• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

careful

I've always been more of a brown shoes type of guy, but I'd like to try rocking some black dress shoes. Specifically black 'casual' derbies with a rounder toe box. I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords, but they're too conservative business dressy for anything other than pairing with suits..

It seems like there's three types of dudes wearing black dress shoes.
1) Dudes that don't give a fuck wearing some squared toe shoes or sketcher hybrids.
2) Conservative business dudes with nice expensive shoes (similar looking to like my AEs).
3) Stylin dudes that can pull off the black dress shoe in a more casual way without falling into #1 or #2.

I'm curious to see if I can get into #3 territory.. I'm thinking probably not with my current wardrobe. I'm assuming you need a lot of black and white stuff to go along with that style?
Are you limited to white, black, and grey as colours to play around it. What type of pants do you pair with them? Also, I'm not looking to spend $300 on some random high fashion piece. :)

Thanks for the tip on Uniqlo, Alucird. I was going to ask how you were getting their stuff into the states.

I might just wait on their online store opening considering I really only want a down vest from them. Hoping "fall" means early October and not November though.

Alucrid

Banned
I've always been more of a brown shoes type of guy, but I'd like to try rocking some black dress shoes. Specifically black 'casual' derbies with a rounder toe box. I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords, but they're too conservative business dressy for anything other than pairing with suits..

It seems like there's three types of dudes wearing black dress shoes.
1) Dudes that don't give a fuck wearing some squared toe shoes or sketcher hybrids.
2) Conservative business dudes with nice expensive shoes (similar looking to like my AEs).
3) Stylin dudes that can pull off the black dress shoe in a more casual way without falling into #1 or #2.

I'm curious to see if I can get into #3 territory.. I'm thinking probably not with my current wardrobe. I'm assuming you need a lot of black and white stuff to go along with that style?
Are you limited to white, black, and grey as colours to play around it. What type of pants do you pair with them? Also, I'm not looking to spend $300 on some random high fashion piece. :)

I'd probably go with some chunky-ish derbies (like the raf simons ones), slightly cropped slim black trousers (material can vary the dressiness of it), and something like a drapey loose long sleeve t shirt, in an off white ish color or sandish color

Tremas

So, Loake didn't have the brogues I wanted and neither did Church's, so I opted for these from Barker.

Anderson_BurgundyHiShine.jpg

Only problem now is finding a matching belt. Closest one I could find is from Alexander McQueen but I'd rather not pay £150+ for a belt.

How much are you willing to spend?
This is a 150 dollar Made to measure suit from pakistan
The fits is fucking awesome and the material is a twill. Really good build quality for what they are.
im a little disheveled because i had to run and get into position.
576166_10100774683155849_524726886_n.jpg
Looks like a great fit. Did you actually buy it while in Pakistan or they measured you and then it was sent from Pakistan to where you live?

careful

I'd probably go with some chunky-ish derbies (like the raf simons ones), slightly cropped slim black trousers (material can vary the dressiness of it), and something like a drapey loose long sleeve t shirt, in an off white ish color or sandish color
Sounds good. I didn't think of an off white shirt. I'm not a big fan of t-shirts though, so I'll probably go with a collared shirt. I saw a nice off white flannel-like button down at Club Monaco. Will also have to hunt down some shoes..

Alucrid

Banned
got all that stuff i ordered

1. Tasmanian wool blend trousers - really nice fix for dress pants, especially at a $40 sale price

2. uu sweatpants - fucking balling, thinking of ordering another pair

3. uniqlo sweater feels like it's not even worth the $20 or whatever

4. bought uu cargo pants, no idea what to do with them.

5. should have sized down on uniqlo t shirts, smalls are a bit big. gryz lied to me.

goober

7HRx7.png

What brand are these?

Also, what types of shoes go well with tapered denim? I wear chukkas, but I wore them hard over the years so they're pretty beat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Walked past a man adorned in a dark blue velvet suit last night and it blew my mind. One of the most baller things I've ever encountered.

Kyaw

Has anyone here got the Uniqlo Field Jacket?

Winter is coming and I want something waterproof, a bit minimalistic and relatively slim fitting/short. (5' 4'' here)

bob page

got all that stuff i ordered

1. Tasmanian wool blend trousers - really nice fix for dress pants, especially at a $40 sale price

2. uu sweatpants - fucking balling, thinking of ordering another pair

3. uniqlo sweater feels like it's not even worth the $20 or whatever

4. bought uu cargo pants, no idea what to do with them.

5. should have sized down on uniqlo t shirts, smalls are a bit big. gryz lied to me.

I'm 6'0 and 150lbs and I have to order XS on all my Uniqlo tshirts/vnecks. They shrink a tiny bit in the wash but I find that S is too baggy for me.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm 6'0 and 150lbs and I have to order XS on all my Uniqlo tshirts/vnecks. They shrink a tiny bit in the wash but I find that S is too baggy for me.

Yeah. I'll probably just use them as throwaway shirts. $6 a pop, eh, whatever.

I'll probably wash them hot and then dry them on heavy to see if I can't get enough shrinkage out of them though.

fat pat

I think its about time to retire my first pair of raw denim. Found these Japenese demin Gap Straight legs for 40 bucks a couple years ago and wore the hell out of em. The backs are all ruined and the crotch and back pocket are about to let go completely.

I wish i could find another pair of these somewhere.

Also got my new dress shoes.
Gu6VUl.jpg

Oooh, those look nice.

I'm hunting for the perfect pair of shoes now. I finally found a jacket that I kinda dig. I need a pair of shoes that go perfect with jeans and dress pants. Lack of knowledge FTL? I always feel odd wearing dress shoes with jeans.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
For what it's worth, I highly reccomend Adam Tailor down on S Jackson St in the International District. He has a pretty long turnaround and doesn't speak much english, but his work is fantastic.

Will keep this in mind. I used a guy in upper Queen Anne a few years ago for some nicer articles of clothing (y'know, beyond hemming jeans, which I usually just take to the Korean lady across the street) and was quite happy with his knowledge and quality of work, but it seemed kind of pricey -- though to be fair, it was my first tailoring experience and I had no idea what anything would end up costing.

How do you people afford all this stuff? How rich are you guys?

I buy almost exclusively 2nd hand, and even if that makes me sound trashy or cheap, it's how I get by and get compliments.

Also, macuser is my sugar daddy.

Alucrid

Banned
Will keep this in mind. I used a guy in upper Queen Anne a few years ago for some nicer articles of clothing (y'know, beyond hemming jeans, which I usually just take to the Korean lady across the street) and was quite happy with his knowledge and quality of work, but it seemed kind of pricey -- though to be fair, it was my first tailoring experience and I had no idea what anything would end up costing.

I buy almost exclusively 2nd hand, and even if that makes me sound trashy or cheap, it's how I get by and get compliments.

Also, macuser is my sugar daddy.

Does this mean we have to tell his wife? :p

lupin23rd

Picked up a navy/white gingham pocket square, what do you guys think this would work with shirt-wise (assume sport jacket or some sort, no tie).

I guess matching gingham is a bit much? Plain white shirt? Maybe navy too, but I don't see myself wearing a navy shirt. Blue/white stripes?

Picked up a navy/white gingham pocket square, what do you guys think this would work with shirt-wise (assume sport jacket or some sort, no tie).

I guess matching gingham is a bit much? Plain white shirt? Maybe navy too, but I don't see myself wearing a navy shirt. Blue/white stripes?
White shirt with either a blue or gray suit would look great.

If you're going to have a patterned pocket square, I'd stay away from a similarly patterned shirt. It sounds like you want the pocket square to be the standout piece of your outfit, in which case, keep everything else subtle.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Suits.. Nothing "unconventional" gets noticed here in the manshion thread :/

I noticed!... and legitimately forgot to say something earlier. Not everyone can pull off that type of style, but it's working for you. Coincidentally, I bought a similar-looking pair of boots this afternoon.

Zekes' big gold scarf is rad, too. I have a humongous red one like that, but it's rarely cold enough here to warrant getting it out.

waypoetic

Banned
I noticed!... and legitimately forgot to say something earlier. Not everyone can pull off that type of style, but it's working for you. Coincidentally, I bought a similar-looking pair of boots this afternoon.

Zekes' big gold scarf is rad, too. I have a humongous red one like that, but it's rarely cold enough here to warrant getting it out.

Thank you! I love boots, especially the ones that blend together with a sneaker.

Dunno if this counts as a manshion item, but I just picked up this messenger bag from Zappos VIP:

1864735-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I was on the hunt for a $50 messenger bag and I found a Timbuk2 and a Dakine bag for less than that but I also was looking for something stylish. Ran all 3 with a bunch of my female friends and they all ended up picking the Jansport lol. So either they were fncking with me or the bag does really look good haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom