• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Did some shopping today and bought fabric to have a light-blue and dark-blue suitjacket made. The light blue fabric was quite shiny, I'm rather curious how they will turn out. I'll be sure to post pictures of how they turned out once I get them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone posted this in the 007 Skyfall thread. Get the fashion from the movie for less. I love Craig's jacket in the Scotland scenes, so I may have to look at one of these.

Scotland-Jacket.jpg

EDIT: Here's the one from the movie:

http://www.barbour.com/own-bond-jac...vjlmkGPt+1t7vwkhQDdkjFWxU8EMrUOKZUdBtZzgj8cD4
Win-Beacon-Heritage-Sports-Jacket.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just came from Kuhlman for my second fitting with the suit: incredible. It's like a totally different suit and fits like a dream already. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend.

So I ordered those Feathers Canvas oxfords a week or so ago and they got here. Some revelations: Apparently Bed Stu and Feathers Canvas are the same company and they make their shoes huge. Here's a comparison, on the top is a PF Flyers in 9, and the bottom the Bed Stu/Feathers Canvas in a 9

qJQvy.jpg

Cool thanks, what do you think they should be worn with?
The style is Grey herringbone, if that makes a difference.
As Jayy said, khakis would be good. That or chinos/cords of other colors.

Really? Huh, is it recent? I have a timberland store near me I used to buy stuff at and they never mentioned it or anything. :(
Not sure. I have an appointment with the guy that sold me my boots tomorrow, so I'll ask and find out. It may just be on certain models.

61443_10101141434248570_1858935384_n.jpg

John coppidge starting out strong
Whoa, that's fantastic. That's the new TOJ lines, correct?

Did some shopping today and bought fabric to have a light-blue and dark-blue suitjacket made. The light blue fabric was quite shiny, I'm rather curious how they will turn out. I'll be sure to post pictures of how they turned out once I get them.
Nice, I've never tried a custom suit before but it's on my list of things to do eventually. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Just came from Kuhlman for my second fitting with the suit: incredible. It's like a totally different suit and fits like a dream already. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend.
Awesome. Can't wait to see this.

So I ordered those Feathers Canvas oxfords a week or so ago and they got here. Some revelations: Apparently Bed Stu and Feathers Canvas are the same company and they make their shoes huge. Here's a comparison, on the top is a PF Flyers in 9, and the bottom the Bed Stu/Feathers Canvas in a 9

qJQvy.jpg

Bed Stu shoes fall apart after like 2 weeks. It's pretty bad.

Spent 2 hours walking around a shopping centre today looking for a jacket, couldn't find a single one worth buying. Finding shopping in general alot harder these days :(

MRORANGE

Anyone recommend a a good leather Satchel Bag?

It needs to hold a laptop 13 inch in size with cables, a camera (mirrorless/ smal dslr), and a textbook at most.

colour: might go for any but grey/brown/dark blue/green is a plus

zips: appreciated.

I had my eyes on this but I doubt it would fit my camera and laptop:

6tBmp.png

well shit I bought it :D

8SnfM.jpg

never spending that much on a bag again lol.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Uniqlo has tons of great winter coats this year- their coats are pretty much their best offerings right now. Looks like there are some that are exclusive to in-store, but there are some good ones online, as well:

Best picks:
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-down-4way-coat/073569-06
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-stretch-down-jacket/073085-18-003
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-down-jacket/073738-38-004#BVRRWidgetID
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-wool-pea-coat/069528-09-007

I'm more into this kind of winter coat (it gets very cold here):
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=3763#fn=sp=1&spc=511&ruleId=27&slotId=rec(3)

I have a really nice Jack & Jones one, but it's always been a bit too big. I also have a peacoat that needs a slight alteration (just add a button to keep the collar from popping out, it doesn't stay flattened properly against the chest at all time), but it doesn't suit me well in general unless I'm dressed less casual.

BTW anyone knows of a Macy-like site in Canada? All good clothing sites charge crazy to ship to Canada:|

Puddles

Banned
So this is a thread where $78 jeans are considered low-end? Haha. Thanks for the advice though. Those jeans do look great. I'll see if I can find a sale at some point.

I got a pretty nice pair of jeans at the Gap tonight. 1979 brand, got them for around $41 on sale.

So this is a thread where $78 jeans are considered low-end? Haha. Thanks for the advice though. Those jeans do look great. I'll see if I can find a sale at some point.

I got a pretty nice pair of jeans at the Gap tonight. 1979 brand, got them for around $41 on sale.
If you want cheaper, I'd go with the Levi's 513s, but it's definitely worth paying the extra $25 or whatever it is to get the Unbranded ones. I've heard nothing but good things. Besides, in my opinion investing in a nice pair of jeans is probably one of the best investments you can make in the fashion world.

Alucrid

Banned

How about you give us non ambiguous criteria then?

Puddles

Banned
How about you give us non ambiguous criteria then?

I guess the meaning of "affordable" varies by person, but in common parlance it's synonymous with "budget" or "economy", which for jeans I think would be <$50?

I might just swing by an Urban Outfitter and check out the Unbranded though. Those do look pretty damn nice, and I would like to have a pair of great-looking jeans.

Alucrid

Banned
I guess the meaning of "affordable" varies by person, but in common parlance it's synonymous with "budget" or "economy", which for jeans I think would be <$50?

I might just swing by an Urban Outfitter and check out the Unbranded though.

You required the added criteria of being "good looking" as well, and for the price Unbranded denim is going to be your best bet. I don't see how spending $80 on one pair of jeans is too outlandish and out of reach of "affordable." That said I already told you to go to Uniqlo if you want jeans for ~40.

xJavonta

Banned
How warm are peacoats from Army/Navy surplus stores? It get down into the 30s here.

That's plenty for that weather IMO. Then again, I live in Chicago and it gets below zero here and we still rock super thin sports jackets in that weather, so idk. It seems like plenty to me, just go try one on and see if it's warm enough for you.

Puddles

Banned
You required the added criteria of being "good looking" as well, and for the price Unbranded denim is going to be your best bet. I don't see how spending $80 on one pair of jeans is too outlandish and out of reach of "affordable." That said I already told you to go to Uniqlo if you want jeans for ~40.

Thanks a lot for the advice, man. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I was just chuckling to myself about how different my definition of "affordable" is compared to others'.

I might just swing by an Urban Outfitter and check out the Unbranded though. Those do look pretty damn nice, and I would like to have a pair of great-looking jeans.
Definitely check out the Unbranded in person if you can. The fit will probably be much different than what you're used to if you've been buying budget jeans your whole life. Granted, it's different in a better way (less baggage, probably heavier), but it's always best to give it a try beforehand, just to see what you're getting in to.

Feel free to post fit pics if you have any questions as well. Good luck!

Seriously.

Oh by the way what are some good everyday sneakers, like white old school ones with say a contrasting gum sole...
Do you mean like Converse or like Keds style? Also I only know stuff in that sort of price/quality range

How warm are peacoats from Army/Navy surplus stores? It get down into the 30s here.
mine is very warm

and I figure if it's good enough for the Navy it's good enough for pretty much anything else

Thanks a lot for the advice, man. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I was just chuckling to myself about how different my definition of "affordable" is compared to others'.

puddles, you might want to browse dappered.com every now and then. you can get some ideas of how to get some affordable and stylish clothes, where to get them and what to look for. target, tj maxx/marshalls all have been a real good surprise for me as to the kinds of steals you could find there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Uniqlo has tons of great winter coats this year- their coats are pretty much their best offerings right now. Looks like there are some that are exclusive to in-store, but there are some good ones online, as well:

Best picks:
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-down-4way-coat/073569-06
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-stretch-down-jacket/073085-18-003
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-down-jacket/073738-38-004#BVRRWidgetID
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-wool-pea-coat/069528-09-007

I like the last two. Not sure if the peacoat is just slightly too long though. For some reason I dislike coats that go below my crotch.

Hmm, which to get.

zethren

Banned
A long coat can work against you, and make you appear shorter than you really are. But it really depends on your taste, and the style of jacket. Alucrid's amazing duffle, for instance, is great.

My pea coat rests just slightly above the seperation of my pant legs which is where I think they look best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom