• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I bought girl's rain boots today because a) my shoes were soaked and b) men's rain boots is apparently a crazy idea? idk. Anyway, lots of people complemented me on them, which made me chuckle since they were purchased in such a hurry and aren't even for dudes.

EDIT: coldvein has so much purple in his closet that maybe these boots would be better suited for him HEYOOOO.

Puddles

Banned
Do any of you guys recommend some good-smelling bodywash, soap, shampoo, etc? I keep a pretty high standard of hygiene, but I use pretty basic stuff. As a result, I don't smell good or bad. I don't really have a smell.

Do any of you guys recommend some good-smelling bodywash, soap, shampoo, etc? I keep a pretty high standard of hygiene, but I use pretty basic stuff. As a result, I don't smell good or bad. I don't really have a smell.
I use eucerin and scent free deodorant stuff. I don't care for cologne at all. Embrace your smell free existence.

I bought girl's rain boots today because a) my shoes were soaked and b) men's rain boots is apparently a crazy idea? idk. Anyway, lots of people complemented me on them, which made me chuckle since they were purchased in such a hurry and aren't even for dudes.

EDIT: coldvein has so much purple in his closet that maybe these boots would be better suited for him HEYOOOO.
After today I'm tempted to do the same. My wardrobe is not built for this kind of rain.

I think neutral soap with cologne is the way to go. Anything with a scent might mix poorly with your cologne. This of course, assumes you're wearing a fragrance in the first place.

Puddles

Banned
I don't currently wear a fragrance, although I used to have a bottle of Lucky You, which I was told complemented me very well.

I don't currently wear a fragrance, although I used to have a bottle of Lucky You, which I was told complemented me very well.

Like luckyboyceo says I think the best way to go is neutral soaps and deodorants and then using a fragrance. Of course what kind you want is up to you there's no real good or bad but for me I try to avoid anything strong/obnoxious because that can annoy people around you.

Also, obviously avoid axe and all that garbage.

Puddles

Banned
I guess I'll pick out a cologne eventually.

Also, I'm trying to tie a bow-tie right now so I can dress up as James Bond tomorrow. What dread sorcery is this? What do I have to sacrifice on an altar in order to gain this power? All the resources of the internet at my disposal, and I'm sitting here an hour later nowhere near forming a knot.

raindoc

Acqua Di Gio by Armani. shower gel, after shave, deodorant, cologne... pick what you want. i use the shower gel and after shave and haven't met anyone yet who didn't love the smell.

Alucrid

Banned
I guess I'll pick out a cologne eventually.

Also, I'm trying to tie a bow-tie right now so I can dress up as James Bond tomorrow. What dread sorcery is this? What do I have to sacrifice on an altar in order to gain this power? All the resources of the internet at my disposal, and I'm sitting here an hour later nowhere near forming a knot.

I like Dior by Dior Homme or CDG Kyoto. MDCI Invasion Barbare is pretty good too but damn expensive.

sruckus

I have been using one of the scented body washes by Old Spice and girls have commented randomly that I smell good. I'm gay so no benefit there, but take it for what it's worth.

I like citrusy scents on men, but I don't think the soap/shampoo thing lasts a long time. If you want to "have a (pleasant) smell" then cologne is the way to go. But don't overdo it. I hate it when a guy walks by and leaves a man-shaped cloud of cologne in the space he was in.

Don't go for old spice or brut or anything cheesy like that.

I'm not sure how to describe the scent, but I like it when guys smell like money. Not actual money, but when they smell kinda expensive. Not a cool water type scent, but kinda spicy, warm, and leathery. Imagine walking into a leather store, but it doesn't smell bad.

robox

i've been jealous of girls rain boots for a while. for men, it's ditch diggin' boots or nothing

Zekes!

What do you mean by girl's rainboots? Like the colourful/patterned ones?

WoodWERD

I'll play the closet game! Serious question though: has there ever been an actual wardrobe overhaul documented in this thread? I searched and saw it mentioned, but never carried out. I'm getting close to doing it myself, but I really need to lose some weight first.

What you see here is roughly 125 shirts, of which I regularly wear MAYBE 25% of them. The closet is probably 6 feet deep if I had to guess. On the left I've got work clothes - slacks and long sleeve button downs. On the top right I've got short sleeve button downs and polo shirts, below that are my tshirts. I'm constantly donating stuff to Goodwill (though I might try a consignment shop next time), but I know I've got way too much stuff in here. I came across a couple style guides that gave good direction - choose basic colors that complement you which can also be interchanged. Sounds easy enough? I guess my plan is to keep 5-7 solid colors of each shirt style along with a couple patterned ones, donate/sell the rest, and then round out what's left with some colors that look good on me. Any thoughts/tips/sites you guys might have to share?

CameraZOOM-20121031155707389.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I'll play the closet game! Serious question though: has there ever been an actual wardrobe overhaul documented in this thread? I searched and saw it mentioned, but never carried out. I'm getting close to doing it myself, but I really need to lose some weight first.

What you see here is roughly 125 shirts, of which I regularly wear MAYBE 25% of them. The closet is probably 6 feet deep if I had to guess. On the left I've got work clothes - slacks and long sleeve button downs. On the top right I've got short sleeve button downs and polo shirts, below that are my tshirts. I'm constantly donating stuff to Goodwill (though I might try a consignment shop next time), but I know I've got way too much stuff in here. I came across a couple style guides that gave good direction - choose basic colors that complement you which can also be interchanged. Sounds easy enough? I guess my plan is to keep 5-7 solid colors of each shirt style along with a couple patterned ones, donate/sell the rest, and then round out what's left with some colors that look good on me. Any thoughts/tips/sites you guys might have to share?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7GDPRLuVyY0/UJGRmBwnXoI/AAAAAAAAAME/jG6P7Wh_vqQ/s512/CameraZOOM-20121031155707389.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Overhaul? no, i don'[t think that'd be a good idea. i'd rather collect pieces slowly than completely redo my wardrobe, a large amount which would still probably end up not being worn.

WAYWT and a fit question. Got my vest from Uniqlo in today. How's the fit look? It feels fine, I've just never worn this style of vest before so I don't exactly have a frame of reference.

I suppose I'm mostly curious about the length. Thoughts?

Zipped and unzipped:

You just need some rei boots to become full Seattle style.

Fit is fine, it's s down/polyfill vest, I gonna be chunky. That in mind, maybe a thicker sweater would temper the puffiness.

WAYWT and a fit question. Got my vest from Uniqlo in today. How's the fit look? It feels fine, I've just never worn this style of vest before so I don't exactly have a frame of reference.

Zipped and unzipped:

Gordon Freeman, is that you?

Fit looks okay. Not sure how much room you have under there and how poofy it is, but if you can, I'd go one size down just because it looks a little boxy right now. I'd ditch the striped scarf and go for a checkered pattern or solid. The stripes on the scarf clashes with the striped quilting on the vest.

Do those vests actually keep you warm? My hands are always cold, so I'm skeptical about wearing vests like that.

Also, watch bracelet seems a little loose.

You just need some rei boots to become full Seattle style.

Fit is fine, it's s down/polyfill vest, I gonna be chunky. That in mind, maybe a thicker sweater would temper the puffiness.

Gordon Freeman, is that you?

Fit looks okay. Not sure how much room you have under there and how poofy it is, but if you can, I'd go one size down just because it looks a little boxy right now. I'd ditch the striped scarf and go for a checkered pattern or solid. The stripes on the scarf clashes with the striped quilting on the vest.

Do those vests actually keep you warm? My hands are always cold, so I'm skeptical about wearing vests like that.

Also, watch bracelet seems a little loose.
Thanks, guys.

I intend on primarily wearing it over a sweatshirt as added warmth, but I was anxious to try it out today hence wearing it over the sweater. I agree mac, I think it will look better with a thicker sweater/sweatshirt. Good tip on the scarf, nakedsushi. I didn't even think about stripes and stripes!

As for your question about warmth, it definitely does help. Granted, I live in Seattle, which is far from what I'd call a harsh weather climate, so your mileage may vary depending on your location. Obviously, it's not going to do anything about your hands, but I imagine a vest paired with some gloves would definitely do the trick.

Pocks

Zipped and unzipped:

diggin the hairstyle

what numbers were used?

fat pat

Zipped and unzipped:

i think the length is perfect, but the body could prolly be a bit snugger from the outside appearance. How snug is the inside of the vest? Also, if you went to a size smaller, how much does the length of the vest shrink up?

diggin the hairstyle

what numbers were used?
Thanks, man.

It's a 2 on the sides and long on top with blending. Wish I had more details for you, but that's all I know, my barber does the rest. Keep in mind this is about a week and a half after my last cut, so it's normally a bit shorter than shown.

Here's a side view of what it normally looks like:

i think the length is perfect, but the body could prolly be a bit snugger from the outside appearance. How snug is the inside of the vest? Also, if you went to a size smaller, how much does the length of the vest shrink up?
It's pretty snug, but it depends on what I'm wearing it with. I think it's ideal for wearing over a sweatshirt and that's generally what I plan to do. In hindsight, I think the pictures may be a bit misleading since I'm only wearing a henley.

Not sure on how much it shrinks when going to a M, but I'm pretty sure at this point I'll just stick with the L. I'm looking in to a different style slimmer vest that will be more for thinner sweaters/shirts and for the Spring.

LOL. That is an $1800 Gucci corduroy sportcoat on sale at Nordstrom's Rack for $600. I passed on it but now you guys are making me seriously reconsider (as if I wasn't already).

Fuck.

Zekes!

Zipped and unzipped:

I like it (and the scarf)

also that jacket is dope. You guys make me wish I made more money

edit: Also I picked up this jacket by Publish http://www.thepublishshop.com/store/product/P1205074_Black

I might have a pic in the next couple days

Zekes!

I'mma try craigslist postings or maybe hit up some local cougar bars I guess

I totally dig white tees with patterned pockets. Missed out on a couple I saw in town which I regret

I'mma try craigslist postings or maybe hit up some local cougar bars I guess

I totally dig white tees with patterned pockets. Missed out on a couple I saw in town which I regret

If I saw anything like that in person I would fall over myself buying it. The best stuff is always online which is a shame because quality/sizing has screwed me a lot in the past. Basically can't ever buy pants online and shirts are hit/miss.

Thanks for the feedback, Zekes.

Yeah, I agree with mac. Something about the shape of that shirt looks off to me, MiD. Can't tell if it's the model or the shirt itself. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

And I've pretty much given up entirely on buying expensive clothing online. I've been burned on fits too many times, so unless it's a brand I for sure know my size in (Naked & Famous, Hugo Boss), I'm not buying it. That or I've just been spoiled by the Nordstrom's flagship store having literally everything.

Thanks for the feedback, Zekes.

Yeah, I agree with mac. Something about the shape of that shirt looks off to me, MiD. Can't tell if it's the model or the shirt itself. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

And I've pretty much given up entirely on buying expensive clothing online. I've been burned on fits too many times, so unless it's a brand I for sure know my size in (Naked & Famous, Hugo Boss), I'm not buying it. That or I've just been spoiled by the Nordstrom's flagship store having literally everything.

My closest Nordstrom is awful. It's all just diesel, RVCA, true religion, and other hype brands. Gotta travel farther to luck out on APC and other brands.

That's a shame. You've got to check out the downtown Seattle (flagship) store next time you're in the area. It's all extremely nice and reputable stuff. Pretty much you name it, they have it. In fact, I don't think they carry any of the brands you mentioned (they do carry APC however).

Antagon

At least you guys got chains that sell decent jeans. In my country there's maybe 3 stores in total that do. The best one does have some nice stuff though, from n&f to gold label Momotaro. Otherwise it's all Diesel, Replay and G-Star with some Chinese Levi's thrown in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom