• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mann vs. Machine (Team Fortress 2 Co-Op) |OT| Robot Parade

B00TE

I've been playing Pyro a lot, but I noticed no one seems to join the GAF servers as a kritz medic, making even basic runs harder.

Everytime I've popped into a GAF server I've been a kritz medic. :p

I make bad calls on deployment sometimes though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Then you are a hero I would be honored to fight the robot hordes with. I love kritz medics, because they make basic missions a fucking cakewalk. I spend so many points as a pyro on health regen, and I find Scouts and Snipers using a lot of mad milk and jarate just to get crits because there isn't a crit medic to supplement that.

I don't think you NEED one, but it makes missions a hell of a lot easier.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

At least it's much easier to get good Kritzes now that your patient's ammo count is visible. People have been asking Valve to do that forever... I do hope they add the ability to see their total ammo and not just what's in the clip though.

Berordn

Then you are a hero I would be honored to fight the robot hordes with. I love kritz medics, because they make basic missions a fucking cakewalk. I spend so many points as a pyro on health regen, and I find Scouts and Snipers using a lot of mad milk and jarate just to get crits because there isn't a crit medic to supplement that.

I don't think you NEED one, but it makes missions a hell of a lot easier.

It's a lot more practical than ubers, since everyone can deploy those on command now, and with the shared canteen the medic can too should the wave call for them. You get a lot more out of that extra damage than you do out of invulnerability, for the most part.

Especially when you're a dumb Heavy like me who doesn't buy the clip upgrade and run out of ammo during uber :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a lot more practical than ubers, since everyone can deploy those on command now, and with the shared canteen the medic can too should the wave call for them. You get a lot more out of that extra damage than you do out of invulnerability, for the most part.

Especially when you're a dumb Heavy like me who doesn't buy the clip upgrade and run out of ammo during uber :(

I agree, but I meant a kritz medic vs no medic.

I've been playing Pyro a lot, but I noticed no one seems to join the GAF servers as a kritz medic, making even basic runs harder.

Anyone down for doing Manovers? That's the only basic mission I'm missing for the achievo, and we were getting trounced on the GAF server when I tried before lunch.

I'm happy to play pyro, medic or Heavy, as the team needs.
I'm down, don't know if you want me, since I was part of the squad getting bounced...

Or add the servers to your favourites by: TF2 Main menu Servers -> Right Click and "Add server by IP address". Don't forget that you manually have to enter the password.

Nvm I can't seem to connect to Outerhaven #2

Or add the servers to your favourites by: TF2 Main menu Servers -> Right Click and "Add server by IP address". Don't forget that you manually have to enter the password.

Outerhaven #2 is empty. Anyone want to play there?
I think there is something wrong with Outerhaven #2

thetrin

I think there is something wrong with Outerhaven #2

Yeah, it say the map versions are wrong.

I'm down, don't know if you want me, since I was part of the squad getting bounced...

Jake, I always want you on my team.

I would love to try Manovers again. The team either breaks up right as we get to Mannworks, or we get trounced for one reason or another.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Looking for 2 more, just about to start a full rotation -

connect 76.12.190.168:27015; password r00tacc3ss

EDIT: Make that 4 more. O.x

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Paywall really sucks. I wish they would've added just one or two items that were achievable through regular play.

That said, found a server yesterday that doesn't boot you between games and had loads of fun for a while.

Heavy is so much fun >:)

Psy-Phi

I can kind of agree with that. I've played for 4 years now, myself, but having brought friends on-board over the past 2 years, I can agree that the game can seem confusing and unclear.

My best advice would be to find someone to play with who can give you pointers, and to play medic until you get a feel for how games typically play out, what classes typically do what, etc. A medic is useful as long as he's healing people, and it gives you the opportunity to take everything in while still contributing to your team.

There's nothing inherently wrong with things being unclear. TF2 is a multiplayer only game, and it has many modes that we all had to learn at some time or another. There's no real barrier of entry other than getting killed from Veterans, but what online game doesn't have that threat?

If anyone finds TF2 too daunting, they just don't want to play it. The modes aren't doing anything you haven't played a derivative of before elsewhere, it just has a lot of charm and humor, and the class based system that a game with CTF or control point play may not have.

My recommendation to anyone trying to pick up TF2 for the first time, is to play the Medic. You can learn the maps, learn what teams should be doing, and observe much more than you can as someone trying to directly kill others.

duckroll

Sitting in a party with 5 other friends. Matchmaking... wait wait wait.... about 1 minute left..... Estimated time: ? ....... 19 minutes left. LOL Valve time. :(

Also, Mandoric hasa problem on his server. For some reason we keep running into a bug where sometimes waves stop spawning and the game can't continue. He gets weird errors on his server console like unable to load XXXXXXXX. Any idea what's wrong?

Sitting in a party with 5 other friends. Matchmaking... wait wait wait.... about 1 minute left..... Estimated time: ? ....... 19 minutes left. LOL Valve time. :(

Also, Mandoric hasa problem on his server. For some reason we keep running into a bug where sometimes waves stop spawning and the game can't continue. He gets weird errors on his server console like unable to load XXXXXXXX. Any idea what's wrong?

connect 76.12.190.168:27015; password r00tacc3ss

Need 4 players! No waiting!

Javaman

I'm on a GAF server, Mannworks. 74.88.209.137:29100 quote for password. It's part of the janky servers I think?

It has no connection to the item server :(

Are you online? I think I have you on my friends list, but I can't see you

Server admins need to set...

SV_PURE 1
Or SV_PURE 2

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers

In order for players to get achievement and drops. The item server might be affected by that too.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Took us a while to get started, but ultimately good games in Outerhaven #1! *salute* I'll probably hop back on after dinner.

(this is Doumeki Kai, btw)

I think the only 3 classes I have left now for Hack of All Trades are Pyro, Sniper, and Spy... Gotta pull myself away from spam classes more often, heh.

Javaman

When people are organizing games it might be a good idea to also list the maps you've already finished. That'll make it easier for the host to pick a challenge you all need to do.

Javaman 2,3,5,6
Peoples#2 3,4,5
Peoples#3 1,2,5,6
Etc

Mandoric

Banned
Getting a strange error.

"WaveSpawnPopulator: Can't find target entity 'wave_start_relay' for StartWaveOutput" and then an enemy wave doesn't even start, or "WaveSpawnPopulator: Can't find target entity 'bombpath_wavefinished' for DoneOutput" after killing a tank and then wave never ends.

Even WaveSpawnPopulator alone doesn't show up on Google at all. WTF?

You can get achievements with sv_pure 0?

I can get achievements and item drops on servers where my client side mods work, so it doesn't have to be fully pure, at least.

But they might be using the whitelist one, and not including any of the graphics?

duckroll

I'm starting to hate this game because of how much time is wasted on the pathetic matchmaking, and the awful bugs that can happen in the actual game, and the horrible balance where some waves are practically impossible and unfun with less than 6 palyers. :/

Javaman

I can get achievements and item drops on servers where my client side mods work, so it doesn't have to be fully pure, at least.

But they might be using the whitelist one, and not including any of the graphics?

Yeah, my bad. I just read at some other places that you can get them with pure 0. The first place I read it was wrong. Yay for misinformation.

I would LOVE it if they would add dynamic balancing of bots for fewer players. I wonder if it acts like a double whammy for teams missing players since they could spawn an extra bot/s in place of the person. This game would be fun in highlander mode with fewer but stronger bots to counter the higher player count.

Exuro

I'm starting to hate this game because of how much time is wasted on the pathetic matchmaking, and the awful bugs that can happen in the actual game, and the horrible balance where some waves are practically impossible and unfun with less than 6 palyers. :/
Yeah, they really need to get matchmaking working faster.

I spent over 30 minutes with a group of 5, found an in progress and we decided to start over and it dc'd all of us. Then we jumped into the queue again for a good 30 minutes with 6 people and the server we were connecting to was an older version. In other words we spent a good 2ish hours trying to play(with tickets/vouchers) and weren't able to.

Really ticked me off seeing that I paid to do item runs and wasn't able to even get in the game.

Are you doing the Mann Up Mode or just browsing servers? I never had trouble getting into a game by browsing. Definitely agree on the balance, I don't even take a round serious unless there's six people present.

Mandoric

Banned
Are you doing the Mann Up Mode or just browsing servers? I never had trouble getting into a game by browsing. Definitely agree on the balance, I don't even take a round serious unless there's six people present.

We've tried queueing F2P and our own private dedis. Both have had... issues.

Javaman

Yeah, they really need to get matchmaking working faster.

I spent over 30 minutes with a group of 5, found an in progress and we decided to start over and it dc'd all of us. Then we jumped into the queue again for a good 30 minutes with 6 people and the server we were connecting to was an older version. In other words we spent a good 2ish hours trying to play(with tickets/vouchers) and weren't able to.

Really ticked me off seeing that I paid to do item runs and wasn't able to even get in the game.

Yeah, same thing happened to us last night at 11:30... We waited and waited and after finally getting a server it was running a previous version. Really valve?

I'm starting to not look forward to completing my badge. As it is I can play on any of the maps I've already completed to help friends out without consuming tickets BUT as soon as I finish the badge ill need new tickets to play on any of the maps. That's going to cost another $5 to play through them again leaving one incomplete so I can help out.

One bug I've seen a lot is when one of the large versions of enemies walks off the hill, it'll sometimes get stuck and bounce in the air like a pyro is airblasting it. Makes them incredibly easy to kill.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't believe how bad the matchmaking for this is.

Oh my god, Valve.

It's a little infuriating. And I'm finding that I can't use the server list either because it's not displaying the correct player count. Basically the only way to play seems to be waiting in the matchmaking queue (and not getting the error message at the end of 15 minutes) or jumping into all the gaf servers and hoping there is an open spot.

The mode seems really awesome, but the amount of effort required to play it is annoying.

HoosTrax

I wonder if some months down the line, after the development costs of MvM are covered, Valve is going to make Mann Up mode F2P and grant special badges to those people who completed it before then.

Btw, I'm kind of surprised that they haven't introduced bot-kill counters for Strange weapons yet.

mojiimbo

I wonder if some months down the line, after the development costs of MvM are covered, Valve is going to make Mann Up mode F2P and grant special badges to those people who completed it before then.

Btw, I'm kind of surprised that they haven't introduced bot-kill counters for Strange weapons yet.
From what I can tell those are the main hook to get people to spend $6 on a Tour of Duty or whatever.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Botkiller_weapons

Razek

Banned
Steam is such a piece of crap sometimes. I spent all day downloading TF2. Get in, everything has my saved settings from before, cool. I go into training real quick to check some of my options and such and I get the HL2.exe stopped working error. I assume it's my dying hard drive so I restart my computer. I restart steam and go to play TF2 and now it's telling me I need another 4gb update??? WTF.

Guess I'm not playing anytime soon.

Top Bottom