• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a guy wear a cable-knit trench? Designers seem to focus them mainly at women, but I sort of fell in love with one -- in a grey-ish purple color, no less.

Not sure I even care if I'd be allowed to rock something like this since it's pretty swell and fashion rulez r dum.
pics?

Zekes!

Didn't buy it yet, but will probably do so on in between school and work tomorrow. Worth taking a chance on, I think.

Also got inspired to try doing something with a sweater after seeing some pics in the kpop thread, haha. We'll see how it turns out...

I was actually looking at some of the women's open cardigans at my work, so you might push me to actually try them out.

1514932-6-crisp-white-trench.jpg

This on a guy, but in purple? Let me see the pics.

Davidion

Does anyone know a good place to grab a thin, light overcoat, preferably with a hood? Been fawning over some of the Nicholas K stuff from a while back but never grabbed this one coat that I liked.

420x560.jpg

depends on your $ budget, but i'm quite fond of mauro grifoni, for instance. good slim fits, tailoring and construction that matches a lot of much pricier labels. not cheap, but definitely a good value. i could list a few more. g750g, golden goose, tonello, brian dales, pringle of scotland, patrizia pepe, etc. depends on what you're looking for, there are, as you mention, a shitload of random stuff on there.

depends on your $ budget, but i'm quite fond of mauro grifoni, for instance. good slim fits, tailoring and construction that matches a lot of much pricier labels. not cheap, but definitely a good value. i could list a few more. g750g, golden goose, tonello, brian dales, pringle of scotland, patrizia pepe, etc. depends on what you're looking for, there are, as you mention, a shitload of random stuff on there.
budget is not very much unfortunately. I will check those out though thanks

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
deadly: a different colored shirt would be better, black/black is not so good imo

Yeah, was more showing off the jacket. I wear different colors each day, I just happened to take the pic on my black/grey day. Today is purple shirt/khakis. :p

Still gotta work on the hair (cut is good just need to get better with styling). Also, I agree with mac, not crazy about the black on black.

Black/black is a surprisingly hard combo to pull off. You generally need different shades and/or material to do it.

I haven't actively worn Levi's in years, but I hear good things about the 513s. If I were to buy a pair of Levi's today they'd be them.

Hair is bugging me a bit. I get what the stylist told me to do, but I can't get it to look quite right. The paste gives it a bit of a shine too. Any suggestions? Add the paste then just mess it up completely? My bangs are my biggest issue, they like to clump together.

As for jeans, I ordered a pair of the tapered ones. The ones you noted look nice, but I've never been able to wear slim jeans due to my bigger thighs.

They look great on the model, even with room in the thighs, but they never turn out that way. Think the same as the picture, but the thighs looking almost skin tight.

Use Crew Fiber. It's got a blue label. Slick you hair up and back and then pat it down lightly on the top and comb it with your fingers more on the sides. Maybe it won't work for your hair (I have curly hair) but it's worth a shot.

That's actually what she gave me I'm fairly sure. It's one of the Crew pastes. :p

I'll give what you said a try though. I have a huge forehead, so I need some kind of bangs. That's what always kills me. Hey, I'm not balding yet at least!

budget is not very much unfortunately. I will check those out though thanks
If you're unsure o the cost, most of the labels I mention get really inexpensive later on in the year. For example, i got a couple of $295 pringle of Scotland shirts for around $45 this summer, Grifoni dress pants for $70 or so, etc. the stuff I mentioned kind of flies under the radar.

Assuming you mean medium grey... Light blue, lighter grey, dark brown, black in small doses.

Though pretty much everything works, just gotta be careful to made sure it's a bit lighter or darker.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'll give what you said a try though. I have a huge forehead, so I need some kind of bangs. That's what always kills me. Hey, I'm not balding yet at least!

Not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, and when you've been doing this for so long, it just takes a little time to adjust to the idea that "hey, I don't have to hide my forehead." I did the same thing for like 25 years (giant wrinkly forehead and an inverted widow's peak), but once I realized there were other options, I've rarely gone back. It's all about properly framing your face and working with your features. Let gooooo, maaaan. Feels good.

UraMallas

That's actually what she gave me I'm fairly sure. It's one of the Crew pastes. :p

I also have a huge forehead. Make sure you let your hair completely dry before applying it. I tap it down in the front to cover my forehead some but I don't push it all the way down.

p.s. You don't have as big of a forehead as you think. It might do you well to try to let it breathe a bit. Not trying to tell you what to do just an option to try in the mirror, maybe.

zethren

Banned
Don't worry about it so much, Cyclone. I've always thought that I have a big forehead too. But lately I've been styling my hair such that I don't have as much going on with bangs, and it's worked out just fine. It's a fun change.

Give it a shot and see how you feel man.

Alucrid

Banned
My hair is in that awkward phase where it's too long for product but too short to kept in check naturally. Usually just tie my bangs back with a hair tie

cyclone, in the most general sense, you could try growing out the top while still keeping the sides and back shorter, have the stylist texturize your hair and go with a side part. though i would probably ask the men's hair thread for help on that one.

If you're unsure o the cost, most of the labels I mention get really inexpensive later on in the year. For example, i got a couple of $295 pringle of Scotland shirts for around $45 this summer, Grifoni dress pants for $70 or so, etc. the stuff I mentioned kind of flies under the radar.

did you buy the pringle shirts recently? how are they?

Dariee

Does anyone know a good place to grab a thin, light overcoat, preferably with a hood? Been fawning over some of the Nicholas K stuff from a while back but never grabbed this one coat that I liked.

420x560.jpg

Damn awesome looks.

No idea on how to help you out, though.

did you buy the pringle shirts recently? how are they?
nicely put together, mop buttons etc. nothing mindblowing tbh. that said, they usually have nice details and such. I have a polished chambray shirt with a navy contrast collar and a blue/white plaid shirt with field jacket-esque utility pockets. sweaters are nice too, but duh, it's pringle.

davidon: i've seen a few on yoox at various prices/sizes. just search for hooded and drill down your search from there

ie

http://www.yoox.com/us/men/shoponli...=U&page=2&mysizes=200:4;205:4&season=A&sort=4

http://www.yoox.com/us/41292357WH/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80_m&cod10=41292357WH&sizeId=

etc

Zilch

Banned
you guys were talking about CKC a couple pages ago... the sizing is TTS? I appreciate that most CK lines have XS sized garments, would their XS fit a short dude (5'5") very well?

Not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, and when you've been doing this for so long, it just takes a little time to adjust to the idea that "hey, I don't have to hide my forehead." I did the same thing for like 25 years (giant wrinkly forehead and an inverted widow's peak), but once I realized there were other options, I've rarely gone back. It's all about properly framing your face and working with your features. Let gooooo, maaaan. Feels good.

Can you go into what you do? I hate showing off my forehead, it's SO BIG.

yeah, they aren't super long cuts like, say, costume national and so on.

measuring a 'small' dress shirt in my closet gets this:

s2s: 16"
sleeve: 25"
length (bottom of collar seam to hem): 28"
p2p: 17.5-18ish

as you can tell i'm bored and waiting for a phone call at home :p

heh, maybe they've always been tts just damn slim. oh well. :p

Not crazy about either of those, man. Though I hate epaulettes and large collars, so that's probably why. You might better off with someone's opinion who's style better matches those jackets.

Hair is bugging me a bit. I get what the stylist told me to do, but I can't get it to look quite right. The paste gives it a bit of a shine too. Any suggestions? Add the paste then just mess it up completely? My bangs are my biggest issue, they like to clump together.
I assume you're applying the paste to dry hair, as you should. Make sure you give it a good rub in both hands prior to applying it. I tend to start applying on the top of my head and work my way down, that way my bangs/front don't get overdone with product. Maybe try the same?

Hell man, if anything just experiment with some different styles, take a few pictures and post them here. If you're worried about trying something new, here could be a good place to start.

If it would help, I might take some photos of my hair with and without styling so that you can see how much of a difference it makes.

zethren

Banned
It really does make a difference. I haven't put anything in my hair today, and it's so flat and boring. Experimenting with what works for you really is fun, and I totally second getting your hair cut shorter on the sides with more length up top.

Alucrid

Banned
It really does make a difference. I haven't put anything in my hair today, and it's so flat and boring. Experimenting with what works for you really is fun, and I totally second getting your hair cut shorter on the sides with more length up top.
Guys, online hair party? Guys?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hair party!

Thanks guys. It's been practically the same (cut short, grow out longer, cut short, repeat) forever and I've rarely ever used anything in it. I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.

zethren

Banned
will there be a dress code?

Hair only.

Like one of your French girls.

Hair party!

Thanks guys. It's been practically the same (cut short, grow out longer, cut short, repeat) forever and I've rarely ever used anything in it. I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.

Here's what I do:

Short on the sides and back, medium/longer up top. I have thick wavy hair, and I use American Crew Matte wax. No shine, strong hold.

Put about a quarter size in your fingers, rub it around in your fingers for a bit, then apply it to towel/hair dryer dried hair (a very small amount of moisture in your hair. I don't like applying it to bone dry hair). Run it through your hair down to your scalp. Then sculpt it how you want.

If your hair is thinner/shorter than mine, you'll want to use less than a quarter size amount. Probably a dime size amount. I just have a lot of hair.

You might want American Crew Fiber. It's the round can with the blue label.

Picked up this Ted Baker messenger bag from Selfridges today for £99, will get a pea coat from Uni qlo tomorrow, even though it's really still autumn and good knitwear should be fine until winter.

img-thing

Dunno anything about non-leather Wilson clothes but the leathers are really baggy fitting andnot so good. Gimme a bit and I'll find some swag... Size small rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom