• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
are there any good looking men knee high boots(or close) that men have that dont look like they're for girls? not no weather-proof mountain shit.

Do you plan to go for something like this?:
kbook1.jpg

Not really seeing a young person pulling knee-high boots off...ever

jts

...hate me...
Can I get some advice on men bracelets? I want something on my wrist. Not a watch though.

Jake. said:
no they don't.
Well they have to match something, and I suppose them matching the jacket may work but I feel like it should match something that's equal in scale. Like matching the sock to the little thing in his jacket pocket or something, not the jacket itself.

The standard rule is to match the sock to the pant, only the bold and brave should deviate.

Ptaaty

Enron said:
They can also be darker than the pant. However, if you have socks that are much lighter/brighter than the color of your pants, that is jarring.

I'll also match the shoe as last resort.

I am not a style guy but my basics are shoes and belt match, socks that match shoe or pants or darker.

I buy fairly cheap - as in costco, but make sure it is my size. Clothes that fit is one of the most important things. I don't understand the trend to essentially wear one size small with skinny jeans and snug tops, basically like a typical trend of overcompensating.

Yeah, that's the rule, but honestly, fuck rules. I think it looks great in a way that it connects the two colours of the jean and the loafer together. Plus, that's what all the Ivy league kids wore with their loafers (white tube socks), but I prefer an off-white/pale yellow version

latinlikeaviolin said:
Yeah, that's the rule, but honestly, fuck rules. I think it looks great in a way that it connects the two colours of the jean and the loafer together. Plus, that's what all the Ivy league kids wore with their loafers (white tube socks), but I prefer an off-white/pale yellow version
This is what you should never do. In fact, just don't ever wear white socks unless you're at the gym.

Enron

Banned
latinlikeaviolin said:

With loafers I'd just go sockless. Especially if the rest of what im wearing borders on casual. Unless it's cold out.

Dave Inc. said:
This is what you should never do. In fact, just don't ever wear white socks unless you're at the gym.

With loafers, they look great. In my experience, they're the best looking colour sock with a loafer by a mile. When the Ivy League kids were doing it, they usually wore it with chinos, thereby following the rule that their socks should be lighter than their pants (y'know to extend the length of the leg and all that stuff). However, there are some pictured that wore their socks with shorts, and they still looked great.

Why am I bringing this up? Because the rules aren't as steadfast as some perceive them to be. Though to never button the bottom button of your jacket? JFK didn't do it. Or how about wear your watch on your wrist? The late Gianni Agnelli, the head of Fiat, said screw that. You see, the rules are not arbitrary, they were never meant to be; they should be a guideline for developing your own sense of how to dress yourself.

The guy with the "jarring" socks looks great and he sure knows how to dress himself. The colour palette of his jacket and shirt work well with his skin tone while his pants, pocket square, socks, and shoes provide enough contrast so as to keep the outfit lively. A lighter colour sock would not work so well because it disregards the deep brown patina of the shoe and it would take away from the earthy tones of his jacket. He probably opted out of the matching sock (matching with his pants) because it could make his bottom half seem too safe. He knows how to break the rules when needed in order for his own personal sense of style to come forth. Would his picture have been circulated around the internet (or even taken) if he wore a longer sports coat, trousers instead of jeans, navy socks, and a leather briefcase? Probably not. Like him, develop your own sense of style. Don't dress for rule's sake; dress for you own sake. After all, the second you start dressing with the rules is the second you decide to put a costume on.

bob page

Hieberrr said:
Does anybody know where I can find a pair of shoes like this?
http://www.thebay.com/eng/mens-Slim_Fit_514_trade__Jeans-thebay/197850

I cant seem to find it on the site itself. I also don't want to spend more than 130. These are going to be winter shoes for the next couple of years.
It's pretty terrible and I would sell it if I received it as a gift. If it were a button down shirt, it would be fine... but a blazer? Good God.

Sappy113

I don't know if it has a whole lot to do with fashion, but I need some light-weight hoodies. Not heavy, woollen winter ones, but some fairly thin ones, usable over the summer as well. Any suggestions, Gaf?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Sappy113 said:
I don't know if it has a whole lot to do with fashion, but I need some light-weight hoodies. Not heavy, woollen winter ones, but some fairly thin ones, usable over the summer as well. Any suggestions, Gaf?

American Apparel or Alternative Apparel

bob page

Ermac said:
American Apparel or Alternative Apparel
AA or Urban Outfitters have some light-weight hoodies for $30-40 (both are basically the same). I pity the fool who pays more for a hoodie.

Alucrid

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
yeah I think alt apparel has linen hoodies. some higher end labels have them too but who wants to pay $100+ for a hoodie?

A hoodie made out of Merino Wool is definitely worth the price point.

Hieberrr

bob page said:
It's pretty terrible and I would sell it if I received it as a gift. If it were a button down shirt, it would be fine... but a blazer? Good God.

:lol, I think you're quoting the wrong person :p

bob page

Hieberrr said:
:lol, I think you're quoting the wrong person :p
Haha, my bad- that was supposed to be for that Jake Spade creation. Speaking of Jack Spade, why is it so popular now? The bags aren't even that great and they're a couple hundred bucks.

they have a modern look at a decent pricepoint (more than kmart, less than saks). kenneth cole had that same deal about a decade ago, kind of an entry-level intro brand into caring about style. I had no idea jack spade made clothing.

fwiw kate spade's shoes (women) are made in italy and pretty good for the money. basic but effective everyday stuff.

bob page

macuser1of5 said:
they have a modern look at a decent pricepoint (more than kmart, less than saks). kenneth cole had that same deal about a decade ago, kind of an entry-level intro brand into caring about style. I had no idea jack spade made clothing.

fwiw kate spade's shoes (women) are made in italy and pretty good for the money. basic but effective everyday stuff.
I see Jack Spade messenger bags all the time in the city but when I checked them out, they look pretty sparse and bland on the inside. I definitely wouldn't be comfortable sticking my laptop in there with the lack of padding/lining.

I have a bag from Matt & Nat and love it:
http://www.zappos.com/product/7740003/color/3

Zilch

Banned
Perhaps I should post this in the denim thread, but I got a pair of APC New Cures yesterday, my first pair of raw denim. Guess I'm gonna break them in a bit at home after work and then get them hemmed. Love how they look.

fat pat

Zilch said:
Perhaps I should post this in the denim thread, but I got a pair of APC New Cures yesterday, my first pair of raw denim. Guess I'm gonna break them in a bit at home after work and then get them hemmed. Love how they look.

watch how far you hem them. youll lose at least a 1/2 inch when you finally get around to washing them.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I would like to get a jacket similar to the one the main character in "I Saw The Devil" wears, but I cannot decide if it is not realistic to wear day in day out. I live in the US, but I am moving to Tokyo for at least 6 months in December. I really like the style, but not necessarily the leather. I have a similar build to the character in that movie. I would love to post a picture of it, but I am at work until 4. If it would be ok to wear out, then could someone point me in the direction of one? Or tell me what the style is called so I know what I am searching for?

Visceir

adam.chance said:
I would like to get a jacket similar to the one the main character in "I Saw The Devil" wears, but I cannot decide if it is not realistic to wear day in day out. I live in the US, but I am moving to Tokyo for at least 6 months in December. I really like the style, but not necessarily the leather. I have a similar build to the character in that movie. I would love to post a picture of it, but I am at work until 4. If it would be ok to wear out, then could someone point me in the direction of one? Or tell me what the style is called so I know what I am searching for?

You're probably best off just googling for "I saw the devil jacket", I saw a few links with some discussion about it.

It's probably a big mistake but I think I'm going to order a jacket I saw on ebay, this light-brown one:
leatherjacket.jpg

It costs just 60$, so I'll set my expectations accordingly, haha.

bob page

Visceir said:
You're probably best off just googling for "I saw the devil jacket", I saw a few links with some discussion about it.

It's probably a big mistake but I think I'm going to order a jacket I saw on ebay, this light-brown one:
leatherjacket.jpg

The dark brown one isn't bad. Just prepare for it to smell like a chemical spill when it arrives.

I've decided to slowly junk my cheap work wardrobe in favor of some new shit. I'm realizing as much as I like red, beiges and others colors on other people I'm more or less a b&w dude (well I guess dark blue and a pinch of brown too) in this area. I have a pair of dark brown testonis I've worn maybe 20 times in 5 years. :/

Snakeyes

Do you guys have any suggestions on a fairly cheap ($200-$400) but well-made jacket? I probably won't be able to afford quality leathers for at least another year or two.

Snakeyes said:
Do you guys have any suggestions on a fairly cheap ($200-$400) but well-made jacket? I probably won't be able to afford quality leathers for at least another year or two.
Any examples of what you are looking for?

latinlikeaviolin said:
With loafers, they look great. In my experience, they're the best looking colour sock with a loafer by a mile. When the Ivy League kids were doing it, they usually wore it with chinos, thereby following the rule that their socks should be lighter than their pants (y'know to extend the length of the leg and all that stuff). However, there are some pictured that wore their socks with shorts, and they still looked great.

This is your example for wearing white socks with loafers? Really? Nearly all of those looks look absolutely ridiculous and remind me of someone tucking a t-shirt into their jeans without a belt. It's basically Mother-isn't-around-I'll-wear-what-I-like couture. And the cases where the outfit works? They're wearing a light-colored khaki with white socks, which is close to keeping with the matching socks rule.

The black pants, white socks, black loafers look I'm on the fence about, but I think that's because it looks like they were going for a specific style, and the white sock with the high hem on the pant makes the ankle area pop (edit: in an otherwise conservative look).

Why am I bringing this up? Because the rules aren't as steadfast as some perceive them to be. Though to never button the bottom button of your jacket? JFK didn't do it. Or how about wear your watch on your wrist? The late Gianni Agnelli, the head of Fiat, said screw that. You see, the rules are not arbitrary, they were never meant to be; they should be a guideline for developing your own sense of how to dress yourself.

JFK was the president so he could do what he damn-well pleased--that being said he probably would have looked better in that suit jacket with the bottom button un-done. Gianni Agnelli though, holy shit the watch over the shirt thing looks absolutely retarded. That's a clear "I have to wear a suit, but how can I still cry out 'Look at me! Look at me!'" look and it's just stupid, come on now.

The guy with the "jarring" socks looks great and he sure knows how to dress himself. The colour palette of his jacket and shirt work well with his skin tone while his pants, pocket square, socks, and shoes provide enough contrast so as to keep the outfit lively. A lighter colour sock would not work so well because it disregards the deep brown patina of the shoe and it would take away from the earthy tones of his jacket. He probably opted out of the matching sock (matching with his pants) because it could make his bottom half seem too safe. He knows how to break the rules when needed in order for his own personal sense of style to come forth. Would his picture have been circulated around the internet (or even taken) if he wore a longer sports coat, trousers instead of jeans, navy socks, and a leather briefcase? Probably not. Like him, develop your own sense of style. Don't dress for rule's sake; dress for you own sake. After all, the second you start dressing with the rules is the second you decide to put a costume on.

The only part I don't like about the guy's outfit are the socks. They are, without a doubt, the wrong color for the outfit. He has a good look but the socks draw too much attention away from the rest of his outfit. It throws off the balance and I feel like I'd end up staring at the guy's socks instead of paying attention to anything he were saying if we had a conversation.

I will give you that the jacket does lend some balance to the outfit, but what if he had to take the jacket off for a minute? Now he's just a weirdo in a white shirt, dark jeans and tan socks--how dumb would that look?

Xun

Visceir said:

leatherjacket.jpg

That's a damn nice jacket.

Currently looking for a jacket like this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know! From the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom