Naruto and not taking a broader view. For a recent Naruto chapter, it's fantastic, but as a manga chapter in general, it's decent at best. I mean, I like Sarada better than Sasuke too for example, but even at his best in part 1 Sasuke was never more than tolerable, and at his worst he was beyond shitty. ChouChou is great for a recent Naruto character, but when you stop comparing her to the shit fest that was Naruto post-timeskip, she's nothing special and not that great

First off.

P4pOXWe.png

If you doubt yourself and have to actually ask the question, then yes.

You sucked.

Secondly,

SLUUUUUUUUUUUTS

He is on an island surrounded by sluts, prostitutes, perverted men, and creepy babies that can talk.

And at least 1 jealous guy who most likely wants to kill him.

But Naruto was shit, and Bleach was largely nothing other than old characters showing up (some of whom were godawful like the fullbringers) which knowing Bleach is still unlikely to amount to anything. Like, I love how they're still trying to use a plan to ambush the guy with bullshit allseeing eyes LOL

Naruto kept me entertain with how much of a shitty dad Sasuke continues turning out to be.

And Salad and little Shaniqua going off on their own adventure.

Bleach, I already stated in my previous post.

But this weeks One Piece chapter was basically:

Doffy is still getting pounded? Ok.

Zoro is going to do something? Ok.

Jesus showed up? Ok.

Nothing really exciting or funny.

360pages

I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as the war in Naruto was in general (Especially fucking Kaguya), but I feel like the only reason people are finding anything special in this is that they're comparing it to that shit in Naruto and not taking a broader view. For a recent Naruto chapter, it's fantastic, but as a manga chapter in general, it's decent at best. I mean, I like Sarada better than Sasuke too for example, but even at his best in part 1 Sasuke was never more than tolerable, and at his worst he was beyond shitty. ChouChou is great for a recent Naruto character, but when you stop comparing her to the shit fest that was Naruto post-timeskip, she's nothing special and not that great

Well, sure I mean, I love One Piece, but this weeks chapter was kind of just eh. More fighting between Doffy and Luffy and him explaining awakenings. While a nice set up, it seems more like a buffer chapter before the conclusion in the next one.

I mean, we've all seen the inspirational speech in One Piece before. I think people are just enjoying the recent chapter of Naruto because it's different. While One Piece while still good is more of the same we've seen in previous arcs.

Jintor

Teppu's going? Maybe I'll finally read it

it's one of my favourite mangas to not-read because i just get depressed reading it

but it's so good

Naruto kept me entertain with how much of a shitty dad Sasuke continues turning out to be.

And Salad and little Shaniqua going off on their own adventure.

Bleach, I already stated in my previous post.

But this weeks One Piece chapter was basically:

Doffy is still getting pounded? Ok.

Zoro is going to do something? Ok.

Jesus showed up? Ok.

Nothing really exciting nor getting even a chuckle out of anything.
I can't really accept the idea that something that was clearly not intentional (Especially since I guarantee you this story ends with Sarada forgiving or learning to appreaciate Sasuke as a dad) and more a byproduct of shitty writing can make a chapter good. "So bad it's good" is still bad. Also, I disagree with the way you summed up One Piece chapter (Especially since you completely ignore the heart and soul of the chapter in King Reku's speech, which takes up way, way more screentime than anything else you mentioned, especially Zoro and Jesus which took up pretty much no screentime). Also, the part with Zoro to me implies the one who will actually end up getting the job done will end up being Franky, not Zoro anyways

I thought the one piece chapter was great. the speech was emotional, the action was great, we learned that gear 4 has a strict time limit, and we learned more about awakened devil fruits, a concept that was first brought up in Impel Down

Well, sure I mean, I love One Piece, but this weeks chapter was kind of just eh. More fighting between Doffy and Luffy and him explaining awakenings. While a nice set up, it seems more like a buffer chapter before the conclusion in the next one.

I mean, we've all seen the inspirational speech in One Piece before. I think people are just enjoying the recent chapter of Naruto because it's different. While One Piece while still good is more of the same we've seen in previous arcs.

See, but that's my problem: Naruto's chapter is only good in reference to everything else Naruto has done lately. If this was a stand alone work that had nothing to do with Naruto, nobody would be treating it as anything more than the mediocre story it is. I feel like a story needs to be good on it's own right to be considered good, not just good in relation to a bunch of shit that was put out previously

360pages

See, but that's my problem: Naruto's chapter is only good in reference to everything else Naruto has done lately. If this was a stand alone work that had nothing to do with Naruto, nobody would be treating it as anything more than the mediocre story it is. I feel like a story needs to be good on it's own right to be considered good, not just good in relation to a bunch of shit that was put out previously

The thing is, the mystery and story is still somewhat interesting. Since the last time the series was like that was way back before the War arc started. It has an interesting mystery, and even if we know Sakura is the mom. The details of Sarada not having a birth date and the set up to the upcoming chapters. While not great is still something.

Doing or redoing similar arcs isn't bad. It's just that One Piece last week was amazing, and this week it's just kind of eh. Of course next week might make these chapter amazing in that context.

I can't really accept the idea that something that was clearly not intentional (Especially since I guarantee you this story ends with Sarada forgiving or learning to appreaciate Sasuke as a dad) and more a byproduct of shitty writing can make a chapter good. "So bad it's good" is still bad. Also, I disagree with the way you summed up One Piece chapter (Especially since you completely ignore the heart and soul of the chapter in King Reku's speech, which takes up way, way more screentime than anything else you mentioned, especially Zoro and Jesus which took up pretty much no screentime). Also, the part with Zoro to me implies the one who will actually end up getting the job done will end up being Franky, not Zoro anyways

I thought the one piece chapter was great. the speech was emotional, the action was great, we learned that gear 4 has a strict time limit, and we learned more about awakened devil fruits, a concept that was first brought up in Impel Down

yup, i think franky will come up with something involving sea stone.

or, the fact the whole factory seems to be made of it, opens up the escape plan of stuffing everyone in the factory

That King Riku speech was just another "Don't give up" speech amongst the hundreds that have already been told.

If it seemed emotional to you, that's fine.

But to somebody whose stopped caring about those kind of speeches since long ago, it was really nothing special.

That King Riku speech was just another "Don't give up" speech amongst the hundreds that have already been told.

But to somebody whose stopped caring about those kind of speeches since long ago, it was really nothing special.

I mean, I won't disagree that's it been done a million times before. I just thought it was well executed, and to me good execution will always be far more important than being unique or fresh. Being fresh is a bonus, but I couldn't care less if it's not executed well. A purple shit might be unique, but it's still shit

Never expected Shonen wars to reappear in here, just need someone stanning for Bleach for it to be complete. :p

Seriously though i should read some stuff again since i've been kinda busy.

And honestly, I feel like the only reason anyone feels the stuff in the Naruto sidestory is fresh or unique is because they're comparing it to the war. If this was a standalone story unrelated to Naruto, I don't think anyone would see it as anything other than generic and boring

360pages

I mean, I won't disagree that's it been done a million times before. I just thought it was well executed, and to me good execution will always be far more important than being unique or fresh. Being fresh is a bonus, but I couldn't care less if it's not executed well. A purple shit might be unique, but it's still shit

I think it's just that, we've seen it a lot in One Piece...and I mean A LOT. I think almost every major arc as a seen like it or similar. Right now I'm more interested in the arc ending and seeing who joins the crew, even if we know it's probably going to be Jinbe

I think it's just that, we've seen it a lot in One Piece...and I mean A LOT. I think almost every major arc as a seen like it or similar. Right now I'm more interested in the arc ending and seeing who joins the crew, even if we know it's probably going to be Jinbe

I mean, I get that, and I understand it, it's just that to me I don't care that much as long as it's handled well. Also, Jinbe is definitely going to join, though he isn't necessarily going to be next.Speaking of Jinbe, I wonder how the process of him giving Robin the poneglyph he had in the cover page this chapter will go

360pages

I mean, I get that, and I understand it, it's just that to me I don't care that much as long as it's handled well. Also, Jinbe is definitely going to join, though he isn't necessarily going to be next.Speaking of Jinbe, I wonder how the process of him giving Robin the poneglyph he had in the cover page this chapter will go

I know, but shaking things up is good once in awhile. It tends to happen with stories as long as One Piece. So I don't mind it.

I also liked the speech in One Piece because of the implications it could have for Dressrosa in terms of the world. Remember back in Alabasta the reason Vivi didn't join the crew wasn't just because she was needed in Alabasta, but also because there would be a lot of bad implications for the country if she openly aligned herself with a group of pirates. This is also why Cobra and her all went along with the WG's story that Smoker caught crocodile. Now here we have the ruler being very open in supporting and siding with the Strawhats. The splash this going to cause in the world is greater than just a bounty increase for the crew, because there's no way the marines can just say Fujitora caught Doflamingo and stripped him of his rights as a shichibukai in this situation.

I really couldn't give two ahits about the kid ninjas in Naruto Gaiden. None of them have shown any interesting character traits that would make me not want to click to the next page faster.

Times like those we're forced to remember that yes, the target demographic is, in fact, young children.

360pages

I did like the weight behind ringing the golden bell in skypiea.

Luffy defeating crocodile was another good one. As well as Luffy defeating Lucci, I think it was just how they were framed. His actions told you not to give up without the need of telling us though a voice not to give up.

I really couldn't give two ahits about the kid ninjas in Naruto Gaiden. None of them have shown any interesting character traits that would make me not want to click to the next page faster.

Eh i think Sarada seems cool but thats more because she doesn't seem like a shitbag like the Sauce (and that Includes his early appearances) right now .

Could this change for the worse? maybe, hopefully it doesn't

Naruto 700+2

Was hoping this would just focus on comedy. It still can I suppose.

i hope so too.

drama is fine here and there, but naruto kinda drained the fields for that.

the one thing i AM glad is that Sasuke wasn't used as fodder or to pad up the new threat as "OMG THESE NEW BAD GUYS ARE SO TOUGH".

sasuke/naruto are basically ninja gods at this point, so i hope that they don't job for story's sake.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
ReLife 45
"Heart beating fast syndrome
do you mean love?"
Holy shit, google become so advanced, it can predict the user intention!

Centaur's worries 61

Finally, the end of Hime adventure in another world. Not sure what to think about this arc.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, the Naruto thread is posting NSFW fanart. I don't even know why I went in there....

Just read all of One-Punch Man. Oh my goodness! Its incredible. If the anime encapsulates even a fraction of any of the action scenes its going to be INSANE. man I hope they do it justice. Its so rare for manga or anime to drop my jaws these days. Bleach tried way too hard and Naruto just needed to end (though I am pleased with the two recent chapters with the kids...its kinda cute but hopefully they don't get to carried away...*sigh*). One-Punch Man has me hooked just like Black Joke atm. Hasn't been a new chapter released for Black Joke in like 5 weeks tho...anybody else on here read that? I enjoy it immensely as well for the over-the-topness of it all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We only talk about shipping half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom