• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Picked this up today at ALDO for $30.

I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was full price, but for $30 bucks... I couldn't resist.

Ugh, the price went up to $38, but I bought a pair of those anyway. I needed a pair of casual shoes in a dark color, and that shoe looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for the heads up.

Now I just need a pair of good jeans and maybe some dark cords, and my wardrobe will be complete for the time being.

Could somebody suggest me a nice looking beanie or winter hat to wear around. Something that could also double for when I go out running and doesn't fall off easily. Thank you.

Az987

all good things
I'm wearing cashmere on my bare nips and thinking about this thread.

Sounds hot.

What do you folkoles use to clean your leather shoes? I have some saddle soap and some polish and some water proof spray. Do I need mink oil?

My Dad never taught me how to shine shoes. Dammit, why wasn't I born in the 1920s!

Thinking about getting a new peacoat to replace my old one I got last year (I lost about 40 lbs this year) but I'm thinking about seeing if I can get it tailored to try and save money.

Anyone else have their coats tailored and not regret it?

Mik2121

Yeah, a good look can be pulled off with football shoes. I bought some basketball boots and you can also pull off a good, casual look with those.
Great to know I'm not alone here, hahaha! :p

^can you? i always found it tacky wearing sports clothing if you're not playing/watching a sport or doing errands
Well, wearing something like a team jersey could perhaps be tacky, but even then it doesn't bother me much. I also wear more formal stuff now and then, but some jeans, a t-shirt and those shoes don't look so bad imo. I wouldn't go have dinner to a nice place wearing that (if only because my gf would probably be bothered, not me...), but for doing some shoppings or even going to work (game company) it's alright to me :p

Oh and most important of all, it's so damn comfy :)

Rookje

I checked out the Uniqlo in Union Square tonite. Tons of people in there, but everything seemed pretty picked apart size wise. Hardly any smalls in anything I wanted, and the staff all blamed hurricane sandy. They tailor (aka hem) your pants for free, but it takes 3 hrs. I bought some pants but couldn't hem them cause my flight left in 2 hrs. :(

Puddles

Banned
We had a Uniqlo in Daegu, South Korea when I lived there. Honestly, I thought it was decent at best. It's very surprising to see how popular that place is with Fashion-GAF.

EVOL 100%

Is the quality any good? I've always been wary.

In my experience Uniqlo's good for pants, not much else.

First outfit I bought with my first paycheck of all time:

lJ8TJ.jpg

Cheap jacket with a cheap shirt and a cheap tie and a cheap vest. Took me about $100. Considering the price I think it was an okay haul but I'm not very happy with the jacket. Thoughts?

In my experience Uniqlo's good for pants, not much else.

First outfit I bought with my first paycheck of all time:

lJ8TJ.jpg

Cheap jacket with a cheap shirt and a cheap tie and a cheap vest. Took me about $100. Considering the price I think it was an okay haul but I'm not very happy with the jacket. Thoughts?

Jacket seems to fit great,though I dunno ifi would wear it with a vest that is so similar in tone.

And what's on your lapel and finger?

EVOL 100%

Jacket seems to fit great,though I dunno ifi would wear it with a vest that is so similar in tone.

And what's on your lapel and finger?

Yeah, not gonna wear the vest with the jacket, that was just for the photo.

On the lapel some weird clip that came attached to the jacket which I'm going to throw out, and on the finger just a big ass ring.

Alright, one more opinion on the jacket and then I'll shut up. I'm not sure if I uploaded the wrong pick or I just took a terrible pick but I took another one this morning and I was wondering if you think it looks better. It comes in at the sides and such and it looks a like it fits my body type pretty well. I have a lot of photos in my camera so it's possible I uploaded a wrong one. One last time for opinions before I return it today if it still looks really unflattering. Thanks again for the suggestions guys!

EVOL 100%

Looks better than the last shot but it still doesn't look good.

It might because of the distortion in the shot (Had some trouble taking my picture too) but it just looks bad, sorry.

EVOL 100%

It looks.. puffy? And it looks too big for you. The whole thing just looks really off, which is why I think it might because of distortion from the photo.

^^ Pretty much what I was trying to say

The shoulders jut out and it looks all weird and boxy.

The shape of the thing is... not good. Makes you look fat, basically.

It comes in the sides more than it shows in the picture but I think the angle I have to take the picture at loses a lot of that. How should it look? The bottom sort of has to be boxy I'm assuming? I just honestly don't know how an overcoat should fit.

It looks.. puffy? And it looks too big for you. The whole thing just looks really off, which is why I think it might because of distortion from the photo.

^^ Pretty much what I was trying to say

Looks puffy everywhere or just certain places? I definitely can't go smaller since I can feel it's tight in my shoulders, not enough to limit mobility but I definitely can't go lower because of my shoulders.

Not a fashion guy, but to me it looks about a meter too long and gives me a "I'm about to flash my dick any second" vibe. I don't like that style of coat, maybe it would help if you have an image of a model wearing that coat that looks good.

EVOL 100%

Looks puffy everywhere or just certain places? I definitely can't go smaller since I can feel it's tight in my shoulders, not enough to limit mobility but I definitely can't go lower because of my shoulders.

The shoulders are fine, but it starts going to hell starting from the first button. It juts out at odd angles, when it should come in the sides. And it is a bit too long.

Here's a picture of what I think is a decent fit

aJX3Z.jpg

Try taking a picture from a larger distance from the mirror. It helps reducing the distortion.

Yoshiya

Well a full length overcoat isn't really to my taste so I can't say much. I think the problem might be that the garment isn't really slim fitting, but doesn't have enough distinct form or shape of its own such that it looks like you're filling out this big coat. The shoulders might be sitting tight, but they just look wrong in that pic, like they're obviously too large relative to you/the rest of the coat.

I'd say in that pic above it looks much better because it's contoured in such a way that the shape of the model's body can sort of be seen underneath as distinct from the coat. It also looks shorter, which helps avoid the peculiar swathed-in-fabric look you have going on.

The shoulders are fine, but it starts going to hell starting from the first button. It juts out at odd angles, when it should come in the sides. And it is a bit too long.

Here's a picture of what I think is a decent fit

aJX3Z.jpg

Try taking a picture from a larger distance from the mirror. It helps reducing the distortion.

Well that looks like a 3/4 or less overcoat (It's not even 3/4 I don't think since it seems way too far above his knee) where as mine is a full length overcoat.

Well a full length overcoat isn't really to my taste so I can't say much. I think the problem might be that the garment isn't really slim fitting, but doesn't have enough distinct form or shape of its own such that it looks like you're filling out this big coat. The shoulders might be sitting tight, but they just look wrong in that pic, like they're obviously too large relative to you/the rest of the coat.

I'd say in that pic above it looks much better because it's contoured in such a way that the shape of the model's body can sort of be seen underneath as distinct from the coat. It also looks shorter, which helps avoid the peculiar swathed-in-fabric look you have going on.

Hmm, I don't know. It look more form fitting overall since it's shorter but he's also not wearing a suit jacket underneath. Wearing an actual suit underneath adds to that bulkier feeling and I don't think it will ever look as slim as just a shirt underneath. Not sure though.

Not a fashion guy, but to me it looks about a meter too long and gives me a "I'm about to flash my dick any second" vibe. I don't like that style of coat, maybe it would help if you have an image of a model wearing that coat that looks good.

Haha, I'll try but I was looking before and like 99% of the pictures either but off well before their knees so you can't see the whole coat or they have their hands in their pockets and the jacket open so you don't see the fit when it's buttoned up. It's part of why it's so hard to find out how it should look.

Hmm I like this one too. How's it fit? Do they have a good return policy? The sale price is solid.

I think I have that exact peacoat but not sure I want to post after how my other jackets have gone. :p Mine didn't come with a scarf though but it's kenneth cole.

Edit: This is what mine looks like, it's Kenneth Cole Reaction but didn't come with a scarf. Please ignore my old south park pajamas please. ;)

EVOL 100%

Hmm, I don't know. It look more form fitting overall since it's shorter but he's also not wearing a suit jacket underneath. Wearing an actual suit underneath adds to that bulkier feeling and I don't think it will ever look as slim as just a shirt underneath. Not sure though.

That might be it.

Don't people mostly leave their topcoats open when they're wearing a jacket inside? How about a picture with your coat open?

Yoshiya

Maybe it'd look better open and with the suit jacket visible underneath? I just can't think of a way to wear something that large and shapeless without looking like a woolen pillar.

Also yeah on full length coats connoting (hah) someone about to expose themselves.

That might be it.

Don't people mostly leave their topcoats open when they're wearing a jacket inside? How about a picture with your coat open?

Maybe it'd look better open and with the suit jacket visible underneath? I just can't think of a way to wear something that large and shapeless without looking like a woolen pillar.

Also yeah on full length coats connoting (hah) someone about to expose themselves.

Haha, I'll try to take a picture in a little bit then with it open but I'm in the Northeast so I'm assuming sooner or later I'm going to want to have that thing completely buttoned because it's going to get cold.

I think the harsh angle of the shoulder is making things appear more columnar than youd like, stacking a padded shoulder on a padded shoulder will do that, and I don't know if there is an easy way to address it outside of getting an immaculately tailored overcoat, which is probably hard to achieve.

Have you considered something more like a balmacaan or car coat? They are generally looser in fit (especially the shoulders) and not quite as long, so it makes for a nice drapey silhouette rather than the stiff stuff going on here. Some balmacaans even have a raglan sleeve which makes them even more flowy.

I think the harsh angle of the shoulder is making things appear more columnar than youd like, stacking a padded shoulder on a padded shoulder will do that, and I don't know if there is an easy way to address it outside of getting an immaculately tailored overcoat, which is probably hard to achieve.

Have you considered something more like a balmacaan or car coat? They are generally looser in fit (especially the shoulders) and not quite as long, so it makes for a nice drapey silhouette rather than the stiff stuff going on here. Some balmacaans even have a raglan sleeve which makes them even more flowy.

Ya, so far it's mostly the price. I haven't been able to find a car coat that's cheaper but I've found full length overcoats that are. I really liked that calvin klein one that was a car coat a couple pages back but since it's not on sale like I thought it's still about $300 which is just tough to swallow right now. I could afford it in another month or two a lot easier but I'm not sure how cold it will be by then is my only concern.

Edit: This one is a car coat and I loved it but the $300 is just hard right now but in a month or two I could afford it fine it's just I don't know if I'll be freezing my ass off before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom