• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sports figure in the midst of a game probably isn't the best example to use for a haircut; all I see is sweaty, pushed-back hair. Still, I've seen brief glimpses of you before (you're quiiite attractive) and something in this general style would likely suit your face well.

Totally agreed about the barber comment, too. I lived that nightmare for about 18 years.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to make the most of my hair while it lasts and I'm sick of getting bad cuts. I think I have a stylist I can go to from now on and build a hair relationship with. Also, here's a better picture of his hair. I'm close to replicating it but he has a touch more length in certain areas.

tumblr_llv56jEdeC1qd6ja1o1_500.jpg

Sooner or later I'm just gonna shave/buzz and stop dealing with all that altogether but not quite yet.

Went to one for the first time the other day. Better than a salon.

I think it depends on what exactly you're trying to do. I'm going for something different and longer so it's out of a barbers comfort zone.

You can see my hair in my avatar, I'm lucky I got out of there with the length I have now. The guy was about to go shorter. All I wanted was a taper on the sides and the back...

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I think it depends on what exactly you're trying to do. I'm going for something different and longer so it's out of a barbers comfort zone.

Yep, they told me this. They do not like when men ask for longer styles, and its understandable, since that is more of a salon oriented thing anyway.

Boken

Banned
Calling Alucrid and raw-denim gaf.

Finally jumped into the fray with a Naked and Famous pair - boy they are long. I've cuffed them 3 times and the cuff looks really tall - how big should cuffs be? Also, how do i look after them? Do I lay them flat when I'm not wearing them?

Other notes: Uniqlo shirts have shorter sleeves than average.

Boogie9IGN

IconicClassicRacerJacketBroseA.jpg

Just got my brose Members Only jacket in the mail yesterday, been waiting moooonths for it <3 I now have this, a bronze/rust color and white :D

Anyone know of any good places to buy more MO jackets? Dr. Jays has almost nothing but large and up, I got all the colors I wanted from Amazon, eBay has all the old ones, JackThreads is great but they're sold out, Target doesn't have much and the official site is all MSRP ):

I'm especially looking for this one:
6077763.jpg

Pu Vintage Racer in the same color. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions!

Antagon

Finally jumped into the fray with a Naked and Famous pair - boy they are long. I've cuffed them 3 times and the cuff looks really tall - how big should cuffs be? Also, how do i look after them? Do I lay them flat when I'm not wearing them?

They're not shink to fit, right? If so, just get them hemmed at the length that you like. I haven't gotten any experience with Naked and Famous, but quite a few higher end brands sell jeans in one length so you can hem them to the length you want.

You can see my hair in my avatar, I'm lucky I got out of there with the length I have now. The guy was about to go shorter. All I wanted was a taper on the sides and the back...

I have the hardest time trying to pick a style. I think Ill have to pay out this week for someone to do a good job as my last barber visit was shit. Left way to much ontop and now I have a fringe than goes down to the middle of my nose!

I also dont like keeping it the same style for more than like 6months as I get bored, I want to be able to just say do whatever you think would suit me and see what happens as short of shaving it all down to a 1-2 all over Im pretty open minded.

Some good sites for checking out various styles wouldnt go a miss but apparently thats the one thing the internet does really badly!

Alucrid

Banned

Well I don't really like big cuffs myself. 1-1.5 inches is my limit and if I find they're too big and not skinny enough to stack well I'll just get them hemmed. As for looking after them I usually throw mine over a chair or just on my floor somewhere. :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Didn't end up finding Sperrys yesterday. Did get about 5 different colored plain tees from the Gap outlet. $8 a piece, and they look nice with khaki/colored shorts.

Now to find some shoes to wear with.

I have the hardest time trying to pick a style. I think Ill have to pay out this week for someone to do a good job as my last barber visit was shit. Left way to much ontop and now I have a fringe than goes down to the middle of my nose!

I also dont like keeping it the same style for more than like 6months as I get bored, I want to be able to just say do whatever you think would suit me and see what happens as short of shaving it all down to a 1-2 all over Im pretty open minded.

Some good sites for checking out various styles wouldnt go a miss but apparently thats the one thing the internet does really badly!

I follow this guys tumblr and he's got some great styles on here.

http://killfrisyrer.tumblr.com/

Which cut/model did you get? The length will vary depending on which. My Indigo Weird Guys for instance are MUCH longer than my Red Cores.

I agree with Alucrid about 1-1.5in being about how much you should cuff them ideally, though I'd be lying if I said I haven't gone over that with a few of my jeans.

I follow this guys tumblr and he's got some great styles on here.

http://killfrisyrer.tumblr.com/
Some really cool styles on that page. I just got my hair cut last week (which I'm quite fond of), but I'm thinking about growing it out so I may bookmark that page for future use.

Boken

Banned
Which cut/model did you get? The length will vary depending on which. My Indigo Weird Guys for instance are MUCH longer than my Red Cores.

I agree with Alucrid about 1-1.5in being about how much you should cuff them ideally, though I'd be lying if I said I haven't gone over that with a few of my jeans.

I got the Dirty Fade Skinny Guy.

I'm also too lazy to get my jeans hemmed.

Violater

I would love female gaf to weigh in on this thread from time to time, bc something must be wrong with me. I find a lot of the stuff you guys like just weird.
/oldmanranting

bob page

I would love female gaf to weigh in on this thread from time to time, bc something must be wrong with me. I find a lot of the stuff you guys like just weird.
/oldmanranting
Are you assuming all of us are single and forever alone? Why would I need anyone else's opinion when my girlfriend thinks it looks good too?

Alucrid

Banned
So, i've got a job interview (salesman at a consumer electronics retailer) coming up in three weeks : but i don't know what to wear. I don't own any "fancy" shoes - i'm a sneakers typ o' dude. I'm thinking of wearing these shoes : http://images4.brandos.nl/nl/8/83630/83630-g.jpg, some grey jeans and a maybe (?) a black shirt. Thoughts?

khakis and a button up shirt. i mean, isn't that what most employees wear at best buys and what not?

Violater

Examples of weird?

Such as...

Ok im in my early 30's so there is a great chance I am just out of touch./disclaimer so plz dont kill me.
I pass through here from time to time I will see something that gives me some ideas.

So let me just throw something out there, close fitting pants with the cuff.
Boat shoes.
Expensive tight ass jeans on a dude. Cmon son.
Casually worn Jackets Blazers (I saw a dude at the farmers market saturday morning in the blazing damn hear wearing on with shorts on) Ok this one might just have been a single incident.

Are you assuming all of us are single and forever alone? Why would I need anyone else's opinion when my girlfriend thinks it looks good too?
Don't start that......Not trying to attack anyone, or make things personal man, just trying to get an understanding.
I know some women for example dress up with things that only another woman would get, is it the same way for some of you guys.

I am more than willing to be schooled by FashionGaf

Alucrid

Banned
Ok im in my early 30's so there is a great chance I am just out of touch./disclaimer so plz dont kill me.
I pass through here from time to time I will see something that gives me some ideas.

Boat shoes.
Casually worn Jackets Blazers (I saw a dude at the farmers market saturday morning in the blazing damn hear wearing on with shorts on) Ok this one might just have been a single incident.

Uh...my dad has been wearing boat shoes for years.

bob page

Boat shoes.
Before the 70s (especially 20-50s), people used to wear blazers/suits and such whenever they went out and actually had self respect. One can argue that people stopped giving a crap at that point and stopped wearing things that actually fit properly. Right now, things are returning to how they used to be: If you have a slim figure, wear slim pants, and so on (I do agree that overweight guys who wear slim jeans as a statement look pretty ridiculous).

Boken

Banned
Don't start that......Not trying to attack anyone, or make things personal man, just trying to get an understanding.
I know some women for example dress up with things that only another woman would get, is it the same way for some of you guys.

Well you basically said that only a female's opinion would be valid so yeah...

Fitted pants are the shit though so I dunno what's up.
Sometimes I like to show a little ankle to freak old men out.

LOL see what I mean?

Boat shoes.
There's a large difference between jeans that are too tight and jeans that just flat out fit well. Most people tend to get these two confused.

For what it's worth, most guys in this thread seem to wear jeans that fit them. I've seen very few examples of guys wearing jeans that are too tight.

Violater

Well you basically said that only a female's opinion would be valid so yeah...

Fitted pants are the shit though so I dunno what's up.

See this kinda response just serves to start an arguement, pretty sure I tried clarify my statement.

There's a large difference between jeans that are too tight and jeans that just flat out fit well. Most people tend to get these two confused.

For what it's worth, most guys in this thread seem to wear jeans that fit them. I've seen very few examples of guys wearing jeans that are too tight.

Flattering fit, I am ok with this.

LOL see what I mean?

What do you guys think of this fit?

mensskinnyjeans-352x463.jpg

Boat shoes.
None of this is particularly weird, tho blazer + shorts is goofy to me in the sense of incongruity.. I wore a cotton suit in Vegas a couple of weeks ago tho, while all my friends were in tees and shorts. Heat be damned.

Dem jeans are too tapered, need to cover the shoes at least a bit bro

Boken

Banned
That guy's legs look like mine. So basically, they're too skinny to wear skinny jeans (even though I own a pair haha). Also, jeans fitting has moved away from skinny to slim in the past months.

Alucrid

Banned

Boat shoes.

That seems to be more of a 'people who enjoy fashion will recognize what people who also enjoy fashion are wearing' thing.

MiDNiGHTS, those jeans are just a little too slim in the legs for my taste. I don't like how you can clearly see the contour of the model's calves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom