• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
wat.

I tend to prefer vneck sweaters unless I'm wearing it with an oxford button down collar or something (then it's crew).

sweaters in general make you look old, but you can modify it by going round necked and a size smaller to pump your pecs

vnecks never look good

zethren

Banned
True, I almost always receive compliments on my ties when I wear them. Though I'm never sure if people actually like my ties or if they just like the fact that I'm wearing one to begin with.

I believe that a good deal of the time I'm getting compliments simply for wearing a tie. But then they usually make a comment more specific to the tie.

I got some great compliments on a navy blue button down I wore a few days ago to work. Didn't wear a tie with it, and instead just wore it with the top button unbuttoned with a light brown pair of pants. Felt weird not wearing a tie with it, but it was nice.

Puddles

Banned
Allen Edmond Strands ordered.

I tried them on at Nordstroms the other day, and they were amazing. Can't wait to get them. They probably won't work with jeans, right?

Imo they can make you look old, but only if you wear large, puffy sweaters.

The question is, why you would wear a sweater that looks like that? There are plenty of good looking ones with good fit that don't make you look like you're wearing your grandfather's clothes.

I'll wear your granddad's clothes. I look incredible.

EulaCapra

What do you guys think of the v-neck sweater over shirt and tie look?

I'm kicking myself for getting all regular neck sweaters instead of v-necks and depriving myself of the chance to try that look out.
I think they look astounding. Works with cardigans too. Go with Argyle if you''re feeling like a preppy bitch.

Lunchbox

Banned
my cardigans are abap

cardigans are fedoras

what you think you look like

ln30C.jpg

what you actually look like

ogUYi.gif

I have yet to see anyone look good in a cardigan in person, but I may just have been unlucky. (Those I've seen were a bit too androgynous for my liking.)

I have yet to see anyone look good in a cardigan in person, but I may just have been unlucky. (Those I've seen were a bit too androgynous for my liking.)
strange, cardigans aren't tricky. i mean, here is one on a really old retired guy:
229754018460332377_Ojj85lPM_c.jpg

here is one from a dude who just got his first aarp magazine in the mail:
j-crew-cardigan.jpg

neither of these are androgynous

and in my search for tom ford cardigans ($2000+ pension price) the internet led me to this... amazing... thing.

http://fashionista.com/2012/05/fash...lmost-hoodie-free-makeover-for-facebooks-ipo/

strange, cardigans aren't tricky. i mean, here is one on a really old retired guy:
229754018460332377_Ojj85lPM_c.jpg

j-crew-cardigan.jpg

Yeah, maybe the ones I saw were the exceptions since they looked like they were stolen from something a (female) model would wear on a runway. The earlier "ponchos" in this thread evoked similar feelings...

While I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with calling myself pro-cardigan, I don't think I'm anti-cardigan anymore. (I'm not sure if I can handle the v-neck shirt + cardigan look yet, though.)

EVOL 100%

[IMGf]http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/229754018460332377_Ojj85lPM_c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGf]http://prepidemic.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/j-crew-cardigan.jpg?w=500[/IMG]

To pull off cardigans you have to be very slim and well built, which those two very much are. People like that aren't many in number but when you pull off cardigans, they look awesome.

I'm a skinny pasty guy so I can't. I'm working on that though.

Zeppelin

To pull off cardigans you have to be very slim and well built, which those two very much are. People like that aren't many in number but when you pull off cardigans, they look awesome.

I'm a skinny pasty guy so I can't. I'm working on that though.

Agreed. Fucking up a cardigan is real easy and a rather common sight.

Claiming a vnecks or crew necks never look good is crazy talk though.

I think they'll go perfectly with what i'm wearing, i'll gauge everyone's reaction too, maybe i'll be dressed terribly lol
I'll update sunday.

So with regards to my questionable high shine shoes for my work evening... I had a more than positive reaction. It wasn't strictly black tie, I wore a nice belt which complimented the shoes, a simple white shirt which had a great fit, no tie, smart skinny black trousers and a nice blazer.

I might try to put something like this together for new years, a little too much maybe but I love the thought behind it.

c20121101-hp-wmh-img

TTTR

Yeah but not on the international site. :)
The international sale last year started on december 26th but there was a founding member sale and many good items were gone when the normal sale started.

Pyrokai

Guys, which of these 3 coats suits me best? Looking for a peacoat/whatever the middle one is.

Un.

Deux.

Trois.

Honestly, I can't decide. I think the middle one is my favorite but I don't think the bib is removable, and that's something I think I might want in case I want to wear a scarf or something.

Also, which of these has the most longevity, style-wise? Which will still be "in style" 5 years from now and which one probably won't be at all? And which of these brands is considered best?

These will all be lightning deals on Amazon today, by the way. The first one is already on sale. Just a heads up.

zethren

Banned
I'm not sure I like that zip-able bib thing on the third pea coat.

I like the first pea coat, and I like the second jacket. So it really just depends. I love pea coats, though, so I'll nod in the direction of the one that comes with the scarf (I'm taking a craaazy shot in the dark here and assuming you can remove the scarf. Would be down right silly if you couldn't.).

Oh, and to answer your other question:

Pea coats are classic and will likely never go out of style. If you're worried about longevity, go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom