• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
coldvein, just buy this coat and make all your friends jelly.
tumblr_m9u577Igrg1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
i just paid about $88 for a brooks bros shirt. I probably got ripped off but it is a nice shirt.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So are henley's and jeans the go-to fall look? I assume a pair of Clarks would look good with those items?

I'm looking for a new jacket as well.

So are henley's and jeans the go-to fall look? I assume a pair of Clarks would look good with those items?

Yes, though I like to layer with a flannel shirt (I use it as a light jacket sometimes) over my henley every so often, otherwise I just wear it as is. Clarks will go good of course.

Jacket, any specific type?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes, though I like to layer with a flannel shirt (I use it as a light jacket sometimes) over my henley every so often, otherwise I just wear it as is. Clarks will go good of course.

Jacket, any specific type?

For a jacket I like something not too "loud" if you will. I like something simple, but looks good and isn't too expensive.

bob page

Henleys look great if you're athletic/toned but they can look kind of bad if you need to shed some lbs.

Fall is all about layering, so just do whatever you want as long as the fit is good and colors go well with one another.

And like I've been telling you all along, get some button down shirts. Polos aren't gonna fly for fall/winter.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Henleys look great if you're athletic/toned but they can look kind of bad if you need to shed some lbs.

Fall is all about layering, so just do whatever you want as long as the fit is good and colors go well with one another.

And like I've been telling you all along, get some button down shirts. Polos aren't gonna fly for fall/winter.

Been doing this finally. Got a nice one from the Banana Republic outlet. Looking around for more. I like the ones that aren't overly dressy to wear with jeans too. My issue is finding button downs, in a slimmer fit, that look good on me and don't cost a ton.

Been doing this finally. Got a nice one from the Banana Republic outlet. Looking around for more. I like the ones that aren't overly dressy to wear with jeans too. My issue is finding button downs, in a slimmer fit, that look good on me and don't cost a ton.

Again, chambray is good.

I have a couple of regular plain ones, but I really do like patterns (plaid without really being true plaid I guess) since they're in colors that usually compliment and I often wear them with jeans when dressing for work.

I like checking out the sales at J Crew and pick from a shirt that catches my interest and will go with a sweater I already have.

bob page

Yeah, BR outlets don't tend to carry slim fit stuff- most of it is styles from past years that aren't cut as modern.

Keep an eye out for JCrew Factory sales. I just picked up a couple slim shirts online there for $30 each.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, BR outlets don't tend to carry slim fit stuff- most of it is styles from past years that aren't cut as modern.

Keep an eye out for JCrew Factory sales. I just picked up a couple slim shirts online there for $30 each.

Will do.

Anyone have the color coordination site thingy handy? I am terrible at matching colors. Especially with khakis/shirts.

Antagon

I think my suit looks better without a belt. Question is, is it fine to go without one to a job interview?

Are there belt loops on thr pants? If so, wear a belt. Can't imagine it looking good without.

No belt loops would normally mean suspenders I think. Pretty uncommon though, and probably very hard to pull off.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd like to try to work some Chinos into normal wear too. It will be odd at first since they seem "dressy" to me and my friends, but I like some of the looks.

I saw someone rocking grey chinos and a white t-shirt, does this work? What's some good "dressed down" looks with chinos?

Pecan1

Banned
Hey ManshionGAF, first time lurker long time poster.

Cold weather is approaching, so what appropriate/good looking as something to wear as like an overcoat while wearing a suit?

Chambray is too light for fall winter. Want some broadcloth or nice Oxford cloth for the coming up months.

Depends where you live I guess. Over here there is no true seasonal clothing but just wear what's appropriate on that day. It can be hot in December and cold in July.

haha last night while i was looking at some slim jeans the salesman came up to me just to help out and pointed out where the other slim jeans were and regular fits and then out of nowhere, in his french accent, launches into this rant against skinny jeans and how he even hates the word itself. i thought it was funny but he seemed to be feel very strongly about it so i didn't laugh

Man, skinny jeans are amazing. Anything in the "super skinny" range, though... I don't understand that. Gotta be uncomfortable and just looks weird.

he had no problem with slim, he just seemed absolutely abhor skinny jeans. i have no idea what i personally did to set him off but yeah he was against the ones that are practically skin tight, said raither than skinny they should be called illness/sick or something

bob page

I got my package from J Crew yesterday- bought a navy Thompson blazer and two shirts for $200 shipped. The blazer fits incredibly well- probably the best off the rack suiting item I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

he had no problem with slim, he just seemed absolutely abhor skinny jeans. i have no idea what i personally did to set him off but yeah he was against the ones that are practically skin tight, said raither than skinny they should be called illness/sick or something

If jeans fit around my form and taper downward in a way that leaves, I dunno, .5 to 1cm of breathing room all around, then that is ideal. Though I have a couple pairs of slim straight for lazy comfortable days, and they look alright, but I honestly feel like fitted clothing is always preferable for anyone who has the body for it.

Just got my first pair of Supers. Boy are they nice and they fit me so well.

On an unrelated note do any of you guys have tips on how to iron button down shirts? Seems like I iron the shirt and it looks fine for like an hour but then suddenly there are wrinkles everywhere.

mooooose

Bought an oxford from Gap last week. This is not my usual stee. It is a small and fits okay. The arms are a little tight but a good length. I'm short (5'6") and a little chubby (145) but I'd like this to fit a little smaller if possible. Should I take it to a tailor? Is it worth it for an overpriced Gap oxford? I like the cut at the bottom (suitable for wearing with jeans, not long and a good shape) but it flares out on the sides a little too much and in general it could be tighter in the torso and a little in the upper back. It's not a fitted oxford and that is kind of what I want.

Should I do it or is this a stupid idea? And where would I find a good tailor? I'm in Suffolk NY if anyone can help.

Just got my first pair of Supers. Boy are they nice and they fit me so well.

On an unrelated note do any of you guys have tips on how to iron button down shirts? Seems like I iron the shirt and it looks fine for like an hour but then suddenly there are wrinkles everywhere.
Light starch goes a really long way. Youtube it young one.

Alucrid

Banned
Bought an oxford from Gap last week. This is not my usual stee. It is a small and fits okay. The arms are a little tight but a good length. I'm short (5'6") and a little chubby (145) but I'd like this to fit a little smaller if possible. Should I take it to a tailor? Is it worth it for an overpriced Gap oxford? I like the cut at the bottom (suitable for wearing with jeans, not long and a good shape) but it flares out on the sides a little too much and in general it could be tighter in the torso and a little in the upper back. It's not a fitted oxford and that is kind of what I want.

Should I do it or is this a stupid idea? And where would I find a good tailor? I'm in Suffolk NY if anyone can help.

add some darts to make it slimmer in the torso and reduce the boxiness, relatively simple procedure.

Antagon

Just went shopping today. Got a pair of 17 ounce raw slimfit jeans from Tellason and iron rangers. Jeans are going to be a pain to break in, but should be worth it.

fotoh1uat.jpg

foto2orpas.jpg

The jeans do need to stretch a bit around my calves, but I'm pretty sure they'll turn out fine.

http://www.jackthreads.com/sales/7785/products/40475

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally like those boots (especially the color) but don't have the cash to buy it right this instant. Is there another site to bookmark where I could purchase the same (or very similar) style in the future without having to worry about JackThreads' 3 day sales or whatever?

I love and hate jackthreads. Bought a pair of Kill City wire jeans at like $45 from them a week or two ago not sure if I would like them. If I'd known I'd be this in love with the jeans I would've bought 2 or 3 pairs. Now I have no idea if and when they'll have em on sale again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom