• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Can you guys recommend a pair of shoes that could be worn with jeans and a button down shirt, but which wouldn't look out of place if I upgraded to formal slacks? Preferably something that is comfortable to walk around in all day.

Basically a "business casual" shoe.

I usually go black, but I might look to also pick up a brown pair as well, so I'd love recommendations for each color.

Antagon

Can you guys recommend a pair of shoes that could be worn with jeans and a button down shirt, but which wouldn't look out of place if I upgraded to formal slacks? Preferably something that is comfortable to walk around in all day.

You want brown oxfords. Preferably with some brogues. For example strands

A double monk strap could probably work as well and is a bit slicker if you prefer that.

Wouldn't go with black, as that tends to get too formal for jeans.

Alucrid

Banned
...That jacket costs over $1000...

GAF, stop posting super expensive stuff. Let's be realistic here.

The SLP stuff that costs thousands sold out in a day or two. I don't see how it's not 'realistic.' Perhaps not practical for you, but certainly not realistic.

I usually go black, but I might look to also pick up a brown pair as well, so I'd love recommendations for each color.

I'd go with boots rather than shoes.

coldvein

Banned
liking some of this gant rugger shit. maybe i ask my mom for somethin for christmas.

but i'm afraid if i get like .. a $400 coat, i'll suddenly start really caring about how i dress, making "outfits", spending my money on clothes and shit.. who wants to be that guy, really.

Puddles

Banned

A double monk strap could probably work as well and is a bit slicker if you prefer that.

Strands look awesome, but that's out of my price range at this particular moment.

Any recommendations on something < $100?

I'd go with boots rather than shoes.

Man, I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that leap.

Strands look awesome, but that's out of my price range at this particular moment.

Any recommendations on something < $100?

Man, I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that leap.
I'd have to agree with Alucrid here. A nice pair of chukkas for instance are super versatile. Certainly closer to the casual end but definitely won't look out of place with a more formal outfit from time to time.

Take a look at the Clark's desert boots and see what you think.

Antagon

If the budget is under $100 I'd agree with desert boots. You won't find decent dress shoes for that unless you're really lucky with a sale. And cheap dress boots look... cheap.

Edit: aysos has some suede derbies that look alright and which would work. Quality is probably crap though.

bob page

I'd definitely go with boots if you're just going to be wearing them with jeans. Or you can go for some wingtip boots and get the best of both worlds. The Aldo Mr. B Blake are a great pick (contrary to most Aldo shoes) and can usually be found for around $75 on sale.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/mr-...campaign=Primary&utm_content=Text&utm_term=NO

Also, I added a Uniqlo Harrington jacket to my list of my fall clothes for sale (size small):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42950754&postcount=10323

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looking for jeans, found nice ones, not expensive, but ugh, zippers on the back pockets. Best thing to put me off from buying a pair of jeans. Why do they even make that crap?

bob page

Looking for jeans, found nice ones, not expensive, but ugh, zippers on the back pockets. Best thing to put me off from buying a pair of jeans. Why do they even make that crap?

These are $59 shipped this weekend (Code is LEAVES and 9876):

LEC-Slims.jpg

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-...uct+Catalog-_-3059429_4025845_-_-Joseph+Weber

Puddles

Banned
I'd have to agree with Alucrid here. A nice pair of chukkas for instance are super versatile. Certainly closer to the casual end but definitely won't look out of place with a more formal outfit from time to time.

Take a look at the Clark's desert boots and see what you think.

Wow, I didn't realize that stuff like that counted as boots. When I think of boots, I think of something that goes much higher up the leg.

The Clark's desert boots look awesome. I may just go with those.

Mangotron

What's the consensus on colors for Clarks? Need help with this really difficult decision between Oakwood and Beeswax.

I think Beeswax is the most popular color, personally I think it's a more versatile color than Oakwood but that would depend somewhat on the rest of your wardrobe.

mblitek

You'd be proud Fashion GAF! I just blew $1070 (tax incl) on a killer first date (next weekend!) outfit at Holt Renfrew (Canadian version of Neiman Marcus) ! Met up with a fun family friend & her husband and she and one of the guys that knows her there dressed me up! She comes from a wealthy family and loves fashion and while I like clothes this was over the top for me!

But, I haven't been on a "first date" in years...over 4? Because of my accident I'm not a recluse but I don't go out to clubs/parties since I'm in a electric wheelchair and it's hard to get around. So I justified this as some quality clothing that I can always add to and hopefully land me that successful first date next weekend :)

Sorry for the crappy iPad 2 pictures:

Citizens of Humanity
Sid Straight Leg
Sherman - Not as dark as they look

Paul Smith Socks
Pink Two Stripe - Not really pink, more red-ish

Paul Smith Shirt
Red & Blue Check

Burberry Cashmere Sweater
Pale Grey Melange- Similar but without the ribbing

Craptacular iPad 2 Pictures:

Oh and then I bought these boots a couple weeks ago, Clark's Desert Boot - Taupe Suede not as dark as the photo suggests.

What do you guys think?

bob page

You'd be proud Fashion GAF! I just blew $1070 (tax incl) on a killer first date (next weekend!) outfit at Holt Renfrew (Canadian version of Neiman Marcus) ! Met up with a fun family friend & her husband and she and one of the guys that knows her there dressed me up! She comes from a wealthy family and loves fashion and while I like clothes this was over the top for me!

But, I haven't been on a "first date" in years...over 4? Because of my accident I'm not a recluse but I don't go out to clubs/parties since I'm in a electric wheelchair and it's hard to get around. So I justified this as some quality clothing that I can always add to and hopefully land me that successful first date next weekend :)

Citizens of Humanity
Sid Straight Leg

Paul Smith Socks

Paul Smith Shirt
Red & Blue Check

Oh and then I bought these boots a couple weeks ago, Clark's Desert Boot - Taupe Suede not as dark as the photo suggests.

What do you guys think?
Nice work. You definitely didn't need to spend that much but the stuff you got is great quality.

And you can't really go wrong with any DB colors in the brown/beige spectrum. Beeswax & taupe suede are the most popular, though.

h3ro

Citizens of Humanity
Sid Straight Leg

Paul Smith Socks

Paul Smith Shirt
Red & Blue Check

What do you guys think?
Great pieces!

Killer wardrobe or not, hope you knock her socks off! :)

Bought a pair of Land's End Canvas made-in-the-U.S.A denim slim fit. Looks and feels great, but man do they fit tight. I wear 30x32, and even compared to my pair of 'standard' L.E.C. slim fit jeans(my favorite fitting jeans), they are pretty slim. I'm going try to stick with them though. I might suggest going up a size in the waist if you're going to buy a pair.

Dunno if there's a cologne GAF or not, but do y'all have any suggestions for a good fall/winter cologne?

Right now I use Armani Code, Givenchy Play, Armani He, and some D&G one I can't remember the name of.

Obviously Code is reserved for those special days so I tend to switch between Play and He for casual/school settings. I'm running out on both so if y'all have any others do drop them, if not I'm sticking with He as it lasts longer on my skin than Play. Also, links to some samples will be greatly appreciated.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Dunno if there's a cologne GAF or not, but do y'all have any suggestions for a good fall/winter cologne?

Right now I use Armani Code, Givenchy Play, Armani He, and some D&G one I can't remember the name of.

Obviously Code is reserved for those special days so I tend to switch between Play and He for casual/school settings. I'm running out on both so if y'all have any others do drop them, if not I'm sticking with He as it lasts longer on my skin than Play. Also, links to some samples will be greatly appreciated.

I suggest Terre d'Homme by Hermès. It's perfect for the fall.

Red overcoats. Yay or nay?
I'm torn between getting a red pea coat or leather jacket for the forthcoming winter.....
Anybody have any recommendations?
This is what I've come across so far but I'm not impressed:

The pockets are ridiculously high!

In terms of leather, this is my ideal:

bydefault2012-10-08at135619.jpg

... but it was a Bathing Ape limited run and is no longer available :'(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I (finally) got a button up to start adding some for winter. As with seemingly everything I buy it wrinkled right away, but how's it look? (Ignore the bathroom setting and my Monday morning zombie look).

Miles X

Anyone know where I can find a nice casual blazer (preferably grey/cream/white) in the UK? No cheap trash like Topman ect, money is no issue.

Anyone know where I can find a nice casual blazer (preferably grey/cream/white) in the UK? No cheap trash like Topman ect, money is no issue.

if you're in london just walk down new bond street: zegna, pal zileri, canali and hugo boss are all next to each other and all have awesome blazers/sports coats. the new burberry flagship store also opened on regent street recently and the head tailor there is this cool asian dude who will help you out loads

What is the Gaf consensus on Perry Ellis? From what I hear the quality is hit or miss. I bought 2 shirts very cheap at Marshalls and they fit well so I am not too concerned how long they last. Still curious though.

I'm not sure about brogues with jeans.

Then again I'm just not sure about brogues. They've always looked silly to me.

wbsmcs

But, I haven't been on a "first date" in years...over 4? Because of my accident I'm not a recluse but I don't go out to clubs/parties since I'm in a electric wheelchair and it's hard to get around. So I justified this as some quality clothing that I can always add to and hopefully land me that successful first date next weekend

What do you guys think?

I have the same exact boots and I love them. They could go with anything and I'm happy to finally get out of the basketball/sneaker shoe everywhere I go phase.

Espresso

Banned
Does anyone own Lacoste and Brooks Brothers slim fit polos and can tell me if they're more or less similar in size? I'm considering jumping in on their 20% off deal today, but I don't own any Lacoste polos newer than the 1980s and the only shirts I own that I have a feeling might be comparable are BB.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think the only thing holding you back right now is your hair.

Yeah, tell me about it. My hair and the lack of things to do with it has been an issue for years for me. I have a bigger forehead so I need some bangs. It looks decent short, but just poofs up and sticks up all the time without some serious care. I've been too lazy to get a haircut, thus why it is long now.

I just have given up on it. I can't find anything to do with it that looks good on me, and doesn't require a ton of work so I can get out of the house in the AM.

Don't really like he blacks you (deadly) always seem to wear. Light Blue or white would be better imo

I think black shirts/darker stuff has been my go-to since I used to be a bit bigger and it hides weight more. Since I've now lost about 40 lbs I need to get myself out of that habit and trying some colors. I like how "sharp" black looks with tan and grey, but I think I just have that stuck in my head and need to change it up. Another issue was self-confidence. Unless someone can tell me "go buy this and wear it with that, it will look good on you specifically, not a model" I tend to relapse to darker colors with khaki or something. I'm always nervous to wear white because I think I'll spill something. :p

Thanks for any help you guys (Manshion gaf) can offer. I really am new at this. Should have seen me in my more hip-hop phase in HS and early college. (Wasn't as bad as you think, but it was baggy). :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom