• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

Dave Inc. said:
JFK was the president so he could do what he damn-well pleased--that being said he probably would have looked better in that suit jacket with the bottom button un-done. Gianni Agnelli though, holy shit the watch over the shirt thing looks absolutely retarded. That's a clear "I have to wear a suit, but how can I still cry out 'Look at me! Look at me!'" look and it's just stupid, come on now.
JFK: There are certain suits where the style is meant to be buttoned all the way. Those were of that type of suit jacket. There is also a picture of him and his brothers where they have the buttons all done.

Gianni: He was allergic to the metals used in particular watches so they were worn over his shirt cuff...

Desi said:
JFK: There are certain suits where the style is meant to be buttoned all the way. Those were of that type of suit jacket. There is also a picture of him and his brothers where they have the buttons all done.

Gianni: He was allergic to the metals used in particular watches so they were worn over his shirt cuff...
I didn't know that about the suits, but something about that jacket makes the bottom button look like it's straining against the fabric in an unflattering way. And if Gianni is allergic to the metals in the watch he should just order one without said metals, he's the CEO of FIAT, he can afford it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can someone recommend basic tees?

American apparel is okay, but the transition between small-medium sizes is too ridiculous haha.

Also, where does everyone buy their levi's? UO's prices are awful.

shas'la

Fash GAF, help me! I'm seeking the name of these trainers, if anyone is familiar with this style name maybe that will be enough for me to search for them, looking for " grey adidas trainers" is not exactly working out for me..

vom23.jpg

I've tried a number of basic and not-so-basic tees, and I have fallen back to Hanes Comfort fit for my standard everyday shit with a few 'baller' tees here and there. The Hanes only come in greyscale though, so if you want some variety try Alternative Apparel. I used to wear American Apparel a lot in the past but their QC has taken a noticeable drop IMO.

Sean2 said:
Can someone recommend basic tees?

American apparel is okay, but the transition between small-medium sizes is too ridiculous haha.

target is not bad for some premium hanes shirts. their mossimo athletic fit tees and v-necks are pretty awesome.

i get my levi's either online or at kohl's, since either of which are bound to have a sale on 511s.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sean2 said:

Levi's.com? I always have problems with sizing through their site though, so you might want to buy them in a regular store so you can try them on.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Can anyone recommend me a brand cheaper than Ralph Lauren that has a similar preppy style and is respected? Express covers me for polos and pants, but I've never gotten a shirt from there that fits me. Either the sleeves are too long or the chest is too tight. Ralph Lauren is perfect in pretty much every way, but damned expensive.

I'm thinking J. Crew, so I'm heading there on my way back from work, but I'd like other suggestions if anyone has any.

bob page

BobsRevenge said:
Can anyone recommend me a brand cheaper than Ralph Lauren that has a similar preppy style and is respected? Express covers me for polos and pants, but I've never gotten a shirt from there that fits me. Either the sleeves are too long or the chest is too tight. Ralph Lauren is perfect in pretty much every way, but damned expensive.

I'm thinking J. Crew, so I'm heading there on my way back from work, but I'd like other suggestions if anyone has any.
Banana Republic?

Desi

J.Crew is pretty much the same price as Polo RL. Lands End/Lands End Canvas maybe? American Apparel has things that fit into a preppy look now, still not super cheap.

Flek

Banned
shas'la said:
Fash GAF, help me! I'm seeking the name of these trainers, if anyone is familiar with this style name maybe that will be enough for me to search for them, looking for " grey adidas trainers" is not exactly working out for me..

vom23.jpg

hightops !?

Rocksteady33

Desi said:
J.Crew is pretty much the same price as Polo RL. Lands End/Lands End Canvas maybe? American Apparel has things that fit into a preppy look now, still not super cheap.

J.Crew does offer a lot of online promotions though, such as there factory online store open on the weekends, and promotional emails that take a lot off sale items. I'd look into those.

I'm lucky because for whatever reason my mother loves J.Crew and always buys me clothes from there because she likes the look so much.

Dave Inc. said:
This is your example for wearing white socks with loafers?

Dude, the white sock and loafers thing is a symbol of them not trying too hard. Barring one guy with socks droopy as fuck, they all look great because they exude a sense of style that is hard to accomplish, one that says "I don't give a shit; I go to an Ivy School." Just like that, no one should be able to pull the shorts with socks with loafers look today. And please don't use the word couture to tarnish something as charming as Take Ivy.

Look, what I'm trying to say that he wore those socks for a reason. He probably didn't go out of his house and notice that his socks don't match the colour of his pants oh no he broke the rules (!) but he'll take a picture anyway, hoping no one will notice. Also, he probably did notice considering the care he puts into complimenting (not match, that usually only works for the ladies) the leather trim of his bag with his shoes, accent the shirt with the little dots on his pocket square, and all around go for a whole earthy tone thing. Maybe he chose to socks because he couldn't have enough cream from his jacket? Or maybe because they're so close to the colour of his skin that he said yeah sure? That's his style, man. Why do we need to point out that socks should match (once again, most men don't match their colours; they compliment them/use a similar shade) the trousers? How long will we keep pointing out the rules until everyone just wears a navy/charcoal suit, losing all sense of individuality and personal style? What will happen to then?

I'm not trying to piss you off or anything; I'm just stating my point of view in the matter.

DominoKid

shas'la said:

vom23.jpg

Adidas Attitude High i do believe.

not as well versed w/ Adidas as I am w/ Nike/Jordan

fisheyes

shas'la said:

vom23.jpg

Adidas SW? (or Adidas Skywalker, it would seem)

I have a pair of the Adidas Star Wars Skywalker shoes (the ones made to look like Luke's Pilot suit) and they're the same basic shoe, as far as I can tell.

Snakeyes said:
Any other brands?
off the top of my head no, but maybe bluefly or another off-season discounter? Now that I'm poking around, Asos has some stuff in that price range and style.

Just avoid something like Wilson's leather :D

So need a new suit (not had one for years now) and I spent a few hours trawling town.
Got my gf to take some pics of the one suit I did like and wanted gafs thoughts (will point out that im not posing but she took like 30pics while I was walking around the dressing room)

I look abit of a state and I know for sure the trousers need re-hemming as for a 32-32 they are fucking massive in the legs for some reason.

This is the actual color as the pics makes it look black.
255659_main

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

hard to see based on angles, but it looks just a bit wide (lapels and collar are a bit loose against your body); did you try the next size lower? It definitely isn't awful.

What is on the back of the collar in that mirror shot... it looks like a black napkin :p

Alucrid

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
hard to see based on angles, but it looks just a bit wide (lapels and collar are a bit loose against your body); did you try the next size lower? It definitely isn't awful.

What is on the back of the collar in that mirror shot... it looks like a black napkin :p

Well pretty much all suits need to be tailored after you buy it , unless you get it mtm by a local guy.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is there some rule regarding whether or not someone can/should pull off v necks, or is that just personal preference?

-was at target about to buy a bunch of mossimo basics, and realized I did not have a clue which looked better on me.

A good way to test the size of a suit jacket is to button up the top button, grab that button and pull the suit out in front of you, not too hard. The gap created between your stomach and the suit is all the excess fabric from the shoulders and waist of the jacket. You want the gap to be quite small, 2 inches.

Also, if you're British have you tried TKMaxx? It can be a bit of a trial looking through the racks but I've bought a couple of Holland Esquire suits, a Hugo Boss suit, and a Pal Zileri jacket! Each for less than £100. The Pal Zileri jacket I like so much I ended up buying a full suit; Navy blue, double breasted.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
macuser1of5 said:
If you're taking basic v's it doesn't matter, try one of each and see what you like.

Yeah I tried white crew's and v's, and couldn't decide. The V looked great because it is really short, (I HATE long v's, hence my disapproval of American Apparel). Yet, the crew looked more simple.

Probably going with the v necks...

Desi

macuser1of5 said:
sensor tag, so he wont' run out of the store.

Hope that tie is just for show because man is it short.

Sean2 said:
Yeah I tried white crew's and v's, and couldn't decide. The V looked great because it is really short, (I HATE long v's, hence my disapproval of American Apparel). Yet, the crew looked more simple.

Probably going with the v necks...

still at target? i have like 8 of their mossimo v-necks in their athletic fit. such a good deal and fit for a basic shirt. i was able to get some short sleeved henleys (same style) for 4 bucks each thanks to clearance.

SRG01

bob page said:
Zara, Uniqlo, Banana Republic.

No Uniqlos around here. I used to like BNR, but their collections as of late are horrid. It's like their entire line went hipster-chic or something. I've tried Zara a couple of times, but the colors/textures didn't really suit me.

I should add that I'm a college instructor, so I'm going for business casual.

Visceir said:
You're probably best off just googling for "I saw the devil jacket", I saw a few links with some discussion about it.

It's probably a big mistake but I think I'm going to order a jacket I saw on ebay, this light-brown one:
leatherjacket.jpg

It costs just 60$, so I'll set my expectations accordingly, haha.

Can I get a link to that dark brown one?

Sean2 said:
Is there some rule regarding whether or not someone can/should pull off v necks, or is that just personal preference?

-was at target about to buy a bunch of mossimo basics, and realized I did not have a clue which looked better on me.
The best V-neck undershirts are Nautica. The V is close to the throat. They are pretty cheap at Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Ross.

adamsappel said:
The best V-neck undershirts are Nautica. The V is close to the throat. They are pretty cheap at Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Ross.
Thanks for that. Been looking for high V's, so I'll check those stores out this weekend.

Wanted to change up my bag buying habits and ended up picking this up to use for work:

P1010656.jpg

Been using it for a few days and I'm liking it very much.

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to add both the shirt and jacket had stupidly large security tags clamped on the neck.
Its one thing that really pisses me off about River Island which is a shame as they are my go to highstreet shop.
I did try TK.Maxx but the selection was rubbish at my local :/ I'm going up to London for someones birthday this weekend so on the sunday I may head to the much larger river island to see what they have to offer.

Oh and yeah the tie was pre done on the shirt I just lossened it and slung it over my head :p it was just to get an idea of the overal look aha

bob page

adamsappel said:
Uniqlo and H&M's standard v-necks aren't very low either. I'm not a fan of low-lying douche necks, but I'm very comfortable with the fit from those two places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom