• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
n1MDt.jpg

Red Wing Beckman - Got them about a month ago, absolutely love them!

Marcs Leather Brogue - Was AU$159, on sale for AU$50. Bargain!

Perhaps a stupid question, but what's the best way to lace up my Red Wing boots? Stumbled upon this neat site that diagrams 37 different ways to lace a shoe. Is the typical criss cross method the way to go?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Having hair issues today. I usually never use products, so using this paste with my new haircut (as shown last week) is hit or miss. I can't quite get the messy look the stylist got (without an extra set of hands).

My bangs are what bother me, they look like spaghetti strands with product in them at times. :p

They have a couple of the quilted chambray work shirts at Barney's downtown. Seem nice enough for the price* tho not my thing.

*especially alongside $600 givenchy shirts lulz

Zekes!

I've never tried any Naked & Famous shirts, but I've been meaning to. Once Jay at Blueowl restocks their chambrays in my size I'll definitely bite, I need a decent one.

Yeah I'm not sure why I put it off for so long. The cardigan I have by them is fantastic as well; I just found out they still have them on tate+yoko so I think I'm gonna get a second one eventually

Alucrid

Banned
I wish I was interested in a pair of high tops sooner cause then I might've been able to cop these. it hurts just looking at them

Z7r7Vl.jpg

Pepboy

What's the consensus on ~$500 suits: Trying on decent brands in store and having it adjusted versus having one made-to-fit from overseas (e.g. indochino.com)?

Thanks in advance!

coldvein

Banned
seriously tho i dig the color of them wine hi tops. i just dont think i can rock the hi top giant tongue style. just looks ridiculous imo. if they were lower they would be perfect for me.

Depends on where you shop. But at $500 retail, they aren't going to be particularly well put together, so get the best fit possible before adjustments. And do not believe anyone who says they can make a shoulder fit better. That's your cue to exit the building.

Re indochino etc, I dunno if I would recommend them to a first time suit buyer, since you probably don't have a good feel for your measurements etc. I've seen really good fits come from that kind of thing, and I've also seen really bad ones.

seriously tho i dig the color of them wine hi tops. i just dont think i can rock the hi top giant tongue style. just looks ridiculous imo. if they were lower they would be perfect for me.
They come in lows too

http://1980andbeyond.com/balenciaga-autumnwinter-2012-contrast-panel-trainer/

Will hurt the wallet like a mothefucker. Dope shoes tho, my balenciaga glowies are pretty comfortable too.

Those Balenciaga sneakers are sick. Can't justify the price personally, but if I could I'd be all over them.

What's the consensus on ~$500 suits: Trying on decent brands in store and having it adjusted versus having one made-to-fit from overseas (e.g. indochino.com)?

Thanks in advance!
You can definitely get a decent, well fitting suit for around $500 (Calvin Klein, J Crew, Banana Republic, etc). Ideally, if you're wearing the size you should be, you shouldn't have to do too many alterations. Definitely agree with mac about the shoulders. Shoulders are the one thing a tailor can't fix, so make sure they fit appropriately before you purchase anything. I've learned the hard way unfortunately, it's really just money down the drain.

Can't speak on made-to-match suits as I don't have any experience with them, but I wouldn't step into that territory till you know 100% what your sizing/dimensions are and what kind of fit you need.

J crew has really stepped up their suits recently. The fits are a lot better and the fabric choices are generally classier than most of thier price point peers.certainly beats men's wearhouse.

And yeah, I learned the hard way about shoulders too. The silhouette kind of improved, but the sleeves nev hung correctly and the shoulder was softened due to the padding being hacked up a bit. This was an old jil sander eBay suit, and they have practically no shoulder padding at all, and I could still tell. Oh well this was years ago, lesson learned.

J crew has really stepped up their suits recently. The fits are a lot better and the fabric choices are generally classier than most of thier price point peers.certainly beats men's wearhouse.

And yeah, I learned the hard way about shoulders too. The silhouette kind of improved, but the sleeves nev hung correctly and the shoulder was softened due to the padding being hacked up a bit. This was an old jil sander eBay suit, and they have practically no shoulder padding at all, and I could still tell. Oh well this was years ago, lesson learned.
For around the same price, Banana Republic has some pretty nice suits as well. Pretty much along the same lines as J Crew quality wise. I was impressed.

And yeah, I'm pretty much about to throw out/donate a handful of my suits because they don't fit well, particularly in the shoulders. I bought them years ago before I knew anything about buying a suit and I really wish I hadn't. Had essentially been buying 42 when I'm really a 40. Sucks. Oh well, I kind of welcome the idea of starting from scratch... my wallet doesn't though.

Pepboy

You can definitely get a decent, well fitting suit for around $500 (Calvin Klein, J Crew, Banana Republic, etc). Ideally, if you're wearing the size you should be, you shouldn't have to do too many alterations. Definitely agree with mac about the shoulders. Shoulders are the one thing a tailor can't fix, so make sure they fit appropriately before you purchase anything. I've learned the hard way unfortunately, it's really just money down the drain.

Can't speak on made-to-match suits as I don't have any experience with them, but I wouldn't step into that territory till you know 100% what your sizing/dimensions are and what kind of fit you need.

Depends on where you shop. But at $500 retail, they aren't going to be particularly well put together, so get the best fit possible before adjustments. And do not believe anyone who says they can make a shoulder fit better. That's your cue to exit the building.

Re indochino etc, I dunno if I would recommend them to a first time suit buyer, since you probably don't have a good feel for your measurements etc. I've seen really good fits come from that kind of thing, and I've also seen really bad ones.

Thanks for replies! I will focus on trying out suits and maybe experiment with an indochina for 2nd or 3rd suit. If I get something I enjoy maybe I'll come back with a picture. :)

bowery

Enron

Banned

Thanks in advance!

Catch a Brooks Bros sale event - lots of OTR suiting in the 350-600 dollar price range after tailoring.

Don't even bother with a dept store.

What's the consensus on Topman? Nordstrom made a big deal about featuring them in their stores now, but I don't actually know anything about the brand, other than it's affordable.

Anybody have any information/experience with their clothing?

Catch a Brooks Bros sale event - lots of OTR suiting in the 350-600 dollar price range after tailoring.

Don't even bother with a dept store.
Yah, forgot about brooks.

What's the consensus on Topman? Nordstrom made a big deal about featuring them in their stores now, but I don't actually know anything about the brand, other than it's affordable.

I dont get where the hype for this brand is coming from... Some of it is ok, but my god they need to delete those carrot pants. Holy shit.

kudos.

Saw these on reddit.

v5gALh.jpg

They're supposedly Clark Desert Boots Grey Leather but with Sno-Seal and some wearing. They look nothing like all the other pictures I've seen though.
Linky

Top man is pure trash. I have no idea why company's would want to import it.

None of it fits well,it's poorly made and appeals to past trends.
For example they are hammering shite Christmas jumpers and others with awful designs as "good" stuff right now.
They also make stuff like Hot Topic is it? Tv show people on tshirts and jumpers.

Strangely the stuff I see in Topshop (woman's version) with my gf is a lot nicer.

I don't like top man much as you can tell..H&M is better to give you an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom