• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
This is news to me. There's cologne made for night time only? How do you know if one is night time or day time? What makes a cologne "night time" cologne?
I think he means a cologne to "impress the ladies", aka he doesn't care enough during the day of wear it. Or he thinks night time is the only time to wear it.

Midnight - no Axe, just no.

Midnight - no Axe, just no.

Thats_the_joke.jpg

BOD man is where it's at

So you're saying cologne in a windex bottle isn't a good idea?

Spray on abs? Never knew it was that easy.

Canceling my gym membership as we speak.

What about women who wear too much perfume. You ever have a girl walk by you and even 30 seconds later her fragrance is still there.
This is equally bad. It always comes off as trashy to me, as generally the girls that do this fit into the yoga pants + uggz + dog in bag category

Okay guys, so I have a first date coming up this week. I haven't had a "first date" in some time now (got out of a long relationship some months back) so I'm a bit rusty on it. We're going out to dinner to a relatively casual restaurant. I'm thinking jeans, a button up shirt (no tie. I wear a lot of ties, but I don't want to wear one on a first date), and a light jacket.

I can post pics of the outfit later on today after work. But any thoughts?
Sounds good. Jacket as in blazer? Or different kind of jacket? If it's a blazer, make sure and tuck that shirt in.

Good luck and enjoy your date!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I like this vest thingy. Too bad it was overly long on me (gee, what a shock) and seemed awfully expensive for some Urban Outfitters brand.

CsMcI.jpg

zethren

Banned
Sounds good. Jacket as in blazer? Or different kind of jacket? If it's a blazer, make sure and tuck that shirt in.

Good luck and enjoy your date!

Thanks luckyboy!

Nah, not a blazer. But if I can find a good one tomorrow or tonight after work I might try that. Tucked shirt with that, most definitely.

What I had in mind is a casual (autumn season really) jacket. Drab color, thin material, minimal bells and whistles.

Was gonna wear jeans, but guys. Guys.

Guys, should I wear my corduroys? Light brown or dark.

Deconstructed blazer + slutty tee

Slutty tee is good, but if BOD gives me spray on abs I think I'm just going to go with a blazer and no shirt at all. Sounds solid.

visible nips are a must

Choice validated.

Thanks luckyboy!

Nah, not a blazer. But if I can find a good one tomorrow or tonight after work I might try that. Tucked shirt with that, most definitely.

What I had in mind is a casual (autumn season really) jacket. Drab color, thin material, minimal bells and whistles.

Don't forget to wear a belt if you tuck in your shirt. Dark cords.

Thanks luckyboy!

Dark cords could be good, the season is perfect for them and they're a nice change of pace from jeans. Try your outfit on first with the jeans and second with the cords and see which you like better.

zethren said:
Slutty tee is good, but if BOD gives me spray on abs I think I'm just going to go with a blazer and no shirt at all. Sounds solid.
Of course, this is definitely the best option. Do this to guarantee a 2nd date.

zethren

Banned
Lol Sunny.

It's a casual restaurant, but I also don't want to be too casual. I have my style that everyone I know knows me by, but often times that includes ties. That was really my one hangup here: I didn't want to wear a tie on the first date.

Cords it is. I agree with the notion that they are a more unique choice over the jeans which most everyone else will be/is wearing.

And I always wear a belt regardless of the occasion or dress for the day. I hate pant sag.

Lirlond

What do you guys think about indian scarves?

Qint4.jpg
yPO3t.jpg

Something like this, maybe worn under a blazer? (tied like a muffler rather than hanging loose)

Those look slightly feminine to me, but I have absolutely no doubt that there are ways to pull them off and make them look rad.

There's someone out there that's done it.

zethren

Banned
Tied under a solid colored/patterned blazer would be nice. The thing about those is that they are very busy on the eyes, so you want to give your outfit enough flat space for the eye to rest.

Solid shirt, solid blazer. That's my preference.

What do you guys think about indian scarves?

