• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alucrid, got any suggestions on places that are priced decently to buy some lighter colored slim fit button ups?

Bob, what in the hell should I do with my hair? :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I get my cheap ones at uniqlo

Good prices there, but they don't do online ordering it looks like. With me living in the middle of Iowa I tend to try J Crew or that other place in the mall I can't think of.

May be time for a Des Moines trip for clothing.

I did hit our outlet mall yesterday and got 3 pairs of the Banana Republic chinos that fit me well along with the Gap shirt I was wearing in the photo. Outlet is nice for pants and shoes, not a ton of shirts though.

Yeah, tell me about it. My hair and the lack of things to do with it has been an issue for years for me. I have a bigger forehead so I need some bangs. It looks decent short, but just poofs up and sticks up all the time without some serious care. I've been too lazy to get a haircut, thus why it is long now.

I just have given up on it. I can't find anything to do with it that looks good on me, and doesn't require a ton of work so I can get out of the house in the AM.
Dude, no.

I don't want to turn this into a hair thread, but you shouldn't just give up on your hair because you've yet to find what works for you. I was in a similar position back in March, just a generic cut, no styling, didn't really care. I went to a reputable barber (stylist works too) and he hooked me up with an awesome cut that really fit my personality/face, and it's dramatically changed not only my look, but my self-esteem. Think of your hair as another piece of your outfit, right now everything looks fine but that's really holding you back. You'd look way better with some styling of some sort.

As far as your question regarding colors, try navy blue. If you're afraid to try lighter colors, just branch out from black into other darks and gradually take it from there. Blue is great because there are so many different shades of it, you can literally find the exact one that works for you.

DKNY has a pretty solid cheap dress shirt. Macy's retails them at $60 but you can always find them for $30 on sales. For more casual I'd recommend J. Crew and Banana Republic.

Hope that helps.

E shop is supposed to open on late October or early nov
Good. I've been eyeing a down vest of theirs since forever.

Snakeyes

just ordered this jacket for 300. Its on its way but now i kinda want a rider jacket instead. Arggg what do you guys think?

I think it's a great pickup. Also, you never know when the rider's sideways zipper will start entering tacky territory while this one should remain wearable in any setting well into your 40s and beyond.

Alucrid

Banned
I think it's a great pickup. Also, you never know when the rider's sideways zipper will start entering tacky territory while this one should remain wearable in any setting well into your 40s and beyond.
Whatevs ill be some old Asian dude with shoulder length hair rocking my 4 zip minalmalist double rider

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dude, no.

I don't want to turn this into a hair thread, but you shouldn't just give up on your hair because you've yet to find what works for you. I was in a similar position back in March, just a generic cut, no styling, didn't really care. I went to a reputable barber (stylist works too) and he hooked me up with an awesome cut that really fit my personality/face, and it's dramatically changed not only my look, but my self-esteem. Think of your hair as another piece of your outfit, right now everything looks fine but that's really holding you back. You'd look way better with some styling of some sort.

As far as your question regarding colors, try navy blue. If you're afraid to try lighter colors, just branch out from black into other darks and gradually take it from there. Blue is great because there are so many different shades of it, you can literally find the exact one that works for you.

DKNY has a pretty solid cheap dress shirt. Macy's retails them at $60 but you can always find them for $30 on sales. For more casual I'd recommend J. Crew and Banana Republic.

Hope that helps.

Good. I've been eyeing a down vest of theirs since forever.

Thanks. You hit the issue spot on, it's the fact that I can't seem to find someone that does something new with my hair that I like, and that is easily maintained for a work morning. I did try two stylists a while back and both charged me way too much for what resulted in a haircut my old barber could have done. There are so many barbers and crappy chain places around here that it's hard to find a good stylist without wasting a bunch of money (and anguish) in the meantime.

I'll check out the shirt options for sure. I just need to get out and grab some. Ordering online is harder because I can't try it on, and I have an odd body type. I'll get down to Des Moines one of these weekends.

Speaking of Banana Republic, I did order this jacket this weekend. Solid reviews and I like the look.

br768330-00vliv01.jpg

Bossun

Thanks. You hit the issue spot on, it's the fact that I can't seem to find someone that does something new with my hair that I like, and that is easily maintained for a work morning. I did try two stylists a while back and both charged me way too much for what resulted in a haircut my old barber could have done. There are so many barbers and crappy chain places around here that it's hard to find a good stylist without wasting a bunch of money (and anguish) in the meantime.

I'll check out the shirt options for sure. I just need to get out and grab some. Ordering online is harder because I can't try it on, and I have an odd body type. I'll get down to Des Moines one of these weekends.

Speaking of Banana Republic, I did order this jacket this weekend. Solid reviews and I like the look.

That's a damn fine jacket. Perfectly my style.

I want this.

3.jpg

Cheap on ebay but the shipping doubles the price. Still not at large sum. Hopefully it looks like it does on the pictures, cheap asian quality aside! :p

Hair Mechanix in North Ames. Only place in Ames I could tolerate in college. I'm from Minneapolis so I always had good options at home, but at college was fucking awful. Hair Mechanix had some good girls when I was still in the town, I'd look into it. I look at that as a stylist/barber hybrid.

The salon place by the train tracks off Duff is the worst too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hair Mechanix in North Ames. Only place in Ames I could tolerate in college. I'm from Minneapolis so I always had good options at home, but at college was fucking awful. Hair Mechanix had some good girls when I was still in the town, I'd look into it. I look at that as a stylist/barber hybrid.

The salon place by the train tracks off Duff is the worst too.

Someone that knows the area! I'll check them out. Currently I just go to Bob's barber shop on Main Street in the same building as 105.1 radio station.

Went J Crew today looking for that shirt and it turns out not only was it on sale but the entire store is 25% off and I get a 15% student discount. I got 3 shirts for less than I would have paid for just one.

Are you sure your math is right?

It is because the shirts themselves were marked down from the original price of about 69.99 to 39.99 and below. One being marked all the way down to 19.99. This was before the 25% storewide discount and the 15% student discount. It was just one big pile of savings.

Alucrid

Banned
It is because the shirts themselves were marked down from the original price of about 69.99 to 39.99 and below. One being marked all the way down to 19.99. This was before the 25% storewide discount and the 15% student discount. It was just one big pile of savings.

Oh, okay gotcha.

Went J Crew today looking for that shirt and it turns out not only was it on sale but the entire store is 25% off and I get a 15% student discount. I got 3 shirts for less than I would have paid for just one.
Any idea if J. Crew normally offer a 15% student discount? Or is that just something for your area?

Any idea if J. Crew normally offer a 15% student discount? Or is that just something for your area?

I think it's normal as they have often asked me, despite not being a student, when I go shopping.

And not the fanciest jacket, but I'm planning on saving up for one.

MWX0018_web_0.jpg

Barbour Bedale jacket (leaning towards olive) and maybe I'll get a hood attachment, not sure. Fell in love with it when I tried it on at the store.

WedgeX

Banned
Any thoughts on where I may find a jacket similar to this? Material was wool + leather, I believe. Also, gaf thoughts on it?

iUzxC6DSbgDzE.jpg

I don't think I've ever heard a single positive story about someone ordering one of those Asian eBay jackets. From what I hear they never fit well and the quality is horrible.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
$1400 hahahahaha

Every time I go through my bookmarks I forget I didn't delete ssense.com with its retarded prices. Can't believe people pay for this shit.

edit: oh wow, $12000! Gotta be trolling, lol. $500 scarves, $450 sandals, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom