• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone offer input on a pair of nice winter shoes/boots for travel? I'm going to be spending 16 days in Europe over the Christmas holiday, and would like to add something to my wardrobe since I don't really have any casual boots. I'd like something that looks nice, can handle winter weather and snow, but is also breathable and can handle a lot of walking.

These are three pairs that catch my eye. I've had good luck with Merrells in the past, but never had a pair of Irish Setters or Patagonias, so don't know what to expect really.

http://www.zappos.com/irish-setter-voyager-3852-dark-brown
http://www.zappos.com/merrell-world-guide-waterproof-espresso
http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-tin-shed-6-waterproof-espresso

I'm really clueless about fashion, but I want to improve my image in the work place. I have the confidence, just not the fashion sense to dress better.

Any good tips for a beginner? Just something professional looking. I mean, I have a tie and a suit, but outside of that I'm clueless. Does it matter that I'm short, or does simply looking good work well for all height?
The first step is to buy clothes that fit. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a blazer from H&M or one by Ermenegildo Zegna, if it fits well you'll look exponentially better and more professional. This means start buying slim fit clothes if you aren't already. Don't be turned off by the word "slim fit" either. Slim fit doesn't mean the clothing is going to be too tight, it just means it has less baggage than traditional cuts. I'm not sure what kind of body type you have but it really doesn't matter, you should be buying slim fits if you haven't been already.

Next start working with colors. You want to look professional you say? Two easy colors to pull off: blue and lavender. Chances are you already own some blue shirts (and if you don't, what the hell?), so start playing around with some shirt/tie combos. I think lighter blue is better for business than say, navy, but to each his own. Lavender is an extremely powerful business color as well, generally matched with grey. I think it's more of a spring color, so you may want to wait until March or so to start wearing that frequently, but if you live in a warm climate then go for it.

That should be enough to get you started. Feel free to post pictures of your wardrobe and we can help you out further.

Can anyone offer input on a pair of nice winter shoes/boots for travel? I'm going to be spending 16 days in Europe over the Christmas holiday, and would like to add something to my wardrobe since I don't really have any casual boots. I'd like something that looks nice, can handle winter weather and snow, but is also breathable and can handle a lot of walking.

These are three pairs that catch my eye. I've had good luck with Merrells in the past, but never had a pair of Irish Setters or Patagonias, so don't know what to expect really.

http://www.zappos.com/irish-setter-voyager-3852-dark-brown
http://www.zappos.com/merrell-world-guide-waterproof-espresso
http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-tin-shed-6-waterproof-espresso
Are you more worried about the boots being comfortable/sturdy? Or fashionable? Because I have no doubt those three that you posted are extremely sturdy, but from an aesthetic perspective they are just plain awful.

Have you looked into Timberland? I believe they're usually around the same price range.

coldvein

Banned
lucky, i know you are a grand master when it comes to this fashion stuff and i honestly would never question anything you say in this matter, but the certain colors for certain seasons thing doesn't quite make sense to me. Like today, it is fall, but is was really sunny for a good few hours, so in that period why would i not where sunny summer colors. where does this theory come from? i'm genuinely curious.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
man, coldvein, you do NOT want to be caught in a 40mph wind gust and splattered with wet fall leaves while wearing pastels. my god, what were you thinking, i mean seriously.

Alucrid

Banned
trying to scrounge up money for this

10291606_508e2af82266a.jpg

Antagon

I'm really clueless about fashion, but I want to improve my image in the work place. I have the confidence, just not the fashion sense to dress better.

Any good tips for a beginner? Just something professional looking. I mean, I have a tie and a suit, but outside of that I'm clueless. Does it matter that I'm short, or does simply looking good work well for all height?

Start with well fitting basics. Slacks, a nice shirt and pull over, combined with some nice ankle boots or Oxford shoes is a nice, classic combination for fall and winter. If you're in a more casual office you could also pick up some nice dark slim fit jeans.

Try to avoid big flashy logos (the less logos the better). Also, avoid stuff that's too flashy but still dress your age. Fit is key, though nice materials and a good finish help a lot as well.

lucky, i know you are a grand master when it comes to this fashion stuff and i honestly would never question anything you say in this matter, but the certain colors for certain seasons thing doesn't quite make sense to me. Like today, it is fall, but is was really sunny for a good few hours, so in that period why would i not where sunny summer colors. where does this theory come from? i'm genuinely curious.
Good question.

I generally tend to think that the colors you wear look better when they match the climate. As you and I know, in Seattle our Fall/Winters are relatively dark, with a couple beautiful days like today sprinkled in. I think that's why you tend to see lots of darker colors and an emphasis on things like browns. Spring/Summer for instance you have lots of light, which is why the lighter colors become more applicable. It's essentially just matching the climate.

It also depends on your complexion. For instance, I can't wear lighter colors in the winter, because I'm pale and I tend to blend in to them. In the summer when I have some decent color on my skin (god bless working outside), my lighter colors just look better.

Of course, if you want to get technical, a lot of this can originally be attributed to the fact that darker colors absorb more heat than lighter colors, which makes sense for why you'd want to wear darker colors in a cooler climate as opposed to lighter and visa versa. You can certainly wear an all black outfit in the summer, but would you really want to when it's 90 degrees out?

With all of that said, I've definitely seen some guys kill pastel based outfits in Winter. Hell, GQ insists that "electric yellow" is going to be the hot color for Winter (and idea I disagree with entirely). Ultimately, if you can pull it off, go for it, I think you just run a much higher risk of looking out of place.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?

coldvein

Banned
Good question.

I generally tend to think that the colors you wear look better when they match the climate. As you and I know, in Seattle our Fall/Winters are relatively dark, with a couple beautiful days like today sprinkled in. I think that's why you tend to see lots of darker colors and an emphasis on things like browns. Spring/Summer for instance you have lots of light, which is why the lighter colors become more applicable. It's essentially just matching the climate.

It also depends on your complexion. For instance, I can't wear lighter colors in the winter, because I'm pale and I tend to blend in to them. In the summer when I have some decent color on my skin (god bless working outside), my lighter colors just look better.

Of course, if you want to get technical, a lot of this can originally be attributed to the fact that darker colors absorb more heat than lighter colors, which makes sense for why you'd want to wear darker colors in a cooler climate as opposed to lighter and visa versa. You can certainly wear an all black outfit in the summer, but would you really want to when it's 90 degrees out?

With all of that said, I've definitely seen some guys kill pastel based outfits in Winter. Hell, GQ insists that "electric yellow" is going to be the hot color for Winter (and idea I disagree with entirely). Ultimately, if you can pull it off, go for it, I think you just run a much higher risk of looking out of place.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?

interesting stuff man, appreciate the answer.

*buys electric yellow pants*

zchen

styleblogger had an article for shorter guys
here

His essentials article is worth a read
here

also reddit has a basic wardrobe guide
and article on how clothes should fit

Good question.

i agree with matching the climate. i used to think that because it was fall i needed to stick to earthy colors (olive/forest greens, browns, greys etc) but, its like the mid 80's here. so during the day i tend to wear brighter colors and lighter colors chinos or pants. then at night when it cools down, i'll wear some heavier bottoms and darker clothes.

also, lucky, i randomly came across some sf4 footage...this is you? do you still play?
http://youtu.be/_V5Dlhb3p-c?t=5m21s

coldvein

Banned
well.. 95% of my wardrobe is black, grey, dark grey, dark blue. i guess this is my season!!!

(doesnt look like our luckyboyceo in the video..)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The hair chronicles continue. I've gotten it to where it looks fine, but it practically looks like it did before the stylist. :p The paste really isn't getting me anywhere. Oh well, I'll keep working!

This week's goal is to get a winter coat. Heading to our outlet mall this weekend and will check Banana Republic and Gap to see what they have.

KTHPW.jpg

Placing one foot daintily in the grey camp. Want. I can't in good conscience acquire more blue clothing.

The front of the coat seems a bit high, no? I prefer the look of lower, 2-button coats since that elongates the legs rather than the torso. Also the lapels seem so small because of the high cut of the coat.

bob page

The front of the coat seems a bit high, no? I prefer the look of lower, 2-button coats since that elongates the legs rather than the torso. Also the lapels seem so small because of the high cut of the coat.

Yeah, buttons look way too high. Button on the breast pocket also looks bad.

i agree with matching the climate. i used to think that because it was fall i needed to stick to earthy colors (olive/forest greens, browns, greys etc) but, its like the mid 80's here. so during the day i tend to wear brighter colors and lighter colors chinos or pants. then at night when it cools down, i'll wear some heavier bottoms and darker clothes.

also, lucky, i randomly came across some sf4 footage...this is you? do you still play?
http://youtu.be/_V5Dlhb3p-c?t=5m21s
Ha, yep! That's me. Haven't seen that video in forever. I still play, though not nearly as much as I used to.

Are you more worried about the boots being comfortable/sturdy? Or fashionable? Because I have no doubt those three that you posted are extremely sturdy, but from an aesthetic perspective they are just plain awful.

Have you looked into Timberland? I believe they're usually around the same price range.

Both, really. I'm surprised to hear you think all of them look awful, but would then recommend Timberlands since aesthetically they look even more like work boots.

Alucrid

Banned
Wait. That's not you in your avatar?

No, it is. He's not combofiend, mike ross ,gootecks or other guy in that vid. He's Sakura. His inner fighter is a small Japanese schoolgirl, mine is a member of the British special forces who likes cats.

Yeah, as Alucrid put so eloquently, I was the Sakura player. We were playing online, hence why I'm not physically in the video.

Both, really. I'm surprised to hear you think all of them look awful, but would then recommend Timberlands since aesthetically they look even more like work boots.
It was the soles that really killed it for me, especially on the first ones you posted. I don't like a whole lot of detailing on my boots or footwear in general (even brogues). I tend to think less is more, but then again, that's just me.

Timberland has a lot of options outside of their traditional style boots. I haven't looked at their recent styles, but I imagine there'd be something in there that you'd like. It's worth a shot.

Hmm, the Groupon Kenneth Cole deal fell through (they are not fulfilling orders). So any suggestions for a warm, modern pea coat that won't break this college student's bank?

purg3

slept with Malkin

Check out the ones I posted on the previous page. They are Timberland Earthkeepers, I like them so far.

Check out the ones I posted on the previous page. They are Timberland Earthkeepers, I like them so far.

That's this page you silly man!

I do like those though. I like my Timberland steel toes with anti-fatigue, but do they seem like they'll do a good job of warming as well as breathing? I'm not sure how well their linings do in the cold.

purg3

slept with Malkin
That's this page you silly man!

I do like those though. I like my Timberland steel toes with anti-fatigue, but do they seem like they'll do a good job of warming as well as breathing? I'm not sure how well their linings do in the cold.

They were ok yesterday as I ran through a torrential downpour as far as keeping my feet dry. But I can tell I'll definitely need to wear wool socks with these once it starts getting really cold. They are comfortable, but there really isn't much of a lining for insulation.

Also I'm on mobile gaf so it's set to 50 ppp

coldvein

Banned
fwiw (nothing) i think smaller lapels look fine. ps i just took a picture of my closet, check it out yall:

closet.jpg

i guess it might not even qualify as a closet cuz it has no door.
how awesome is your closet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom