• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Dunno if this counts as a manshion item, but I just picked up this messenger bag from Zappos VIP:

1864735-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I was on the hunt for a $50 messenger bag and I found a Timbuk2 and a Dakine bag for less than that but I also was looking for something stylish. Ran all 3 with a bunch of my female friends and they all ended up picking the Jansport lol. So either they were fncking with me or the bag does really look good haha.
I think it's pretty bad and you can do a lot better for $50. Just check the messenger bag section on eBags.

Dunno if this counts as a manshion item, but I just picked up this messenger bag from Zappos VIP:

1864735-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I was on the hunt for a $50 messenger bag and I found a Timbuk2 and a Dakine bag for less than that but I also was looking for something stylish. Ran all 3 with a bunch of my female friends and they all ended up picking the Jansport lol. So either they were fncking with me or the bag does really look good haha.

Oh man Jansport? 50 dollars is 100 dollars too much for that brand.

Haha yeah, but I wasn't really able to find a messenger bag that could carry an iPad, two notebooks and a textbook the size of a cereal box, that looked decent, and cost less than $50. My only other choice was a William Rast bag and one of those Rothco bags in Amazon but I wasn't sure if any of them would be able to carry all that.

We'll see how the bag holds up when I get it on Tuesday, if it actually is quite bad, I'll be back here asking for some recommendations lol.

Best looking out of theese?

L_g0016373280.jpg

I like the black ones. Can anyone explain to me why Boy London is blowing up?

From what I can gather its a brand from london, its cost £45 for a t shirt from them and the first I ever heard of them was when I went to a soundsystem night and a few of the Djs were wearing T's. Now I see it all over the place.

Got myself a green uniqlo jumper on saturday for £15.

Edit: never mind now I know why.
" Boy London has an extensive celebrity fan base with the likes of more mainstream celebrities such as Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Jessie J and X-Factor ‘sick girl’ Cher Lloyd all wearing the brand. Sometimes even head to toe."

Best looking out of theese?
http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/80/732/L_g0016373280.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://triplek11.godohosting.com/update/ac/ac154/k01.jpg
http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/72/074/L_g0021707472.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/23/396/L_g0019439623.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wow those black ones are great. Got a source on these?

Raife

This jacket was posted a few pages back but I couldn't find any details about it. Does anyone have any idea what it is or could suggest something with a similar color and cut?

Also, Would something like this look ridiculous on someone my height and weight. 5'5" and 160-65 lbs?

This jacket was posted a few pages back but I couldn't find any details about it. Does anyone have any idea what it is or could suggest something with a similar color and cut?

Also, Would something like this look ridiculous on someone my height and weight. 5'5" and 160-65 lbs?
nah, just make sure it isn't too long in the length or sleeve. get something with non-working buttons (or no buttons), will make shortening the sleeve easier.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'd like to transition to wearing chinos a bit more in non-work life. Issue is, I've been a t-shirt and jeans guy forever, so chinos seem dressy. How can I make the transition easier? There a way to dress down in chinos? Wear t-shirts with them?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So I'd like to transition to wearing chinos a bit more in non-work life. Issue is, I've been a t-shirt and jeans guy forever, so chinos seem dressy. How can I make the transition easier? There a way to dress down in chinos? Wear t-shirts with them?

I'm sort of in this situation, too, but my hang-up is shoes.

What's a good casual-type everyday dressy shoe?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Of course you can wear t-shirts with chinos, I mean, Gap made a kajillion dollars on that aesthetic in the '90s (and yes, I know the difference between khakis and chinos, but c'mon). As is generally the case, the cut and fit of the shirt and pants make all the difference. And plain tees. Always.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Of course you can wear t-shirts with chinos, I mean, Gap made a kajillion dollars on that aesthetic in the '90s (and yes, I know the difference between khakis and chinos, but c'mon). As is generally the case, the cut and fit of the shirt and pants make all the difference. And plain tees. Always.

Any good examples of the way it should look? I just always picture chinos/khakis with polos or button-ups.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Any good examples of the way it should look? I just always picture chinos/khakis with polos or button-ups.

Hm, well, you've obviously seen what a properly fitting tee and a pair of jeans would look like, and the same principles apply with the chinos -- although some people like stacks with their denim, and you wouldn't ever want that with chinos. Personally, I would try to get something slim cut with a nice taper and at least a half break or no break at all.

Assuming these are the typical tan/sandy chinos, pair them with neutral and natural colors: white, grey, black, softer reds and blues, that sort of thing. Stripes or dots are cool, but I'd stick to monochromes for the patterns lest you end up looking like a sailor (which is fine in the summer, but not so great in fall/winter).

Brown chukkas, ankle boots, mocs, bucks, or minimal low-profile sneakers (something Jack Purcell-ish) in white or light colors. I have a weird aversion to black shoes other than boots, heh.

bob page

To be honest, you're thinking way too much into this. Stuff like chinos work with pretty much everything, be it a tshirt, sweater, cardigan, etc. As long as it fits and you have the confidence, it will always look fine.

a safe bet would be khakis, navy cardigan with a white v-neck.

i prefer color and/or striped v-necks, cardigans, or a light chambray shirt like this:
what-to-wear-with-Khaki-pants-men.png

as for shoes, i don't really own any sneakers other than toms, which i don't think go very well with chinos. i wear suede bucks or oxford, or desert boots. I also own chinos in multiple colors (rust/copper, olive, black, multiple shades of brown/tan, orange, slate blue, light grey, oatmeal) which will help your options. the more far out the color, the more casual.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hm, well, you've obviously seen what a properly fitting tee and a pair of jeans would look like, and the same principles apply with the chinos -- although some people like stacks with their denim, and you wouldn't ever want that with chinos. Personally, I would try to get something slim cut with a nice taper and at least a half break or no break at all.

Assuming these are the typical tan/sandy chinos, pair them with neutral and natural colors: white, grey, black, softer reds and blues, that sort of thing. Stripes or dots are cool, but I'd stick to monochromes for the patterns lest you end up looking like a sailor (which is fine in the summer, but not so great in fall/winter).

Brown chukkas, ankle boots, mocs, bucks, or minimal low-profile sneakers (something Jack Purcell-ish) in white or light colors. I have a weird aversion to black shoes other than boots, heh.

To be honest, you're thinking way too much into this. Stuff like chinos work with pretty much everything, be it a tshirt, sweater, cardigan, etc. As long as it fits and you have the confidence, it will always look fine.

a safe bet would be khakis, navy cardigan with a white v-neck.

i prefer color and/or striped v-necks, cardigans, or a light chambray shirt like this:

as for shoes, i don't really own any sneakers other than toms, which i don't think go very well with chinos. i wear suede bucks or oxford, or desert boots. I also own chinos in multiple colors (rust/copper, olive, black, multiple shades of brown/tan, orange, slate blue, light grey, oatmeal) which will help your options. the more far out the color, the more casual.

Thanks guys. I probably am thinking too much into it, but like I said based on what I am used to wearing and what my friends wear chinos are "dressy." :p

I've been meaning to get some of those Clarks combat boots, so those would go well. Now to find some t-shirts to wear with them. My closet has too many graphic T's...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Antagon

Thanks, guys. I haven't looked around much at saddle shoes, but I like them. As for suede chukkas/oxfords, I found these:

Shoes

Yea/Nay?

I'm digging the second pair, what are they? Might even be better in a different color.

Suede works really well with that sole.

bob page

Wait so it's 15-30% off and then another 50% off with the code? That's practically free.

$50, not 50% unfortunately. I got me a pair for $215 after tax & shipping. Looks like most of the ones on Amazon are sold out but the AE site has some without the extra $50 coupon.

I'll add to the WAYWT posts.

This is the first week of class so I have a few different outfits I'll be trying out. I literally could live in this jacket, I love it.

Jacket is Hugo Boss. Jeans Naked & Famous. Boots Timberland. I also have navy/red argyle socks from Brooks Brothers that you can't see. They match the pocket square.

WAYWT post #1

Sorry for the weird office bathroom setting, but the full length mirror at my place sucks
Do your laces match your shirt color? If so, nice touch. I think the outfit might look better with your shirt tucked in cleanly and the sleeves tightened up a bit, otherwise it looks solid.

This is the first week of class so I have a few different outfits I'll be trying out. I literally could live in this jacket, I love it.

Jacket is Hugo Boss. Jeans Naked & Famous. Boots Timberland. I also have navy/red argyle socks from Brooks Brothers that you can't see. They match the pocket square.

Damn man, talk about raising the bar.

careful

Do your laces match your shirt color? If so, nice touch. I think the outfit might look better with your shirt tucked in cleanly and the sleeves tightened up a bit, otherwise it looks solid.
Awesome fit on that jacket. Though rolling up the surgeon's cuff might be a bit too menswearish for me.. :)
I'm feeling the boots too. Do you have a link to them?
I have some Clarks beeswax DBs and I love the medium brown color. However, the crepe sole makes them too casual for some outfits. I'm looking for a shoe/boot in similar color but with a leather or dainite sole to dress it up a bit.

six months of biz cas is depressing me
I embrace biz cas. Gives me the option to try out a few different things without looking like I'm too overdressed.
We used to not have any dress code at all at work and so most everyone was rocking jeans and tee.
One time someone asked me why I was wearing 'fancy pants' when I showed up in casual chinos.. lol

pax217

Been trying to practice 'throwing' together outfits because I can look too coordinated sometimes. Felt like dressing down today.

I don't know much about fashion, so the scarf looks a bit out-of-place to me-- but the hat/shirt looks good together.

Damn man, talk about raising the bar.
Thanks man.

Awesome fit on that jacket. Though rolling up the surgeon's cuff might be a bit too menswearish for me.. :)
I'm feeling the boots too. Do you have a link to them?
I have some Clarks beeswax DBs and I love the medium brown color. However, the crepe sole makes them too casual for some outfits. I'm looking for a shoe/boot in similar color but with a leather or dainite sole to dress it up a bit.
Yeah they're the Timberland Lost History Chukkas, which may newly be titled the Wodehouse Chukkas (pretty sure they're the exact same). They're super comfortable and I always get compliments on them. You can usually find them on sale though so it might be worthwhile to wait around and see if they drop in price anywhere (I got mine for about $200).

Hope that helps! Thanks for the kind words.

Been trying to practice 'throwing' together outfits because I can look too coordinated sometimes. Felt like dressing down today.
I'm digging that, man. It falls in the category of looks I could never pull off though, not my style. The scarf with the jersey is rad, might look better with a different color though. Gray perhaps?

mooooose

Boot and hat match but the scarf doesn't match anything and the boots don't match anything... nice pieces individually though...

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm digging that, man. It falls in the category of looks I could never pull off though, not my style.
That sums up most of this thread for me. I love what Alucrid and Cosmic Bus buy and recommend, but I don't think I could ever pull any of it off. I might also just be way too conservative with what I wear.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So grey chinos with what color t-shirt (white?) and what kind of shoes? Clarks? What color, black?

Until I can grab some more chinos I want to mess around with the grey ones I have and like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom