• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Please forgive my ignorance on this matter, and please don't be offended by this question: is it the style for the legs of the jeans to appear somewhat long, and therefore scrunched up a bit at the bottom? I have always tried to buy jeans where the inseam just comes down to my ankle without scrunching, but I am ignorant of current styles.

A lot of the pricier denim comes in one inseam so they only have to worry about different waist sizes. You can either hem it so that it hits where you want with no break or only a small break, you can cuff them or you can just let them 'stack' like in the picture. Stacking pretty much only works well with skinny/tapered jeans though. What you do depends on your own personal style though.

edit: sorry for the dickish postings of mine earlier

Puddles

Banned
A lot of the pricier denim comes in one inseam so they only have to worry about different waist sizes. You can either hem it so that it hits where you want with no break or only a small break, you can cuff them or you can just let them 'stack' like in the picture. Stacking pretty much only works well with skinny/tapered jeans though. What you do depends on your own personal style though.

Interesting. I was wondering why the Unbranded denim didn't list an inseam. Sucks for really tall or short people I guess, haha.

edit: sorry for the dickish postings of mine earlier

Poe's Law and all. Whereas I was thinking, "Damn, I'm a grad student, $80 jeans aren't that cheap!", it probably read something like, "What kind of idiot would spend that much money on jeans?" I apologize as well.

Alucrid

Banned
Interesting. I was wondering why the Unbranded denim didn't list an inseam. Sucks for really tall or short people I guess, haha.

Poe's Law and all. Whereas I was thinking, "Damn, I'm a grad student, $80 jeans aren't that cheap!", it probably read something like, "What kind of idiot would spend that much money on jeans?" I apologize as well.

I think they vary between 34"-36" depending on the waist size for Unbranded.

Please forgive my ignorance on this matter, and please don't be offended by this question: is it the style for the legs of the jeans to appear somewhat long, and therefore scrunched up a bit at the bottom? I have always tried to buy jeans where the inseam just comes down to my ankle without scrunching, but I am ignorant of current styles.

If you're thin and tall and weary tapered/slim/skinny jeans, you can stack or cuff. Both will look good in moderation.

If you have wider jeans, I would not cuff since it makes your legs look shorter. I'm personally not a fan of stacking wide jeans and think they look a lot more polished if they're just hemmed to half a break.

break.jpg

Are French cuff shirts still in style for formal events? It seems that people my age (27 +-5 yrs) don't feel much for them anymore.

Currently got a wedding to attend. I prepared a dark navy blue blazer with matching pants... original plan was to get the default white French cuff shirt with black bow tie...

My plan b is buy a black shirt with white tie, , maybe cufflinks?

The plan among our friends was to dress as stylish as we can... any tips Gaf?
I've never seen french cuffs as a style thing, I think it's more preference. Do you like wearing cuff links? If so, go with french cuff. If not, go with standard.

I think traditionally, french cuffs have been marketed towards the older, wealthier gentlemen. The kind that buys the majority of his suits at Brooks Brothers. They certainly look more formal, which could play to your advantage here. That's not to say though that they can't be modern. I have a few shirts from Ted Baker that have french cuffs and they look great.

If you do go with the french cuff, don't accessorize the cuff links too much, you want them to be understated. I have friends that insist on wearing french cuffs with huge, blingy cuff links and they look like total clowns. Don't be a total clown.

one of the blazers I bought
Looks nice. Hard to see the shoulders in that picture, but the length in the body and sleeves looks good.

haha same here, i love how zegna put even the receipts in fancy little card envelopes
I can't afford Zegna stuff, but I look forward to the day I can experience this receipt envelope you speak of.

You can go to Kiki de montparnasse and get a nice flogging whip. They tuck the receipts in envelopes too!

So I made the mistake of flipping though fw mr hare. Eugh :( sneakers aren't great IMO but the oxfords and boots mah gawd

Alucrid

Banned
You can go to Kiki de montparnasse and get a nice flogging whip. They tuck the receipts in envelopes too!

So I made the mistake of flipping though fw mr hare. Eugh :( sneakers aren't great IMO but the oxfords and boots mah gawd

i love what he writes for the product descriptions.

zchen

blueowl.us has actual measurements. pretty useful

I've never seen french cuffs as a style thing, I think it's more preference. Do you like wearing cuff links? If so, go with french cuff. If not, go with standard.

I think traditionally, french cuffs have been marketed towards the older, wealthier gentlemen. The kind that buys the majority of his suits at Brooks Brothers. They certainly look more formal, which could play to your advantage here. That's not to say though that they can't be modern. I have a few shirts from Ted Baker that have french cuffs and they look great.

If you do go with the french cuff, don't accessorize the cuff links too much, you want them to be understated. I have friends that insist on wearing french cuffs with huge, blingy cuff links and they look like total clowns. Don't be a total clown.

Looks nice. Hard to see the shoulders in that picture, but the length in the body and sleeves looks good.

I can't afford Zegna stuff, but I look forward to the day I can experience this receipt envelope you speak of.

Ya, that's pretty much exactly it for french cuff. Some fashion places say younger people look silly in them because there's a certain expectation of wealth and working up to that so younger people look weird in french cuff. French Cuff and non shitty cuff links are also pretty expensive so that's another reason most people don't buy them. If you really like them though I don't think they're bad.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So it turns out the peacoat I bought but never wore last year (was on vacation in the winter and it got really warm in the spring) looks great on me. I had gotten it for cheap and just put it on once to check the fit.

I bought some new boots recently, a pair of lugz of the same model I had before, but now if I'm wearing a peacoat it doesn't really work.

Not sure what winter boots I can wear with a peacoat and jeans.

Also bought a nice cobalt blue v-neck sweater and gray chinos on express.com (it actually looks much better, there are vertical lines, barely visible, that you can't see in the closeup of the fabric there for some reason), glad the fit is great. Looks really nice with a black and white striped shirt underneath, and with any shirt really.

Alright I need some help on overcoats, or opinions at least. I think the look of the shorter coat is just much more flattering on me. Ignore what I'm wearing, the picture of the longer coat I took a couple weeks ago without proper attire and the shorter was with my actual suit on. Which do you think looks better? The longer just feels like it gets too wide at the bottom. They're both the same price but the shorter is Calvin Klein and longer is Ralph Lauren. The shorter comes like exactly to my knee caps and the longer a little bit past my knee caps (Probably about 7"-8" past?). I've never purchased an overcoat so I'm just curious what you guys think looks better, thanks!

This is the longer one:

And this is the shorter

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Obviously the shorter one looks like it has a better fit. But I think it could probably fit even better, maybe try one size down?

Obviously the shorter one looks like it has a better fit. But I think it could probably fit even better, maybe try one size down?

Hmm, not sure about one size down. My jacket size is 44L and that overcoat is a 44L but doesn't hurt to try next time I'm out, I just always told same as jacket size or one size smaller for overcoats. Thanks for the opinion though, my gut feeling the whole time was the shorter but like I said I've just never worn them enough to know if that looks normal for a longer overcoat.

The shorter one looks way better- not sure what's going on with the long one but it looks very strange and bad.

Ya, I even asked the guy at the store if the longer one looking like that was normal and he said yes... Maybe it's just my body type but like regular overcoats look like crap and the shorter one is technically a 3/4 overcoat I believe.

The longer one looks like something Kevin Smith would wear. Take that how you will.

Now I feel I have to get the longer one.... :p

spicy cho

Man, black is my go to for everything but if the new MA-1 makes its debut in olive I might just go for it. Probably going to get it in black though.

Hmm, not sure about one size down. My jacket size is 44L and that overcoat is a 44L but doesn't hurt to try next time I'm out, I just always told same as jacket size or one size smaller for overcoats. Thanks for the opinion though, my gut feeling the whole time was the shorter but like I said I've just never worn them enough to know if that looks normal for a longer overcoat.
The longer coat is Ralph Lauren, correct? That's why it looks so weird. I don't mean that as a knock on Ralph Lauren, they make some fantastic items (particularly their Black and Purple labels), but traditionally their mainline suits, jackets and overcoats are tailored for a larger, non-modern fit. The kind of fit that generally older men are accustomed to, which I take it is not what you're looking for. You're not that kind of guy.

Calvin Klein on the other hand is the exact opposite, which is largely why that smaller jacket fits so much better. They tend to tailor their suits, jackets and overcoats to a younger, more modern male.

If you're deciding between the two jackets, definitely go with the shorter one. I agree with whoever said to try on a size smaller as well, you never know. Besides, never ever take for granted what the sales person tells you is "your size." As I pointed out above, sizes vary from brand to brand, and while you may be a 44L in Calvin Klein, you certainly aren't a 44L in Ralph Lauren. I'd always advise grabbing at least 2 if not 3 (main size, one size up, one size down) sizes of the same jacket and seeing which fits the best, just to be safe.

If you do try on the size smaller, definitely post pictures. I'd be interested to see how much of a difference it makes.

Yeah, every time you post that jacket it makes me want an olive one as well.

I know that's not leather, but I've always wanted an olive leather jacket. One of the things on my fashion bucket list to get eventually.

Found a slim navy blazer from Theory at TJ Maxx for $150. Hell yeah.
Nice, man. I like Theory. Nothing like beating the system and getting it for an amazing price too.

The longer coat is Ralph Lauren, correct? That's why it looks so weird. I don't mean that as a knock on Ralph Lauren, they make some fantastic items (particularly their Black and Purple labels), but traditionally their mainline suits, jackets and overcoats are tailored for a larger, non-modern fit. The kind of fit that generally older men are accustomed to, which I take it is not what you're looking for. You're not that kind of guy.

Calvin Klein on the other hand is the exact opposite, which is largely why that smaller jacket fits so much better. They tend to tailor their suits, jackets and overcoats to a younger, more modern male.

If you're deciding between the two jackets, definitely go with the shorter one. I agree with whoever said to try on a size smaller as well, you never know. Besides, never ever take for granted what the sales person tells you is "your size." As I pointed out above, sizes vary from brand to brand, and while you may be a 44L in Calvin Klein, you certainly aren't a 44L in Ralph Lauren. I'd always advise grabbing at least 2 if not 3 (main size, one size up, one size down) sizes of the same jacket and seeing which fits the best, just to be safe.

If you do try on the size smaller, definitely post pictures. I'd be interested to see how much of a difference it makes.

Yeah, every time you post that jacket it makes me want an olive one as well.

I know that's not leather, but I've always wanted an olive leather jacket. One of the things on my fashion bucket list to get eventually.

Nice, man. I like Theory. Nothing like beating the system and getting it for an amazing price too.

I tried some 42L for a cheaper company and it was way too tight in my shoulders and was annoying to put on with my suit underneath but ya, I haven't done it with the Calvin Klein so I'll definitely do it next time I'm out but after all the other brands I tried at 42L I'm not expecting much. And ya, long one is Ralph Lauren, shorter one is Calvin Klein. I don't think it's all Lauren though, when I was trying to find one and tried like 5 other brands for overcoat they all got bulky looking towards the bottom and looked like I was wearing a blanket. I accidentally came across the Calvin Klein and was thoroughly impressed with how it looked in comparison.

Edit: Hmm, 42L on the Lauren might look a lot nicer, I think 42L on the Calvin Klein will look too tight or feel too tight because of my shoulders.

Alright, since I have no suit experience whatsoever, I'm gonna need feedback. Two weeks of yery significant tailoring later...

IMG_1112.jpg

Success? This is how it fit to begin with.
Kind of hard to tell from the way your standing, but it looks passable. Definitely not perfect, but it's quite remarkable that Kuhlman was able to size it down as much as they did and still keep it as a passable suit. The pants in particular look pretty decent. Still a lot of bunching in the sleeves and the jacket itself looks long, but it certainly looks better than it was.

If you post some more angles I should be able to provide you with some better feedback.

I tried some 42L for a cheaper company and it was way too tight in my shoulders and was annoying to put on with my suit underneath but ya, I haven't done it with the Calvin Klein so I'll definitely do it next time I'm out but after all the other brands I tried at 42L I'm not expecting much. And ya, long one is Ralph Lauren, shorter one is Calvin Klein. I don't think it's all Lauren though, when I was trying to find one and tried like 5 other brands for overcoat they all got bulky looking towards the bottom and looked like I was wearing a blanket. I accidentally came across the Calvin Klein and was thoroughly impressed with how it looked in comparison.

Edit: Hmm, 42L on the Lauren might look a lot nicer, I think 42L on the Calvin Klein will look too tight or feel too tight because of my shoulders.
Yeah, that's understandable. You'll know when you go too small.

My post was mostly just to emphasize the fact that certain brands cut their coats certain ways, and often times you just need to find which cuts work for you. Definitely try sizing down on the Ralph Lauren and see how it looks. If you're still not happy with it, go with the Calvin Klein.

Kind of hard to tell from the way your standing, but it looks passable. Definitely not perfect, but it's quite remarkable that Kuhlman was able to size it down as much as they did and still keep it as a passable suit. The pants in particular look pretty decent. Still a lot of bunching in the sleeves and the jacket itself looks long, but it certainly looks better than it was.

If you post some more angles I should be able to provide you with some better feedback.

Yeah, that's understandable. You'll know when you go too small.

My post was mostly just to emphasize the fact that certain brands cut their coats certain ways, and often times you just need to find which cuts work for you. Definitely try sizing down on the Ralph Lauren and see how it looks. If you're still not happy with it, go with the Calvin Klein.

Ya, I thought people were referring to going a size down on the Calvin Klein which I thought looked right but I think the Ralph Lauren one would probably benefit from going down one, I'm curious what it'll look like.

This was a 44L for Kenneth Cole or something I think, I forget which brand actually since I tried so many. It looks better but still sort of tents out at the bottom which looks kind of crappy to me. I'm really tempted to try on the lauren in a 42L now and see if it looks any better but it seems all long overcoats tent out at the bottom and looks awkward, not sure if that's normal though.

Cosmic do a robot ssense pose for best analysis. Everything looks good in a classic rumpled kind of way.

I feel this overcoat dilemma, it's hard to get slim but not bulky fit for these things. Hopefully it won't be too painful when I get one in a month or so.

Puddles

Banned
So I went on another cologne testing run at the mall today. I tried out Bleu de Chanel, and I think I'm in love. This might be the fragrance I end up going with.

So I went on another cologne testing run at the mall today. I tried out Bleu de Chanel, and I think I'm in love. This might be the fragrance I end up going with.

Wait, so you're okay blowing $$ on cologne, but not okay with spending $$ on decent jeans? =(

Personally, I'd pay more attention to a guy wearing nicely fitted demin than the guy who smells like cologne. Well, as long as they don't smell like garbage. I've noticed lately that some guys put on WAY too much scent too. It's like they leave a person-shaped cloud of cologne in the place they were standing when they walk away.

Wait, so you're okay blowing $$ on cologne, but not okay with spending $$ on decent jeans? =(

Personally, I'd pay more attention to a guy wearing nicely fitted demin than the guy who smells like cologne. Well, as long as they don't smell like garbage. I've noticed lately that some guys put on WAY too much scent too. It's like they leave a person-shaped cloud of cologne in the place they were standing when they walk away.

Yeah I'm confused by this too. That cologne can cost anywhere between 60 to 100 dollars.

Keep in mind too, biologically women have a stronger nose than men, meaning that if you load up on cologne to the point where you can regularly smell yourself as you walk around, she's probably dead.

Keep it to one or two sprays, max. Nothing worse than the guy stinking up the place with an overpowering cologne.

And for the record, jeans are a much better investment.

Keep in mind too, biologically women have a stronger nose than men, meaning that if you load up on cologne to the point where you can regularly smell yourself as you walk around, she's probably dead.

Keep it to one or two sprays, max. Nothing worse than the guy stinking up the place with an overpowering cologne.

And for the record, jeans are a much better investment.

What about women who wear too much perfume. You ever have a girl walk by you and even 30 seconds later her fragrance is still there.

zethren

Banned
Okay guys, so I have a first date coming up this week. I haven't had a "first date" in some time now (got out of a long relationship some months back) so I'm a bit rusty on it. We're going out to dinner to a relatively casual restaurant. I'm thinking jeans, a button up shirt (no tie. I wear a lot of ties, but I don't want to wear one on a first date), and a light jacket.

I can post pics of the outfit later on today after work. But any thoughts?

I have big quads/hams, what are some good fits I should look for in jeans?

Depending on how big your thighs are straight leg is really your only option. Everything past that tends to just get slimmer. Here's a a good pic of a pair that give you good room in the thighs but still have some form to them.

Okay guys, so I have a first date coming up this week. I haven't had a "first date" in some time now (got out of a long relationship some months back) so I'm a bit rusty on it. We're going out to dinner to a relatively casual restaurant. I'm thinking jeans, a button up shirt (no tie. I wear a lot of ties, but I don't want to wear one on a first date), and a light jacket.

I can post pics of the outfit later on today after work. But any thoughts?

What about the shoes? Nothing about that outfit seems wrong for the occasion though.

zethren

Banned
What about the shoes? Nothing about that outfit seems wrong for the occasion though.

I have a few pairs of canvas slip-ons that are my go to casual shoes. One pair is a navy blue, the other a lighter gray. I'm thinking the lighter gray when paired with jeans.

Edit: Wish I had the shoes in the picture you posted above, though. Those look great. Any ideas where I could find a pair of those?

I have a few pairs of canvas slip-ons that are my go to casual shoes. One pair is a navy blue, the other a lighter gray. I'm thinking the lighter gray when paired with jeans.

Edit: Wish I had the shoes in the picture you posted above, though. Those look great. Any ideas where I could find a pair of those?

Looks like Vans Era Decon California Two Tone. They're kind of hard to find.

Puddles

Banned

Marginal utility.

I already have slightly cheaper jeans that fit me really well, so the marginal benefit of a pair one price range up is rather low. However, I don't have a night-time cologne, so the marginal benefit of getting a bottle is at its maximum.

But the fact is that I'm going to end up buying both.

Yeah I'm confused by this too. That cologne can cost anywhere between 60 to 100 dollars.

Ebay. I'll pay around $45.

I already have slightly cheaper jeans that fit me really well, so the marginal benefit of a pair one price range up is rather low. However, I don't have a night-time cologne, so the marginal benefit of getting a bottle is at its maximum.

This is news to me. There's cologne made for night time only? How do you know if one is night time or day time? What makes a cologne "night time" cologne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom