• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
cwmartin said:
There's always the one kid* in your advanced level economics course who dresses like he's already landed that fortune 500 corporate gig, and he sticks out badly. So if you gotta be that guy, be him.

*Said kid is currently unemployed, says facebook. Not sticking correlation to causation, just sayin. :)

Yeah and I know a kid like that and his suits and shit look like fucking trash bags draped over him.

Ketchup Boy said:
Would it be bad to dress like this even when you're in school? I'm stuck here for two more years, but I want to start dressing professional already!!! I'm 23 for petes sakes I want to start looking grown!

tldr: any time anyone says that you know it's going to be a train wreck.

cwmartin

Alucrid said:
Yeah and I know a kid like that and his suits and shit look like fucking trash bags draped over him.

This was 2 years ago when i was still in school, but there was always one. I always thought dressing appropriate for the situation was key. No one is going to offer you a job at your 9:30 lecture, you can relax!

Alucrid

Banned
cwmartin said:
This was 2 years ago when i was still in school, but there was always one. I always thought dressing appropriate for the situation was key. No one is going to offer you a job at your 9:30 lecture, you can relax!

Yep. I'm at an internship now where I HAVE to wear suits which sucks. God I just want to be able to wear jeans every day. :( Don't get me wrong, I like suits (and hope to nab a MTM one later this year) but wearing one every day just tires you out. Breaking it out for special occasions or a night out is fine for me though. Of course there's also the opposite of people who wake up and roll out in their pajamas for that 9:30 lecture lol.

bob page

RJNavarrete said:
Online or in store? Is there a coupon needed? Details, man!
No coupon needed (in store). They had a crap load of stuff on sale when I went, and any sale price gets an additional 35% off (including shoes- they had some wingtips that were $65 after discount).

Doytch

Heads-up: Allen Edmonds is starting a sale tomorrow through Oct 11: All shoes/belts/acces 14.92-30% off, for the "Rediscover America" sale.

AE Community Manager Quote: Hey all... event starts this Monday and lasts until the 11th. It is available on-line, at our stores and through approximately 400 authorized AE dealers. There is a Rediscover America Collection of 12 styles (current and new) along with a few matching belts that are priced extremely well -- read much better than 15% off. All other branded AE products will be 14.92% (15%) off. You will be able to see everything on-line on Monday morning.

entremet

Doytch said:
Heads-up: Allen Edmonds is starting a sale tomorrow through Oct 11: All shoes/belts/acces 14.92-30% off, for the "Rediscover America" sale.

AE Community Manager Quote: Hey all... event starts this Monday and lasts until the 11th. It is available on-line, at our stores and through approximately 400 authorized AE dealers. There is a Rediscover America Collection of 12 styles (current and new) along with a few matching belts that are priced extremely well -- read much better than 15% off. All other branded AE products will be 14.92% (15%) off. You will be able to see everything on-line on Monday morning.
Fuck. Why do I have to be broke right now.

Doytch

entrement said:
Fuck. Why do I have to be broke right now.
8j6mU.png

Just paid a $700 car repair bill on Friday. Fuck BMW parts. =(

bob page

Doytch said:

Do you know if this includes places like Nordstrom Rack?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Anyone know where where I can get high-quality v-neck t-shirts? Every once in a while, I'll see a guy walking by with a really nice quality fabric shirt. Most female tees seem to be made of the same stuff (whatever it is). Preferably w/ broader shoulders and thinner waist. Thanks!

Edit: my current guess is rayon (is that bamboo?).

Doytch

bob page said:
Do you know if this includes places like Nordstrom Rack?
He didn't follow up in the thread...so I'm not sure. I'd say it's worth a shot, given they're including all kinds of sellers.

And the 14.92% is a reference to 1492 - hence the "Rediscover America" moniker.

Alucrid

Banned
Trident said:
Anyone know where where I can get high-quality v-neck t-shirts? Every once in a while, I'll see a guy walking by with a really nice quality fabric shirt. Most female tees seem to be made of the same stuff (whatever it is). Preferably w/ broader shoulders and thinner waist. Thanks!

Edit: my current guess is rayon (is that bamboo?).

I like Muji or Apolis v necks. Apolis is pricey but nice.

Doytch said:
He didn't follow up in the thread...so I'm not sure. I'd say it's worth a shot, given they're including all kinds of sellers.

And the 14.92% is a reference to 1492 - hence the "Rediscover America" moniker.

Education has failed me.

Alucrid said:
I like Muji or Apolis v necks. Apolis is pricey but nice.

Damn you weren't kidding about Apolis, it's $48 for a v neck. I only see white colored ones from Muji, do you have any other recommendations?

Alucrid

Banned
RapidCancel said:
Damn you weren't kidding about Apolis, it's $48 for a v neck. I only see white colored ones from Muji, do you have any other recommendations?

Sadly that's all they have iirc. I buy them for undershirts and usually wear them out casually too.

Although they do have the packages that come with three shirts for $99 on Apolis. Not cheap at all, but less expensive at least. Wolf vs goat has some nice ones too, alas they're more expensive than apolis shirts.

LProtag

Anyone have any fashion advice for someone going into teaching? I'm going to be teaching high school (eventually, right now I'm subbing and just going with slacks and dress shirts with a tie as that's the standard look for authority) and I'll be starting out as a relatively young 20-something guy. I don't want to look stuffy and old, but I also don't want the casual polo and khaki look a lot of male teachers sport. Do you think it's safe to take a page from the look I see a lot of my professors sporting? Maybe a sports jacket or a bowtie to mix things up? I honestly have no idea how to pull off a professional but not stuffy look that would be appropriate for a teacher.

CFMOORE!

macuser1of5 said:
do explain..

well, the definition is what is being stretched here. in some people's cases they seem to just say FIT is what makes your dress more adult. the "get out of your dad's clothes" look is what people latch onto, which i agree with. but just because you're wearing fitted jeans, a trendy slim jacket and tight black tee underneath and it all cost you $400+ to cobble that one look together doesn't make you someone dressing as an adult in my eyes.

I am not saying everyone must be rocking suits daily, though I would like a world the would somewhat revert to that era, but some of the looks posted here I wouldn't exactly qualify as "adult". More and more it seems like these threads are about "check out this $250 shirt I got on sale, regularly $395!".

Say what you want about the guy Jesse from Put This On, but to me, that is what actually dressing like a grownup/adult entails.

Alucrid

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Anyone have any fashion advice for someone going into teaching? I'm going to be teaching high school (eventually, right now I'm subbing and just going with slacks and dress shirts with a tie as that's the standard look for authority) and I'll be starting out as a relatively young 20-something guy. I don't want to look stuffy and old, but I also don't want the casual polo and khaki look a lot of male teachers sport. Do you think it's safe to take a page from the look I see a lot of my professors sporting? Maybe a sports jacket or a bowtie to mix things up? I honestly have no idea how to pull off a professional but not stuffy look that would be appropriate for a teacher.

A nice pair of pants, collared shirt and possibly skinny tie. You'll look pretty good but not old-professor ish. I have no clue what the dress policy is for teachers though, might want to find that out and see.

CFMOORE! said:
well, the definition is what is being stretched here. in some people's cases they seem to just say FIT is what makes your dress more adult. the "get out of your dad's clothes" look is what people latch onto, which i agree with. but just because you're wearing fitted jeans, a trendy slim jacket and tight black tee underneath and it all cost you $400+ to cobble that one look together doesn't make you someone dressing as an adult in my eyes.

I am not saying everyone must be rocking suits daily, though I would like a world the would somewhat revert to that era, but some of the looks posted here I wouldn't exactly qualify as "adult". More and more it seems like these threads are about "check out this $250 shirt I got on sale, regularly $395!".

Say what you want about the guy Jesse from Put This On, but to me, that is what actually dressing like a grownup/adult entails.

Who advertised that? I hate wearing a jacket (I'm assuming you mean something like a blazer) with that sort of outfit. I don't think fit makes you look like an 'adult' and of course the qualifications for looking 'like an adult' are pretty vague if not altogether nonexistent. I just don't like posts coming in here asking how to dress like an adult.

Enron

Banned
Alucrid said:
A nice pair of pants, collared shirt and possibly skinny tie. You'll look pretty good but not old-professor ish. I have no clue what the dress policy is for teachers though, might want to find that out and see.

As a young male teacher, I think you should dress like an authority figure, and not try to be too hip.

CFMOORE!

you'll never look old and stuffy so long as you wear the look and not the look wearing you. just be confident in what you're wearing and you'll be a badass. get some tweed blazers with elbow patches stat!

Alucrid

Banned
Enron said:
As a young male teacher, I think you should dress like an authority figure, and not try to be too hip.

Most of my young male teachers in college either wore casual (jeans and a collared shirt) or just dress pants and a collared shirt (generally slim fitting) and they seemed to control the class just fine. If InsertNameHere can do it in a suit he can probably do it while being 'hip' (although I don't really see my suggestion as that too much, it's not like I told him to go in as an urban street ninja). I mean really, as long as you can control the class I'm sure clothes are the least of your worries.

I had a high school teacher who would wear a full suit one day then the next he'd just wear this cheap leather jacket with a t-shirt underneath and jeans. Everybody loved him. Soooo, do what he does.
lol

Enron

Banned
Alucrid said:
Most of my young male teachers in college either wore casual (jeans and a collared shirt) or just dress pants and a collared shirt (generally slim fitting) and they seemed to control the class just fine. If InsertNameHere can do it in a suit he can probably do it while being 'hip' (although I don't really see my suggestion as that too much, it's not like I told him to go in as an urban street ninja).

I wasn't really talking about your suggestion. I should have just replied to his post instead of yours. "Not being too hip" was MY suggestion, not a reaction to yours.

But, there is 1 big difference between those two situations. One is college, the other is high school. Full of immature 14-18 year old boys and girls who might not respect a teacher that looks/acts like a slightly older brother.

Alucrid

Banned
Enron said:
I wasn't really talking about your suggestion. I should have just replied to his post instead of yours. "Not being too hip" was MY suggestion, not a reaction to yours.

But, there is 1 big difference between those two situations. One is college, the other is high school. Full of immature 14-18 year old boys and girls who might not respect a teacher that looks/acts like a slightly older brother.

Well that's just it. If he acts like an bro or a friend to them he's probably not going to go far no matter what his attire is. If he doesn't and lays down the law he can probably roll in there with a furry suit on and be a-okay. Then again, HS was a few years ago and kids these days are dicks so who knows lol.

I think there is a misunderstanding between dressing like an adult vs dressing appropriately for the context, or simply dressing with intent. I'm not always going to wear a suit out barhopping with friends, but I'll wear a street wear get up with more effort put in it than the standard polo and shorts wearing dude. Work is the same, suits or business wear, though my aesthetic approach is essentially the same (90s minimalism).I don't really have a work and casual wardrobe, I just have clothes at various ends of the spectrum.

I guess it comes down to recognizing the social codes of clothing, and when to embrace, subvert, or ignore them. For me, dressing like an adult is a meaningless imperative, since a lot of adults just rigidly adhere to standard dress codes and put little thought into the process. I suppose it depends what you want to do; adhere to conventions but do it well, explore some niche fashion subset (with it's own rules & codes), or something in between. The assumption I see often is that wearing fashion labels vs traditional makers is the former is fickle and trend-oriented, but at least for me, it is simply a matter of preferring something that deviates slightly from the norm (pattern, texture, color, etc).

Then again I'm only 27. But I doubt my perspective will change on this, robot sneakers till I'm an invalid.

LProtag

Right, I won't be teaching college, even though I'm considering getting a Ph.D and doing that later on in life. At the same time I don't want to fall into that bland high school teacher in a polo look and want to have some sense of individuality. I believe in being an authority figure but also someone the students can relate to and look up to as well. I don't want to be seen as someone only there to enforce the rules and teach the curriculum, but rather someone who is genuinely interested in my students as people. I'd like to be the kind of teacher that students come back to after being in college and have a drink with. I think appearance can play heavily into this.

I guess my idealism is kinda showing heavily here, haha. I think I'll figure it out.

SRG01

So, where can I find reasonably priced slim-fit button-ups aside from H&M? It's kind of ridiculous seeing the prices at BNR or similar shops...

InsertNameHere said:
Right, I won't be teaching college, even though I'm considering getting a Ph.D and doing that later on in life. At the same time I don't want to fall into that bland high school teacher in a polo look and want to have some sense of individuality. I believe in being an authority figure but also someone the students can relate to and look up to as well. I don't want to be seen as someone only there to enforce the rules and teach the curriculum, but rather someone who is genuinely interested in my students as people. I'd like to be the kind of teacher that students come back to after being in college and have a drink with. I think appearance can play heavily into this.

I guess my idealism is kinda showing heavily here, haha. I think I'll figure it out.
Some inspiration for you to draw from. I think you can pull off several of these looks, or several pieces from the following looks, and accomplish what you are aiming to.

YYtKo.jpg

LnobF.jpg

reYNU.jpg

9Epts.jpg

RaiIB.jpg

2KiyH.jpg

h0i5b.jpg

T1X1n.jpg

OA8jK.jpg

Fo9Zj.jpg

awPU9.jpg

Rblic.jpg

73kvl.jpg

bob page

SRG01 said:
So, where can I find reasonably priced slim-fit button-ups aside from H&M? It's kind of ridiculous seeing the prices at BNR or similar shops...
Zara, Uniqlo, Banana Republic.

RJNavarrete said:
Some inspiration for you to draw from. I think you can pull off several of these looks, or several pieces from the following looks, and accomplish what you are aiming to.

YYtKo.jpg
This owns. If I could wear jeans to work, I'd totally rock that.

green canvas bag - probably filson or something similar

blazer - a store

jeans - a store

loafers - a store

really, these are all pretty standard items :p I wouldn't wear jeans that slim with loafers, or at least not wear socks like that. looks off.

wearing a vest without a blazer is just odd, especially when the pants match.

Sorry, guys, I just hoard images to my HDD in a "lookbook" folder without sources, links, etc. I'm sure you can find those pieces with relative ease, though. Dark/slim/raw jeans, tan jacket, and brown loafers shouldn't be extremely hard to come by.

LProtag

Yeah those all fit with my general aesthetic I have going on right now, though obviously these clothes are a bit more pricy than the stuff I can afford right now. I think this kinda stuff would work well. I'm a skinny short guy so I'm probably going to have to get almost everything tailored/custom as things end up being a bit big on me, but that's life.

InsertNameHere said:
Yeah those all fit with my general aesthetic I have going on right now, though obviously these clothes are a bit more pricy than the stuff I can afford right now. I think this kinda stuff would work well. I'm a skinny short guy so I'm probably going to have to get almost everything tailored/custom as things end up being a bit big on me, but that's life.
you have the internet, so go to discount online shops and try some shit out. Especially if you're a skinny dude. You could probably put this together for $400, which isn't a lot of money considering the versatility of the individual parts.

entremet

dudeworld said:
wow I pretty much love everything in those pics
It's basically new business casual, which doesn't have to be oversized khakis and polos, stereotypical IT worker garb that has become so common place. shudder the though.

Enron

Banned
InsertNameHere said:

Try nice sport shirts and slacks/chinos, roll up the sleeves, and nice shoes maybe? Im guessing most male teachers do the polos/chinos/crappy shoes or TENNIS SHOES (ugh) like most of my coworkers in the office do.

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
are there any good looking men knee high boots(or close) that men have that dont look like they're for girls? not no weather-proof mountain shit.
Yeah, but keep it simple, like a riding boot or something similar. 14" doc martens should stay at the fetish clubs. I wouldn't go quite to the knee whatever you get.

LProtag

macuser1of5 said:
you have the internet, so go to discount online shops and try some shit out. Especially if you're a skinny dude. You could probably put this together for $400, which isn't a lot of money considering the versatility of the individual parts.

Yeah, I need to make some money before I can throw down that much cash on some clothes. I've got some nice modern/slim fit dress shirts and pants for the subbing gig, and I won't actually start teaching for some time now, so I've got plenty of time to save and plan. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom