• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
well.... i know its low level fashion shit, but i got my first pair levis 513s. dark grey. they look and fit FUCKING AWESOME. i feel like im on a new level now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Got some sweaters from bob page.

A++++++++++++++ WOULD USE AGAIN.

They fit great, too.

kaskade

I bought a shawl collar cable knit cardigan in navy and a normal shawl collar cardigan in grey. They might be my two new favorite pieces of clothing. Shawl collars rock.

dantehemi

What's up fashion-gaf.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I need some help, over the last year I have lost 100lbs (keto-gaf) and I need a new wardrobe very badly.

I'm looking for a few items in particular, but first let me tell you a bit about me.

6'-2" 300lbs stil a big dude, but I carry it well (wide shoulders, big all over, not so much of a gut) I find it hard to find clothes that fit and feel right.

I want
-winter vest (dont know what there really called)
-jeans (need to know what to look for in fits, to baggy I look sloppy, too tight and my legs looks like sausage casing)
-shirts (button down, comfy, I like flannel patterns)

And any other types of clothes that anyone could recommend that would look good on a Big dude, I know what I'm asking sounds demanding but I don't know what to do? I kinda know what I want, but have no idea where or what I'm looking for?

I guess the best way to describe my style would be "basic, not too flashy and comfertable"

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tess3ract

Banned
I need some clothes that make a pudgy guy look fashionable. It's hard. Get swole arms, nothing fits my shoulders. Start workin on my thighs, gotta get bigger pants to accommodate my ass/thighs, but then my calves are breezy.

oTL

Saw this PS Paul Smith baseball jacket at Nordstrom's today. It's a great grey color with very minor purple detailing (around side zipper). Forgot to check the material, though I'm almost positive it was a wool blend.

Would've picked it up without question had it not been $700.

tQIi5.jpg

Both of you look way too good for lazy Saturday outfits.
Yeah, I'm in a thermal shirt and underwear right now, and I mean, RIGHT NOW. Winter is here... which is why Igot this from yoox coming my way, general consensus seems to be to size up (based on measurements from various sites). Apparently started by an ex-designer for CP Company, they use a lot of technical and bonded fabrics. could be cool. i had to dig around a bit for info on this stuff since the yoox picture is sooo bad.
E21M68012.jpg

http://www.esemplare.it/en/garments/esemplare/fallwinter-2011/
http://www.yoox.com/us/41291319OK/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80_m&cod10=41291319OK&sizeId=

coldvein

Banned
How do they fit compared to 514's? I'm a 514 guy but I've been meaning to check out 513's.

just a bit less baggy on me. i was concerned that they might be too "skinny" or something but thats not the case at all. i love them. i am switching forever.

my lazy saturday outfit: adidas track pants. thats it. i scoff at your lazy saturday outfits

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I made a thread and it died....

Any advice for dressing for a casual outdoors wedding in the fall (texas fall, chilly but not super cold) without going broke?

Is a navy blazer with chinos and a tie too summer?

It an actress I work with's wedding, so I should make a good impressions, but my new job hasn't made me rich yet and the move was expensive.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That sounds nice... and cheaper to accomplish without buying junky clothes or diging through a million thrift stores. Is a cardigan TOO casual though? I'm new to this.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
cool cool

And if I go Chinos I need to go through some crazy episode of last in order to get Uniqlo ones right? It's my understanding that they are the cheapest, "fashionable" ones...

I'm really clueless about fashion, but I want to improve my image in the work place. I have the confidence, just not the fashion sense to dress better.

Any good tips for a beginner? Just something professional looking. I mean, I have a tie and a suit, but outside of that I'm clueless. Does it matter that I'm short, or does simply looking good work well for all height?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Picked up some stuff for fall/light winter wear.

Jacket, pretty basic wool coat. Really liked the fit on it as it is hard to find slim fitting jackets of this type for my frame that don't cost a shit ton of money. Plus it was 30% off. Not sure if I'll keep it, just haven't found a better fitting one yet.

aYd6k.jpg

Also ended up going with the Earthkeeper boots. Pretty comfortable after breaking them in over the past few days. Wanted something that I didn't mind if they get beat up by shitty Pittsburgh weather, plus they weren't too expensive.

0vCGz.jpg

New watch. Not really a watch wearer, outside of a cheapo timex that I use for while outdoors. Didn't want to spend a lot, so I got something that would look good semi dress up or casual as well.

pYQ7L.jpg

Laekon

Nixon makes nice watches. I never understand people that pay over a grand for a watch. Those boots look good but unless they have a water proof liner all those seams are going to let in a lot of water.

Alucrid

Banned
Nixon makes nice watches. I never understand people that pay over a grand for a watch. Those boots look good but unless they have a water proof liner all those seams are going to let in a lot of water.

an appreciation for the craftsmanship of the watch. i don't even like watches but i'll nod my head in approval when i see a nice one.

For the price I would always get Orient over Nixon just because of the craftsmanship.

If it were a superior made watch that keeps good time and has great craftsmanship, I could understand it. If it were a fashion watch like a Michael Kors, or Kate Spade one, I don't get it. Those aren't even watch companies.

If it were a superior made watch that keeps good time and has great craftsmanship, I could understand it. If it were a fashion watch like a Michael Kors, or Kate Spade one, I don't get it. Those aren't even watch companies.

Ya, I'm not sure how people can pay so much for fashion company watches instead of like better name watch companies for the same price.

Some people just want it to look nice and Michael Kors knows how to make a flashy ass watch. If I was loaded I would buy nothing but Patek Philippe.

GorillaJu

I understand why Comme des Garcons, Versace and now Margiela do these H&M collections and don't underestimate the sheer amount of publicity each collaboration brings, but do they really think that a couple of items from these lines (of what amount to officially sanctioned replicas) will be enough to convince somebody who routinely pays £100 for a jacket to suddenly pay £1000 for a jacket?
Surely that doesn't actually happen..... does it?

I think Armani does it well in this sense by having the budget Exchange line.
It enables the company to cater to a far wider demographic but still keeps this line distinctly removed enough from others as to not hurt the companies image overall.
Wouldn't this ultimately be preferable to doing a 'knock-off' line with H&M?

I'm not sure exactly how the deals work but I imagine they make a shit load of money on the items being sold through H&M to customers who want to buy something from Margiela but can't afford it, not from previously uninterested H&M costumers becoming interested in Margiela.

There isn't a person alive who'd buy a H&M collabo piece then suddenly be interested in the actual designer. The two things are nothing a like except in name. The quality of H&M is pure shit, even the designer collabos - if my first experience with Viktor & Rolf or Martin Margiela was through the H&M items, I'd be turned off for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom