• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

macuser1of5 said:
I do good with OTR shirts, but I'm a pretty easy fit. I avoid MTM, especially online, unless absolutely necessary. A lot of the stuff I see coming out of these programs suffer from either too little adjustment or too much, IMO.

And no I'm not buying $30 shirts.
That's fine. I'm sure someone fits into OTR stuff perfectly, maybe even most people, because the clothes are designed to be worn without needing any alteration.

I am, hilariously enough, also 6'2" with a 16.5" neck and arms that fit best into 34/35 sleeves. That means any shirt that fits my neck and my arms is built for someone with a stomach about 5x as big as mine, so the shirt balloons out of my pants and makes me look like a clown.

Draft said:
I am, hilariously enough, also 6'2" with a 16.5" neck and arms that fit best into 34/35 sleeves. That means any shirt that fits my neck and my arms is built for someone with a stomach about 5x as big as mine, so the shirt balloons out of my pants and makes me look like a clown.
Yeah that's a problem with most readily-available clothing; the parachute waist effect. I've noticed the main hangup is the armhole; they are usually gigantic which throws off the entire shirt's fit and movement. Add to this a lack of taper in the waist and you have a pretty awful fit that will take a good amount of money to correct. It's kind of difficult to get slim fitting shirts in general but I do well with Marc Jacobs, McQueen, Gitman Vintage, CK Collection and some misc others. Most, aside from Gitman due to current hype levels, are pretty easy to get at 50% or more off retail. I like kind of odd colors and prints so I'm sure there are cheaper options like BB Extra Slim etc. out there.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:
You want a dress shirt or oxford that fits right, get one made. What are you divas paying for your off the rack shirts? $30-$40 a pop? You can get a custom made shirt for $80. Twice as expensive, but it will last longer and it will look better.

This is working man knowledge, not BAPE nonsense.
Probably $20 per shirt. The custom made thing is new to me, and I've read a fair amount of nay-saying regarding fit or material. Who do you recommend.

LordCanti

Draft said:
You want a dress shirt or oxford that fits right, get one made. What are you divas paying for your off the rack shirts? $30-$40 a pop? You can get a custom made shirt for $80. Twice as expensive, but it will last longer and it will look better.

This is working man knowledge, not BAPE nonsense.

I'm glad that I can generally find stuff that fits me well, because I don't have $80 to spend on custom shirts. If I did, I'd cry like a little bitch if they got ruined in the wash, or if something got spilled on them.

Etrian Oddity said:
Well hell, I guess I gotta get a new pair of Sperries then. Guess I can try to sell these big ones off to someone. -_-

I wear a size 13 4E. I walk around like Sideshow Bob, but I've never had anyone comment about my feet just being too large for their tastes.

Doytch

Speaking of MTM shirts, there's a $100-for-$50 thing on at Daily Hookup for Blank Label. Pretty interesting options, read good things about their new sourcing, but haven't tried them myself.

I got my first shirt from Express a few weeks ago. 1MX Extra Slim, and small fits like a champ. 6' 155lbs here, but sizing is weird cause my chest is larger than my waist (30) would normally dictate cause of genetics and running marathons. Might start buying from their online store for dress shirts from now on if this one holds up...when they're on sale.

macuser1of5 said:
wwIfe.jpg

not sure if want etc
No dude. Absolutely not.

Doytch

Are we talking about the slim cargos? Yeah...not sure I'm getting on that bandwagon. TSB has some ways to wear it, but the only one which doesn't look terrible imo is the last one. And the shoes...not my cup o' tea...

I think you made it look worse than it could be with that pose though, dude. :lol

I could never wear cargos with a blazer, would look ridiculous (glass houses etc). They are strictly casual. I don't think they look good with laced shoes, either.

RE: the pose; I was gunning for my pockets and the camera caught me, oh well. :D I need to stop taking pics at this angle, it makes me look stubby.

Other people should post fits, only three or so people have in this thread.

Rocksteady33

Draft said:
That's fine. I'm sure someone fits into OTR stuff perfectly, maybe even most people, because the clothes are designed to be worn without needing any alteration.

What do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm the same measurements as you and at 195 and they are still way too large in the chest/stomach. What sucks is I want to lose probably 15-20 pounds and that's only going to make it even worse...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So... suggestions for a 25 year old straight male?

My normal wear (summer at least) is usually the plain American Eagle t's with AE khaki shorts and sandals. I am liking the plain colors look more and more.

I keep trying to find some good button up shirts to wear with jeans for fall/winter, but all of them I find look bar untucked with jeans and are meant for tucking into dress pants. Where do you guys get plain button-ups to wear with jeans?

Shoe recommendation for that look?

Sorry, a bit of all over the place here. I am just beginning to shape what I actually want to be wearing...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
macuser1of5 said:
I don't wear button ups with jeans. Get some casual pants/chinos/whatever IME.

Hmm, I thought about trying this. Most of my friends are all jeans/tshirt kind of people and thats what I have always worn so I have always felt that a jump to wearing khakis causally would be odd for a while, but I do like the way it looks.

CFMOORE!

Deadly Cyclone said:
So... suggestions for a 25 year old straight male?

My normal wear (summer at least) is usually the plain American Eagle t's with AE khaki shorts and sandals. I am liking the plain colors look more and more.

I keep trying to find some good button up shirts to wear with jeans for fall/winter, but all of them I find look bar untucked with jeans and are meant for tucking into dress pants. Where do you guys get plain button-ups to wear with jeans?

Shoe recommendation for that look?

Sorry, a bit of all over the place here. I am just beginning to shape what I actually want to be wearing...

for the shirts, you can get away with not tucking them in so long as they are properly fitted. you want length to not be so long you look silly but long enough that when the occasion calls for it to be tucked that it can be. Sleeve length you want proper as well. It will come down to your measurements and so forth. I buy online from Gap for more casual button ups and Banana Republic for slightly more dressy button ups in XS since it is an online exclusive size.

As for shoes with that look, depends on what jeans you are wearing. If you're starting fresh in terms of a jeans build up. Trying sticking to straight legs that fit perfect lengthwise and if you're a stick, try a slim or skinny cut because some slim/skinny jeans can look pretty normal, they're not all spandex. The shoe you'll want to be a slim profile shoe with these sorts of proper fitted jeans. No bulky skater or basketball shoes here.

When it comes to any fashion style you're trying to piece together, FIT, is always the most important factor. when you look at any ensemble in a magazine or online you'll always notice how everything tends to just look perfect on the model, you want to get as close to that as possible. For most that is almost impossible with off the rack stuff, but you just have to try.

Doytch

If the shirt hangs over your thigh, tuck it in. It'll feel and look weird at first, this is just because you're not used to it, stick with it. If your pants and the shirt fit well, you'll look way better than the dude in the bar with the shirt that hangs over his ass. Trust!

This doesn't apply if your jeans are baggy. Listen to CFMOORE re:fit.

So I have heard a few time in this thread and the last that white cotton socks are a no-no. What then is suggested that I wear with something like these white vans and jeans? I needed some plain sneakers for when I ride my bike (Clarks and strap in pedals don't work so well). So if I were to ride over to a friends house and go out, sockless? Tall Socks? My shortest white socks which will still stick over the shoe?

sharkmuncher said:
So I have heard a few time in this thread and the last that white cotton socks are a no-no. What then is suggested that I wear with something like these white vans and jeans? I needed some plain sneakers for when I ride my bike (Clarks and strap in pedals don't work so well). So if I were to ride over to a friends house and go out, sockless? Tall Socks? My shortest white socks which will still stick over the shoe?
In this case, I would just use the long white socks that Vans sells. I like their tube socks and own plenty in both black and white for my casual, casual outfits.

Doytch

Getting on the WAYW bandwagon, today for work and a gallery viewing after (excuse the dust on the mirror...):
PZgAP.png

- Not sure how I'm feeling the hem on these cords. They've already been hemmed, but they're super lightweight so I'm thinking a no-break might even be worth it. Opinions?
- Since they're tough to pick out, shoes are black Paul Smith wingtips, the shirt actually has a blue and black microstripe with a white contrast collar, and the tie is a silk knit from The Tie Bar.

Got to buy myself a suit or atleast something smart as I now have a job interview in London!
I mean Ive had one or two before but they are long gone so now I need ot replace it.

Any suggestions on color? Im not a fan of black ones if im honest but if im looking at spending no more than like £130 I cant Imagine I get alot of choice.

Zilch

Banned
Doytch, do you consider those "work" trousers? If so I do think the hem needs to be higher, too slouchy/casual right now.

Doytch

Zilch said:
Doytch, do you consider those "work" trousers? If so I do think the hem needs to be higher, too slouchy/casual right now.
Not really, I work in a really casual environment so that wouldn't bother me. I mean, I've worn a button-up with the top three buttons undone and flip-flops. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on what hem would be best with this kind of a material. It's lighter (weight-wise) than my chinos ffs.
Got to buy myself a suit or atleast something smart as I now have a job interview in London!
I mean Ive had one or two before but they are long gone so now I need ot replace it.

Any suggestions on color? Im not a fan of black ones if im honest but if im looking at spending no more than like £130 I cant Imagine I get alot of choice.
Grey. You'll stand out just a bit more than the legions of black suits.

Zeppu

Is there a europe based equivalent of moderntailer.com? Something which someone has used and is happy with and preferably not super expensive.

Rocksteady33

macuser1of5 said:
Yeah that's a problem with most readily-available clothing; the parachute waist effect. I've noticed the main hangup is the armhole; they are usually gigantic which throws off the entire shirt's fit and movement. Add to this a lack of taper in the waist and you have a pretty awful fit that will take a good amount of money to correct. It's kind of difficult to get slim fitting shirts in general but I do well with Marc Jacobs, McQueen, Gitman Vintage, CK Collection and some misc others. Most, aside from Gitman due to current hype levels, are pretty easy to get at 50% or more off retail. I like kind of odd colors and prints so I'm sure there are cheaper options like BB Extra Slim etc. out there.

Just got back my first tailored shirt. Ho-boy it fits good. Much better than before. Will post pics later after work or sometime this weekend.

Doytch said:
Not really, I work in a really casual environment so that wouldn't bother me. I mean, I've worn a button-up with the top three buttons undone and flip-flops. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on what hem would be best with this kind of a material. It's lighter (weight-wise) than my chinos ffs.
If they are really light weight they're gonna sway/swish around a lot when you walk if the break is really high, which can be annoying. They look fine as is; are you wearing them kind of low?

CFMOORE!

latinlikeaviolin said:
So, it's fall and I'm off to see some people

sCAfkl.jpg

For some reason, the jacket looks really short when it isn't.

using the rule that your fingers rolled up while running down the length of the jacket should hit the hem, that jacket is definitely too short.

CFMOORE!

Doytch said:
Getting on the WAYW bandwagon, today for work and a gallery viewing after (excuse the dust on the mirror...):
PZgAP.png

- Not sure how I'm feeling the hem on these cords. They've already been hemmed, but they're super lightweight so I'm thinking a no-break might even be worth it. Opinions?
- Since they're tough to pick out, shoes are black Paul Smith wingtips, the shirt actually has a blue and black microstripe with a white contrast collar, and the tie is a silk knit from The Tie Bar.

it is not a bad look but the pants are too long and your shoes look way too big for you.

CFMOORE! said:
using the rule that your fingers rolled up while running down the length of the jacket should hit the hem, that jacket is definitely too short.

Well, I don't really follow that rule! I'm a pretty short guy, so I try to make sure the length of the jacket is half the distance from the top of its collar to the floor. Plus, the sleeves are what make the jacket look shorter. The sleeves aren't normally that short, as evident by the bunching up around the forearm; they usually cover my wristbone.

what are you wearing + today; standard thing in style/fashion forums.

latin the jacket looks fine in a trendy way but i think the rolled cuff on the pants is throwing it off and making it look shorter than it is in actuality. I would kill the break on the pants personally; they seem heavy enough to not need break to lay properly.

desi dope varsity; looks like fujiwara/nn/undercover or something similar.

Desi

I could see that a little, Geller.

rest of it:
Uniqlo x Gilded Age
Levis x Warhol
Johnston Murphy vintage(?)

macuser1of5 said:
what are you wearing + today; standard thing in style/fashion forums.

latin the jacket looks fine in a trendy way but i think the rolled cuff on the pants is throwing it off and making it look shorter than it is in actuality. I would kill the break on the pants personally; they seem heavy enough to not need break to lay properly.

desi dope varsity; looks like fujiwara/nn/undercover or something similar.

Agreed about the pants. I've been meaning to take them to a tailor, but I keep forgetting. desi is killing it though

Alucrid

Banned
Chuck said:
Thanks. Would shoes like this be OK to wear in fall/winter or not really?

What are you wearing? What are you wearing today/tonight?
I see nothing wrong with it. Probably a bit cold and wont be good in the rain or snow though, otherwise they're fine.

Enron

Banned
CFMOORE! said:

Using the "thumb" rule, the jacket is too short as well.

EXGN

Wanted some fall wear for during the day that would look alright for some casual bars at night as well. Button up is a bit big, but thoughts GAF?

gafashion.jpg

Draft

Rocksteady33 said:
What do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm the same measurements as you and at 195 and they are still way too large in the chest/stomach. What sucks is I want to lose probably 15-20 pounds and that's only going to make it even worse...
I'm clocking in at about 210 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom