• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some Levis 510's last night,I planned on getting 511's but I was in the Levis Factory outlet and god it was a mission.
So many freakish sizes like 30W-34L and so on. I settled on 33w-32L after about an hour of hunting and trying on five or six pairs.

pLEVI1-6054742t330x400.jpg

I seemed to have aquired this annoying thing where I hate how the jeans bunch up around the ankles, like those APCs posted above looked nice till the middle pic where there is like 3inch of matterial in a pile at the ankle. Drives me nuts for some reason!

image2xl.jpg

God knows how they get them like that, some kind of magic voodoo or something..

Oh and I also hate how I think £50 is a bargain (down from £90) and you guys can pay something silly like $44! :(

dmshaposv

dmshaposv said:
Hey manshioners, how do you deal with back-of-heel rape by boat shoes? I'm so used to wearing sneakers/boots/shoes with socks that wearing these without socks really sucks.

anyone?

CFMOORE!

Johnlenham said:
Picked up some Levis 510's last night,I planned on getting 511's but I was in the Levis Factory outlet and god it was a mission.
So many freakish sizes like 30W-34L and so on. I settled on 33w-32L after about an hour of hunting and trying on five or six pairs.

I seemed to have aquired this annoying thing where I hate how the jeans bunch up around the ankles, like those APCs posted above looked nice till the middle pic where there is like 3inch of matterial in a pile at the ankle. Drives me nuts for some reason!

God knows how they get them like that, some kind of magic voodoo or something..

Oh and I also hate how I think £50 is a bargain (down from £90) and you guys can pay something silly like $44! :(

I hate the excess bunching too, to me it's a sign of poor fit. as others have said, learn to hem yourself or find a tailor who does it for like $5-$10 a pair. As it stands, I have a couple pairs of jeans I need to chop about two inches off of in order for me to be satisfied with their length.

Picked up the suits from the dry cleaning I was mentioning earlier... Holy shit, dry cleaning is expensive. I'll have to take better care of my suits so I don't have to take them there as often. Any tips?

bob page

cooljeanius said:
Picked up the suits from the dry cleaning I was mentioning earlier... Holy shit, dry cleaning is expensive. I'll have to take better care of my suits so I don't have to take them there as often. Any tips?
How much did you pay? The most I've ever paid was $25 for a jacket/slacks/tie combo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
duk said:
it's called altering ur dress shirts man, every dress shirt i have is altered to have a customized slim fit, otherwise there's way too much around the waist, ribs, arms. im a size 30 waist only.

Hmm. I found another example. If anyone watches Parks and Rec, Ben on there always has the awesome slim shirts and ties. That's what I want.

Never gotten anything custom tailored though. May try to get out of department stores and find some other stores to buy shirts from though. Any store suggestions for dress shirts that fit well, but aren't way too pricey?

Doytch

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm. I found another example. If anyone watches Parks and Rec, Ben on there always has the awesome slim shirts and ties. That's what I want.

Never gotten anything custom tailored though. May try to get out of department stores and find some other stores to buy shirts from though. Any store suggestions for dress shirts that fit well, but aren't way too pricey?
Dude just take whatever shirt you like and already have to the tailor. It'll cost $10-$20 depending on what all you want to do and where you live, but it's better than buying more shirts that aren't gonna fit as well anyway.

Deadly Cyclone said:
This shirt bugs me because it's clearly too small for him. Just look at the sleeves, and the way the shirt folds in lines pointing towards the buttons. It's just too god-damn small. If you asked him to get something off the top shelf of the cabinet his sleeves would rip and his buttons would pop off.

Too-skinny sleeves and sleeve-holes (whatever they're called) are basically retarded. I have a couple of shirts from H&M that fit great, but the sleeves are too slim. How slim are they? I can feel them stretching and straining when I do such strenuous activies like "Turning the steering wheel in my car" and "washing my hands in the sink."

Anyway, even the most slimmiest of slimmy slim fits will bunch up a little around the waist once you start moving around.

Edit: Forgot to ask my own question. I need to pick up a couple of pairs of dress pants over the weekend. Any suggestions for finding a slim fit? Most places are just too damn hit and miss fit-wise to just go out and buy something off the rack.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doytch said:
Dude just take whatever shirt you like and already have to the tailor. It'll cost $10-$20 depending on what all you want to do and where you live, but it's better than buying more shirts that aren't gonna fit as well anyway.

Might have to. Wonder if I have a tailor around my area... It's a college town, so you'd think so.

Dave Inc. said:
Your closet would end up looking like Bruce Banner's.
Yeah, these adverts/photoshoots are absurd with this kind of shit. A shirt that small is not functional in the least, unless it's half spandex. But then you have some other problems :p

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Dave Inc. said:
This shirt bugs me because it's clearly too small for him. Just look at the sleeves, and the way the shirt folds in lines pointing towards the buttons. It's just too god-damn small. If you asked him to get something off the top shelf of the cabinet his sleeves would rip and his buttons would pop off.

Too-skinny sleeves and sleeve-holes (whatever they're called) are basically retarded. I have a couple of shirts from H&M that fit great, but the sleeves are too slim. How slim are they? I can feel them stretching and straining when I do such strenuous activies like "Turning the steering wheel in my car" and "washing my hands in the sink."

Anyway, even the most slimmiest of slimmy slim fits will bunch up a little around the waist once you start moving around.

Edit: Forgot to ask my own question. I need to pick up a couple of pairs of dress pants over the weekend. Any suggestions for finding a slim fit? Most places are just too damn hit and miss fit-wise to just go out and buy something off the rack.

Epaulet

marc by marc jacobs fit well, but I prefer the mainline shit. should be available at bloomingdales/macys/etc. most of the 'old man' labels try slim fit but fail miserably. no idea how much you're willing to drop though.

Dave Inc. said:
Your closet would end up looking like Bruce Banner's.

It depends on the occasion, if you're trying to be practical, for work etc, you where something a bit looser. If it's a party or somewhere you want to look particularly nice wear something less practical but looking nicer, which I think a slightly smaller shirt achieves.

Zilch

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
I'm not buying $200 pants that I can't try on before I buy them.

people should be stating their location when asking for advice. Epaulet was going to be my answer too.

Yeah, I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Ultimately I'm stuck with chain stores and the like.

Besides, looking more on the <$100 end, these are just clothes for the office and I'm already the best dressed person here (I work with a bunch of engineers).

Maleficence said:
It depends on the occasion, if you're trying to be practical, for work etc, you where something a bit looser. If it's a party or somewhere you want to look particularly nice wear something less practical but looking nicer, which I think a slightly smaller shirt achieves.
what looks nicer about a shirt that will ride up on your waist and sleeves every time you move? srsly, shirts fitting like this look good in photos but don't cut it in the real world.

I currently wear a Large size shirt, but they feel loose on me, approximately- 42-44 in Chest & 33-34 inch Waist.

Whats the "rule" on hoodies? Should I just go with a large, medium? The hoddies I am looking at are 42-44 Chest, 35-37 Waist, Should I downsize my shirts and get a large hoodie?

CFMOORE!

^ i would try a size smaller, you might end up with a better fit. it took me several years to realize that XS is my preferred sizing in pretty much everything off the rack.

Doytch

macuser1of5 said:
what looks nicer about a shirt that will ride up on your waist and sleeves every time you move? srsly, shirts fitting like this look good in photos but don't cut it in the real world.
Tighten your belt one notch and it probably won't ride up your waist. This can look like shit depending on how much bodyfat you have, in that you'll get a puckered look. If you're built like that dude, you can rock it though.

Doytch said:
Tighten your belt one notch and it probably won't ride up your waist. This can look like shit depending on how much bodyfat you have, in that you'll get a puckered look. If you're built like that dude, you can rock it though.
I'm telling you, I've tried that look when I was younger... It doesnt work. The shirt needs some give to allow movement.

Ketchup Boy

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ugh, I can't seem to get button up shirts to work for me in the way I want.

Bought a slim fit one to try for work today and It looked alright, but I want one that you tuck all the way in without doing the "pull a bit of the shirt back out" thing. I see people on TV, etc wearing slim fits with a tie with the shirt tucked all the way in.

Issue seems to be that I'll tuck it all the way in, but as soon as I return to a relaxed pose the back of the shirt bunches up and is all puffy.

That whole thing probably sounds stupid, basically what I am looking for is this:

taylor-lautner-fitted-shirts-banana-republic-300x378.jpg

Notice how there is no extra shirt material untucked. How do you get the back like that?

Would it be bad to dress like this even when you're in school? I'm stuck here for two more years, but I want to start dressing professional already!!! I'm 23 for petes sakes I want to start looking grown!

Stuck

Dave Inc. said:

They have a pretty forgiving return policy. The only thing you stand to lose is the price of shipping them back if you don't like the fit.

Doytch

Stuck said:
They have a pretty forgiving return policy. The only thing you stand to lose is the price of shipping them back if you don't like the fit.
Soft. I generally don't bother with companies that don't pay return shipping. Yesterday I emailed Bonobos after getting pen ink on my month-old pants asking if they had any ideas on removal, and they told me to return it for a refund/store credit. Just printed the (prepaid!) return label. I am totally a shill for them now.

Alucrid

Banned
Dave Inc. said:

They give all the measurements...

I have yet to return any clothing I've bought online so long as the site supplied an adequate amount of measurement information.

dmshaposv said:
You got them too big, bro. They'll tear up your feet for the first week, but topsiders should be really snug on your feet. In fact, it's common for people to get two sizes smaller in Sperry topsiders, due to how tight they need to be (it's the looseness/room in the shoe that allows for that scraping).

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Dave Inc. said:
Yeah, I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Ultimately I'm stuck with chain stores and the like.

Besides, looking more on the <$100 end, these are just clothes for the office and I'm already the best dressed person here (I work with a bunch of engineers).
Not sure if you're West side or not, but there's an Express and an H&M in Westlake.

Stuck

Doytch said:
Soft. I generally don't bother with companies that don't pay return shipping. Yesterday I emailed Bonobos after getting pen ink on my month-old pants asking if they had any ideas on removal, and they told me to return it for a refund/store credit. Just printed the (prepaid!) return label. I am totally a shill for them now.

Given the quality of Epaulet, you're really missing out if the hangup is just prepaid return labels. I have no problem supporting those guys and they've done me right on all of my orders. And as it has been already said, they give good measurements, so it's pretty hard to screw up.

Alucrid

Banned
Stuck said:
Given the quality of Epaulet, you're really missing out if the hangup is just prepaid return labels. I have no problem supporting those guys and they've done me right on all of my orders. And as it has been already said, they give good measurements, so it's pretty hard to screw up.

I agree. Why the hell aren't

epauletshop.com
apolisglobal.com
contextclothing.com
wolfvsgoat.com
blueingreensoho.com
selfedge.com
nau.com

all in the OP?

I mean, there's aldo's shoes for christsake.

Stuck

Alucrid said:

epauletshop.com
apolisglobal.com
contextclothing.com
wolfvsgoat.com
blueingreensoho.com
selfedge.com
nau.com

all in the OP?

Seconded. I also enjoy these shops:

needsupply.com
lyonstate.com
tresbienshop.net
woodlandsshop.com

If they are added we should divide them into general, rough sections (price/type of stock) for newbs and etc.

openingceremony is a must too; their house label makes some good, if occasionally hipster/trendy, merchandise.

BlueWord

Stuck said:
Seconded. I also enjoy these shops:

needsupply.com
lyonstate.com
tresbienshop.net
woodlandsshop.com

contextclothing.com
unionmadegoods.com
shopacrimony.com
parkandbond.com

Those should be added, too.

Alucrid

Banned
dirty slanted mirror shot baby

c47Ual.jpg

RJNavarrete said:
If someone can cook me up some quick reviews/overviews of those sites and the price ranges, I'll gladly add them in.

I tried.

Alucrid said:

epauletshop.com
-Best for Men's Clothing (Trousers / Woven Shirts) and outerwear.
-Look to spend $100-200 per item.
apolisglobal.com
-Great t-shirts, outerwear, and accessories.
-Ranges from 48 t shirts (3 for 99) up to ~300-400 for jackets.
contextclothing.com
-Pretty pricey, but has nice shirts, jackets and denim. Sells APC and has a pretty good stock of them as well as KMW, Nudie, etc. Carries special Alden shoes, Canada Goose, Band of Outsiders, Wings + Horns, etc.
-Expect to spend a lot.
wolfvsgoat.com
-Great collared shirts and knits.
-120-150 for shirts, they're very nice though. Great colors and patterns.
blueingreensoho.com
selfedge.com
-Denim, denim, denim. Between these two you can definitely find whatever you're looking for.
-At least ~200+.
nau.com
-Nice outerwear, good for waterproof/windproof urbany apparel. (Not a combination of Urban Outfitters / American Apparel)
-Made from recycled materials and stuffs...you know.
-Somewhat pricey, probably ~200-250 for basic jackets, then goes on up from there.

all in the OP?

I mean, there's aldo's shoes for christsake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom