• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

Thought that was a new pic and was just typing 'that looks good actually', lol

Keep it open when it's bearable and button it when it gets cold then. If it really gets that cold I don't think you'd have to worry too much about looking good. Other people will be freezing and won't really have pay much attention.

Haha well it's on sale from $600 to $300 but it's still $300. :p The original leaked add for macy's on black friday said $160 but instead it's $300. Leaked ad was either fake or they changed it after it leaked. :(
That's a tough one man. That last one you posted is legitimately a great fitting overcoat, but yeah, it's getting cold and if the price is hard to do :/

That's a tough one man. That last one you posted is legitimately a great fitting overcoat, but yeah, it's getting cold and if the price is hard to do :/

Ya, exactly. That's why even if the full length doesn't look the best, if it's at least passable for this winter and then I get it in preparation for next year the shorter coat then I think I'll be ok.

sruckus

What do you guys think of this jacket?

hmprod

I bought it and like it. A little annoyed though since I bought a large and there were no more mediums. Really cheap for a fall coat I guess. I have a pea coat that ill wear for the winter.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm in the process of losing quite a bit of weight and am trying to learn the very basics of style and how to dress like a 33 year old man.

Not that I really have much of a life outside of work but more for self-confidence and it seems like something a fellow should know.

I'm on quite a restricted budget and to that end intend to hit up a thrift store in the coming weeks. I've got about 75-85 pounds to go anyway so I don't want to spend a ton on stuff that will be too big before long. For now I want to attend to what I can.

I've got a rather oval face and as I've lost weight I've become interested in perhaps some facial hair to accentuate the thinness of my face.

Lots of the sites I've checked have suggested a goatee. Does this seem like sound advice? I don't really know enough to make an informed decision yet, so I thought perhaps you gentlemen could lend your informed opinions.

Much appreciated.

EVOL 100%

I'm in the process of losing quite a bit of weight and am trying to learn the very basics of style and how to dress like a 33 year old man.

Not that I really have much of a life outside of work but more for self-confidence and it seems like something a fellow should know.

I'm on quite a restricted budget and to that end intend to hit up a thrift store in the coming weeks. I've got about 75-85 pounds to go anyway so I don't want to spend a ton on stuff that will be too big before long. For now I want to attend to what I can.

I've got a rather oval face and as I've lost weight I've become interested in perhaps some facial hair to accentuate the thinness of my face.

Lots of the sites I've checked have suggested a goatee. Does this seem like sound advice? I don't really know enough to make an informed decision yet, so I thought perhaps you gentlemen could lend your informed opinions.

Much appreciated.

Being a kid I can't really offer you any personal advice, but this site seems to be pretty good for tips on style and what not. It's been pretty helpful for me.

http://artofmanliness.com/category/dress-grooming/

Visceir

Got my tailored suitjacket today. The color is slightly darker than I wished it to be, but it's still really nice. It's dark blue but looks rather black in the pictures, I'll try to take better pictures in daylight.

Still having a light-blue one made, I was thinking about asking that one to be made a centimeter or two longer.

Tomodachi

I bought it and like it. A little annoyed though since I bought a large and there were no more mediums. Really cheap for a fall coat I guess. I have a pea coat that ill wear for the winter.
I tried it again this afternoon and finally decided to grab it, as you said it's so cheap there was actually no reason not too. I think it looks really nice for 40€. Took the XS size, lol. I'm really skinny and 1.70m. I'll post a picture maybe in the coming days so you guys can bash me :p

careful

Got my tailored suitjacket today. The color is slightly darker than I wished it to be, but it's still really nice. It's dark blue but looks rather black in the pictures, I'll try to take better pictures in daylight.

Still having a light-blue one made, I was thinking about asking that one to be made a centimeter or two longer.
Nice jacket. The current length is fine if you're going for a more casual look, but you could go longer if you're going for a more classic look.
Also, the shoulders seem a tiny bit too large from the shots (not that noticeable however). The pics are pretty blurry though and the angle is weird on the second pic, so it could just be me.

Much appreciated.

I personally have never seen a goatee that looks good but that could be my personal bias. In my opinion the best facial hair is the stubble look that guys like George Clooney or Hugh Jackman rock.

Horseticuffs

Thanks for the link and advice, guys. I'm going to do some more reading and do some real soul searching to try to find what look best suits me.

Fit looks good, but the pockets on the jacket look weirdly large. Are they functional? They seem to kill the line from your shoulders to waist.

EVOL 100%

Looks pretty good to me. Are the pockets supposed to flare out like that though?

Thanks for the link and advice, guys. I'm going to do some more reading and do some real soul searching to try to find what look best suits me.

A more specific article on building your wardrobe is this. It's good stuff.

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/04/16/how-to-build-a-manly-wardrobe-1/

bob page

Looks great. Length is perfect and modern.

Much appreciated.

Regarding the goatee, I think pretty much everybody look great wearing it, and when it comes to make your face look more thin, it's indeed the best choice.

The short beard (upper left in the picture)...

facial_hair_styles.gif

...is great too to make your face look more sculpted (your cheeks will look more "flat" and the cheekbones more prominent).

My general advice would be not to look at pictures to decide what's the best option but to experiment as much as possible with your own face (it will depend on how much facial hair you are able to grow), until you get a satisfactory look. In the worst case, you'll not like it, shave it off completely, wait a couple of weeks and try again a different look.

Cheers and good luck :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah models in modeling shoots tend to make everything look good.

Horseticuffs

Man, no way could I pull off the chin curtain. That being said, I'm fairly certain I can pull off the "hipster" on that chart so I'll give that a shot and see how it looks.

I've had goatees before and didn't care for how they looked but I look pretty different nowadays so maybe I'll be able to pull it off.

With the thread turning into Nipples |OT| again, I'll pose a question:

What is currently your most complimented item in your wardrobe?

For me, it's far and away my Timberland Lost History Chukkas (I've posted them here before). I get compliments on them every time I go out, without fail. My scarves are a close second but I think that's primarily because they stand out.

Anyone else?

My toj leather jacket, silver cp's or the glow in the dark balenciagas. Everything else is ignored completely ;_;

Were you wearing them at the meet? They did look nice.

coldvein

Banned

For me, it's far and away my Timberland Lost History Chukkas (I've posted them here before). I get compliments on them every time I go out, without fail. My scarves are a close second but I think that's primarily because they stand out.

Anyone else?

my mariners hat.

Anyone else?

My Charles and 1/2 brown bomber jacket. The vast majority of people I meet seem to not know a thing about the brands I'm into. I remember when I got my Supers no one in retail even knew what they were except for one guy at Saks.

EVOL 100%

Anyone else?

I get mostly complimented for my general wardrobe choices which is mostly just lots of suits and subdued colors (I'm told that I pull off the corporate suit look pretty well), not items.

I guess my shitty newsboy cap gets the most attention? That's mostly from the novelty though.

Yeah mac, pretty sure I was wearing them at the meet-up. I wear them just about everywhere now.

My Charles and 1/2 brown bomber jacket. The vast majority of people I meet seem to not know a thing about the brands I'm into. I remember when I got my Supers no one in retail even knew what they were except for one guy at Saks.
I know how that is. I have a couple of friends who are completely fashion-illiterate and every time I'm super excited about an outfit, they have absolutely no idea why. I usually get all denim nerd on them and they look at me like I'm speaking a different language.

I get mostly complimented for my general wardrobe choices which is mostly just lots of suits and subdued colors (I'm told that I pull off the corporate suit look pretty well), not items.

I guess my shitty newsboy cap gets the most attention? That's mostly from the novelty though.
A nice suit will definitely catch the attention of just about anyone. No better feeling than putting on a nicely fitted suit.

Alucrid

Banned
Not really compliments, but every time I wear a hidden placket shirt someone says something about it not having any buttons. Otherwise it's the ToJ leather.

I just realized that tomorrow at work is going to be every single person saying something about my haircut :|

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What about my chest hair should I let it flow out of my V-neck or go wax?

Something to consider: exposed chest hair significantly increases the chance of me jumping on you like a wild animal, so cover up (or not!) depending on the appeal of said situation ;)

Either the brown leather boots I bought a couple months ago - first triple digit article of clothing I've ever bought - or my $50 H&M coat that people bizarrely keep mistaking for some designer thing, hah.

zethren

Banned

It's a tie (lol) between my cords, peacoat, and a few of my ties. Actually I get complimented a lot just for the fact that I wear a tie clip with my ties as well.

Though I'd have to say my ties, combined with the clip which I wear almost daily, get the most compliments. Wearing a solid purple tie right now, and feeling pretty good. Haha

Also just bought a navy blue knit tie with white stripes today, as well as a forest green/blue plaid silk tie. Help.

Shiv47

If people say anything, it usually relates to the whole outfit. But I have gotten compliments on my TOJ jacket, and a pair of Alexander McQueen boots. Oh, and a vintage blue velvet vest I picked up on ebay that miraculously fit like it was made for me.

Puddles

Banned
I've received a few compliments on my Clark's Desert Boots since I got them. My all-time most complimented item is probably a tailored gray suit I have.

Also I am really tempted to buy the Allen Edmond Strands on sale and return the Ben Shermans I got. The Strands are a cap toe, while the Ben Shermans are wingtips, but they're similar enough to be somewhat redundant, and I'd rather have the AEs.

Not really compliments, but every time I wear a hidden placket shirt someone says something about it not having any buttons. Otherwise it's the ToJ leather.

I just realized that tomorrow at work is going to be every single person saying something about my haircut :|
Did you post pictures of your cut in the hair thread?

Either the brown leather boots I bought a couple months ago - first triple digit article of clothing I've ever bought - or my $50 H&M coat that people bizarrely keep mistaking for some designer thing, hah.
I remember the first time I went over $100 for an article of clothing. I remember telling myself, "never will I do this again." Next thing you know, I'm considering buying a $1200 suit. Times change lol.

It's a tie (lol) between my cords, peacoat, and a few of my ties. Actually I get complimented a lot just for the fact that I wear a tie clip with my ties as well.

Though I'd have to say my ties, combined with the clip which I wear almost daily, get the most compliments. Wearing a solid purple tie right now, and feeling pretty good. Haha

Also just bought a navy blue knit tie with white stripes today, as well as a forest green/blue plaid silk tie. Help.
True, I almost always receive compliments on my ties when I wear them. Though I'm never sure if people actually like my ties or if they just like the fact that I'm wearing one to begin with.

If people say anything, it usually relates to the whole outfit. But I have gotten compliments on my TOJ jacket, and a pair of Alexander McQueen boots. Oh, and a vintage blue velvet vest I picked up on ebay that miraculously fit like it was made for me.
Never been a huge Alexander McQueen fan but he has some badass scarves. Doesn't quite justify the $300 price point however.

I've received a few compliments on my Clark's Desert Boots since I got them. My all-time most complimented item is probably a tailored gray suit I have.

Also I am really tempted to buy the Allen Edmond Strands on sale and return the Ben Shermans I got. The Strands are a cap toe, while the Ben Shermans are wingtips, but they're similar enough to be somewhat redundant, and I'd rather have the AEs.
Do it. I have nothing against Ben Sherman but the Allen Edmonds are as good as it's going to get. I'm tempted to buy a pair myself.

bob page

Ben Sherman shoe quality is pretty poor (not as good as their shirts) and they'd probably only last you a year. Invest in the AE's- it's worth it.

Puddles

Banned
What do you guys think of the v-neck sweater over shirt and tie look?

I'm kicking myself for getting all regular neck sweaters instead of v-necks and depriving myself of the chance to try that look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom