• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

I'd take the third one if the scarf was removable. The third one has a better shape and fit than the first one imo. Second jacket just isn't my thing so no real opinions there.

All three seem to be free from fads and trends. They all look like they'll have a good amount of longevity. I have no clue about brands in general though.

Pyrokai

The scarf is definitely removable on that third one. Now I'm leaning towards it....hmmm....

Thanks for the input though, guys! Any other place having nice coat sales today? I'm heading to JCPenny.com now :>

bob page

The scarf is definitely removable on that third one. Now I'm leaning towards it....hmmm....

Thanks for the input though, guys! Any other place having nice coat sales today? I'm heading to JCPenny.com now :>
Uniqlo wool and down coats are $79 today- not many sizes left online though.

zethren

Banned
At the risk of sounding like a whore for the store (rhyme intended, brah) again, Jos A Bank is having a 70% off on their ties sale until the end of tomorrow. They are nice ties, at least the few I bought the other day.

Blackhead

Redarse
Unfortunately not on sale today but what do you guys think?

Dents Touch Screen Cashmere-Lined Leather Gloves | MR PORTER
bNZml.jpg

Not a fan of leather gloves to be honest but want something warm with the touch screen feature...

TTTR

I don't own any Dents gloves but from what i've heard the quality seems decent and they keep your hands warm. Leather will probably show some wear quickly but it shouldn't be bad.

Go big or go home.

tumblr_mahr31S6M81qbzysno1_500.jpg

I've always thought about messing with facial hair but it never looks right and only makes you appear older. Seems like some guys can pull it off if they are already super handsome to begin with.

dat hair, but not dat hairline

also he can pull it off because the guy looks like a model

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't own any Dents gloves but from what i've heard the quality seems decent and they keep your hands warm. Leather will probably show some wear quickly but it shouldn't be bad.
Thanks there is also this on sale:
Burberry Touch Screen Leather Gloves | MR PORTER
Doesn't have the cashmere lining and still more expensive than the Dents. There was another pure cashmere Burberry on sale that came out cheaper than the leather Dents but I can't find it anymore on porters.

Puddles

Banned
All you people and your cold weather gear. Living in Los Angeles, there is very little need to splurge on scarves or gloves. I might get a scarf just as an accessory though. I'm thinking something kind of bright or with a nice pattern would go well with my black jacket or my single-color sweaters.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I might get a scarf just as an accessory though. I'm thinking something kind of bright or with a nice pattern would go well with my black jacket or my single-color sweaters.

I had a nice lightweight turquoise scarf on the other afternoon until a bird shit on me and I had to throw it in the trash ;__;

All you people and your cold weather gear. Living in Los Angeles, there is very little need to splurge on scarves or gloves. I might get a scarf just as an accessory though. I'm thinking something kind of bright or with a nice pattern would go well with my black jacket or my single-color sweaters.

in nyc you can wear a jacket 1/2 the year here

last time I was in downtown I wore my friend's black tube/infinity scarf over a dark gray henley for kicks and I fit right in

Also in Southern California at least we bust out the coats for much warmer weather than everywhere else. Like as soon as it hits 50 everyone is in coats, scarves and beanies

it's kind of embarrassing

Up in NorCal (I work in SF), I usually wear a jacket 3/4 of the year really. On occasion, I'll use a scarf but I'll wear my beanie at night for the most part as the East Bay will dip into the 30s - 40s (or colder) during the fall/winter.

Lirlond

Worst part about living in a cold country is I'm wearing a bulky ass north face 90% of the time. Keeps me warm though. I can dress well when I'm going to a party or something.

Those khaki cords btw? Fantastic.

Pyrokai

Ugh....I'm still so torn on buying a coat!!

For this coat, do you think it would look good with a hooded jacket underneath as well? And is this "removable scarf" just draped around the guy? I mean....that's not where I'd put the scarf, you know. Don't they go around the neck and fill out the exposed part?

I'm just wondering what you guys think. This is my current coat, and something about it rubs me the wrong way. I think it's just too big, but it's still practical and it has the bib which I do kind of like, I just wish it were removable.

This photo is a little awkward, but I want to know if it looks too big on me. I think that's the main problem. I also wonder if the length of the Amazon coat is the same or shorter than this one. I'm hoping it's a little shorter.

IMG_20121126_183946.jpg

All this makes me think that I should just go out to stores or the mall and look for a coat instead of shopping online so I can try them on. This is what gets me about online clothes shopping! I don't know how you guys do it!

Where is a good place to go that will have a huge selection of modern coats to browse, that isn't expensive as all get-out, and doesn't have the gross feeling of Burlington Coat Factory and the rejected coat models from the previous year? :p . This place sounds like a dream, but maybe you guys know what's up.

zethren

Banned

For this coat, do you think it would look good with a hooded jacket underneath as well? And is this "removable scarf" just draped around the guy? I mean....that's not where I'd put the scarf, you know. Don't they go around the neck and fill out the exposed part?

I'm just wondering what you guys think. This is my current coat, and something about it rubs me the wrong way. I think it's just too big, but it's still practical and it has the bib which I do kind of like, I just wish it were removable.

This photo is a little awkward, but I want to know if it looks too big on me. I think that's the main problem. I also wonder if the length of the Amazon coat is the same or shorter than this one. I'm hoping it's a little shorter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/starzz512/IMG_20121126_183946.jpg[/

All this makes me think that I should just go out to stores or the mall and look for a coat instead of shopping online so I can try them on. This is what gets me about online clothes shopping! I don't know how you guys do it!

Where is a good place to go that will have a huge selection of modern coats to browse, that isn't expensive as all get-out, and doesn't have the gross feeling of Burlington Coat Factory and the rejected coat models from the previous year? :p . This place sounds like a dream, but maybe you guys know what's up.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it doesn't hug your body enough. You should be able to get it tailored for a snugger fit. I don't know how you buy jackets, but I always size down. Or sometimes size the same as my shirt.
I wear a men's medium shirt. My pea coat is a men's medium. It would be too big at large, in my opinion. Doing that, it hugs my form better.

Pyrokai

It IS a medium....which is what I wear in shirts.....I'm thinking it's just a poorly tailored coat....but I hate to get rid of it when there's nothing inherently wrong with it other than its fit.

What do you guys think? Should I keep this or bite on that Amazon deal, which ends soooooon?

Unless you guys are able to point me toward that miracle store I described above :p

zethren

Banned
Yeah, I mean it does look big on you. You really could just go visit a tailor and see what they say. Get a quote and maybe just getting it tailored will make you happier with it.

Bite on that amazon deal if you really want it, man. Buying the new coat won't render your old one useless. You can always get it tailored in the future and have two coats.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
What up guys, I need some help. I'm looking for an overcoat/topcoat, as I'm going to be interviewing and hopefully working in a cold place, and I'm having some trouble. I've found a few things that I like, but when I first started googling around I found this image:

overcoat_062308.jpg

It's a 4200$ prada coat, and I'm not really up for spending that much, any ideas for a good copycat? I've got a slim build and I'm looking for a nice coat to complement that, my primary concern is not looking like I'm wearing a box.

What up guys, I need some help. I'm looking for an overcoat/topcoat, as I'm going to be interviewing and hopefully working in a cold place, and I'm having some trouble. I've found a few things that I like, but when I first started googling around I found this image:

overcoat_062308.jpg

It's a 4200$ prada coat, and I'm not really up for spending that much, any ideas for a good copycat? I've got a slim build and I'm looking for a nice coat to complement that, my primary concern is not looking like I'm wearing a box.
I have this j crew coat and it's done me well through 3 Chicago winters so far. I've gotten a lot of complements on it as well.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/topcoats/PRDOVR~99485/99485.jsp

You can make your own muscle fit shirts like Ronnie Coleman.
I'd love to see how ridiculous that guys looks in a suit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/starzz512/IMG_20121126_183946.jpg[/*IMG]

[B]All this makes me think that I should just go out to stores or the mall and look for a coat instead of shopping online so I can try them on.[/B] This is what gets me about online clothes shopping! I don't know how you guys do it!

Where is a good place to go that will have a huge selection of modern coats to browse, that isn't expensive as all get-out, and doesn't have the gross feeling of Burlington Coat Factory and the rejected coat models from the previous year? :p . This place sounds like a dream, but maybe you guys know what's up.[/QUOTE]
The coat looks a little big, but I don't think that's the main problem, I think it's just cut poorly. Most likely, it's cut very traditionally, and not in the slim/modern fashion you're looking for. You find that a lot, particularly in overcoats. If you like the coat, you should be able to get it tailored. Getting it tailored will certainly cost a fraction of what buying a brand new coat will cost. Then again, if you want to just start over and get something completely new, I can respect that.

In the case that you do want to buy a new coat, I bolded the most important part of your post. Yes, you absolutely should go out and try on coats. Buying clothes online is a crapshoot unless you know your exact size or the website gives measurements. There's too much variation between brands to really know for sure what you're going to get. I could write a whole post on this itself, but ultimately what you should be doing is browsing some stores for coats you like or are similar to coats you like online. Grab three different sizes and see how they feel/look. I'm not sure where you're located, but it sounds like a Macy's might be a nice starting point for you, store wise. If you're willing to spend more money, try hitting Nordstrom's (they have their men's sale starting Dec. 26th). Find the best dressed salesman in the store and ask him for his help, if you need it. Hope that helps and good luck shopping.

[quote="Procarbine, post: 44786109"]What up guys, I need some help. I'm looking for an overcoat/topcoat, as I'm going to be interviewing and hopefully working in a cold place, and I'm having some trouble. I've found a few things that I like, but when I first started googling around I found this image:

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TT43jnj4_1c/UHr5a-qnesI/AAAAAAAACbY/rLF87sTfJiQ/s1600/overcoat_062308.jpg

I'm not going to be of much help here, as I don't have any specific reccommendations for you, but you shouldn't have to spend $4200 to get what you're looking for (although that coat IS beautiful). For even half that price range, I'd think you'd be able to get something of fantastic quality.

EDIT: That J. Crew coat posted above looks great.

zchen

overcoat_062308.jpg

Indochino?

or BR?

What's the consensus on those puffy down jackets?

They're so comfortable, but everyone I have asked say that they are pretty ugly. I don't think they are...

I'm just gonna cross-post a pic from the 'pics of yourself' thread of myself wearing one of them. Find your opinions and give them to me.

zethren

Banned
What's the consensus on those puffy down jackets?

They're so comfortable, but everyone I have asked say that they are pretty ugly. I don't think they are...

I'm just gonna cross-post a pic from the 'pics of yourself' thread of myself wearing one of them. Find your opinions and give them to me.

Yeti, I'm going to give you my honest opinion.

It looks like a sleeping bag. :/

Of course if you really, really like it you should wear what you like. But there are way classier, better jackets out there!

/.50 cents. See, I put a whole extra .48 cents worth of opinion in there for ya.

luckyboyceo said:
Like this?

Oh god. lol

Quoting for a new page, because I'm a thread wizard and seem to always get top page. And also so that all of GAF can see dat swag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom