• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mann vs. Machine (Team Fortress 2 Co-Op) |OT| Robot Parade

andycapps

It's a fun little TF2 mod but it's completely beyond me why anyone would pay real money for this.

It'd be worth it if the official mode that you pay for no/shorter queues. As of now, it's just as bad for me. But I enjoy the mode, worth paying $.99 for.

Berordn

It's a fun little TF2 mod but it's completely beyond me why anyone would pay real money for this.

It baffles me why anyone would pay real money for purely cosmetic items and yet TF2's profitability just keeps going up.

Just smile and nod.

Javaman

I was playing with someone who had a great idea for a mode... endurance where you have all of the upgrades and unlimited waves. You try to see how far you get before losing. I said it before but I still would love highlander mode. Combine the two and valve would have a holy grail.

Also I think an attack mode where thing are flipped and you have to storm the bot's base would be pretty cool. Kinda like the oldschool unreal assault.

Either way I'm looking forward to what valve adds to this mode. Now that the ground work is already done it should be easy to add more variety.

Grinchy

Banned
It'd be worth it if the official mode that you pay for no/shorter queues. As of now, it's just as bad for me. But I enjoy the mode, worth paying $.99 for.

Yeah I can't believe anyone would even use the awful matchmaking for free, let alone pay money to wait for that long.

Once the servers stopped reporting the wrong player counts for me, I have used the server browser to get into this mode and nothing else. I might buy some tickets once they fix the matchmaking, otherwise I'll just enjoy it for free.

Sciz

Also I think an attack mode where thing are flipped and you have to storm the bot's base would be pretty cool. Kinda like the oldschool unreal assault.

Either way I'm looking forward to what valve adds to this mode. Now that the ground work is already done it should be easy to add more variety.
I think what disappoints me the most up front is that the three existing maps are all basically the same at slightly different scales. There's a lot they could do to mix it up with level design alone.

Well Crap, I still can't get through the first mission set.
We always failed the giant critz soldiers 3-4 times and then people leave.
I need to get with a coordinated team.
I think the biggest issue is just tactics and placement. I'm usually heavy but I don't have a medic or any support. So, I wipe out the first few waves, then I get low on heath and ammo and die. then by the time I buy back in, the bomb is nearly at our base and I can't fight them off. We have too many people spread out or not shooting the right robots.

The biggest issue I've seen is an engineer putting a dispencer in the weirdest, out of the way place. If I can just get to it at all I can stay alive and keep shooting.

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
Fixed matchmaking sending players to out-of-date servers
Fixed the server browser showing an incorrect player count in MvM games
Fixed a crash that could occur on map change if another player was being healed by the dispenser or payload cart
Fixed a rare server crash when firing hitscan weapons
Fixed MvM intro video not playing on some Macs
Fixed the sound precache string table being nearly full in non-MvM games
This was causing the "error writing string table baseline" and "failed reading message net_SetConVar" errors

andycapps

Well Crap, I still can't get through the first mission set.
We always failed the giant critz soldiers 3-4 times and then people leave.
I need to get with a coordinated team.
I think the biggest issue is just tactics and placement. I'm usually heavy but I don't have a medic or any support. So, I wipe out the first few waves, then I get low on heath and ammo and die. then by the time I buy back in, the bomb is nearly at our base and I can't fight them off. We have too many people spread out or not shooting the right robots.

The biggest issue I've seen is an engineer putting a dispencer in the weirdest, out of the way place. If I can just get to it at all I can stay alive and keep shooting.

I think the most crucial role on the map is the engineer. Correct dispenser placement to feed the guys fighting, while keeping it protected, and correct sentry/backup sentry placement. And then knowing when to move the sentries to the back line of defense, etc. I don't think a medic is very necessary if the dispenser is in a good place, but I'm open to other opinions if someone can show me how it doesn't work otherwise. You just have to upgrade your bullet resistance and explosion resistance.

I always get a notification after waiting 10 minutes in matchmaking that I'm running a different version of the game than the server. Hopefully this means I get that again tonight. Lolz

If anyone wants to get a game going tonight, my Steam ID is same as here.

I finished all 6 maps, got a gold minigun botkiller. Nobody wants to buy it off me.

I'll even trade for a gold wrench or sticky bomber.

I think the most crucial role on the map is the engineer. Correct dispenser placement to feed the guys fighting, while keeping it protected, and correct sentry/backup sentry placement. And then knowing when to move the sentries to the back line of defense, etc. I don't think a medic is very necessary if the dispenser is in a good place, but I'm open to other opinions if someone can show me how it doesn't work otherwise. You just have to upgrade your bullet resistance and explosion resistance.

I always get a notification after waiting 10 minutes in matchmaking that I'm running a different version of the game than the server. Hopefully this means I get that again tonight. Lolz

If anyone wants to get a game going tonight, my Steam ID is same as here.

I've been specing for ammon capacity, firing rate and health regen. It's basically to compensate for what we are lacking. Mowing down a group at high speed will keep me alive as well as a medic, I just need to keep the ammo coming.

The group we had last night was really good too. We got a+ on the first 4 rounds and then we couldn't even handle the giant soldiers with medics. Once I die noone else damages them enough to stop them.

andycapps

I've been specing for ammon capacity, firing rate and health regen. It's basically to compensate for what we are lacking. Mowing down a group at high speed will keep me alive as well as a medic, I just need to keep the ammo coming.

The group we had last night was really good too. We got a+ on the first 4 rounds and then we couldn't even handle the giant soldiers with medics. Once I die noone else damages them enough to stop them.

I usually do the same thing. I put some points into upgrading my health and don't really need a medic. Like you said, you need the ammo capacity, reload speed though.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
If I'm interested in cosmetic items is it worth it to go Mann Up mode? Would I just need one ticket to get non common items or do I need the surpus vouchers too? Are item drops based on your stats or random?

If I'm interested in cosmetic items is it worth it to go Mann Up mode? Would I just need one ticket to get non common items or do I need the surpus vouchers too? Are item drops based on your stats or random?

Item drops are random. I've used two tickets and have only gotten weapons, but some people have gotten hats/miscs. If you beat the 6 missions I believe you get a bot killer weapon, but I'm not certain. The Tour of Duty ticket is enough. You get an extra item for how many surplus vouchers have been activated.

If I was going to buy tickets, I'd buy 6. But I haven't bought any.

2MF

I updated my server to the new version.

connect 109.74.204.218:27015; password quad_damage

I'll be there soon, hope someone wants to play today...

Mandoric

Banned

That's the problem with buying to do what a dispenser should be doing for you anyway. Firing rate is the only one of those worth anything with a decent team comp or even decent positioning.

Ammo capacity is just plain useless, if you stand on top of a dispenser or even ammo box you'll never run out and you shouldn't be trying to move and fire your minigun anyway, just run to the next good spot to defend from if a wave gets by your forward position.

Health regen is pretty bad too because as heavy, damage on you is spiky and frontloaded (you're grabbing hate with curtain fire at the START of a wave, before teammates peel off individual bots with precision weapons) while kills are spiky and backloaded (you're effectively doing AoE damage, ESPECIALLY with penetration, and the whole wave tends to fall over at once.) So you get killed at the beginning of a wave, or you have to duck back, hide, and then recover a few hundred all at once.
Or if you're just buying the straight regen per second, same problem, except it's even less likely to kick in when you need it.

Anyway, the solution to the crit soldiers is actually pretty simple. Buy your 600 cost skill, the one that shoots down enemy projectiles, and -shoot down their rockets-. Grab hate at the beginning and then just aim straight down the barrel of their launcher and let rip. No dodging, no fuss, no muss. You can buy a crit canteen to do it in a single ammo load or an uber canteen so you don't get ripped up by their support, or just stand on a dispenser/pickups and have it not matter.

Nekofrog

Banned
I have a dedicated TF2MvM/Doublecross server located in northern California. IP is 24.10.5.114:27015

For those who don't want to wait in queues.

andycapps

I updated my server to the new version.

connect 109.74.204.218:27015; password quad_damage

I'll be there soon, hope someone wants to play today...

Joining now. I'm the only one! Need everyone.

Can add me here.

Nekofrog said:
I have a dedicated TF2MvM/Doublecross server located in northern California. IP is 24.10.5.114:27015

For those who don't want to wait in queues.

All full, tried to join.

I'm in a random MVM game now. Someone invite me if you want to get a game going, please.

KarmaCow

The botkiller weapons seem dumb. I get that the most of the cosmetic weapons are only seen by other people 99% of the time anyway, but why aren't they all like Wrench or Knife where you can at least see the bot head?

HoosTrax

Love getting a good pub team that can tear through rounds. 5 out of 6 down now, just need to do Endurance. Going to try to find some info about what bots come in each wave.

The botkiller weapons seem dumb. I get that the most of the cosmetic weapons are only seen by other people 99% of the time anyway, but why aren't they all like Wrench or Knife where you can at least see the bot head?

You can see them, and they move around a little bit. http://youtu.be/93jFRzMofk8?t=15m3s

I imagine you can see them on the Rocket Launcher, but the Sticky Launcher probably blocks the head. I think they look dumb too, but I want one... strangely.

Grinchy

Banned
All you have to do is extract to the main TF2 folder?

I just dragged the bots folder to tf>materials>models (so, in the models folder)

The bots folder shouldn't exist before you do it. I'm sure you can just extract to the main tf2 folder too. It works perfectly btw. Grey robots ftw.

thefro

I'm definitely going to have to recruit a GAF crew for Mann Up mode, because the randoms I tried it with sucked hard. We couldn't even get past the first wave.

Servers patched:

Shadowhaxor's Outerhaven Server 1:
connect 76.12.190.168:27015; password r00tacc3ss

Shadowhaxor's Outerhaven Server 2:
connect 76.12.190.168:27025; password r00tacc3ss

Shadowhaxor's Outerhaven Server 3:
connect 76.12.190.168:27035; password r00tacc3ss

khefka

Neo Member
I was playing with someone who had a great idea for a mode... endurance where you have all of the upgrades and unlimited waves. You try to see how far you get before losing. I said it before but I still would love highlander mode. Combine the two and valve would have a holy grail.

I agree, a highlander mode supported from the main menu would be awesome. I'd also like to see a server mod that randomizes your class every time you die. That might already be a thing but if so it must not be prevalent.

dentoomw

For those outside the Continental US, how has the pings been like on official Mann Up servers? I'm wary about buying a ticket since I'm not sure how playable the mode is from South East Asia.

Top Bottom