Qint4.jpg
yPO3t.jpg

Something like this, maybe worn under a blazer? (tied like a muffler rather than hanging loose)
I dunno, I always hesitate to wear stuff that ties itself super strongly to a specific culture, like that who keffiyeh thing awhile back. It's like wearing a dashiki and jeans, tho not as extreme:

6FgB1.png

just tread carefully :p

FoxSpirit

I don't know what this is
A random complaint that no matter how hard you work to develop your personality... style comes first. Or as a friend put it, "If you want people to take a look at your inside, you have to present your outside first."
Which is something I feel is an elemental wrong in this world. But I want to meet some nice girls and style seems to go waaaay far. Same for promotions.

True manshion should be the self-tanned hide of a self hunted deer :p

edit: With that said, I'll prolly wanna go do my hair first. It's pretty strong, thick and remarkably straight. So nothing that builds on slight hair curl. Any good source that focuses on hairstyles?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What business casual shoe and color should I go with?
Basically want something that goes with everything and is comfortable.
All I can get them from is jcpenny or belk.

zethren

Banned
A random complaint that no matter how hard you work to develop your personality... style comes first. Or as a friend put it, "If you want people to take a look at your inside, you have to present your outside first."
Which is something I feel is an elemental wrong in this world. But I want to meet some nice girls and style seems to go waaaay far. Same for promotions.

edit: With that said, I'll prolly wanna go do my hair first. It's pretty strong, thick and remarkably straight. So nothing that builds on slight hair curl. Any good source that focuses on hairstyles?

I'm going to break this down into two parts here. One, where I think you're wrong. Two, where I'm going to give you tips and such. Here we go:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 1:

You are right that style goes a long way. People are impressed by you when they can see that you take care of yourself. But honestly, confidence and personality are the determinate factors here. You could be the best dressed dude at the party, and all of the girls come over to you, but if you have a shit personality they aren't sticking around very long (unless they are attracted to that, in which case you probably don't want them to begin with). You could be the most average dressed dude at the party, but if you have a fucking magnetic personality then you're going to win the hearts and minds of the people there.

An improved style DOES typically lead to an improved sense of self/confidence, however, which is I think where some of this confusion lies. Improve your style, take care of yourself in as many ways as you can, and simply carry yourself with confidence and that's one half of the battle right there.

Also, do this for you. Improve your sense of style for yourself, not to get girls. Work on yourself and improve your own quality of life, and great things will come to you. Guaranteed. Trust me, I speak from life experience. Style is only one of these factors.

Part 2:
Just google image the style you want. It is remarkable how easy it is to find hundreds of styles that way.

For example, when I was looking for styles a while back, I googled: Men's medium length wavy hair styles.

Then I sifted through all of the images. I've since cut it a bit shorter and made it more my own, but that's a great starting point. If you want to, you can then print out the image and take it to a stylist/salon.

For styling, I think American Crew is the best product I've run into. I shift between forming cream or their wax dependent upon my length.

What business casual shoe and color should I go with?
Basically want something that goes with everything and is comfortable.
All I can get them from is jcpenny or belk.

Brown leather oxford.

I'm confused by your posts but in my experience if you wear nice styles or whatever but don't feel comfortable in them as a person it really won't do you any good. There is a hair thread for men right here.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489323

Try to pick a style you can actually maintain in your daily life otherwise you will hate the maintenance rather than love it.

Fantastic post, zethren.

Okay, hi all.
Let's try this since good style seem to still go waaaaaay far. Pfffft.

FoxSpirit, I'm still a bit confused of what you're asking. Are you looking for tips to become more stylish or fashion-conscious? Are you trying to make yourself look more presentable? Or did you just come into this thread to share your detest for the emphasis our culture places on looks and external qualities? Cause if it's the latter then I won't waste my time writing up a post trying to help. I'm sensing a theme of passive aggressiveness in your posts and I can't tell whether or not you're sincere in wanting to look better.

Alucrid

Banned

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE ACCEPT ME IN MY SWEATPANTS AND UGGS

Style isn't the end all, be all but you can't look like a slob around others or obviously they will think less of you. You don't have to read fashion magazines and do a shitload of stuff, you just need clothes that fit (probably the biggest thing people screw up on) and clothes that look ok, it's really not that hard.

Style isn't the end all, be all but you can't look like a slob around others or obviously they will think less of you. You don't have to read fashion magazines and do a shitload of stuff, you just need clothes that fit (probably the biggest thing people screw up on) and clothes that look ok, it's really not that hard.

If anything, he should be shedding tears for those people who do all that stuff to look nice but are still ugly.

Puddles

Banned
Any good Black Friday deals you guys are eyeing?

They mess up how jackets lay

What kind of skin-tight jackets or thick-ass belts are you wearing where a belt would make a difference? Even with the one in your photo, I can't imagine a simple belt would affect that to any perceptible degree.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
yay, but get a friend to knit you one instead, or at least buy something off etsy so it's not a) shit quality and b) riddled with the finger scabs of sweatshop children

Az987

all good things
Hello fashion guys.

So I'm trying to learn how to dress like an adult and I'm having a hard time finding clothes that fit me.

I'm thin (a 29 or 30 waist size) but tall (6'3") with broad shoulders and a chest. Basically I'm very thin but muscular so if a shirt fits my shoulders and chest its probably too loose around my waist; if it fits my waist perfect its almost certainly way too tight around my chest or shoulders. Oh, and 70% of the time they are way too short as well.

Pants are awful to find too. I can get away with wearing a 32 length but they are just on the edge of being too short. I've never seen a 30 x 34 in any store and I'm sure a 29 x 34 doesn't even exist.

lol I went shopping with a female friend over the weekend to get a womans perspective on what looks good on me and she told me I'm worse than a girl because nothing fit me right.

Any advice?

Hello fashion guys.

So I'm trying to learn how to dress like an adult and I'm having a hard time finding clothes that fit me.

I'm thin (a 29 or 30 waist size) but tall (6'3") with broad shoulders and a chest. Basically I'm very thin but muscular so if a shirt fits my shoulders and chest its probably too loose around my waist; if it fits my waist perfect its almost certainly way too tight around my chest or shoulders. Oh, and 70% of the time they are way too short as well.

Pants are awful to find too. I can get away with wearing a 32 length but they are just on the edge of being too short. I've never seen a 30 x 34 in any store and I'm sure a 29 x 34 doesn't even exist.

lol I went shopping with a female friend over the weekend to get a womans perspective on what looks good on me and she told me I'm worse than a girl because nothing fit me right.

Any advice?
Nicer pants are usually unhemmed (like a 38"+ length for most of mine), and with dress shirts just make sure the shoulder, upper chest, and sleeves are well fitting. slimming down the lower chest/ab area is an easy alteration. Where are you shopping?

Any good Black Friday deals you guys are eyeing?

What kind of skin-tight jackets or thick-ass belts are you wearing where a belt would make a difference? Even with the one in your photo, I can't imagine a simple belt would affect that to any perceptible degree.

I'm just eyeing the overcoats I've been looking at, they're supposed to be marked down to $160 for black friday. I'm not really interested in anything else or it's not at any significant markdown that I can't just wait to buy it. Most deals I've seen so far from leaked ads don't really show much difference from normal sales throughout the year so I'm just waiting until I have more money.

Jos A Bank is having a sale on ties. That's all I know. Don't know the sale. But I will get many ties. Oh yes. Many ties.

Is Jos A Bank really that good of quality? You seem to get a huge boner from them.

Az987

all good things
Nicer pants are usually unhemmed (like a 38"+ length for most of mine), and with dress shirts just make sure the shoulder, upper chest, and sleeves are well fitting. slimming down the lower chest/ab area is an easy alteration. Where are you shopping?

Well I haven't gone to a bunch of different stores really. I usually shop at Macy's but I was trying things on in Express and nothing was fitting at all.

I really don't know what stores to look in honestly but money is kind of tight at the moment so I'm sure my options are limited.

Is it expensive to get a shirt altered? Would it be worth it on a $50 or so shirt?

Maybe you guys could recommend some cheaper places to look for decent clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom