• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

zethren

Banned
Is Jos A Bank really that good of quality? You seem to get a huge boner from them.

Man I've only mentioned them like maybe twice. And each time was the Black Friday sale.

Good selection of ties, but other than that I have no idea how their quality is. Haven't really ever bought anything else from them.

Man I've only mentioned them like maybe twice. And each time was the Black Friday sale.

Good selection of ties, but other than that I have no idea how their quality is. Haven't really ever bought anything else from them.

Haha, I don't know I don't frequent the thread that much it just seems like the last couple weeks I've seen you mention them a lot. I was just curious since I don't think there's a store for them that close to me so I've never been able to personally see the quality of their ties but it seems like they'll be $20 on black friday which may be a pretty good price depending.

zethren

Banned
Well I have one right near me so I stop in on the occasion haha.

I like the selection of tiez, so I'm gonna get some for sure.

I misspelled ties. And I'm leaving it.

Well I have one right near me so I stop in on the occasion haha.

I like the selection of tiez, so I'm gonna get some for sure.

I misspelled ties. And I'm leaving it.

Ya, I was thinking of getting a couple brooks brother ties and was wondering how these were in comparison. Unless they're super cheap I like to feel the material for the tie before buying them.

Musan

Jos A Bank is good for cheap cedar shoe trees. If their ties are like their suits but I bet you can do much better qualitywise if you look around.

As far as Black Friday goes, I'm going to brave the masses of Downtown Seattle and see if I can find any sweet deals in person. I know the high-end stores won't be having sales, but there are a few places like All Saints, H&M, Nordstrom Rack, and maybe even Macy's that I might be able to find some solid gear in. I'll be browsing online as well. Particularly looking for some black combat boots so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

I'll report back if I don't get trampled to death.

You've clearly never seen any of Zekes' posts. That has his name written all over it.

Is it expensive to get a shirt altered? Would it be worth it on a $50 or so shirt?

Maybe you guys could recommend some cheaper places to look for decent clothes.
Do you like the shirt? Does it work with multiple pieces in your wardrobe? If so, then yes, it's worth it. After all, you're looking for clothes that fit, and what better way than to tailor something so that it fits your body perfectly?

The price will depend on the job and who your tailor is. If it's something like just taking the back in or fixing up some sleeves, it shouldn't be much. You can always go in and get a quote before you make a decision.

I just got the most hideous Aeropostale shirt as a gift. So this is how they still stay in business, gifts that nobody wants.

I also got a bottle of Bulgari Man which is such a generic and overpowering scent it's like Bod in a fancier bottle. Can't believe this same brand makes my favorite cologne of all time, Aqua Marine. Trying to give it away unless some store takes items without receipts.

Dark brown, yeah. Med brown works too but is kinda trickier.

Lucky you're gonna brave h&m AND the rack this Friday? Bring a tazer.

I'm looking for black boot things too. Found some RL on eBay for $499, but they might be too combat-y

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=360502969407&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=53907965258
I'm going to try. Whether or not I'll make it inside, let alone buy anything, remains to be seen. Weapons will be brought.

Those boots are too combat-y for me as well. I sort of dig these from All Saints though. Hoping they have them in person on Friday.

I just got the most hideous Aeropostale shirt as a gift. So this is how they still stay in business, gifts that nobody wants.

I also got a bottle of Bulgari Man which is such a generic and overpowering scent it's like Bod in a fancier bottle. Can't believe this same brand makes my favorite cologne of all time, Aqua Marine. Trying to give it away unless some store takes items without receipts.
Hey you can always use it as a sleep shirt? That's what I always do with shirts I don't want. If it's patterned it could maybe make a decent scarf like Cosmic Bus said, but I have absolutely zero experience in that area whatsoever.

I remember when I was 17, I went on a cologne craze and literally bought like 7 different kinds within the year. I still have 5 of them, some of which are still around 75% full. It's sort of cool to see how my tastes have changed through the years. The cologne I bought that was my least favorite at the time is actually my current favorite now (Givenchy Pi). Likewise, my absolute favorite in high school (Nautica Voyage) I literally never wear anymore. Maybe you'll grow to like the cologne? Then again, if it's as bad as you say it is, maybe you won't. You can always light it on fire?

coldvein

Banned
finally received my jacket in the mail... one of the uniqlo ones that one of you fine gentlemen was pimping a while back. it's a liiiiiiiiiitle bit on the short side but i'm gonna roll with it. it's super warm and got here right on time for this shitty weather. i am stoked.

yonder

After lurking in this thread for a few months I feel like I've learnt a thing or two about dressing better, the main lesson being that proper fit is perhaps the important factor to consider. I would usually prioritize comfort over appearance, but now that I'm wearing better-fitting clothes I'm ironically more comfortable knowing that I look better.

Anyway, are there any other basic rules of dressing well, or do you guys know a "how to dress well guide" that you consider good? The OP had a bunch of great info, but more would always be welcome :)

After lurking in this thread for a few months I feel like I've learnt a thing or two about dressing better, the main lesson being that proper fit is perhaps the important factor to consider. I would usually prioritize comfort over appearance, but now that I'm wearing better-fitting clothes I'm ironically more comfortable knowing that I look better.

Anyway, are there any other basic rules of dressing well, or do you guys know a "how to dress well guide" that you consider good? The OP had a bunch of great info, but more would always be welcome :)

Don't over-accessorize.

Puddles

Banned
Picked up two sweet $70 Banana Republic sweaters at 50% off, one in dark red, the other in charcoal gray. I also got two good dress shirts at Express, also 50% off, one in medium blue, the other in burgundy.

My wardrobe is really starting to come together, at least for the winter months. I just need a better jacket, and maybe one more pair of shoes.

In regards to suits/blazers: The one thing you can't fix via a tailor is the shoulders. Anyone who tells you they can is lying.

Picked up two sweet $70 Banana Republic sweaters at 50% off, one in dark red, the other in charcoal gray. I also got two good dress shirts at Express, also 50% off, one in medium blue, the other in burgundy.

My wardrobe is really starting to come together, at least for the winter months. I just need a better jacket, and maybe one more pair of shoes.
It's always exciting to really start seeing your wardrobe come together, especially when you're doing an overhaul, like it appears you're doing. It's also cool to see a couple new guys in this thread who are starting to get into fashion more. I dig it.

Picked these up from Selfridges today. KG by Kurt Geiger 110 down to 69, i'm so lucky, they look so much better than in the image kind of want them in black too; maybe next month.

http://static.kurtgeiger.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/4/0496254309.jpg
The design is nice, but are they made out of plastic? Serious question. The shine makes them almost look like a toy.

In regards to suits/blazers: The one thing you can't fix via a tailor is the shoulders. Anyone who tells you they can is lying.

It's always exciting to really start seeing your wardrobe come together, especially when you're doing an overhaul, like it appears you're doing. It's also cool to see a couple new guys in this thread who are starting to get into fashion more. I dig it.

The design is nice, but are they made out of plastic? Serious question. The shine makes them almost look like a toy.

That was exactly my reaction. And isn't it wrong to wear brown shoes to a black tie event? I thought you had to wear black shoes to that?

Pocks

I'm having trouble finding shirts that fit to my liking. As a reference, an H&M medium fits my shoulders perfectly and my chest pretty well, but the stomach ends up too pillowy. With a small from H&M, well, it can't even fit my shoulders. I have to bunch up my arms like a t-rex just to get the damn thing on.

How much can I expect to spend to bring in the shirt a bit in the stomach area? I can't see it being worth it on a $25 to $50 shirt...

Any advice?

Zekes!

thinking about these boots:

jej9t85lximyr.jpg

Also anyone have any recs for (solid colour) flannels? I'm contemplating this Norse Projects one:

zethren

Banned

Fit, fit, fit. It's all about fit.

The most important aspect to consider is the fit. You can get clothing tailored, but you can also always size down when you buy shirts. Buy slim fit pants, and size down on shirts and jackets.

What I mean by size down is if you're normally a large in shirts, try medium. It will be a little bit tighter than you're used to at first, but I'm willing to bet it will fit you just fine and better than anything else you've worn before.

You want to cut down on excess fabric, essentially, which makes you look bigger. This also applies to cackies and chinos. Non-pleated are, in my opinion, ideal. But you can go with a single pleat and still be okay. Also you don't want them to taper at the bottom. You want them to be straight.

The second thing to consider is contrast and color coordination. Contrast is key. You don't want to wear all black. You don't want to wear all white. You want some interesting variation. Try a white shirt, gray vest, black tie, and a jacket that is a darker gray than the vest. Jeans would look good with this, and a nice pair of shoes. You have lots of contrasting, but matching colors going on here.

You can wear all brown if you want, which can look great. But if each item of clothing you're wearing is the same shade then it wouldn't look good. Keep contrast in mind. Also keep in mind what colors look good together.

And I totally agree with the "don't over accessorize" sentiment. For me in the morning, I grab my watch and if I'm wearing a tie (typically am) then I snap on my tie bar/clip. I wear glasses too, but can't help with those. Haha

Also if its a cold part of the year I'll add a scarf.

Too many bracelets, earrings, rings, etc can over complicate what could be a nice classy outfit.

The most important aspect to consider is the fit. You can get clothing tailored, but you can also always size down when you buy shirts. Buy slim fit pants, and size down on shirts and jackets.

What I mean by size down is if you're normally a large in shirts, try medium. It will be a little bit tighter than you're used to at first, but I'm willing to bet it will fit you just fine and better than anything else you've worn before.

You want to cut down on excess fabric, essentially, which makes you look bigger. This also applies to cackies and chinos. Non-pleated are, in my opinion, ideal. But you can go with a single pleat and still be okay. Also you don't want them to taper at the bottom. You want them to be straight.

The second thing to consider is contrast and color coordination. Contrast is key. You don't want to wear all black. You don't want to wear all white. You want some interesting variation. Try a white shirt, gray vest, black tie, and a jacket that is a darker gray than the vest. Jeans would look good with this, and a nice pair of shoes. You have lots of contrasting, but matching colors going on here.

You can wear all brown if you want, which can look great. But if each item of clothing you're wearing is the same shade then it wouldn't look good. Keep contrast in mind. Also keep in mind what colors look good together.

And I totally agree with the "don't over accessorize" sentiment. For me in the morning, I grab my watch and if I'm wearing a tie (typically am) then I snap on my tie bar/clip. I wear glasses too, but can't help with those. Haha

Too many bracelets, earrings, rings, etc can over complicate what could be a nice classy outfit.

I don't think you can screw up accessories unless you really go crazy. Wearing a watch, ring, and tie clip will never look bad. You'll pretty much know when there is too much. Something normal like a watch or glasses or wedding ring will never look out of place because they are necessary accessories.

yonder

Thanks for the advice! This is all starting to seem like common sense for me now, thankfully. I wish someone taught me these things years ago.

Lirlond

What's the easiest way to measure my size for a ring? I want to order one off ebay but I have no idea how.

Work out the circumference, a piece of string or something will do, and then use c=d*pi to find the diameter. That'll give you a rough idea of your finger size.

thinking about these boots:

Also anyone have any recs for (solid colour) flannels? I'm contemplating this Norse Projects one:
Those boots are fantastic. Do they come in black?

Again, I agree with just about everything here.

You can certainly wear all black, white, etc. The thing here is that pulling off a monochromatic color scheme is perhaps the hardest color scheme to pull off in fashion. One wrong move and you go from looking like a boss to a ninja. Don't be a ninja.

Alucrid

Banned
Those boots are fantastic. Do they come in black?

Again, I agree with just about everything here.

You can certainly wear all black, white, etc. The thing here is that pulling off a monochromatic color scheme is perhaps the hardest color scheme to pull off in fashion. One wrong move and you go from looking like a boss to a ninja. Don't be a ninja.

Monochromatic is easy. White shirt, grey pants, black shoes, black jacket.

I should clarify, I guess I don't really mean monochromatic as I do outfits of one color.

Obviously, monochromatic colors are easy to work together. As you said Alucrid, combining black, grey and white are easy outfit choices. Putting together all black, all white, all grey outfits tend to be more difficult from my perspective, because you really have to rely on different shades/materials as to not have the pieces totally blend into each other (hence the ninja comment). That's where it gets difficult.

i've been conditioned by gaf hop to read ninja as nigga, which made lucky's post pretty funny.
LOL yeah that would certainly change the context of my post.

Jubs

Is Uniqlo shipping usually slow? I bought a $10 V-neck shirt about a week and a half ago, and it still hasn't arrived. In fact, it seems like it's still in processing, as my card hasn't been charged yet.

barnone

I'm trying to find 2 pairs of shoes to buy, and I'd like some advice. I think I want a brown and a black pair of casual dressy shoes that look good with khakis and dark jeans respectively. My size, 13W, is pretty tough to find.

coldvein

Banned
Is Uniqlo shipping usually slow? I bought a $10 V-neck shirt about a week and a half ago, and it still hasn't arrived. In fact, it seems like it's still in processing, as my card hasn't been charged yet.

took me a little over a week to get my jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom