• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So give me some good inexpensive fashionable shirt options for wearing with non cargo shorts. I have multiple colors alongside the typical khaki. Have an army green, darker red, darker blue, etc. preferably something that keeps me cool too. Button ups?

Linen shirts, whether button ups or whatever. Since it's been so hot this summer tho, i haven't bothered with button ups and just wore white v-necks and henleys most times

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You're really making it more complicated than it is, DC. Just don't buy dumb graphic t-shirts or y'know... anything from the TJ Maxx SUMMER KNITWEAR CLOSEOUT rack; that's almost the only legitimately "wrong" thing a guy can do when it comes to putting on a shirt in the summer.

Tank tops, v-necks, scoop necks, light cardigans, lightweight henleys, short-sleeve or long-sleeve button ups...

I usually only wear jeans, t-shirt+hoodies but now I wanted to do something new. This is one of the looks:

IMAG0227.jpg

White pants AND a vest is pretty bold by my standards.

Opinions?

1. I'm about 5'9" and change. Dunno of that's short to you. But as long as you are proportioned well and get tailoring done correctly you can wear anything and look fine.

2. Is that a hoodie vest?! IMO vests worn without a suit jacket look bad. Your look would be better if you nixed it.

I have a pair of gray jeans that I like a lot but am looking for maybe 1-2 more pairs. Only pair I have right now are from Gap, but again, aside from Levis, what are my other options?

Thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You're really making it more complicated than it is, DC. Just don't buy dumb graphic t-shirts or y'know... anything from the TJ Maxx SUMMER KNITWEAR CLOSEOUT rack; that's almost the only legitimately "wrong" thing a guy can do when it comes to putting on a shirt in the summer.

Tank tops, v-necks, scoop necks, light cardigans, lightweight henleys, short-sleeve or long-sleeve button ups...

Yeah, probably. :p

I can't do V-necks very well, but currently I wear the plain AE shirts (with the tiny eagle logo). Yeah, you guys dislike AE, but these are very nice shirts in multiple colors with no big logos or anything, and they are inexpensive. :)

Just trying to vary up my colors, etc. I'm bad at telling which color shorts go with what color shirts.

I don't know if he'll like linen shirts, they wrinkle so easily ;)
Ha!
I only worry about that for work clothes.

I might go pick up a pair of Clark's desert boots today if they fit well. Does anyone have color suggestions? I'm leaning towards the regular Beeswax leather ones - just curious if there are any other recommended options. Thanks.

I might go pick up a pair of Clark's desert boots today if they fit well. Does anyone have color suggestions? I'm leaning towards the regular Beeswax leather ones - just curious if there are any other recommended options. Thanks.

Beeswax for sure. Never really considered them in any other color to be honest.

Bagerk

8FX5J.jpg

This is what I was wearing last night. We were trying to get a pose that fitted thematically with the dirty kitchen. I was considering wearing a pair of burgundy skinny chinos instead of the jeans though. Kinda glad I stuck with the jeans.

Tess3ract

Banned
8FX5J.jpg

This is what I was wearing last night. We were trying to get a pose that fitted thematically with the dirty kitchen. I was considering wearing a pair of burgundy skinny chinos instead of the jeans though. Kinda glad I stuck with the jeans.
It looks authentically 70s lol

wbsmcs

Are 3/4 shorts / capris / mid calf shorts...whatever you want to call them, acceptable to wear? Or are they pretty much a no-no for men?

Zekes!

Finally starting to come in to some money again, so I decided to shop around town with $150 for a couple things today.

Ended up picking up a green, short sleeve, patterned button up (I can't find a good picture but I like it a lot), and a pair of navy chinos, both from Club Monaco. I tried checking out a couple local menswear shops, but the brands and labels they carry are currently way out of my price range until I'm fully working again.

I'm still on the hunt for some penny loafers...I was recommended to a local menswear shop I hadn't heard of before that apparently stocks Bass penny loafers so I might check that out tomorrow. I've also been looking at penny loafers by Rancourt, but I've never had made to order shoes before, so I'm a little nervous. That might be a future investment.

8FX5J.jpg

Jeans are a little too slim in the calves for me, but I know that's just preference. I agree with Tess3ract, the picture looks authentically 70's.

I could never wear that outfit but you seem to pull it off. Nice picture.

Are 3/4 shorts / capris / mid calf shorts...whatever you want to call them, acceptable to wear? Or are they pretty much a no-no for men?
Sometimes if it's hot out, I'll roll my chinos up a little more than normal. I wouldn't go further than that though.

Enron

Banned
Finally starting to come in to some money again, so I decided to shop around town with $150 for a couple things today.

Ended up picking up a green, short sleeve, patterned button up (I can't find a good picture but I like it a lot), and a pair of navy chinos, both from Club Monaco. I tried checking out a couple local menswear shops, but the brands and labels they carry are currently way out of my price range until I'm fully working again.

I'm still on the hunt for some penny loafers...I was recommended to a local menswear shop I hadn't heard of before that apparently stocks Bass penny loafers so I might check that out tomorrow. I've also been looking at penny loafers by Rancourt, but I've never had made to order shoes before, so I'm a little nervous. That might be a future investment.

Bass Weejuns if you are on a budget.

Revoh

Hey, I need help deciding what pair of leather boots to buy, they will be my first ones, my budget is 100$. I will use them with both dark Levi's jeans and light khakis.

I'm buying it online from the USA (I'm in South America) so I can't fuck the size up.
I'm currently using some Vans sneakers size 9.5.
This may sound stupid but are boots sizes equal to sneakers?

one of my comfortable summer looks

fitted khaki shorts from Korea, red gingham/picnic pattern shirt, cheapo sneakers, and a canvas gym bag from Muji. And of course, my scooooter

403939_612922791976_494447677_n.jpg

Zekes!

Bass Weejuns if you are on a budget.

Yeah, my current plan is to cop some Bass loafers, and further down the road look into ordering some Rancourts when I'm confident enough about ordering them. Hopefully that local joint carries Bass like I was told.

Hey, I need help deciding what pair of leather boots to buy, they will be my first ones, my budget is 100$. I will use them with both dark Levi's jeans and light khakis.

I'm buying it online from the USA (I'm in South America) so I can't fuck the size up.
I'm currently using some Vans sneakers size 9.5.
This may sound stupid but are boots sizes equal to sneakers?

Honestly, I'd hold out and maybe save up some more money before ordering leather boots. Being able to cop better quality boots would be worth it in the long run.

jvalioli

Hey I think it's an upgrade from "jeans, t-shirt+hoodies" at least.

depends on what jeans, tshirts, and hoodies he was wearing. Those items can be very fashionable depending on what kind of fit they have. What he is wearing currently is pretty bad.

Rookje

8FX5J.jpg

I thought you were going to say this was your dad or something rofl

Bagerk

Jeans are a little too slim in the calves for me, but I know that's just preference. I agree with Tess3ract, the picture looks authentically 70's.

I could never wear that outfit but you seem to pull it off. Nice picture.

Cheers! Yeah these jeans are particularly tight, I prefer a little looser but I was in a rush when I bought them.

As far as it looking like the 70's, the girl who took the photo is adept at this (it is probably just instagram). Here is another example of her work...

vr3BV.jpg

It looks like I am from a 70's edition of the Joy of Sex.

Boken

Banned
Driving loafers are a pox upon menswear. Do not do this.

For boats? Stick with the king, baby. Sperry.

I had those for a year. Now I absolutely detest the look of them (driving mocs, blergh).

Gunning for suave loafers like this now:
Salvatore_Ferragamo_Demonte_Loafer_izandrew.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks guys. I wear khaki shorts and plain colored tees mostly. so whatever looks best with khaki. I'm starting to get into different colored shorts though.

wbsmcs

I bought my first pair of chinos today

wkCQs.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality.

My question is though, is that I have no idea what to wear with them. The only shoes I own are basketball shoes like Jordans and AF1. Could those potentially go with the chinos, or is it time I also bought a pair of desert boots? If so, does anybody know where I am able to find a pair for < $100?

As for shirts, is it necessary to always wear a button down with these? Or could I on some days just wear a simple crew neck and still look put together?

I thought it was about time I grew out of the whole sweatpants and hoodie wherever I go type of thing.

I bought my first pair of chinos today

wkCQs.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality.

My question is though, is that I have no idea what to wear with them. The only shoes I own are basketball shoes like Jordans and AF1. Could those potentially go with the chinos, or is it time I also bought a pair of desert boots? If so, does anybody know where I am able to find a pair for < $100?

As for shirts, is it necessary to always wear a button down with these? Or could I on some days just wear a simple crew neck and still look put together?

I thought it was about time I grew out of the whole sweatpants and hoodie wherever I go type of thing.

You could wear simple shirts with it but the shoes you gotta change. Anything but basketball shoes man.

How does manshion GAF feel about this cut? I'm currently rocking a slight variant of it which I need to let grow out a bit. I went to a barber for the first time in my life and I'm never going back, stylists seem to do better.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
How does manshion GAF feel about this cut? I'm currently rocking a slight variant of it which I need to let grow out a bit. I went to a barber for the first time in my life and I'm never going back, stylists seem to do better.

A sports figure in the midst of a game probably isn't the best example to use for a haircut; all I see is sweaty, pushed-back hair. Still, I've seen brief glimpses of you before (you're quiiite attractive) and something in this general style would likely suit your face well.

Totally agreed about the barber comment, too. I lived that nightmare for about 18 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom