• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahou Tsukai no Yome read up to chapter 19 today.

i am quite impressed, i gotta admit. i may or may have lost a manly tear. (but i was also high as a kite.)

interesting and emotionloaded story up until now. i would recomend. i really wanna know how this will go on.

btw, could u guys suggets some good seinen? already read 2 many :(
what ive read:

thx in advance :)

Shoukoku no Altair
7 Seeds
Kokou no Hito
Imperial Guards

Jenenser

Prison School ?
Solanin
Goodnight Punpun
Boys on the Run
Saturn Apartments
Kokou no Hito

read it all, can't wait for the next chapter.
i wanna see him end up together with hanna sooooo much. commented on it in a few threads already :D

gonna look into that.

:(

boys on the run looks interesting, i think i remember the art. could be i've read 1-2 chapters several years ago. gonna give it another try.

gonna look into it :)

first chapter just got me hooked

thank you for your suggestions seems like i have something to do. :D
here, have an icecreamcone <3 ;)

Shoukoku no Altair
7 Seeds
Kokou no Hito
Imperial Guards

gonna look into it

i've read up to 10 chapters a few years ago, didn't get into it too much + i disliked the artstyle a little bit to be honest.

poster before u just got me hooked :)

my first impression of this manga was not great. that first chapter put me off. should i give it another chance?

here,have cone for you too <3 thx :)

btw, reading manga since 13 years. so my memories can be fuzzy of what i've read and what not.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
boys on the run looks interesting, i think i remember the art. could be i've read 1-2 chapters several years ago. gonna give it another try.

Don't get into Boys on the Run. I'm gonna save you so much heartache here. I love BotR, I think it is fantastic and an amazing thing in general. The guy scanlating and translating it stopped on the ninth volume. It's been a year since he last updated it... We're never going to see the ending. Save yourself the horrible dissapointment now ;_;

i am quite impressed, i gotta admit. i may or may have lost a manly tear. (but i was also high as a kite.)

interesting and emotionloaded story up until now. i would recomend. i really wanna know how this will go on.

what ive read:

berserk
sanctuary
monster
onepunchman
parasite
dorohedoro
vagabond
sun-ken rock
terra formars
several horrormangas (all the ones from the artist wich made the holes-in-mountain manga)
and many , many, many more....

i am open to pretty much everything except sportsmanga. (only if they are written really good.)

Black Lagoon

That's all I got

Jenenser

Don't get into Boys on the Run. I'm gonna save you so much heartache here. I love BotR, I think it is fantastic and an amazing thing in general. The guy scanlating and translating it stopped on the ninth volume. It's been a year since he last updated it... We're never going to see the ending. Save yourself the horrible dissapointment now ;_;

i can handle miura, i can handle everything. but thx for the warning :D

Black Lagoon
already read it. the anime is great too! still thx

cone of icecream for you both. <3

what ive read:

berserk
sanctuary
monster
onepunchman
parasite
dorohedoro
vagabond
sun-ken rock
terra formars
several horrormangas (all the ones from the artist wich made the holes-in-mountain manga)

i am open to pretty much everything except sportsmanga. (only if they are written really good.)

Biorg Trinity

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
what ive read:

berserk
sanctuary
monster
onepunchman
parasite
dorohedoro
vagabond
sun-ken rock
terra formars

I'm gonna throw out some stuff that's all completed and have endings. I'm gonna try and not say too much, because going into something blind is always super fun.

Goodnight Punpun is a pretty good read. You've probably seen some pictures of it around, it is a pretty popular choice.
Doubt is a really fun Saw style horror manga. It's also short.
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is my favorite manga of all time. Not that that means anything. The art takes a little getting used to, but the story is amazing and certain moments make me cry without fail.
Bokurano is a really dark mecha. Very much in the style of Evangelion, but somehow way darker.
Narutaru by the same author. It seems pretty cool and happy at first, but it gets pretty fucking dark and weird by the end.
Akumetsu is basically about why capitalism is the worst.

I'd full heartedly recommend all of these. But seriously, read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I can never recomend that particular one enough. If you end up liking it, also be sure to check out the author's current running series Spirit Circle and Sengoku Youko. Both of them are fantastic.

Lain

what ive read:

berserk
sanctuary
monster
onepunchman
parasite
dorohedoro
vagabond
sun-ken rock
terra formars

If you're read parasite you've probably already read Historie and Heureka, but if you didn't go read them. They are nice historical manga.
You don't like sports manga but Giant Killing and Tetsuwan Girl are really good, if you haven't already read them. Testuwan Girl is a bit less about the sport and more about the struggle of living and fulfilling some goal, while Giant Killing spends time on both developing the characters as well as pulling off some exciting matches and some of the psychology of the fans, the players, the coaches, the teams etc that's in the sport.
Little Forest and Children of the Sea are pretty good. I consider Igarashi stuff a bit surreal and for stuff like Children of the Sea re-reads are something I'd recommend because it feels like there are always details to catch on on the second, third or more read-through.
Cesare is another good historical manga. Great art and some great past characters. Also, by the same author, ES and Damned Sun.
Anything Tome Kei also gets my recommendation.

Jenenser

Goodnight Punpun is a pretty good read. You've probably seen some pictures of it around, it is a pretty popular choice. :(...
Doubt is a really fun Saw style horror manga. It's also short. read it all, isn't there another one out with a similar style but with birds in the theme? (and another one with a cube where children from school get killed for a game/test)
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is my favorite manga of all time. Not that that means anything. The art takes a little getting used to, but the story is amazing and certain moments make me cry without fail.
i think i've read 5 chapters when i was 18. i probably didn't apreciate it. gonna look minto it again.
Bokurano is a really dark mecha. Very much in the style of Evangelion, but somehow way darker.
lost my interest in that one. :/
Narutaru by the same author. It seems pretty cool and happy at first, but it gets pretty fucking dark and weird by the end.
gonna look into it more, looks and sounds interesting :)
Akumetsu is basically about why capitalism is the worst.
have read all of it, fitted right into my "sturm und drang" time

Spirit Circle and Sengoku Youko. gonna look into em after biscuithammer.
Lone Wolf and Cub - wasn't there also an old japanese tvseries? gonna look into it.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - one of my fafourite giblys :) (does the manga expand the story and lore?)

Historie and Heureka - love it.
Giant Killing -dropped it after 30 chapters or so. i just lost interest :/ (i am not that mutch of a footballfan and the characters couldn't carry it for me.
Tetsuwan Girl - this sounds nice, gonna check that one out.
Little Forest - food and character. gonna definately read that. also interesting artstyle. :D
Children of the Sea - subscribed! :D
Cesare - i've read that up to the aviable chapters several years ago. it was pretty good, gonna pick it up again.
ES - interesting description, gonna look into it.
Damned Sun - sterile artstile, characters are in focus and seems like it has an interesting story, i will check it out :D
Tome Kei - i enjoy the storys. beautifully drawn. gonna look for the obnes i didnt read.

is your name a tribute serial experiment? :D

thx :D

this is gettin quite a list, nice a thank you all. free icecream for everyone! <3 <3 <3
ok now i wish i really had icecream i am melting here. >_<

Melancholy World 06

that felt like a finale even though nothing was resolved :x

I did like how they explored forgetting everything, really made this all interesting

Attack on Titan 70

Mikasa so overprotective rofl she's gonna turn Yandere

I doubt we are supposed to recognize the monkey but where exactly were those last pages taking place? Good to finally see the plot move forward and technology start to advance now.

They will remember Annie anyyyytiiime now

Attack on Titan

So apparently Crunchyroll made a mistake in their translation
The Ape Titan says that "Annie can be saved later", but they translated it as "You can save HIM later"
How the hell did THAT slip by?

Woah seriously? What a fuck up.

Hayate x Blade 83-84 & Thoughts on This Arc of the series

And with chapter 84, this long arc, and major part of the series, comes to a close... with a happy ending! I'd been hoping it would end well, but things sure didn't look good for Sae and Akira. Well, maybe they can't beat the patriarchy, but they do finally grow spines and refuse to go along with it. That's what I've been hoping for ever since the 'Sae is goign to have to marry a sexist jerk' and 'Akira's father is also a sexist jerk' plotlines. Sadly both male characters are apparently irredeemable, but seeing both of them refuse to continue to go along with it, after never having resisted in person before, was pretty great. This series is mostly about comedy, light yuribait, and swordfighting (with wooden weapons only) with some bits of occasional drama, but the drama's a bit higher in this arc than it has been before. Many managas may have gone for a depressing ending to this arc, but I'm very happy to see that this one didn't do it. Happy ones are so much better!

So yeah, in ch. 83, Ryuichi gives an insufferably awful speech about how great he and the patriarchy are, pretty much, and how Akira never will get what she wants (because she's a girl), and how Sae should feel privileged for being able to be his wife, that she won't need to go back to highschool again, etc. The chapter ends with quite the cliffhanger. But in chapter 84, maybe thinking of the words of her friends from school, Sae FINALLY stood up for herself to his face, left the car, and swore at Ryuichi. It's an awesome moment. And just before that, Akira... left Hayate's plastic bag hero mask behind for her father, not the deed pt the school. :lol: And then she returns the deed to Pres. Hitsugi. That's awesome, that's something so out of character for her! Great character progression there, doing that; the "idiocy" of the other girls at school has fortunately rubbed off, and she's a better person for it. He got what he deserved. Of course both of them rethinking their attitudes would be nice, but that'd be asking far too much, sexism doesn't just go away.

Overall it's a great end to a major story arc in the series. I wonder what the changes Hitsugi (best school president ever? Probably!) has in store... it'll be fun to see. And uniform changes too? What'll be different?
Her punishing Akira and Sae by giving them some punishments for "failing the punishment game given to them when they lost the match" is kind of ridiculously silly though, considering that Akira's "loss", that is returning the deed, was actually a win for both Hitsugi and Akira. I guess it was a lose-lose situation for Akira here, though this loss is a lot less bad than things would be the other way, so she'll take it. That's such a HItsugi thing to do, punish someone for doing exactly the thing you wanted them to do... though so far the punishment is only 'organize and host next week's school assembly' so it's not something too bad.
I will also be interested to see who has white uniforms after this, unless that system is going to change too.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 18

LcBB4D4.png

ontan speaks on a level I can sympathize with

Attack on Titan 70

INNOVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good on Historia for helping out those kids..... and I can't believe you guys don't remember that glasses guy who turned out to be the monkey Titan.... seriously man, I can't believe it was actually him o_O

Woah....
I have no clue who he is

Usobuko

Banned
wasn't there also an old japanese tvseries? gonna look into it.

This is just me but I watched the first episode of 70's(?) TV drama of Lone Wolf and Cub and I guess I preferred the manga. Be it the main character, his little boy and the action sequences.

Lain

This is just me but I watched the first episode of 70's(?) TV drama of Lone Wolf and Cub and I guess I preferred the manga. Be it the main character, his little boy and the action sequences.

I remember watching the TV drama late at night and loving it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Attack on Titan (caught up)

I started reading this again because someone said we were near the basement?

???

You lied to me. We're still at least 804 years away.

Revo

Tsuyokute New Saga 1-16

I like how proactive he is, going forward towards his goal so quickly.
Helps that there's barely any fluff at all.
Looking forward to more.

Defuser

Attack On Titan ch 70
Oh hey, a Eren x Historia moment. This is something I can get behind due to the delicious reactions and NTR Mikasa can conjured up.

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 31.5

In what world is this a '.5' chapter. It's just as packed as regular chapters, if not more so :lol: Always great to see characters in a more relaxed environment, especially ones like Arima (he's surprisingly human when not in combat). Urie being forced to get groceries was pretty great, I think there is hope for me liking him yet.

Seems like the Re staff are all in the loop, even about Uta. Speaking of Uta, he's such a great character. I can't wait to see his end game. Excited to see where we go now that Sasaki knows more and is willing to talk with Internal-Ken (whose design is great, that opening page). I'm guessing an investigation arc, similar to the first post-timeskip arc in TG.

Zweizer

Banned
thx :D

this is gettin quite a list, nice a thank you all. free icecream for everyone! <3 <3 <3
ok now i wish i really had icecream i am melting here. >_<

7 Seeds isn't a seinen series and the art can take a while to get used to, but I wholehearteadly recommend it, as it has a great story and setting as well as some of the best character development in the medium. Glad to hear that you're enjoying Boys on the Run. Do share some impressions with us as you keep reading it. Also, have you read Dowman Sayman's works such as Nickelodeon and The Voynich Hotel?

There is zero chance Eren x Historia can happen because Historia already pretty much confessed to Ymir

Nah breh, they've been dropping the hints ever since everyone else was sort of put off by Historia's real personality but Eren said he liked her better as Historia than Krista.

Even if she does have a thing for Ymir, nothing stopping her from also liking Eren, especially since Ymir isn't around.

EDIT: And yeah the Mikasa fandom would probably go ham if this occurred against the odds.

Dresden

uq holder - 55

Oh god, a zombie apocalypse masterminded by Moaning Myrtle. I love her. The undead invasion arc as a whole was a dud, though.

---

The last ten chapters or so had been unexpectedly enjoyable. It slips from BATTLE CITY to a timeslip romance/training arc, and I've grown to like the new cast. Dana is pretty amazing too - as shonen-battle-mentors go, she's one of the best.

Raxus

Shokugeki no Soma 121
lU9rypz.png

The face of a man that knows what he is doing

On one hand this face is hilarious. The problem with the constant threat of expulsion means Soma is going to exceed in at least SOME aspect to pass. Here's hoping the booth leads to more surprises than Soma surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom