• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Alright, at the recommendation of Dr. Feel Good, I went to the stylist here in Ames and it was quite nice. Got a cute girl to do my hair (bonus) and they did the whole wash/massage and it was only a dollar more than my barber (except that I bought some paste).

Result:

Better?

Also, how is this outfit. I was thinking maybe the shirt is a bit too long untucked, but it's a nice Banana Republic button up and it's not black! :p

A lot better, but never slick your hair down. You should always try to pull up from the roots to lift upwards.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Angle makes it hard to pick on fit and stuff but I think the combo gels much much better.

Thanks. Yeah, my mirror is on a door, and there is a wall right behind me, hard to get a solid pic.

100% better all around, Cyclone. Combo looks much more put together and the haircut was a very good move.

Hard to tell from the angle, but the shirt does look a little long. You could probably get away with it, but it might looked better tucked in if you're into that. Regardless, glad to see you picked up some color.

I don't think I look good with shirts tucked into jeans. :p I like the shirt a lot, it's just a tad long.

A lot better, but never slick your hair down. You should always try to pull up from the roots to lift upwards.

Noted!

100% better all around, Cyclone. Combo looks much more put together and the haircut was a very good move.

Hard to tell from the angle, but the shirt does look a little long. You could probably get away with it, but it might looked better tucked in if you're into that. Regardless, glad to see you picked up some color.

I like when shirts run long but that's because I have a long frame so if it they don't get down to crotch level it looks awful with my long legs.

The duvet coat, which is yet another rehash lol

yeah all the menswear seems to be rehashed though for what it's worth i do like the coats. and yeah, i didn't realise those shoes didn't have real stitching for whatever bizarre reason. still, i doubt it'll be at a baller price since it's h&m right? hell if they do cheap boots i'll probably pick up a pair to get through the winter and spring

I think I'm going to buy proper boots tomorrow. Something like this:

http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/spend/boots-for-fall

But I'm not sure if they will go with my jeans, which are on the baggy side. Damn, I need to overhaul my entire wardrobe, I'm tired of the sloppy student style. But where do you start? Shoes, trousers, shirts? And I'm not even sure what my style is.. damn.

Wearing those Red Wing Beckmans right now. So comfortable!

spicy cho

How do naked and famous skinny guys compare to say, the Levi's 510? I only wear black stretch jeans and I'm wondering if they're worth it.

coldvein

Banned
omg YOU GUYS!!! i just got that groupon watch in the mail finally, teh one with the grey band. it doesn't even look silly on my wrist. this is a big day. now i just need to figure out how to wind it and set the time or whatever.

dralla

new boots came today, courtesy of jackthreads. pretty much exactly what I was looking for

jgUAb3tNmOH1h.jpg

only 60 bucks. feels good man, usually when I see shoes/boots on JT I want they don't have my size.

eventually I'd like to get a pair of red wings, but they're a little out of my price range atm.

bowery

stop bargain hunting with groupon/jackthread/gilt/myhabit etc and save up for reputable designer stuff quality vs quantity

bowery

haha i mean like use the money you would normally spend on say 5 deals for like 5 articles of bargain clothing to get one full price nice piece of clothing that will last you longer to have an overall small and higher quality collection of clothes rather than a lot of mediocre things

stop bargain hunting with groupon/jackthread/gilt/myhabit etc and save up for reputable designer stuff quality vs quantity
I get where you are coming from, but some dudes can only get cheaper stuff period, and gilt/myhabit/yoox sometimes have legit goods for cray prices, so I wouldn't dismiss those sites out of hand.

mblitek

Fashion dudes, date tomorrow. So underneath my v-neck sweater I'm wearing a longsleeve button-up. Should I have the tails of the shirt poking out from underneath the bottom of the sweater? What about the collar?

Fashion dudes, date tomorrow. So underneath my v-neck sweater I'm wearing a longsleeve button-up. Should I have the tails of the shirt poking out from underneath the bottom of the sweater? What about the collar?

You mean like this?
debatetunderbuttonsweater.jpg

Update on the naked and famous pair. Waist has loosened but calves and thighs still tight. I'm gonna keep them on as much as possible at home to keep the loosening going.

Visceir

Obviousloy no t-shirt under the shirt like in the picture above. Shirt poking out seems more youthful to me and I often feel much too formal with the shirt tucked in. Guess it's more of a personal preference though. I usually make sure the shirt collar is tucked into the sweater and not all loose and out crazy like the pic above. In short -- do everything the opposite of what's in the pic above.

Obviousloy no t-shirt under the shirt like in the picture above. Shirt poking out seems more youthful to me and I often feel much too formal with the shirt tucked in. Guess it's more of a personal preference though. And I usually make sure the shirt collar is tucked into the sweater and not all loose and crazy like the pic above. In short -- do everything the opposite of what's in the pic above.

I'm trying to a find a picture of a guy whose got his collars coming over his sweater where it doesn't look bad. Seems like it's not possible.

6345.jpg

NMN1WUG_mx.jpg

129012928_6abfa44892.jpg

I took this as you wondering if the bottom of your shirt should be tucked in, not the collars. If so, then yes, tuck it in. If it comes out naturally as the night goes on, so be it. Being natural, it won't look out of place. When you try and replicate that look is when you look off.

This of course, depends entirely on the length of your shirt as well. If it's short like the 2nd picture MiD posted above, it can work.

Update on the naked and famous pair. Waist has loosened but calves and thighs still tight. I'm gonna keep them on as much as possible at home to keep the loosening going.
In my experience, the waist is what loosens the most. The calves and thighs wont loosen a whole lot (maybe a little depending on the cut). Granted, this is with Weird Guy cuts, but I imagine it's pretty similar across the board.

Visceir

I took this as you wondering if the bottom of your shirt should be tucked in, not the collars. If so, then yes, tuck it in. If it comes out naturally as the night goes on, so be it. Being natural, it won't look out of place. When you try and replicate that look is when you look off.

I started talking about the collar because of the picture that was posted. Chances are he would need input on that too. I personally don't take dates very seriously and try to leave a casual impression. If it's a more classy date then just suit up or atleast wear a nice suitjacket and ditch the sweater. If it's a business meeting I'd keep my shirt tucked in, if it's a date I don't tuck in my shirt and I usually have my sleeves pulled up anyway. Again, just personal preferences.

Quick and dirty (the mirror that is):

mblitek

I started talking about the collar because of the picture that was posted. Chances are he would need input on that too. I personally don't take dates very seriously and try to leave a casual impression. If it's a more classy date then just suit up or atleast wear a nice suitjacket and ditch the sweater. If it's a business meeting I'd keep my shirt tucked in, if it's a date I don't tuck in my shirt and I usually have my sleeves pulled up anyway. Again, just personal preferences.

Agreed. Seeing as how it's f#cking cold here I'm keeping sleeves down. Is it too much if my watch Rolex "Pepsi" matches the gingham check of the shirt?

Whoops, Picture of said watch:

bob page

haha i mean like use the money you would normally spend on say 5 deals for like 5 articles of bargain clothing to get one full price nice piece of clothing that will last you longer to have an overall small and higher quality collection of clothes rather than a lot of mediocre things

Except one's style tends to change a bit every year so it's pointless for me to drop hundreds/thousands on a couple designer items that I'll only wear for a year.

The stuff on myhabit/Gilt/etc are a good middleground where the quality and price are reasonable enough for me drop without having buyers remorse.

Alucrid

Banned
NOOOOOO

Well maybe I'm a large now.

Getting to that dad size :p

Designer labels are usually just overpriced crap. Buy quality, well-made pieces however you can.

Wat

Except one's style tends to change a bit every year so it's pointless for me to drop hundreds/thousands on a couple designer items that I'll only wear for a year.

The stuff on myhabit/Gilt/etc are a good middleground where the quality and price are reasonable enough for me drop without having buyers remorse.

So your style only changes a bit but a nice designer piece is only wearable for a year?

Annnnnnyways. Silent is going up on Myhabit Tuesday.

Yeah but see the size of your shirt is what works there. If it gets too long, it looks off. Regardless, I agree with you entirely. It's all about personal preference.

Agreed. Seeing as how it's f#cking cold here I'm keeping sleeves down. Is it too much if my watch Rolex "Pepsi" matches the gingham check of the shirt?

Whoops, Picture of said watch:
I don't think it would be too much. Especially if you have a sweater covering the majority of your shirt for most of the night.

Designer labels are usually just overpriced crap. Buy quality, well-made pieces however you can.
If you mean that designer clothing doesn't necessarily mean quality, then yes, I agree.

But to say that designer clothing in general is overpriced crap is astonishing. Sure, it's expensive, but the workmanship in many of those articles is far and away better than what you'll find anywhere else. Don't even get me started on suits.

mblitek

think of us while you're getting laid

Well, it'll be shitty knowing my clothes weren't responsible... I feel like if I get one more chance all will be good to lead to more dates.

I have some crappy iPad2 pics I took tonight to show you guys. Then next time you can recommend better.

high five!
Hah, no hate, just is what it is.

fuck that, plenty of hate! armani exchange is fucking shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom