• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mann vs. Machine (Team Fortress 2 Co-Op) |OT| Robot Parade

Just played some scout in servers where I had a nice ping. Oh my. The cash buff is amazing, on Decoy you can just keep staying at the front lines without getting killed. And when you upgrade the scattergun, you can blow through hordes of robots.

Bluth54

I wonder if some months down the line, after the development costs of MvM are covered, Valve is going to make Mann Up mode F2P and grant special badges to those people who completed it before then.

I doubt Mann Up mode will ever become free.

I imagine they'll use some of the money to buy some inevitable Mann vs Machine community maps and add them into the game though.

Is there a way to use a canteen in crafting? I didn't realize you get one for completing a mission so I crafted one and now I don't have a need for two :/

Just played some scout in servers where I had a nice ping. Oh my. The cash buff is amazing, on Decoy you can just keep staying at the front lines without getting killed. And when you upgrade the scattergun, you can blow through hordes of robots.

Ditto, but I prefer to use Mad Milk and the Sandman for slowing targets and marking them for mini-crits. Then again I should probably be using the fan to mark targets.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got to play some more of this and did a lot of damage as a huntsman sniper. For how much shit some guy talked to me in another server for trying to play sniper, I felt like the class can really help.

I finally got to play some more of this and did a lot of damage as a huntsman sniper. For how much shit some guy talked to me in another server for trying to play sniper, I felt like the class can really help.

I got a lot of crap for playing Scout but upgrading the Force-A-Nature properly and you can mow down a lot of enemies. The instant respawn is nice as well.

Jintor

How do you trigger votes to get to harder gamemodes? Most aussie servers are set to 'cakewalk' missions right now.

Grinchy

Banned
I got a lot of crap for playing Scout but upgrading the Force-A-Nature properly and you can mow down a lot of enemies. The instant respawn is nice as well.

Yeah I think some people really undervalue the support classes.

I was just in a group that dominated and I was playing huntsman sniper. I am loving this mode right now. The server browser is actually working for me now. When it says there's an open spot, there is actually an open spot.

KarmaCow

If you upgrade your resistances, it's almost impossible to die. With Mad Milk and the HP on kill perk, I was running around with almost 700 HP overheal, losing very little health. There was one wave with a bunch of Scouts and a Giant Heavy. I stood right up to the heavy tanking it while everyone else just blasted him, killing Scouts in the process which gave me even more health from the cash drops.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thanks to all the gaffers today that helped me finish Manouvers to get the Raid Array achievement. I'm really excited to hop into some advanced games, so I'll be showing up on Outerhaven #3 starting tomorrow. Look forward to killing (and being killed by) plenty of robots.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Robo-Spies can handle themselves one of them first class tickets to the Resurrection.

Had a great match joining a server late. Everyone was collecting money, so when I joined I damn near upgraded all of the stats for the minigun on the Heavy, and all three slots for the Uber Canteen.

(⌐■_■)\ - Nothing survived.

Javaman

LOOK AT YOU PESANTS WITH INCOMPLETE BADGES.

PEASANTS.

Hey Dream, What happens when you complete the badge? Does it all reset and you have to buy more tickets in order to play with friends on Mann up? If so Shitty on Valve. I don't care about "ranking up" a silly medal. Buying tickets to play through with friends who hadn't completed it yet would be terrible.

Grinchy

Banned
Huntsman/Jarate Sniper is more useful than I anticipated.

Yep, I'm destroying as a huntsman sniper in this mode.

I'm really liking this MVM shit a lot now. It sucks when you can't get people to balance out a team, or when you get the know-it-all who knows nothing, but I'm sure that'll lessen with time (and if I stop playing random servers).

Sciz

The first wave of Disk Deletion is probably not strictly impossible to two-man, but it is damned hard to do so. :(

Proven

How do you trigger votes to get to harder gamemodes? Most aussie servers are set to 'cakewalk' missions right now.

Hit ESC to pause the game, and next to the "Resume Playing" option there will be three little boxes. One of them is a checkmark. Use it to call a vote.

mik83kuu

Banned
Is the main TF server down for everyone else too? I can't even browse for servers for fucks sake and it's been like this for the past couple of hours and a several times this weekend.

Danj

I played this with some folks from #duckroll IRC last night, once I got the hang of it it was hella fun. And it's great being an engineer who can actually seriously contribute something to the team. Some handy looking tips in here for that though, might have to try those next time.

Dakota47

I like how Valve still makes it possible for friends to join a game, even if you're playing in Mann Up mode and the friend doesn't have a ticket. No splitting of the community is a good thing.

mclem

I'm still trying to figure out how the game can put us in a four-person group and then show no signs of giving us people to fill out. The best group I had - voice comms, good teamwork, missing few credits - never really recovered after our engineer randomly dropped.

What's the lowest credit rating people have got for a wave and still completed a Mann Up run?

mclem

Damn this can be hard. Needs more variety though, like how payload has different sections.

Given that the badge for this ToD has a bomb motif, I'm wondering if the 'hordes running in with a bomb to drop' only applies to *this* ToD, with future tours using different mechanics.

Defuser

Man this 6 player limit is pissing me off. I can never find a server which is isn't full, literally got no chance to play at all.

duckroll

I like how Valve still makes it possible for friends to join a game, even if you're playing in Mann Up mode and the friend doesn't have a ticket. No splitting of the community is a good thing.

Really? That would be weird. We got into an official Valve community server in Boot Camp mode yesterday, and when one of us left, I tried to invite another friend into the game, but he got an error which says the server only accepts connections from matchmaking and does not allow ad-hoc connections. :(

Played a couple of games and have so far had most luck playing the heavy, soldier (wearing that weird sci-fi rocket that blasts energy blasts), and the medic. The medic in particular is a great boost to the team, but gets kinda boring once you've fully upgraded the heal gun (and the needle gun is kinda lame).

Javaman

Played a couple of games and have so far had most luck playing the heavy, soldier (wearing that weird sci-fi rocket that blasts energy blasts), and the medic. The medic in particular is a great boost to the team, but gets kinda boring once you've fully upgraded the heal gun (and the needle gun is kinda lame).

Yeah I was real dissapointed that the blutslauger didn't get the penetrate boost. It's rare that you'll need to use needles, but that upgrade alone makes it vastly more powerful

Dakota47

Really? That would be weird. We got into an official Valve community server in Boot Camp mode yesterday, and when one of us left, I tried to invite another friend into the game, but he got an error which says the server only accepts connections from matchmaking and does not allow ad-hoc connections. :(

That's weird. I was playing Mann Up mode. A buddy of mine without tickets joined through the chat window and had no problem connecting. I was actually surprised it was possible.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

If your friend joins a game by right clicking your profile and choosing "Join Game" then it should work fine.

Dakota47

I'm talking about a specific experience I had yesterday.

Ah, excuse me.

This made me think though. Would this mean that you don't necessarily need to play on an 'official' server to be in Mann Up mode and that it's in part client side? You would expect all Valve servers to follow the same rules. I can't check it because I'm not near my computer and can't have a look at the server history.

Jintor

Hit ESC to pause the game, and next to the "Resume Playing" option there will be three little boxes. One of them is a checkmark. Use it to call a vote.

Turns out there's also an unassigned key thingy that just brings up a thingy in game!

Proven

The joining Mann Up games in progress thing only happened to work yesterday afternoon, so it could have been one of Valve's patches went too far in the opposite direction. But it did happen with two different servers found through Mann Up matchmaking, so chances are less that it was a rare fluke and more that something got changed recently.

Turns out there's also an unassigned key thingy that just brings up a thingy in game!
Interesting.

siddhu33

So, fastest way to down a tank?

I usually just punch it, while an engineer's level 3 turret does do some good damage. There was a situation where the tank got to the bomb site, and was unloading, before we just killed it.

Top Bottom