• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekniqs

so winter is hitting Socal and I thought this would be a good opportunity to change my wardrobe a bit. I'm looking into using scarves every now and then....can anyone give me tips on what to wear with it? I've always just been a long sleeve or hoodie type person....my female friend told me a casual jacket is a must

Anyone have any experience with the Australian leather brand Viparo?

A friend of mine showed me some of their jackets and they look pretty nice. They have a baseball varsity style jacket that's pretty much the exact style I've been looking for, and for a very reasonable price ($360), I'm just hesitant to import from them since I'm completely unfamiliar with the brand. Here's the jacket I'm looking at:

varsity-baseball-bomber-jacket-mike1.jpg

Any thoughts?

so winter is hitting Socal and I thought this would be a good opportunity to change my wardrobe a bit. I'm looking into using scarves every now and then....can anyone give me tips on what to wear with it? I've always just been a long sleeve or hoodie type person....my female friend told me a casual jacket is a must

Your female friend is right. Can't go wrong with a navy blazer, but if that's too formal, you can get a chunky knit shawl collar cardigan to go with a thinner fabric scarf like so:
201676889533342998_T3fW1GSl.jpg

Here's a decent cardigan:
albam-irwin-shawl-collar-cardigan-01.jpg

You can even do a scarf with a regular sweater since it doesn't get that cold here. As long as you're not wearing short-sleeves, scarf away! I find it silly to see men wearing a short sleeved t-shirt and a scarf.

Just be mindful that the yarn weight of your scarf shouldn't exceed the yarn weight of your cardigan. What that means is, don't wear a chunky knit scarf with a chunky knit cardigan. It ends up looking like too much.

Zekes!

Anyone have any experience with the Australian leather brand Viparo?

A friend of mine showed me some of their jackets and they look pretty nice. They have a baseball varsity style jacket that's pretty much the exact style I've been looking for, and for a very reasonable price ($360), I'm just hesitant to import from them since I'm completely unfamiliar with the brand. Here's the jacket I'm looking at:

Any thoughts?

I dig the jacket, and some of the other stuff on their site looks pretty nice. Kind of interested in a bag now...I wonder what the quality of their products is like.

and with that it was 80 again today lol

Got some stuff from Jackthreads. Basic flannel (this is actually the first one I've ever owned), waffle-something hoodie something and a peacoat (also a first). Keep in mind I mostly wear terrible graphic tees and jeans so it's kind of a step up for me.
how do they fit? I got some shirts from Jackthreads a while back and they fit like tents

I dig the jacket, and some of the other stuff on their site looks pretty nice. Kind of interested in a bag now...I wonder what the quality of their products is like.
Pretty certain I'm going to bite on the jacket barring any horror stories from anyone. If/when I do, I'll let you know about the quality of leather.

xJavonta

Banned
Got some stuff from Jackthreads. Basic flannel (this is actually the first one I've ever owned), waffle-something hoodie something and a peacoat (also a first). Keep in mind I mostly wear terrible graphic tees and jeans so it's kind of a step up for me.

Nice, liking it. I actually just bought the same thing, albeit from PacSun instead of Jackthreads (hoody, peacoat and my first flannel)

Zekes!

Pretty certain I'm going to bite on the jacket barring any horror stories from anyone. If/when I do, I'll let you know about the quality of leather.

I'd definitely appreciate it. Between the bag and a jacket I peeped I decided to bookmark the site. Looking forward to your impressions/photos if you get it.

How warm are peacoats from Army/Navy surplus stores? It get down into the 30s here.

That's around 0 in celcius?

If you buy a good quality one it should be warm enough. If it gets colder look at padded body warmers to wear with it. You can wear it inside if you're a conventional type, but wearing it over the top looks good if you choose a good colour combination and a good quality body warmer.

Tekniqs

thanks! she's gonna go shopping with me tomorrow and help me out haha....went through my closet and found a blazer/pea coat/button downs (or up..cant ever tell) and a few knitted vests that I never wear....I really gotta use more of my stuff

in on this crew..really trying to expand this winter. How long is your pea coat? Tried on the one I bought for last year and it's about 3 inches up from my knees...

DrBo42

in on this crew..really trying to expand this winter. How long is your pea coat? Tried on the one I bought for last year and it's about 3 inches up from my knees...

There are different styles. The Navy issue ones range from covering your ass to almost to your knees like you stated. Mine is past the waist, just about mid pant pocket.

Tekniqs

I think I like that style better...rather than the ones that are damn near my knees. looks like i'm wearing a dress or something..

Zekes!

Been looking for some desert boots too; thought about Clarks but decided I want something thinner/more sleeker looking.

I have a bunch of outfit ideas but no money to really go shopping/no where to really shop. I need to go to Vancouver in January...

Puddles

Banned
I stopped by my local Urban Outfitters tonight to look for the Unbranded Denim, but they didn't carry them. It turns out that only two Urban Outfitters in all of Los Angeles actually carry Unbranded. Hopefully I can get in there on Thursday or Friday.

I'd definitely appreciate it. Between the bag and a jacket I peeped I decided to bookmark the site. Looking forward to your impressions/photos if you get it.
I'm currently filling out shipping information as we speak. Rolling the dice and going with a M instead of a L since I want it to be slim. Really hoping this works considering I'm importing, so a return would be a hassle.

I stopped by my local Urban Outfitters tonight to look for the Unbranded Denim, but they didn't carry them. It turns out that only two Urban Outfitters in all of Los Angeles actually carry Unbranded. Hopefully I can get in there on Thursday or Friday.
I'm excited to see what you think.

Also, disclaimer: If you like them they'll only be the tip of the iceberg and you'll be hooked on designer denim. There's no going back after that.

cdyhybrid

That's around 0 in celcius?

If you buy a good quality one it should be warm enough. If it gets colder look at padded body warmers to wear with it. You can wear it inside if you're a conventional type, but wearing it over the top looks good if you choose a good colour combination and a good quality body warmer.

32F is 0C. That's good to hear. I imagine the military coats are as quality as you can get without paying a ton.

More Bond inspiration:

DCF2C735-71D0-4599-8619-4D0F56A022F8-17205-00000C4CDCA6CDBA_zps2f497e25.jpg

Nice! I want to pick up something like this next. Maybe something similar but a little more affordable.

Crappy screenshot:

qUGan.jpg

Yeah, as much as I wanted the real items... I will settle with a plain black Merino wool v-neck sweater from Uniqlo, JCrew or Banana Republic instead.

If you're looking in JCrew of Banana for sweaters, you might also want to look into Everlane. They have some basic men's stuff at a mid-range price.

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-cashmere-sweaters

I have a women's t-shirt and belt from them and they're decent. The t-shirt is super nice fabric that's soft but doesn't look all worn out like some soft t-shirts are. I bought my husband a men's crew t-shirt and he seems to like it okay.

I guarantee after you get them you will be hooked on 300 dollar denim for life. All it takes is the start.

zethren

Banned
Meant to post this earlier today, but was having issues with my phone and getting this image up on the internet. I took it on my break at work as a WIWT image (bad quality, as it turns out. Sorry.):
45985_10151080609966504_647968601_n.jpg

Gray pea coat
Lighter gray shirt
Navy Blue/White tie
Light brown corduroy pants
Navy blue canvas slip on shoes
Nixon Time Teller P Watch (Drab w/ blue hands)

If you're looking in JCrew of Banana for sweaters, you might also want to look into Everlane. They have some basic men's stuff at a mid-range price.

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-cashmere-sweaters

Yeah, I have an everlane account but I also have a JCrew outlet near my place for basics too.

Speaking of which, we also have a Barneys New York outlet... I like being able to get some N&Fs for about $100 less than going to Barneys itself. Kinda dangerous for my wallet though lol.

Zeppelin

I'm thinking of maybe picking up a duffle from Gloverall for this winter. They're probably going out of fashion over here but I'm really not that trend sensitive. Anyone got any experience with Gloverall? The fit doesn't look all that slim.

Said and done. Got the M3210 Mid Monty:

s_22_124.jpg

Fit was excellent. Seems like "regular fit" at Gloverall actually means regular fit!

Thinking of getting a pair of Iron Rangers but unsure of what color to get...

I do need a pair of black boots as I don't have a pair but any other brands I should consider aside from Red Wing? I have another pair from them (875's in a dark tan) that I like a lot.

Thanks.

Pray for me, guys.

I sized down in that leather jacket I just imported from Australia (top of page) thinking it was a traditional fit, turns out it runs slim. Really hoping I can make it fit cause an exchange would be a major pain in the ass and in the wallet. Ugh.

Zekes!

Pray for me, guys.

I sized down in that leather jacket I just imported from Australia (top of page) thinking it was a traditional fit, turns out it runs slim. Really hoping I can make it fit cause an exchange would be a major pain in the ass and in the wallet. Ugh.

Man, that's a downer. Here's hoping though. I'll cross my fingers for you, yo.

Here's a pic of my outfit from last Sunday I had meant to post. Didn't realize until now how blurry it turned out. Also my navy chinos look black.

Thanks, zethren.

Here's a pic of my outfit from last Sunday I had meant to post. Didn't realize until now how blurry it turned out. Also my navy chinos look black.
Yeah, man. I'm just telling myself it's going to be of the "trim" variety instead of the "slim" and it's making me feel better/more optimistic. I think I'll be alright, and even if I'm not, I'll figure something out.

I dig the hell out of that outfit though, man. Not something I could pull off in a thousand years but you rock it well. If there's one thing I'm not crazy about, it's the large buttons on the jacket, but the way that you compliment them with your shoes makes me almost look past it. Good choice on the red tie as well.

Also, that's picture number two I've seen of you in that amazing closet. It's yours, isn't it?

In which case, fuck you.

DrBo42

Dig everything but the socks and shoes. For me it's too much/borderline cartoony but wtf do I know.

Puddles

Banned
I didn't know there was a perfume version. Haha. I love the men's version. It's not fruity, not sweet, not musky, just fresh and awesome.

TUSR

Banned
I didn't know there was a perfume version. Haha. I love the men's version. It's not fruity, not sweet, not musky, just fresh and awesome.

Yeah back when we were dating she used to order it in because no one in my province would stock it consistently.

She was also a freak in the bed, hence the mad boners comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom