• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgor

I liked my outfit today, I will contribute.

Armani shirt, N&F jeans.

Photoon9-19-11at456PM.jpg

ShdwDrake

Banned
Thread subscribed. I'm from Louisiana now living in Colorado (for 3 years now) but I still haven't really gotten this winter clothing thing down yet... I went shopping just for a few things and I'll post an outfit with me in it later. But I'll definitely need some more tips before I shop some more.

Pilgor said:
Black with black shoes. I don't have a full mirror unfortunately.
Ahh ok. Good choice. Shirt could be a tad more fitted, but it looks good as is. Nice fit on those jeans. I need to dive into the raw denim scene but I'm so scared I'll mess up and get the wrong size, fit, etc. :/

Stick to sanforized and don't buy them tight just to stretch them out and you'll be fine. I like 3sixteen for a good intro brand. Made in the USA out of Japanese denim. Good finish and fit.

Pilgor

The shirt is pretty fitted, I think it's just the picture.

Sanforized is fine, but I still think you should size down at least 1. My first pair I bought true to size, and they stretched considerably. The first few weeks on the second pair were rough, but they are perfect now.

Draft

Can any of you fashion clowns recommend a good place for v-neck cashmere sweaters.

I want to get a good one, not a piece of shit, but not a $500 one either...

Draft said:
Can any of you fashion clowns recommend a good place for v-neck cashmere sweaters.

Jcrew has excellent standard cashmere sweaters, and I love they way they wear in. Just so happens they're on sale now too :) Also Nordstrom's has excellent sales every year just after New Years on their house brand Cashmere, shit is bomb and nearly half price, definitely worth stocking up on.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/JCrewcashmere/PRDOVR~85984/85984.jsp

Draft

Desi

Nintendoll said:
Anyone else feeling RRL's Fall collection for men? Classic, manly, and polished all at once. Lots of denim and tweeds, beat up work and desert boots, seriously the stuff of my fashion fantasies.
nah, never was the type of person to get hyped on depression-era manliness. Unless it involved purple stockings and frock coats.

entremet

jon bones said:
30mo8wg.gif

seriously though, in many ways i stopped trying to be ahead of the fashion curve. it's a futile effort in NY.

this fall i'm wearing lots of plain colored t shirts with cardigans over it, crewnecks and football jerseys. the late crowd can keep the ties, vests, and what have you.

and my #8 shell wingtip boots aren't generic, come on!
I can't imagine you wearing a football jersey, Jon. You're the guy who created the 300 dollar jean denim head thread.

Relaxing your style a bit?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Going to a bros, don't feel like wearing a shirt.

29fcsy0.png

CP / APC / AA / AA

bob page

Pilgor said:
I liked my outfit today, I will contribute.

Armani shirt, N&F jeans.

Photoon9-19-11at456PM.jpg
Not a fan of the shirt. I see what you're going for, but it just looks way too big (not a fan of Armani fits in general).

Ermac said:
Going to a bros, don't feel like wearing a shirt.

29fcsy0.png

CP / APC / AA / AA
High five, generic grey AA hoodie buddy!

Ermac

Yeah I agree shirt looks too baggy and formal. Try Gitman, Unis, Band of Outsiders, or J.Crew

edit hi-5 brah

CFMOORE!

Ermac said:
Yeah I agree shirt looks too baggy and formal. Try Gitman, Unis, Band of Outsiders, or J.Crew

edit hi-5 brah

but...but...it's armani! some people will probably forsake proper fit for that label no one will ever see.

Draft

entrement said:
I can't imagine you wearing a football jersey, Jon. You're the guy who created the 300 dollar jean denim head thread.

Wear a Jets jersey, look like an asshole. Wear a Giants jersey, look like an idiot. It's an eternal struggle.

Draft said:

If you don't like what you see at J Crew, take a look at Brooks Brothers' sweaters. I think you'll like them.

Pilgor

macuser1of5 said:
Armani can fit just fine; I just don't think that kind of shirt gels with jeans. It also looks big.

It's neither big nor fancy. It's ok if it's not for everyone, I thought it worked well.

Draft

Pilgor said:
It's neither big nor fancy. It's ok if it's not for everyone, I thought it worked well.
I think you're just catching flak for having some mass on your shoulders. Haters gonna hate.

could just be the photo, who knows.. it certainly doesn't look *bad*. then again, I just wear tees/sweaters/sweatshirts with jeans so this kind of mix isn't my dept. the shirt could lose some bulk in the body.

and besides, this is the internets, people nitpick beyond healthy reason :p

bob page

Draft said:
I think you're just catching flak for having some mass on your shoulders. Haters gonna hate.
No, he's catching flak for there being huge bags and ruffles near his torso. Maybe it just needs to be tucked in more.

OK so per conversation a couple pages ago. Yellow = not tailored. Red = tailored. How does it look? (this is clothes to work BTW)

33ypbaw.jpg

mubii9.jpg

Sorry for shitty bathroom pics. Just finally got a new mirror for my bedroom so hopefully that will work better from here on out.

bob page

Dr. Feel Good said:
OK so per conversation a couple pages ago. Yellow = not tailored. Red = tailored. How does it look? (this is clothes to work BTW)

Sorry for shitty bathroom pics. Just finally got a new mirror for my bedroom so hopefully that will work better from here on out.

The fitted shirt definitely looks a lot better (the yellow one looks pretty awful).

Get a new tie and you'll be good to go (I'd go with something slim).

1. Burn those ties. srs.

2. Yellow needs some more work, red looks pretty good from what I can tell. I assume you have some more... subtle shirts in your closet also? Might want to look into tweaking your pants too, they seem to be a bit on the large side.

Dr. Feel Good said:

[IG]http://i53.tinypic.com/33ypbaw.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i54.tinypic.com/mubii9.jpg[/IMG]

Yellow = Dad's shirt he let you borrow for this morning's church service
Orange = a nice fitting shirt.

Fantastic. How much did you pay? What exactly did they do besides take in the sides?

EDIT: Damn, that pocket on your chest looks HUGE now, though. Try to find shirts with no or smaller pockets.

Draft

33ypbaw.jpg

That is the worst tie I've ever seen and I spent a good chunk of yesterday looking at Donkey Kong, Peanuts and Einstein theme ties.

bob page said:
The fitted shirt definitely looks a lot better (the yellow one looks pretty awful).

Get a new tie and you'll be good to go (I'd go with something slim).

Not much of a fan of slim ties, honestly. What's wrong with the current tie? I'll continue to tailor my shirts but like the conversation has said before it's difficult to get shirts right away that fit nice at my size... and considering I'm not super rich, I'll just have to continue to tailor my wardrobe as I go (currently have three at the shop).

bob page

Dr. Feel Good said:
Not much of a fan of slim ties, honestly. What's wrong with the current tie? I'll continue to tailor my shirts but like the conversation has said before it's difficult to get shirts right away that fit nice at my size... and considering I'm not super rich, I'll just have to continue to tailor my wardrobe as I go (currently have three at the shop).
Slim ties are for people who are slim- they look good on slim people (plus, chicks dig them). Give it a try and you'll see.

But the design of the ties are pretty atrocious, too. Try for something more simple.

If you have access to Uniqlo/H&M/Zara, try there for shirts. They definitely have the best fitting button-down shirts for slim builds (and are pretty damn affordable, too).

RJNavarrete said:
Yellow = Dad's shirt he let you borrow for this morning's church service
Orange = a nice fitting shirt.

Fantastic. How much did you pay? What exactly did they do besides take in the sides?

EDIT: Damn, that pocket on your chest looks HUGE now, though. Try to find shirts with no or smaller pockets.

Took in the sides and the arms... $8 to get it done. Pretty happy about it.

Slim ties are for people who are slim- they look good on slim people. Give it a try and you'll see.

But the design of the ties are pretty atrocious, too. Try for something more simple.

Problem is I'm not THAT slim. I need to lose probably 15 pounds, which I'm working on now. I have a couple slim ties. I'll post pics with those when I get some tailored shirts back to get feedback.

ALSO fyi, the pants are tailored problem is I have huge fucking thighs, and I'm pretty sure I had my diabetes pump (basically a pager size) in one pocket and my phone, gum, keys in the other which would make it look even bigger. Will remember to exclude those next time. But even still I'm not going to lie, I have the grossest tree trunk legs you'll ever find.

Dr. Feel Good said:
that paisley with the yellow is too much. the repp isn't so good either... IMO, if you're gonna go with super-loud shirts you'll want to tone down the ties/everything else. unless you're rocking etro :p

a 3" tie will look good and slim without being a fettucini noodle.

Alucrid

Banned
bob page said:
Slim ties are for people who are slim- they look good on slim people (plus, chicks dig them). Give it a try and you'll see.

If you have access to Uniqlo/H&M/Zara, try there for shirts. They definitely have the best fitting button-down shirts for slim builds (and are pretty damn affordable, too).
I bought shirts from zara and they're way big on me. Sucks that the only shirts that fit me are $100 off the rack.

Draft

Dr. Feel Good said:
ALSO fyi, the pants are tailored problem is I have huge fucking thighs, and I'm pretty sure I had my diabetes pump (basically a pager size) in one pocket and my phone, gum, keys in the other which would make it look even bigger. Will remember to exclude those next time. But even still I'm not going to lie, I have the grossest tree trunk legs you'll ever find.
Never apologize for having big legs. A man should have legs like totem poles.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dr. Feel Good said:

Get a murse.

bob page

Alucrid said:
I bought shirts from zara and they're way big on me. Sucks that the only shirts that fit me are $100 off the rack.
Zara usually fits pretty long but is a bit tighter. I've found Uniqlo to be the perfect balance between both.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Draft said:
Wear a Jets jersey, look like an asshole. Wear a Giants jersey, look like an idiot. It's an eternal struggle.
id have to pick the jets over the g men. makes sense.

I mean I was never into tapered jeans or anything like that... my roots are from skating but I get inspiration everywhere. this Fall it's my Saints. Jimmy Graham jersey, grey waffle tees, loose fitting flat heads. Maybe throw a plain grey sweatshirt over it if I can find a real solid cashmere one. Indy boots.

A few menswear tumblrs:

http://nicetrybro.tumblr.com/ Satire + Men's Wear

http://dieworkwear.com/

Die, Workwear! is a menswear blog devoted to the good life. Since starting this blog, I've had the honor of becoming a contributing writer at Put This On (www.putthison.com). I do most of my writing there, but Die, Workwear! remains active with things that don't fit in well with Put This On.​

http://angovodo.tumblr.com/ Simple MW Tumblr

Vhalyar said:
Starting to look for a nice leather jacket for the winter...

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/KfArr.jpg[/IMG]

Yay or nay?
NAY.

Ermac

re: dress shirts, I prefer to stick to white and blues primarily, not really a fan of other colors. T he fit on the red is good though.. but yeah ditch those ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom