• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Can you guys help me out with some suit fashion advice? Going to Thailand and want to get a nice couple of suits

Something for work, with a sense of style but formal. And a stylish sport jacket?

I need help with styles, materials (something cooler that I won't sweat into) etc. as I've never bought a tailored suit

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Need some advice again!

Does anyone know the proper amount of time that should be given between each wash of dark blue Jeans? Also, what settings to use?

Also, these are from H & M, and on the tag say that the pair is NOT pre washed. Is this bad? I really need answers so I do not ruin another pair...

Sean2 said:
Need some advice again!

Does anyone know the proper amount of time that should be given between each wash of dark blue Jeans? Also, what settings to use?

Also, these are from H & M, and on the tag say that the pair is NOT pre washed. Is this bad? I really need answers so I do not ruin another pair...

generally, unless i spill something on my jeans or they smell like smoke or something, i'll do everything i can to avoid washing.

but if you must, cold water, hang dry.

so i bought these for pretty cheap off ebay

6215727287_3745d20634_z.jpg

Sean2 said:
Need some advice again!

Just wash them unless you are hardcore about high contrast fades. They are just cotton. If they are shrink to fit theyll shrink a size but I doubt that is the case.

I would hang dry them, though, as dryers aren't the best on clothes, and a pair of crisp, line dried jeans is a wonderful thing.

Stryder

Hey guys,

Spring racing carnival is coming up for me in Melbourne and I'm looking for a tie to match my current clothing I plan to wear. I have this suit which I'm planning to wear:

ralph-lauren-black-label-gray-anthony-pinstripe-wool-suit-product-4-615484-633722224_full.jpeg

I have a white shirt which I plan to wear along with black capped shoes and a navy (with white polka dot) pocket square.

j1_1_2.jpg

I'm thinking a cream, pale pink, or even navy tie (which I have a nice one already) would go well with the rest of this. Any other tie colour suggestions?

I know people say you shouldn't match the colour of the tie with the pocket square, but it is really such a travesty?

Blue and white repp tie is the correct answer.

BTW, You are most def welcome to match tire and ps colors until you develop an eye for complimentary colors. What you don't want to do is match the patterns... So please stay away from those "bundles" where you get a tie and ps cut from the exact same cloth. And if you do buy those, at least have the decency to wear em separately.

Edit: Found a few

http://www.thetiebar.com/mobile/ord...arch.asp?target=Blue+stripe&fr=71&searchType=

http://www.thetiebar.com/mobile/ord...rch.asp?target=Blue+stripe&fr=161&searchType=

http://www.thetiebar.com/mobile/tie...rch.asp?target=Blue+stripe&fr=111&searchType=

Stryder

Thanks RJNavarrete, I do have a couple of ties of the same colour which I believe would go well, and they certainly aren't of the same fabric so I think I'll go with either of those. Good to hear it isn't an absolute no no.

Xun said:
Picked it up from T.K. Maxx.

It's a DKNY jacket worth £400

Jealouse. My Tk.Maxx is rubbish! Best bargain has to be my favourite boots £140 down to £40 and I keep seeing them in House of Fraser and sauch for £110!

Other than those it can be veryvery hit or miss!

Johnlenham said:
Jealouse. My Tk.Maxx is rubbish! Best bargain has to be my favourite boots £140 down to £40 and I keep seeing them in House of Fraser and sauch for £110!

Other than those it can be veryvery hit or miss!
Yeah, some of those stores (Marshall's TJ Max, etc) can have some crazy shit at bargain prices. I once saw a $2k jacket for about $300. Not my size or style so I didn't look into it further.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Could somone recommend me a good quality, but thin wallet? I have maybe 5 cards I carry with me and just a few bills. My current wallet is fat for no reason. I am moving to Japan for a few months starting in December, so if it is large enough to hold Yen, then that would be great. The largest bill is 160 × 76 mm. I am in the US.

speaking of h&m, i'm on a budget and i was thinking about going to get some boots or chukkas there. are they comfortable? i was thinking of just getting some padded insoles, but if the rest of the product is crappy quality...then I'll just pass.

hermit7

adam.chance said:
Could somone recommend me a good quality, but thin wallet? I have maybe 5 cards I carry with me and just a few bills. My current wallet is fat for no reason. I am moving to Japan for a few months starting in December, so if it is large enough to hold Yen, then that would be great. The largest bill is 160 × 76 mm. I am in the US.
Do you absolutely need to hold the bills? I have a saddleback leather wallet (the small one) and while there is a compartment for bills I just carry all cash in my pocket folded up.

May be an option for you.

bob page

kevo_huevo said:
speaking of h&m, i'm on a budget and i was thinking about going to get some boots or chukkas there. are they comfortable? i was thinking of just getting some padded insoles, but if the rest of the product is crappy quality...then I'll just pass.
Given the quality of regular H&M items, I'd expect their shoes to be even worse and would avoid them. I'd assume they'd either fall apart quickly or be terribly uncomfortable.

hermit7 said:
Do you absolutely need to hold the bills? I have a saddleback leather wallet (the small one) and while there is a compartment for bills I just carry all cash in my pocket folded up.

I will second this. I love their small wallet, and you can carry a small bit of cash if you need to, although it's not super easy to get at if you are using it all the time.

adam.chance

Neo Member
hermit7 said:

I will second this. I love their small wallet, and you can carry a small bit of cash if you need to, although it's not super easy to get at if you are using it all the time.

I normally do not carry more than $20 or $40 at a time, but Japan is a cash based economy, so I will need to carry cash on me every day. I will also need a coin purse, because 500Yen ($6) and below are in coins.

adam.chance said:
I normally do not carry more than $20 or $40 at a time, but Japan is a cash based economy, so I will need to carry cash on me every day. I will also need a coin purse, because 500Yen ($6) and below are in coins.

Look up Chester Mox. Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't provide a link. Also, their shop in Etsy usually is cheaper than their website

Gila

adam.chance said:
Dosh Wallets have some nice and nifty ones, I'm thinking about getting a Luxe one. It might not fit your needs though

Eric WK

kevo_huevo said:

Just find a deal on some Clarks. Really.

I got a pair of beeswax Clarks for $45 on the JC Penney website a couple months ago.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alucrid said:
Just bought this shirt.

img_0063-1.jpeg

So fucking hyped for my first WvG shirt.
This is what I am looking for, where did you get it? Also any alternatives that won't break the bank?

Trying to find clothes in places other than department stores in Iowa is rough, especially without much cash.

Alucrid

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
This is what I am looking for, where did you get it? Also any alternatives that won't break the bank?

Trying to find clothes in places other than department stores in Iowa is rough, especially without much cash.

wolfvsgoat.com, sadly it will break the bank.

CFMOORE!

Deadly Cyclone said:

i am quite sure you can find a dark button down that isn't a dumb price. sure it won't have mother of pearl buttons! but who gives a fuck. looking at that shirt why did you exclaim "that's what I am looking for?" there's literally nothing special about that shirt at a glance. are you talking about fit? just get it tailored for like $15 after spending maybe $40-$60 someplace. granted, all in, that's still a slightly expensive shirt, but you can find much cheaper alternatives.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CFMOORE! said:
i am quite sure you can find a dark button down that isn't a dumb price. sure it won't have mother of pearl buttons! but who gives a fuck. looking at that shirt why did you exclaim "that's what I am looking for?" there's literally nothing special about that shirt at a glance. are you talking about fit? just get it tailored for like $15 after spending maybe $40-$60 someplace.
The fit and look. You'd be surprised, I can't find any shirts around here that are button up and look good untucked. It's stupid. May head to the mall this weekend though.

CFMOORE!

Deadly Cyclone said:
The fit and look. You'd be surprised, I can't find any shirts around here that are button up and look good untucked. It's stupid. May head to the mall this weekend though.

i know shopping online has its risks with regard to fit, but that might be your best bet if Iowa really is holding you back in terms of local shopping.

Alucrid

Banned
CFMOORE! said:
i am quite sure you can find a dark button down that isn't a dumb price. sure it won't have mother of pearl buttons! but who gives a fuck. looking at that shirt why did you exclaim "that's what I am looking for?" there's literally nothing special about that shirt at a glance. are you talking about fit? just get it tailored for like $15 after spending maybe $40-$60 someplace. granted, all in, that's still a slightly expensive shirt, but you can find much cheaper alternatives.

Fabric and fit are huge parts of it. Sure, you can get a cheap shirt tailored but the quality of the fabric and construction will still be lacking. I have trouble thinking of any shirt that cost ~60 that haven't started to have ripped threads, color loss, or wearing on the edges. It's tough finding good shirts in terms of fit and construction. Sure, Express shirts fit great, too bad not even half a year in and the threads are already starting to rip. For shirts that I need to tailor I often find myself having to get it darted, then having to get the tails shortened, then having to get the sleeves shortened, and by the end of it it's not even worth it, especially considering that I can never find a good tailor in my area. So yeah, I'll gladly pay a 'dumb price' for a good shirt.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
kevo_huevo said:

Was looking at some boots there last weekend and had the same reservations. While I've got no complaints with their clothes, I just feel hesitant with footwear unless it's from, y'know, a shoe company. A shame, really, because even though Clarks and the like are always the go-to boot for guys right now, they're just so... safe and bland. I want something with a bit of personality, but apparently that has to equal big bucks. :\

Alucrid

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Was looking at some boots there last weekend and had the same reservations. While I've got no complaints with their clothes, I just feel hesitant with footwear unless it's from, y'know, a shoe company. A shame, really, because even though Clarks and the like are always the go-to boot for guys right now, they're just so... safe and bland. I want something with a bit of personality, but apparently that has to equal big bucks. :\

1) Buy Clarks
2) Splatter different colored paint on them
3) ???
4) Profit

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I would do that if I ever found a pair of Clarks or something similar at Goodwill in my size, but not on a full priced pair.

CFMOORE!

Alucrid said:
Fabric and fit are huge parts of it. Sure, you can get a cheap shirt tailored but the quality of the fabric and construction will still be lacking. I have trouble thinking of any shirt that cost ~60 that haven't started to have ripped threads, color loss, or wearing on the edges. It's tough finding good shirts in terms of fit and construction. Sure, Express shirts fit great, too bad not even half a year in and the threads are already starting to rip. For shirts that I need to tailor I often find myself having to get it darted, then having to get the tails shortened, then having to get the sleeves shortened, and by the end of it it's not even worth it, especially considering that I can never find a good tailor in my area. So yeah, I'll gladly pay a 'dumb price' for a good shirt.

i get there's a quality aspect, and this seems to always be something people speak about. but jesus, it makes me wonder what you guys do to your clothes if they somehow fall apart so easily when you only buy a $60 shirt compared to a $160 one. i see a small thread on a button up of mine, i cut it and don't care. so long as you're not pulling on it and destroying your shirt it's going to hold. As for materials, the only thing I can maybe care about is how it will feel against my skin, but again, even that isn't a huge deal as I usually wear an undershirt.

Alucrid

Banned
CFMOORE! said:
i get there's a quality aspect, and this seems to always be something people speak about. but jesus, it makes me wonder what you guys do to your clothes if they somehow fall apart so easily when you only buy a $60 shirt compared to a $160 one. i see a small thread on a button up of mine, i cut it and don't care. so long as you're not pulling on it and destroying your shirt it's going to hold. As for materials, the only thing I can maybe care about is how it will feel against my skin, but again, even that isn't a huge deal as I usually wear an undershirt.

Where the sleeves connect to the body, some of those threads are just....well gone, leaving about an inch without anything holding them together. The edges on the collar and cuffs are fading fast too, you can already see the fabric wearing through and a noticeable loss of color. It's not like I wear them all the time either, just half a year for work. Maybe once every week or two.

Rookje

parasight said:
Fuck the TOJ1 2011 pics are coming out now, and it looks so nice. Definitely going to cop one. Curious to see the other colorways though.
Fkkkk, where do I buy?

Edit: NM

r4z4

I'm looking to buy a few chinos for work and really like the look of Dockers D1s. The problem is it's a pain finding them in the UK in my size (30/30) and when you can find them, on the Dockers website, they go for £80-£90 a pair! 

You can get them on the US website for about $35 a pair at the moment and I was going to buy them there and Bundle Box them to the UK.

Before I do that though has Manshion Gaf got and tips on buying from the US or alternative suggestions? Thanks. 

Gila

General question for all of you fashiongaf, what do you honestly think of people that dress formally (even semi-formally) on an everyday occasion when their lives don't necessarily need to be formal.

Like a university student that comes to class with his shirt tucked in and dress shoes with a messenger bag or something?

I'm so comfortable wearing formal clothing, and I love it..but the environment I'm in currently - no one wears shit like this unless its an occasion. Even at clubs guys think they dress up so good with a dress shirt and jeans + dress pants. But they all look the fucking same lol

bob page

Gila said:
General question for all of you fashiongaf, what do you honestly think of people that dress formally (even semi-formally) on an everyday occasion when their lives don't necessarily need to be formal.

Like a university student that comes to class with his shirt tucked in and dress shoes with a messenger bag or something?

I'm so comfortable wearing formal clothing, and I love it..but the environment I'm in currently - no one wears shit like this unless its an occasion. Even at clubs guys think they dress up so good with a dress shirt and jeans + dress pants. But they all look the fucking same lol
Depends on what they look like, I guess. If they look like a tool and they're trying too hard, then it's lame. Back in college, I used to always try to dress up more than the average guy. But since the average college guy dresses like shit with wife beaters, sweat pants, etc, this wasn't too hard. I definitely wouldn't wear slacks or anything for regular day, but I don't think there's a problem with wanting to look good and wearing a casual button-down shirt with nice jeans (and messenger bags aren't formal, bro. Adults wear them to carry things).

Alucrid

Banned
Gila said:

I have to wear a suit every day. I would kill to be able to just wear jeans and a button down shirt.

But yeah, it's pretty situational as said above. If you're going to class at 8am and go in a full suit and tie just to dress 'formal' you'll probably look like a douche.

What a relief to hear a guy who knows what the fuck he is talking about say "you did well picking this suit"!

Got stung like fuck when the £95 suit deal did not include the suit that I had allready mentally bought but it was infact £95 for the jacket alone. Cost me £165 for the suit/tie/shirt and then another £15 to get the trousers tailored.

Went to the tailor and it was a guy I found on google with good reviews, I thought it was a shop turns out it an ex fashion-suit fitter doing some work onthe side from home.
I said I had never bought a suit before and literally had no real idea of what I was doing or what would need doing so he had me try it all on and checked it all out.
He seemed really impressed by the quality of it (his words) and he expected cheap materials (apparently not) and so on and said I did really well as he didnt need to do a thing to it!
massive relief after allready going £40 over budget!

Picking the trousers up tuesday so ill get a pic up then! now I just need a shit load of occasions to wear it to to get my moneys worth aha

bob page

And just to clarify, I dont really consider a button-down and jeans to be dressing up. It depends on the shirt, as some are only formal, but as long as they're not with slacks then I wouldn't mind it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cosmic Bus said:

probably not what you're doing for, but the brown leather sperry ankle chukkas (i don't know if that's what they are, but they're awesome) have a bit more personality than the low-top ones. i mean, the low ones are awesome, but i don't see many people wearing the ankle height ones, fwiw. but maybe you mean even more bold than that. i certainly wouldn't put paint on them.

bob page said:
And just to clarify, I font really consider a button-down and jeans to be dressing up. It depends on the shirt, as some are only formal, but as long as they're not with slacks then I wouldn't mind it.

yeah it always cracks me up that if i'm not wearing jeans/sweatpants and an ill-fitting t-shirt/sweatshirt i am "dressed up."

Enron

Banned
Gila said:

That's not formal. Not even close, lol. Formal is showing up in a suit or a tux or something. Tucked in shirt, nice shoes is merely the cleaner end of casual.

This is pretty much how I showed up to class my first few years of college (i had a job that required business casual dress right after class)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yea, college sets a pretty low bar when 75% percent of people are in big sweaters, exercise shorts/pants, sports team apparel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom