• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took some of my suits to get dry-cleaned for my first time, and the lady asked if I wanted starch or not. I decided against starch, but what do you guys normally do? Starch or no starch? Also, does anyone have any tips for taking care of suits so they don't have to be dry-cleaned as often?

Starch on a suit or the shirts? I've never heard of starching a suit... Either way I would not.
Jake. said:
keep in mind, most TOJ shit is cut slim (ESPECIALLY the new varsity that winq is wearing), and to an extent is aimed at skinnier/shorter du's. if you are overweight or 6'5 shit isn't gonna work out for you - drew has even said this himself.
way to put us all on blast lol

Alucrid

Banned
Jake. said:
keep in mind, most TOJ shit is cut slim (ESPECIALLY the new varsity that winq is wearing), and to an extent is aimed at skinnier/shorter du's. if you are overweight or 6'5 shit isn't gonna work out for you - drew has even said this himself.

I'm like 5'7", 130lbs. I should be good.

macuser1of5 said:
Starch on a suit or the shirts? I've never heard of starching a suit... Either way I would not.
I'm not really sure... the lady didn't speak English too well, so I couldn't really tell which she was asking about...

duk

Banned
picked up this bad boy today:

GA110C-7A.jpg

GorillaJu

Jake. said:

That's winq? Either his hair makes him look like an entirely different person, or he got some unnecessary plastic surgery.

soultron

Banned
I'll never really be able to understand the white belt/watch/(sun)glasses deal. Just doesn't work for me, personally. All black or bust.

Jake.

odd_morsel said:
That's winq? Either his hair makes him look like an entirely different person, or he got some unnecessary plastic surgery.

yeah, its him. i've been on sufu since '07 and from memory he's always looked like that - just has shorter hair now (i think).

edit: you might be thinking of user 'still', people got the two mixed up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ugh, I can't seem to get button up shirts to work for me in the way I want.

Bought a slim fit one to try for work today and It looked alright, but I want one that you tuck all the way in without doing the "pull a bit of the shirt back out" thing. I see people on TV, etc wearing slim fits with a tie with the shirt tucked all the way in.

Issue seems to be that I'll tuck it all the way in, but as soon as I return to a relaxed pose the back of the shirt bunches up and is all puffy.

That whole thing probably sounds stupid, basically what I am looking for is this:

taylor-lautner-fitted-shirts-banana-republic-300x378.jpg

Notice how there is no extra shirt material untucked. How do you get the back like that?

They pin the clothes to make them super-fitted. You wouldn't want a shirt that tight, you would not be able to move. If your shirts are coming out it's probably because the rise of your pants is too low, are you wearing jeans/pants at your hips?

Just want to complain somewhere as I have some brown boots I love and nows the perfect time to wear them.
Except I packed them away when moving house a month ago and christ knows where they are burried in a 40ft containter full of boxes... so annoyed!!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
macuser1of5 said:
They pin the clothes to make them super-fitted. You wouldn't want a shirt that tight, you would not be able to move. If your shirts are coming out it's probably because the rise of your pants is too low, are you wearing jeans/pants at your hips?

Nah, wearing black Tommy dress pants. The shirt I have is slim, but it is a bit looser so maybe that's an issue.

The thing is, it's hard to explain, but when i'm tucking in my shirt in the back you are reaching behind you to get it tucked in, so as soon as you get it in and then relax your shoulders its almost like you didn't get it tucked in down far enough.

That make sense? I don't know that it's my belt, but more that the shirt is tight when im reaching back to tuck it, but when i relax it becomes looser and a bit of fabric bunches up.

Could be the shirt though, I just grabbed a slim fit button up from JC Penny, J Ferrar is the brand.

It sounds like your pants might be the problem (low rise or kind of loose), that happened to me when I would wear jeans with dress shirts. Post some pics when you have some spare time and we can probably figure it out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
macuser1of5 said:
It sounds like your pants might be the problem (low rise or kind of loose), that happened to me when I would wear jeans with dress shirts. Post some pics when you have some spare time and we can probably figure it out.

Could be, to be honest this is the first job I have had that required the full dress gear. Out of college I worked for a software company, so we could wear whatever, so I am still trying to get the hang of the whole dress clothes every day look, all while maintaining a budget which doesn't have a ton of room for high end clothes.

My pants are a bit loose, but I wear them a bit loose for comfort. I have mainly been a polo and dress pants guy since I started in April, but it's getting colder now so I may just need to go shopping.

I pull of polos and dress pants decently well though! :p

bob page

Deadly Cyclone said:
Nah, wearing black Tommy dress pants. The shirt I have is slim, but it is a bit looser so maybe that's an issue.

The thing is, it's hard to explain, but when i'm tucking in my shirt in the back you are reaching behind you to get it tucked in, so as soon as you get it in and then relax your shoulders its almost like you didn't get it tucked in down far enough.

That make sense? I don't know that it's my belt, but more that the shirt is tight when im reaching back to tuck it, but when i relax it becomes looser and a bit of fabric bunches up.

Could be the shirt though, I just grabbed a slim fit button up from JC Penny, J Ferrar is the brand.
I've found that even slim fit shirts from department stores aren't truly "slim fit." Since many Americans are getting fatter, slim shirts are also getting bigger.

A 15.5, 33/34 slim fit (my usual size) is far bigger in the typical dept. store brand (Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, etc) than a Zara/Uniqlo/etc fit, especially in the arms and back area.

I'm trying to find out the best way in wearing v-necks. Not the douchebag v-neck of course, the REAL v-neck.

I have bought a couple of Hanes undershirts for my button ups I wear to work and it looks nice. However the new ones I've bought have patterns on them like thin to thick stripes. Do you ONLY wear that one shirt in this case? I have wearing just one shirt, I normally always have an undershirt under everything I wear.

bob page

Square Triangle said:
I'm trying to find out the best way in wearing v-necks. Not the douchebag v-neck of course, the REAL v-neck.

I have bought a couple of Hanes undershirts for my button ups I wear to work and it looks nice. However the new ones I've bought have patterns on them like thin to thick stripes. Do you ONLY wear that one shirt in this case? I have wearing just one shirt, I normally always have an undershirt under everything I wear.
Don't wear anything under the vneck. That's a socks & sandals type thing.

dmshaposv

Hey manshioners, how do you deal with back-of-heel rape by boat shoes? I'm so used to wearing sneakers/boots/shoes with socks that wearing these without socks really sucks.

Grifter

Any other suggestions for a brown winter leather jacket that I can find in a shop? I don't trust my measuring either. Under $1000, or under $500 would be great if that exists.

S. L.

Deadly Cyclone said:

Bought a slim fit one to try for work today and It looked alright, but I want one that you tuck all the way in without doing the "pull a bit of the shirt back out" thing. I see people on TV, etc wearing slim fits with a tie with the shirt tucked all the way in.

Issue seems to be that I'll tuck it all the way in, but as soon as I return to a relaxed pose the back of the shirt bunches up and is all puffy.

That whole thing probably sounds stupid, basically what I am looking for is this:

Notice how there is no extra shirt material untucked. How do you get the back like that?
you can get tailored shirts for pretty cheap nowadays...
certainly not more expensive than a decent slim fit shirt

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Jake. said:

5'6'' 120lbs i'm set - def gonna cop a maroon one. not sure on lining yet.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
past few days. excuse my trashy room.

j.crew / APC / common projects

1217gk6.jpg

jsyrv4.jpg

Plaid shirt is from UNIS, might be my new favorite designer. need to get it shortened, otherwise it's great. any gaffers in nyc should def check it out.

2unyiw6.jpg

Deadly Cyclone said:

I have a skinny build, 5'6 130lbs, and I found most off the rack so-called "slim fit" shirts weren't meant to come like that on slim people. I did a little research.

First off
-Why you should get your shirts tailored

-Calvin Klein, Alfani RED, Van Heusen

-Kenneth Cole, Geoffrey Beene, Murano

-Nordstrom Smartcare, Calibrate, Merona by Target (Note: Calibrate now has a "slim fit" shirt which is slimmer than the "trim fit" reviewed)

-Express 1MX

-Ratio

Then theres the made-to-measure options like Modern Tailor (First sample shirt is $20)

I think dappered.com is a great site btw

charsace

Deadly Cyclone said:

You could bring your shirts to a tailor?

duk

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

it's called altering ur dress shirts man, every dress shirt i have is altered to have a customized slim fit, otherwise there's way too much around the waist, ribs, arms. im a size 30 waist only.

Stuck

Ermac said:
Plaid shirt is from UNIS, might be my new favorite designer. need to get it shortened, otherwise it's great. any gaffers in nyc should def check it out.

How do the UNIS button downs fit compared to Gitman Vintage or Wolf vs. Goat, generally speaking? I need something slim, but don't see any measurements on the website.

AVclub

What's fashion-GAF's view on necklaces for men? I don't want to wear anything expensive, just decorative. It seems to me that, if I've got a shirt with a collar and the first few buttons are open, something should be there. I'm just not sure what.

I'm not religious so I don't think a cross would work, but I was thinking some sort of pendant. What do you guys think? Does anyone have a good source for buying men's necklaces? I've even considered going to a crafting store, picking up some DIY jewelry stuff and making something myself. Would that be really hippy-ish? or surfer-ish? I don't consider myself either one.

AVclub said:
What's fashion-GAF's view on necklaces for men? I don't want to wear anything expensive, just decorative. It seems to me that, if I've got a shirt with a collar and the first few buttons are open, something should be there. I'm just not sure what.

I'm not religious so I don't think a cross would work, but I was thinking some sort of pendant. What do you guys think? Does anyone have a good source for buying men's necklaces? I've even considered going to a crafting store, picking up some DIY jewelry stuff and making something myself. Would that be really hippy-ish? or surfer-ish? I don't consider myself either one.
It isn't something I do but I think it could look cool. Maybe stick to simple brown/black leather string/strands and monochrome stones or metals, depending on your taste/style? Just avoid shark teeth and :p

bob page

AVclub said:

I just wear dog tags (from the gf).

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Stuck said:
How do the UNIS button downs fit compared to Gitman Vintage or Wolf vs. Goat, generally speaking? I need something slim, but don't see any measurements on the website.

I haven't worn either unfortunately, even though I live in DC heh.

I got a small in the Unis because that's all they had. I usually wear XS in most brands, so the Unis is a little bit looser, but I love the fit. It's not super baggy, but it's slim and hangs off my frame a bit. I got it on sale for ~145 (down from 220)

r1chard

inspectah derek said:
Then theres the made-to-measure options like Modern Tailor (First sample shirt is $20)
Wow, thanks for that link! I'm a latecomer to figuring out this fashion stuff and don't particularly enjoy shopping for shirts and prefer epaulettes which makes it even more challenging. And then there's getting the fit right (I'm currently carrying a little more weight than I - and the manufacturers of off-the-rack shirts - would prefer).

Definitely going to give that site a go this weekend.

Stuck

Ermac said:
I haven't worn either unfortunately, even though I live in DC heh.

I got a small in the Unis because that's all they had. I usually wear XS in most brands, so the Unis is a little bit looser, but I love the fit. It's not super baggy, but it's slim and hangs off my frame a bit. I got it on sale for ~145 (down from 220)

Nice, thanks for the description. I've heard good things about the label and I've been meaning to check it out.

GorillaJu

Jake. said:
yeah, its him. i've been on sufu since '07 and from memory he's always looked like that - just has shorter hair now (i think).

edit: you might be thinking of user 'still', people got the two mixed up.
Definitely not the case. I've been on Sufu since '04 and I've spent many a night out drinking with both Drew and Winq. If that is him, he looks like a very different person.

AVclub said:

My bf wears one that has his chinese zodiac year (boar).

image_345.jpg

I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom