• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

It was released in the US according to wikipedia.
As far as basketball manga are concerned, I'm loving Ahiru no Sora.
Well shit, color me shocked, it even got fully released from the look of it. What's up with the title change and the amateurish covers after that though?

Shouta

Synopsis! I could do with diversifying my reading list a little.

Got released in the US, Harlem beat -> Rebound.

It's about a benchwarmer on the high school basketball who learns about Streetball. He ends up making a quick name for himself and continues to quickly polish his skills up. It's basically just like any other sports manga in premise.

However, what is unique is that it isn't just a single tournament. The first arc is a Streetball tournament, the second arc is the national high school basketball tournament, and the last set of volumes is a mix of both. The author is female so she ends up throwing in a good balance of basketball and good character content. As a result, there's a pretty good mix of folks in the story. The girl characters also aren't stupid/silly/lame either thankfully.

It also incorporates a lot more of real life b-ball and assumes you know something about the game. It explains a lot of the more advanced strategies and references a lot of players both in style and play. She even shounen-ifies it a little bit as a joke, heh.

The art is really good. It doesn't have growth in art like Slam Dunk did and it doesn't become hyper-detailed like SD but it's pretty well drawn and the action is pretty solid. At the very least, it's fairly original action and not like the copy a picture stuff Inoue did for SD.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you can. The only caveat is that volumes 10 and 11 never got translated. Tokyopop tried to rebrand it and start from the National tournament by just giving it a short flashback and changing the time frame starting with vol 12. Vol 10 and 11 are the preparation for it and makes it hard to fake the timeframe as a result, heh.

The ANN manga guy did a piece on it last year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2012-02-02

Gintamen

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome - part 20

ivPsFHx8HgkVN.png

That is funny, what is this magical manga.

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome

It's a series where your average high school student has time slips into the future where he is married to the most popular girl in school. And his silly adventures with a bunch of his not popular friends as he tries to make his future a reality.

It's filled with fun jokes and references and a good bunch of overreactions.

K Memory of Red 15 [end]
With No. 6 and K ending was going to be sad but at least Memory of Blue is starting in December, so months and months of glorious K posters and covers, though with the blues this time and maybe some Fushimi and Yata.

This final chapter was great but then all sad and all as it just led into the major event pushing Homra forward in the anime. So sad and havent cried that much at the end of a serialized non one shot manga since
Spiral Bonds of Reasoning

Lucky Dog 1 Blast 15

Not the way I thought Guilio wanted all of Gian Carlo. I wonder if in the source material he was like that and creepyish,

Oh well the cliffhanger was intense, please escape safely.

Soul Cartel 83
tumblr_mrsu6rUtbb1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Its always the blues that look the best in the artstyle hear, easily makes me enjoy every single one of shihoons fights. Dont know how he will get out of this human hunter one though, too high level difference.

Shouta

Nakajima and Hirose look about right for the roles. A little more adult than most 14 year-olds but that can be explained with growing sooner than others.

What really makes them look older though are the pro cameras, techniques, and make-up. I know JP kids that are actually 14-15 years old and they actually look like them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nakajima and Hirose look about right for the roles. A little more adult than most 14 year-olds but that can be explained with growing sooner than others.

What really makes them look older though are the pro cameras, techniques, and make-up. I know JP kids that are actually 14-15 years old and they actually look like them.

Here in the USA we would never try to pass off adults as teens, particularly not on television

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's not forget he's also too handsome to play Hachiken. All they did was put glasses on him; he's like the distaff counterpart of Rachael Leigh Cook in She's All That.

Angry Grimace

Rachel Leigh Cook *drool* She's still hot to this day.
You say that like she's pushing 50 lol. She's only 33, which might surprise you since I agree it seems like she's been around forever.

Naruto

Its all because of Rin.

The only explanation is that the anniversary of their deaths is coincidentally the same.

QP3

I am sure you guys get this a lot, but OP said it was okay to ask for recommendations so here goes. I am a male who loves sports and action. I will try to make a concise list of my interests and what I am looking for. Thank you for any and all help!

1. I really enjoyed reading Naruto. I also loved to watch DBZ, so fighting/action mixed with comedy I guess is what I like. I am obviously open to more varieties, but that is my exposure so far.

2. Nothing too kiddy or girly. No offense to anyone who may like that, obviously, but it just is not my cup of tea.

3. Preferably not too slow. I like action and things happening on a regular.

4. Preferably on going or with an active community I can discuss with

5. Neat art styles are always a plus

Thanks again!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Taiyou No Ie Volume 2

Hiro:
-Owns a house
-Is self-sufficient
-Loves animals
-Cooks
-Does not jump on Mao (because he probably has no penis)

Oda
-Bleaches his hair.

I think it's obvious who's better husbando material.
Best ending would be Mao and Radical discovering yuri's purity, though.

dumbyugi

I am sure you guys get this a lot, but OP said it was okay to ask for recommendations so here goes. I am a male who loves sports and action. I will try to make a concise list of my interests and what I am looking for. Thank you for any and all help!

1. I really enjoyed reading Naruto. I also loved to watch DBZ, so fighting/action mixed with comedy I guess is what I like. I am obviously open to more varieties, but that is my exposure so far.

2. Nothing too kiddy or girly. No offense to anyone who may like that, obviously, but it just is not my cup of tea.

Thanks again!

One Piece would probably be right up your alley. It's very long though. Fullmetal Alchemist is finished but is fantastic and has a good mix of action and comedy.

Some other reccomendations:
Fairy Tail
Nanatsu no Taizai
Magi - Labyrinth of Magic
Toriko
Blue Exorcist
Onepunch-Man
Anagle Mole

QP3

One Piece would probably be right up your alley. It's very long though. Fullmetal Alchemist is finished but is fantastic and has a good mix of action and comedy.

Some other reccomendations:
Fairy Tail
Nanatsu no Taizai
Magi - Labyrinth of Magic
Toriko
Blue Exorcist
Onepunch-Man
Anagle Mole

Thanks, I'll look into them!

Thanks again!

Katekyo Hitman Reborn (thought its finished, but I am always open to discuss it, best series to come from JUMP)
BLue Exorcist
Assassination Classroom
World Trigger
Jesus x Dogs
JOKE:&#1071;RS

Sports
Haikyuu!!

Fullmetal Alchemist is the greatest of all time

Ending wasnt good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom