• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Saw this jacket in the store and fell in love with it instantly. I got to have this. What's Manshion-GAF's opinion?

20_hbeu50227994_010_10
It would look a lot better without the epaulets. Even then, it still looks kind of boxy.

NYC Gaf here - I have professional interviews coming up in a few months and wanted to invest in 2 suits - any recommendations for the best places to check out? I was thinking Suitsupply but wasn't sure if their suits were a little too slick - would they work out well for a job interview? Otherwise I was thinking Brooks Brothers (I'm aware I missed their sale :( )

J Crew Men's, Zara, Topman, Banana Republic, Club Monaco. It also may be worth checking out the Nordstrom Rack in Union Square, but their sizes are usually picked over.

This Superdry jacket at ASOS is dope.

N5kre.jpg

I'm amazed that ordering it from the UK and having it shipped to the US is cheaper than ordering it from a US retailer. A $40 difference.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Just because something is Hugo Boss does not necessarily mean it's great. I think it could look nice so long as you don't wear a bulky sweater underneath it like the model in the picture. I think you could probably get away with wearing a simple black or gray stretch V-neck from H&M under it and look really cool.

Also, in addition to the terrible sweater, what the heck is up with those pants? Are they purposely trying to make the guy look bad?

I agree on his style, it's horrible. I wasn't looking for a Hugo Boss jacket; I was out with some friends and tried on cloths and I found this and fell in love. It's really warm so it's meant as a late autumn, early winter jacket so I'm not going to buy it for another month or so. I'm about 1 size smaller at the waist than the shoulders so I'm afraid I'll have to wear this with a bulky sweater underneath.

I agree on his style, it's horrible. I wasn't looking for a Hugo Boss jacket; I was out with some friends and tried on cloths and I found this and fell in love. It's really warm so it's meant as a late autumn, early winter jacket so I'm not going to buy it for another month or so. I'm about 1 size smaller at the waist than the shoulders so I'm afraid I'll have to wear this with a bulky sweater underneath.

Brixton Ruger makes a jacket like that but better looking in my opinion in olive green.

Why not get a peacoat then?

pea_coat_2.jpg

Antagon

NYC Gaf here - I have professional interviews coming up in a few months and wanted to invest in 2 suits - any recommendations for the best places to check out? I was thinking Suitsupply but wasn't sure if their suits were a little too slick - would they work out well for a job interview? Otherwise I was thinking Brooks Brothers (I'm aware I missed their sale :( )

Check suit supply. Nothing wrong with a modern cut, and they tend to have a really good quality/price ratio. The wools are always at least decent and even the cheapest suits are half canvassed.

Plus, they've got more conservative cuts as well.

p3387_1.jpg

Something like this should be fine for a job interview, don't you think?

Edit: one thing I should note is that the suits are quite a bit more expensive in the US then here in the Netherlands, cheapest line here is 300 Euros, did a quick check and it seems to translate to 469$. But even then, they should be up there In quality even at that price.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why not get a peacoat then?

pea_coat_2.jpg

I already have one, that's simple enough. It's got a few years on it but it's served me well. Have to re-sew some of the buttons before I use it. No I've decided, I'm in love with the jacket. The fit was just too perfect. Since I can't stand logos I need to get the metal Boss Orange-logo taken off before I'm seen in public with it.

N5kre.jpg

I'm amazed that ordering it from the UK and having it shipped to the US is cheaper than ordering it from a US retailer. A $40 difference.

Looks like a Superdry jacket. Good looking jackets, but they plaster their god awful logo on everything. Gawdy as hell.

bro1

Banned
Just went to Brokes Brothers and picked up two new suits. Since they needed tailoring, I brought in all my other sport coats and dress shirts and had everything fitted. Cost quite a bit but it all looks great. Just can't gain any weight now.

I don't get MFA hate.

I dont either. Its mostly their to get people to stop wearing graphic tees. So they go very conservative, since its easy to learn as people build their adult style. Also suits are always awesome.

admittedly i haven't gone on there in a long time so it may have improved but when i did it would be people in terrible outfits or awful fits but no one would say so (probably due to the voting system they have there)

on topic, i got two slim fit white shirts for work and the cardholder i linked earlier, i did reconsider the cdg one alucrid posted but went with the mcqueen one in the end

Alucrid

Banned
Check suit supply. Nothing wrong with a modern cut, and they tend to have a really good quality/price ratio. The wools are always at least decent and even the cheapest suits are half canvassed.

Plus, they've got more conservative cuts as well.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaib_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-INT-Site/Sites-master-catalog/nl/v1346684953729/products/Suits/zoom/p3387_1.jpg[img]

Something like this should be fine for a job interview, don't you think?

Edit: one thing I should note is that the suits are quite a bit more expensive in the US then here in the Netherlands, cheapest line here is 300 Euros, did a quick check and it seems to translate to 469$. But even then, they should be up there In quality even at that price.[/QUOTE]

You edited your post but not the huge image?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1zJ0A.jpg

Wont you have to pay an import fee? Its anything over $20 value coming into the uk from america so I presume its the same but reversed?

Eric Hall

Anyone have some examples of good jackets/coats for the fall? I already have a good winter jacket, but I would prefer not to have to rely on hoodies for the fall.

Rookje

Just went to Brokes Brothers and picked up two new suits. Since they needed tailoring, I brought in all my other sport coats and dress shirts and had everything fitted. Cost quite a bit but it all looks great. Just can't gain any weight now.

Pics!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

N5kre.jpg

i love superdry clothes. i really wish i could fit into them. maybe next year after i lose a few hundred pounds i would go to their new york store.

overcast

Where can I get a decent, (under 100 dollar) peacoat that works well casually?

For you guys in California, what do you have for this winter? Just curious.

Wont you have to pay an import fee? Its anything over $20 value coming into the uk from america so I presume its the same but reversed?

I was reading the site and apparently ASOS will pay the fee. If by chance you do end up paying an import fee, ASOS says they'll refund it.

i love superdry clothes. i really wish i could fit into them. maybe next year after i lose a few hundred pounds i would go to their new york store.

They have a NY store? I'll have to check it out one of these days. I'd much rather try that jacket on in a store than wait for it to get to me and possibly have to return it.

Antagon

Thinking about picking up a duffle coat. Really like this:

s_1_39.jpg

It's 325 pounds though, which is a bit on the expensive side. Any ideas for decent duffle coats that are cheaper (and available in the EU)?

places like zara, topman, river island most likely have simple duffle coats for reasonable prices though i don't know what the quality will be like (i'm personally wary of zara, i have had their shirts literally fall apart before and have sworn off them)

Where can I get a decent, (under 100 dollar) peacoat that works well casually?

For you guys in California, what do you have for this winter? Just curious.
peacoat, couple sweaters, light jackets, hoodies, henleys, and a cardigan

picked up a couple things on labor day, hopefully will be able to take pics soon

Antagon

places like zara, topman, river island most likely have simple duffle coats for reasonable prices though i don't know what the quality will be like (i'm personally wary of zara, i have had their shirts literally fall apart before and have sworn off them)

Just checked, Topman has a decent looking duffle coat, but it's 37% polyester. I'd probably be ok at a price around 200-250 euros, so a step above those brands is ok.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I was reading the site and apparently ASOS will pay the fee. If by chance you do end up paying an import fee, ASOS says they'll refund it.

They have a NY store? I'll have to check it out one of these days. I'd much rather try that jacket on in a store than wait for it to get to me and possibly have to return it.

The super dry NYC store I went to was near pier 17.

Just checked, Topman has a decent looking duffle coat, but it's 37% polyester. I'd probably be ok at a price around 200-250 euros, so a step above those brands is ok.

ben sherman maybe? do you have large department stores near you, like a john lewis, where you can just ask a sales assistant and they'll have a bunch of different brands under one roof?

Antagon

ben sherman maybe? do you have large department stores near you, like a john lewis, where you can just ask a sales assistant and they'll have a bunch of different brands under one roof?

Nearby department stores don't seem to stock duffle coats, sadly. I'm from the Netherlands, not from the UK, so the UK stores you name aren't really known to me.

I can probably try on the coat that I linked in a shop this weekend, but I'm mostly looking for alternatives from brands that should be relatively easily available. Not too fond of buying clothes online.

overcast

Ah okay, I was just checking what you fellow Californias get. I am definitely looking into Henleys, I have a few sweaters, and a leather jacket. I want a Peacoat pretty badly, so I'll look into it more. Looking into combining button ups and jackets/cardigans more this year.

Ah okay, I was just checking what you fellow Californias get. I am definitely looking into Henleys, I have a few sweaters, and a leather jacket. I want a Peacoat pretty badly, so I'll look into it more. Looking into combining button ups and jackets/cardigans more this year.
you can get a good peacoat from the Army/Navy Surplus stores for about $140. that's what I did. Also, J Crew makes a nice henley

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My friend is trying to buy a baseball jacket that looks similar to the TOJ one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheaper one? Need it soon.

overcast

you can get a good peacoat from the Army/Navy Surplus stores for about $140. that's what I did. Also, J Crew makes a nice henley
Damn, 140 is too much. Hate to sound like a cheap bastard, but I was hoping to get one for under 100 dollars. I'm making 8.50 an hour haha.

coldvein

Banned
the first of those two 'dope ass fall' jackets that alucrid posted is indeed dope ass. i want that. but as usual i can't find shit on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom