• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mann vs. Machine (Team Fortress 2 Co-Op) |OT| Robot Parade

Mandoric

Banned
I ended up getting projectile destruction on my heavy, it really cuts down on some of the rain from the rapid fire giant soldiers. So worth it.

When I play Heavy, having enough cash to buy it for the first soldier/demo/ball scout wave is like priority #1.
Oh, other heavy choice: Added ammo at all is a bad idea. Even just standing on top of an ammo box will keep you shooting indefinitely at anything below max RoF, and the only time you should be shooting while standing out of range of that or a dispenser is for tanks. For tanks, you do far better DPS with crit canteen, run and reload, second crit canteen than with 100 more ammo.

Roody

Neo Member
Fun times with Jake Tower and Sgt. Pepper! I'm Inspector Spacetime on Steam.

B74C6AC9F39F7875E2DF1A25AACF028EC1E298AA
Pepper glitched out, though. Best health robot ever!

Proven

I have a mvm_decoy server running at 109.74.204.218:27015

Password is quad_damage

Server is located in London. Join in, I'm in there now!

It's my first TF2 server and I just finished setting it up, so I don't guarantee it will be stable. I will learn how to set up the map rotation later, for now I guess it will stay in this map...

Need people. Now. connect 109.74.204.218:27015; password quad_damage

Fou-Lu

Just downloaded TF2 to try this out with my friends. Never played TF2 before AND I'm terrible at FPSes, they'll have to carry me the entire time I'm sure.

Berordn

Just downloaded TF2 to try this out with my friends. Never played TF2 before AND I'm terrible at FPSes, they'll have to carry me the entire time I'm sure.

Not at all. You'll benefit from having twitchy FPS reflexes of course, but you could play Engineer, Spy, or Medic. The three of them don't particularly go on the front lines, but they're still vital to a team and they're more involved in strategy than blowing brains out.

Setero

Neo Member
Natasha's comparatively low damage output hurts against giants and tanks, and scouts gain so much health from collecting fields of cash that Bonk is overkill.

As long as you choosing firing speed upgrades i don't see how Natascha's lower damage really matters.

Proven

I am someone that hates FPS games. I play Halo for the co-op modes and somewhat interesting guns, but generally speaking I hate FPS games and play almost everything else.

I also have over 1500 hours of TF2.

I have a mvm_decoy server running at 109.74.204.218:27015

Password is quad_damage

Server is located in London. Join in, I'm in there now!

It's my first TF2 server and I just finished setting it up, so I don't guarantee it will be stable. I will learn how to set up the map rotation later, for now I guess it will stay in this map...
It looks like you have server map time enabled; you need to deactivate it.

Setero

Neo Member
You could also have those firing speed upgrades with, say, a brass beast, and do about 50% more damage.

You're missing the point, with Natascha you create choke points and slow enemies for allies, with brass beast you're just doing pure DPS which really doesn't matter as much as keeping the horde from advancing and escaping the choke point, this especially true on higher difficulties.

If your Heavies choose both firing speed and penetration upgrades and stand next to a dispenser then pretty much nothing will get by.

Angry Fork

That advanced mode we played was so bad rofl. Jake after you left we finally won something a couple deaths after and got up to like wave 4 or something before losing. But wow those scouts, I had my sentry set up right but they'd run past me and I can't catch up to them carrying the sentry. Frustrating.

Jintor

The only class I think that can turn a dead team into a winning team is probably engie, just because the sentry auto-targets and can just wipe the floor with bots.

Sianos

Our team of two Engies, two Scouts, a Pyro, and a Heavy aced Advanced Coal Town. It's all about that group synergy and collecting that cash. I've found Mad Milk + Fan o' War/Sandman works very well for Scout.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wrangler engie is much more useful.

Agreed. Wranglers is way more useful. Also, it's nice to load up on ubers just in case your team flubs on stopping the sentry buster.

Btw, I got pyrovision today via the achievement, and I was curious if pyrovision drastically changes any of the MvM maps.

Jintor

Agreed. Wranglers is way more useful. Also, it's nice to load up on ubers just in case your team flubs on stopping the sentry buster.

Btw, I got pyrovision today via the achievement, and I was curious if pyrovision drastically changes any of the MvM maps.

It doesn't seem to be correctly implemented yet.

anybody need an extra for mann up? Ive completed ctrl alt destruction and the second level of decoy (the one with 6 waves, not 8)

HoosTrax

I'm in a group of 4 looking to do a run with all vouchers. Need 2 more. Anyone?

EDIT: Need 1 more.
I ended up finishing the match with the rest of your guys around midnight EST after you had to go. I think only me and tree guy got loot because the others had D/Cs at some point D: . The last round ended up being surprisingly easy. We had so much DPS for some reason at that point that we had big gaps between each waves where we could run back for crits canteens.

Grinchy

Banned
This mode is so much fun. This is the most TF2 I've played in months.

I'm getting a little annoyed by the slowdowns I'm experiencing though. When I jarate a big group, all the "mini-crit" messages cause my framerate to die.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Do you always get a hat/misc when you complete a mission in Mann up mode? I just finished a round and had a ticket used, but I didn't get anything besides some items from a squad voucher and the tour of duty badge.

Paertan

Played some this weekend with a friend. Matchmaking didn´t work. Over 15 minutes of waiting, nah screw that. But joining through server browser worked just fine.

Was really fun when we got a decent team anyway. I played mostly as Medic, first because no one else did and it seemed to go a lot better when we had a medic. But it was fun so propably gonna continues with that.

Any tips for a Medic?

Proven

Played some this weekend with a friend. Matchmaking didn´t work. Over 15 minutes of waiting, nah screw that. But joining through server browser worked just fine.

Was really fun when we got a decent team anyway. I played mostly as Medic, first because no one else did and it seemed to go a lot better when we had a medic. But it was fun so propably gonna continues with that.

Any tips for a Medic?

Charge rate upgrade is useful. With a kritz you and a Heavy can single handedly deal with a tank, allowing the rest of your team to deal with the other robot waves.

Heal rate upgrade ain't bad. Everybody knows why the QuickFix is awesome, right?

Share Canteen upgrade is extremely powerful. You can have an uber even if you're running kritz, a kritz even if you're running uber, or just extra ubers and kritzes on demand. But that gets expensive and requires a lot of coordination. What I'm going to start doing instead is buying the ammo refill, and then I can have a kritz Heavy never stop shooting.

I'm also starting to pick up the speed upgrade more often when I Medic. I tend to not have enough cash to buy any resistances, so I have to depend on not getting hit.

Paertan

Charge rate upgrade is useful. With a kritz you and a Heavy can single handedly deal with a tank, allowing the rest of your team to deal with the other robot waves.

Heal rate upgrade ain't bad. Everybody knows why the QuickFix is awesome, right?

Share Canteen upgrade is extremely powerful. You can have an uber even if you're running kritz, a kritz even if you're running uber, or just extra ubers and kritzes on demand. But that gets expensive and requires a lot of coordination. What I'm going to start doing instead is buying the ammo refill, and then I can have a kritz Heavy never stop shooting.

I'm also starting to pick up the speed upgrade more often when I Medic. I tend to not have enough cash to buy any resistances, so I have to depend on not getting hit.

Sounds like good advice. Just have to unlock the Kritz. Which seems easy enough. I mostly started with Heal Rate then started to upgrade my weapon and some blast resistance. Grenades is what mostly kills me when I am healing someone so blast resistance helps.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm guessing it either Spy or Sniper. Both my worst classes and I thought I did them already.

I feel bad playing as a Sniper or Spy because I suck so badly with them.

Pretty much the reason I won't be getting that achievo either. I love when gaffers are willing to help out, but I just can't justify stinking it up as a shitty spy or sniper.

Aaron

Spies aren't useless since they can zap the bots, and snipers are okay with the right gear. At least doing one of the easier sets. The last final wave I tried had four tanks and four giant heavies with platoons of medics, plus all the fire and grenades you can't handle.

Metal-Geo

Spy, being my favorite class, was the first class I completed a mission with. Just make sure to upgrade the sapper for a bigger radius, and the knife for backstabbing armored enemies. Also, the dead ringer is a must. Giants will aim at your ass almost instantly when you sap or backstab anyone around them. (yes, even from behind)

With that said, press the fucking F4 key already, people.

I've got a server up, no map time limit that I'm giving for youGAF use today. Quote to see

connect 68.232.163.130:27015; password el33taccess

As I am a first time server admin, please bear with me if I have anything screwy on it. Otherwise, I'll probably need to take it back after I leave work tonight for some other stuff.

Enjoy!

For sniper, I go maxed Jarate and huntsman with penetration, maxed reload speed, some ammo capacity and some damage.

I go crits canteen and I do a lot of damage.

zaxon

For sniper, I go maxed Jarate and huntsman with penetration, maxed reload speed, some ammo capacity and some damage.

I go crits canteen and I do a lot of damage.

Yeah, Huntsman/Jarate is very useful and a blast to play.

It's a shame you need unlocks for the class to even be viable, though.

2MF

Anyone up for a game today?

connect 109.74.204.218:27015; password quad_damage

I'll be there in a sec...

Top Bottom