• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

bob page said:
Uniqlo and H&M's standard v-necks aren't very low either. I'm not a fan of low-lying douche necks, but I'm very comfortable with the fit from those two places.

I find Gap/BNR v-necks to be pretty acceptable. But then again, not sure whether it's worth the price...

LProtag

Thanks for the tips on teacher stuff. I also asked my mom who works in the school system and she seemed to say that tight pants probably won't cut it with the administration, which kinda makes sense.

I'll figure it out when I'm finally in a job. Going to go with the standard pants and dress shirt/tie combo, though I do get all of my dress clothes in 'modern' or 'thin' cut. Play it safe until I land the job and I'm there for a bit I suppose.

Also I'm going to have to find a tailor or get a nice suit custom made. I think the smallest I can find anywhere is a 36 or maybe a rare 34, but they're always regular. I probably need something around a 34S or maybe even a 32S, especially if I get in shape as while I look skinny in clothes, I've got a little leftover college flab that could go away easily. Sucks being a short skinny guy. 5'5" and 125lbs, seems like everything they make for someone my height is made for super fat people. A good tailor should be able to work with a jacket a size or two up from where I should be, right?

entremet

InsertNameHere said:
Thanks for the tips on teacher stuff. I also asked my mom who works in the school system and she seemed to say that tight pants probably won't cut it with the administration, which kinda makes sense.

I'll figure it out when I'm finally in a job. Going to go with the standard pants and dress shirt/tie combo, though I do get all of my dress clothes in 'modern' or 'thin' cut. Play it safe until I land the job and I'm there for a bit I suppose.

Also I'm going to have to find a tailor or get a nice suit custom made. I think the smallest I can find anywhere is a 36 or maybe a rare 34, but they're always regular. I probably need something around a 34S or maybe even a 32S, especially if I get in shape as while I look skinny in clothes, I've got a little leftover college flab that could go away easily. Sucks being a short skinny guy. 5'5" and 125lbs, seems like everything they make for someone my height is made for super fat people. A good tailor should be able to work with a jacket a size or two up from where I should be, right?
There's a pretty well dressed teacher on Styleforum. I think his name is NewYorkRanger. You can get good ideas from him. He posts a lot in the casual wear and what you wearing today threads.

tornjaw

Dress me GAF!

So I've perused the thread. And one site in particular I really liked the style but I don't know if I could pull of the look. However, I'm terrible at this. So I'm asking GAF's advice on how/what I should buy/wear.

I'm 5'8" 150~lbs I'm going to add some pictures of me just for reference of my size build and just some outfits I've worn.

I don't do much shopping on my own so I had a chick come out with me to help me pick out some outfits for casual dates while I was in San Antonio.

This is how I dress when I'm going out.

Picture 1 [Photo removed due to it being an abomination]

Picture 2

But this is what I wear on a day-to-day. Cargo short, Chucks, and tiny t-shirts.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Here's some full bodies for reference,

Picture 1

Picture 2

And one of my dog for good measure.

Toby

So all-in-all I want to spruce up my day-to-day dress and my going out style. I'm currently in Afghanistan and going on leave in about 7 weeks so I'm hoping to order some stuff and have it shipped out. Any and all help is appreciated.

CFMOORE!

^ your first four pics made me say "oh my god" in horror. then i got to the rest and while it's just military, it at least made you look not like a tool. sorry, just being honest. especially that first pic, what the hell is that thing you're wearing with the giant white tribal pattern?!

anyways, based on the link you posted of that blog, I take it you want to dress more like an actual grown up, ditching t-shirts and jeans/cargo shorts from your everyday attire? there are plenty of nice affordable places to get your feet wet in better style. Depends on what you deem expensive too. Is spending $50-65 on a button up and maybe $60-70 on nice pants too crazy? I know people here link all kinds of shit like a $300 button up, but you don't need to spend anywhere close to that to look good. Just try on lots of shit and ensure proper fitting in shoulders, sleeve length, chest, pant length, and take things like the size of the leg opening and sleeve openings into consideration as you don't want a lot of bulk. the more fitted the better as always.

To further add, avoid being a walking advertisement for any brand. i'd say J.Crew, Banana Republic, Express, and the like will be fine places for you to put together nice outfits that will probably succeed in what you're after. Branch out from there. I like pairing something like this:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=28663&vid=1&pid=876539&scid=876539012

with something like this:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/spotlightslimshop/PRDOVR~36998/36998.jsp

pants like these:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=42976&vid=1&pid=851162

and shoes like these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1

just look around at stores that sell stuff in styles you're interested in and try it all on since sizing varies greatly. you'll be sharper in no time.

Kind of hard to dress someone over the internets, but my general advice to people looking to start dressing well is to look into well-made shoes (sneakers, lace-ups, boots, etc). It's a good place to start as the improvements are hard to miss. All my friends who have asked for this kind of reboot I have started with shoes, and they start to hate everything in their closet pretty quickly.

Generally, I would start small; look for some simple items that fit well and have little to no ornamentation etc. No graphic tees, embellished shirts, etc. It's a better way to learn the vocabulary of fit, color, fabric etc etc. A good pair of jeans will have a lot of mileage, as will a nice, sturdy coat (climate depending I suppose). From there start building when you figure out what suits you best.

Give some budget limits and we can go further with specifics. You're a thin dude so it honestly will be easy to look good in the style of clothing in that link; you just have to know where and how to shop.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
macuser1of5 said:
Kind of hard to dress someone over the internets, but my general advice to people looking to start dressing well is to look into well-made shoes (sneakers, lace-ups, boots, etc). It's a good place to start as the improvements are hard to miss. All my friends who have asked for this kind of reboot I have started with shoes, and they start to hate everything in their closet pretty quickly.

What are some good starter sneakers?

Frustrated_me said:
Anyone want to point me in the right direction? I'm looking for bracelets (not the cheap stuff, $100+) to wear.
What kind; leather or silver? Lots of leather bracelets out there (3sixteen, Tanner etc) but if you want some cool bling Ugo Cacciatori is dope and not cheap, though not at David Yurman levels.

RatskyWatsky said:
What are some good starter sneakers?
What is the upper limit you are willing to drop on a pair?

tornjaw

Johnlenham said:
OH GOD burn that pic 1 shirt.

-sigh- A girl I went out with a few times picked it out. My taste in men's fashion is abysmal (clearly, hence why I'm seeking advice) Also, from the overwhelming response to it, I'll toss it.

CFMOORE! said:
anyways, based on the link you posted of that blog, I take it you want to dress more like an actual grown up, ditching t-shirts and jeans/cargo shorts from your everyday attire?

Exactly. And exactly what my friend said.

macuser1of5 said:
Give some budget limits and we can go further with specifics. You're a thin dude so it honestly will be easy to look good in the style of clothing in that link; you just have to know where and how to shop.

Thing is I don't know where or how to shop. I want to look at around 200$ an outfit. Hoping to have 4-5 outfits ready for me when I go on leave. I like I said I'm hoping to order these items and have them shipped.

Also I'm stationed in Germany and that's where I'm going for leave so I also need to plan on a jacket too.

RatskyWatsky said:
BTW, tornjaw: HOT! :3

Thanks.

bob page

tornjaw said:
-sigh- A girl I went out with a few times picked it out. My taste in men's fashion is abysmal (clearly, hence why I'm seeking advice) Also, from the overwhelming response to it, I'll toss it.

Exactly. And exactly what my friend said.

Thing is I don't know where or how to shop. I want to look at around 200$ an outfit. Hoping to have 4-5 outfits ready for me when I go on leave. I like I said I'm hoping to order these items and have them shipped.

Also I'm stationed in Germany and that's where I'm going for leave so I also need to plan on a jacket too.

Thanks.
I'd probably get rid of any shirt with graphics on it (unless it's like Threadless or something, which can be OK on occasion). That graffiti shit is a no-go. V-necks look good on people of your build. If you're not used to wearing them, it might feel awkward at first, but chicks dig them and they look good to everyone else.

For shorts, look for something that isn't overly baggy without the excess pockets. Cargo shorts are fine, but don't get anything that goes past your knee or anything.

Jeans- go with straight fit. Darker denim looks better with most everything when compared to a lighter wash (in my opinion), especially when you're going out or trying to look good. There are quite a few good denim brands if you're willing to spend $60+ for a pair (APC, Acne, etc).

Dress shirts- I'd recommend my usual brands since you're in shape. Check out Banana Republic, Zara.com, Gap, etc. Make sure it's slim fit or fitted so it's not baggy around the arms or back.

Shoes- this one's pretty hard to screw up. John Varvatos Converse, Tretorn, Adidas, Asics, etc all look good with both denim and khacki shorts.

When you get all of these new clothes, make sure you take care of them and don't throw them on your floor. One of my friends spent all kinds of money on new clothes and didn't hang up his shirts and threw them on the floor instead. If you're gonna spend some money, might as well take care of your stuff.

RatskyWatsky said:
For that range, I'd go with doucal's on yoox. Around 150, well made in italy and simple, versatile designs. they have a pretty good size range on most of them (8-11).

I especially like these:
UcTlg.jpg

yWRFO.jpg

aUr11.jpg

there is also a code, fashion@yoox, for free shipping right now, which will also knock 2-4 day shipping to around $7 iirc.

duk

Banned
tornjaw said:
Dress me GAF!

So I've perused the thread. And one site in particular I really liked the style but I don't know if I could pull of the look. However, I'm terrible at this. So I'm asking GAF's advice on how/what I should buy/wear.

I'm 5'8" 150~lbs I'm going to add some pictures of me just for reference of my size build and just some outfits I've worn.

I don't do much shopping on my own so I had a chick come out with me to help me pick out some outfits for casual dates while I was in San Antonio.

This is how I dress when I'm going out.

Picture 1

Picture 2

But this is what I wear on a day-to-day. Cargo short, Chucks, and tiny t-shirts.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Here's some full bodies for reference,

Picture 1

Picture 2

And one of my dog for good measure.

Toby

So all-in-all I want to spruce up my day-to-day dress and my going out style. I'm currently in Afghanistan and going on leave in about 7 weeks so I'm hoping to order some stuff and have it shipped out. Any and all help is appreciated.

that shirt in the first pic is horrible

Alucrid

Banned
macuser said:
there is also a code, fashion@yoox, for free shipping right now, which will also knock 2-4 day shipping to around $7 iirc.

I still think spending that much on sneakers is a bit crazy (perhaps because I wear through mine pretty fast). The only one I'd spend a lot on are Common Projects, otherwise beater vans and GATs do the trick. Then again I plan on dropping a shit ton on Aldens in two weeks when I get paid so my opinion is kinda invalid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
macuser1of5 said:
For that range, I'd go with...

Ooh, thanks. I like the gray ones.

Alucrid said:
I still think spending that much on sneakers is a bit crazy (perhaps because I wear through mine pretty fast). The only one I'd spend a lot on are Common Projects, otherwise beater vans and GATs do the trick. Then again I plan on dropping a shit ton on Aldens in two weeks when I get paid so my opinion is kinda invalid.
same thing really; all my more costly sneakers have lasted longer, and more notably, worn down gracefully vs shredding apart like my chucks. Chucks are the worst though.

Of course there are diminishing returns ($1,500 louboutin sneakers) but that applies to all clothing, not just casual wear.

Visceir

Johnlenham said:
I forgot to add both the shirt and jacket had stupidly large security tags clamped on the neck.
Its one thing that really pisses me off about River Island which is a shame as they are my go to highstreet shop.

I usually ask them to be removed if it's actually hindering me in some way.

Trident said:
I ordered some clothes from this place. The quality is very low, but the bigger issue was that the sleeve-circumference was so small that I literally couldn't fit my arms into them. So good luck with that.

I have a rather skinny build, maybe it's something I should be happy about for once. I'm more worried about the sleeves being too short.

I wouldn't mind getting a few new sweaters for the winter period. This one caught my eye (down to £10.00 from £35.00), but they were out of stock. =/
stric.jpg

Gila

Hey guys, where can I find sweaters like this (Vancouver, Canada) (I don't even mind buying online)
I just don't wanna spend $80, I'm sure there are cheaper ones that look like that which are good quality.
Doesn't have to be charcoal as well

Alucrid

Banned
Visceir said:
I usually ask them to be removed if it's actually hindering me in some way.

I have a rather skinny build, maybe it's something I should be happy about for once. I'm more worried about the sleeves being too short.

I wouldn't mind getting a few new sweaters for the winter period. This one caught my eye (down to £10.00 from £35.00), but they were out of stock. =/
stric.jpg

That looks very feminine imo.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Anyone tried/like H & M's straight jeans?

They also have some great looking boots, but they are apparently imitation leather. I don't know how much more expensive the real stuff is.

SonnyBoy said:
I've never owned a leather jacket before. I'm a skinny dude and don't know where to look. Any advice or links?

AllSaints Spitafield. Their archives has some pretty good deals on leather jackets-- and they are definitely skinny fit.

Superdry. If you live anywhere near a superdry store-- they frequently have sales where they have 20-30% off retail price-- and they are pretty good for small frames.

Schottnyc. Look them up- they are pretty solid.

Diesel. For the most part-- their leather are on trend and slim fitting.

John Varvatos. I suggest his Star USA subset. They're more affordable and fits a slim frame pretty well.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
That bonobos deal where you like their Facebook page today, get a code to use on 10/3 for 50% is good right now, it seems. Thinking bout picking up these shoes : http://www.bonobos.com/reuben-raven

and these boots :http://www.bonobos.com/fairhaven-boot-dark-brown

can't beat 50% man.

PersonaX

edit: nevermind

I bought these today, what do you guys think? Sorry for the poor quality, i had to take it with a webcam (camera being borrowed).

ay0kn8.jpg

InsertNameHere said:

I know exactly what you mean about the shortness; I'm 5'5"-5'6" too. But I'm also 145 lbs so a 36s works well for me. Anyway, maybe you should consider trying kids sizes from Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, and any other stores that sell children's clothing too? It's worked out for me in the past and also they're a lot cheaper than their regular prices so that's a plus :)

RJNavarrete said:
Thinking of getting a pair of raw/selvedge jeans. Willing to spend about a buck fifty or so. What you guys got?

Besides the standard APCs, maybe you can get up to a little more and grab some 3sixteens or this hell of a find I found one day. His cheapest are the Uniqlos from Japan, which has a very good quality to price value, but he also has Sugar Canes for 220 (!)

What do you guys recommend for jeans in the $100-225 range? I used to love Diesels for their fit and style but last week I went in there and tried on probably ten pair and didn't love any of them. The only one I sorta liked was $325 and I find that a bit too exorbitant for jeans that aren't really tht high quality.

I used to like 7 for all mankind too but they seem to have no style these days, just bland denim and poor fit.

For fit, I usually wear jeans that are fitting (ie slim fit but not too tight... Bootcut are too large).

Edit: I don't like anything too flashy, so that knocks out the true religion brand bc of their logo from what I've seen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SpeedingUptoStop said:
That bonobos deal where you like their Facebook page today, get a code to use on 10/3 for 50% is good right now, it seems. Thinking bout picking up these shoes : http://www.bonobos.com/reuben-raven

and these boots :http://www.bonobos.com/fairhaven-boot-dark-brown

can't beat 50% man.

50% off the entire order, or just one item? Anyway, thanks for the notification. I've been looking at Bonobos for a while, and had no idea there was any sort of coupon. They're all out at the moment though! >.<

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm thinking about getting some Bonobos with that 50% coupon. I'm a jeans/pants noob, so I'm really only familiar with American Eagle and Levis. I wear about a 30 waist in AE, and a 31 in Levis. What size of Bonobos does everyone think would be right? Every time I order from Levis.com, I always have to send my jeans back because they're too small, so I'm a bit worried about buying a brand that I'm unfamiliar with.

Doytch

RatskyWatsky said:
I'm thinking about getting some Bonobos with that 50% coupon. I'm a jeans/pants noob, so I'm really only familiar with American Eagle and Levis. I wear about a 30 waist in AE, and a 31 in Levis. What size of Bonobos does everyone think would be right? Every time I order from Levis.com, I always have to send my jeans back because they're too small, so I'm a bit worried about buying a brand that I'm unfamiliar with.
I wear a 30 in everything except a pair of 514's in tumbled rigid that I have in 32 (other 514s are 30....), and I wear a 30 in Bonobos. Fits like a damn dream.

Speaking of which, was looking at the site checking what I should get with that coupon, and I kind of feel like getting this seersucker suit for $130:
SUT-SMS_tall_front_2.jpg

Thoughts on seersucker? Never had one, and having moved Toronto > Raleigh, I was dying from the heat this past summer. Some nice pics on the Sartorialist, would probably pick up some dirty bucks to pair with it...

Draft

Doytch said:
I wear a 30 in everything except a pair of 514's in tumbled rigid that I have in 32 (other 514s are 30....), and I wear a 30 in Bonobos. Fits like a damn dream.

Speaking of which, was looking at the site checking what I should get with that coupon, and I kind of feel like getting this seersucker suit for $130:
SUT-SMS_tall_front_2.jpg

Thoughts on seersucker? Never had one, and having moved Toronto > Raleigh, I was dying from the heat this past summer. Some nice pics on the Sartorialist, would probably pick up some dirty bucks to pair with it...
Seersucker is legit in the south, but I don't know about a $130 suit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom