• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti, I'm going to give you my honest opinion.

It looks like a sleeping bag. :/

Of course if you really, really like it you should wear what you like. But there are way classier, better jackets out there!

/.50 cents. See, I put a whole extra .48 cents worth of opinion in there for ya.

Thanks for your opinion. I honestly like the look of them, but what draws me to these particular jackets the most is the comfort and warmth that they provide. They are super light, but super warm as well, which is awesome.

But I know I can definitely find a better jacket, I just wanted some opinions on down coats/jackets in general.

What's the consensus on those puffy down jackets?

They're so comfortable, but everyone I have asked say that they are pretty ugly. I don't think they are...

I'm just gonna cross-post a pic from the 'pics of yourself' thread of myself wearing one of them. Find your opinions and give them to me.
Not crazy about the super puffy down jackets. I've always looked at them as more functional than fashionable.

With that said, there are some pretty great down vests out there. Would you be interested in something like that? I own this quilted vest from Uniqlo and it looks great.

Dear lord lol

Steal it and wear it to the next meet
A girl I dated owned them, so maybe I can smooth talk my way back in solely for this purpose.

zethren

Banned
Thanks for your opinion. I honestly like the look of them, but what draws me to these particular jackets the most is the comfort and warmth that they provide. They are super light, but super warm as well, which is awesome.

But I know I can definitely find a better jacket, I just wanted some opinions on down coats/jackets in general.

Hey man, if you can rock a unique looking piece of clothing then power to you. haha

I mean, a few posts ago I was drooling over a corduroy bow tie. Yep.

^Nice alternative, lucky. That does look nice.

I dig puffy outerwear* , just make sure it isn't too long in the body or sleeve, else it will look like mess.

* still sad I didn't get this when the chance popped up years ago
00180m.jpg

EVOL 100%

They're so comfortable, but everyone I have asked say that they are pretty ugly. I don't think they are...

I'm just gonna cross-post a pic from the 'pics of yourself' thread of myself wearing one of them. Find your opinions and give them to me.

They're pretty comfortable and good at blocking the cold but they sure aren't good looking, that's for sure.

The one your wearing looks better than the norm though.

I dig puffy outerwear* , just make sure it isn't too long in the body or sleeve, else it will look like mess.

* still sad I didn't get this when the chance popped up years ago
00180m.jpg

I will never get high fashion.

zethren

Banned
From what I've gathered, it's about artistic trends and such. Just another form of art, and look back at all of the "ugly" art that has been created over the years.

I don't "get it" either, but I do get it.

lupin23rd

Treated myself to a new MTM jacket for the cold season (although I wonder if it's going to get too cold soon to actually wear it!) and I'm struggling with what to wear with it shirt-wise aside from some solid colors (ie. white). It just came in and I don't have much of anything to match it up with at the moment outside of some fantastic cords that will match up nicely.

Just received an online MTM white herringbone shirt... only I fucked up and it's off-white haha

I was told some small check patterns in some fall colors might work - probably something with brown / light brown / rust red to pick up the colors in the jacket. I'd assume they'd have to be small checks and not like a gingham pattern?

Any thoughts?

IcN5Nl.jpg

coldvein

Banned
i put on a pair of my friends levi's 511's last night in a drunken stupor .. everybody said they looked great on me, but i dont know guise. i feel like my legs shrunk. this is a big step.

zethren

Banned
i put on a pair of my friends levi's 511's last night in a drunken stupor .. everybody said they looked great on me, but i dont know guise. i feel like my legs shrunk. this is a big step.

Take that step, man. We have your back.

As long as you're comfortable in them and you get the right size, you'll likely be glad you did!

511s are great. try a dark wash/denim, and one waist size higher than what you usually wear and see if you like it.

h3ro

I just got two pairs of 511 cords.

One in Ivy and the other in this mustard gold. Have to admit, it's weird wearing such fitted pants, but they felt great after a while. I've usually gone with a fit more akin to 514s and 513s.

Treated myself to a new MTM jacket for the cold season (although I wonder if it's going to get too cold soon to actually wear it!) and I'm struggling with what to wear with it shirt-wise aside from some solid colors (ie. white). It just came in and I don't have much of anything to match it up with at the moment outside of some fantastic cords that will match up nicely.

Just received an online MTM white herringbone shirt... only I fucked up and it's off-white haha

I was told some small check patterns in some fall colors might work - probably something with brown / light brown / rust red to pick up the colors in the jacket. I'd assume they'd have to be small checks and not like a gingham pattern?

Any thoughts?

IcN5Nl.jpg
that pattern is a bit intense, but not beyond the realm of good taste or coordination. Like you say, I'd think subtle and small microchecks/tattersals/stripes/etc would look fine, even great.

alazz

That looks great on you. How does it look without your arms against your side? Still rather fitting or is it more baggy/puffy? I usually don't like those but that's a nice jacket. Nice two-tone.

Depends from person to person of course and you should go with what you think looks good. Personally, I really dislike them (especially considering I have a few extra pounds on me and I think they make me look like the Michelin Man).

That looks great on you. How does it look without your arms against your side? Still rather fitting or is it more baggy/puffy? I usually don't like those but that's a nice jacket. Nice two-tone.

The arms weren't all that baggy. The jacket itself was a pretty good fit, however I felt it was a tad bit long.

I wish I could test it out to see how warm it is. If it kept me fairly warm, I'd say screw it and buy it.

alazz

Yeah jacket length is hard for me to decide on. There's clearly "too long" and clearly "too short" but the area of just right is tough for me. It's nice when I can leave button ups untucked and have them not sit below the jacket but that usually requires a jacket too long.

As for warmth: Is your location usually sunny or overcast when it's cool? Do you wear sweaters? Here in northern California I find even when it's in the 50s out a medium jacket can be a little too warm and a light jacket can generate a light sweat, because it's been sunny most of the days this fall. If I stay in the shade or go out at night it's fine. Those are things to consider.

Depends from person to person of course and you should go with what you think looks good. Personally, I really dislike them (especially considering I have a few extra pounds on me and I think they make me look like the Michelin Man).

Yep that's really the one condition for them. You need to be slim and the jacket needs to be slim. On the contrary, you could make some sort of hat and go all the way: Catarina armor from Dark Souls.

Yeah jacket length is hard for me to decide on. There's clearly "too long" and clearly "too short" but the area of just right is tough for me. It's nice when I can leave button ups untucked and have them not sit below the jacket but that usually requires a jacket too long.

As for warmth: Is your location usually sunny or overcast when it's cool? Do you wear sweaters? Here in northern California I find even when it's in the 50s out a medium jacket can be a little too warm and a light jacket can generate a light sweat, because it's been sunny most of the days this fall. If I stay in the shade or go out at night it's fine. Those are things to consider.

I live in Utah and the weather can be pretty bipolar. Like we just had a huge snow storm like 2 weeks ago, but now it's sunny and in the mid 50s. I already have a few jackets for this kind of weather, but I would like to be prepared for when the cold really hits.

Any thoughts?

http://imgur.com/IcN5Nl.jpg[/*IMG][/QUOTE]
I like the idea of a rust red. If you're going with patterns, definitely keep them small with this jacket. Small checkered has the potential to be great or a disaster, I guess you'll really only know until you try it out.

[quote="Johnlenham, post: 44807963"]511's are my preferred fit aswell.
[IMG]http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/0/8/0/3/2333080/blue/image1xl.jpg
Do the 511s really look like that? The fit looks great to me. Honestly, doesn't even look like Levi's, which is why I ask.

Pocks

With all the Levi's talk, thought I'd chime in. Currently wear 505's, but would like something that fits a little better in the ass department. I'm an athletic build and certainly could not fit into anything akin to skinny jeans. Should I try on a pair of 511's at some point?

Or would 514's make more sense?

Park and Bond has usually been pretty quick for me.

Edit: Just checked and my last order from Park and Bond arrived 3 days after I placed the order.

Stencil

So are pea-coats still in style? I have my peacoat from last season. Just want to make sure it's still OK to wear. Though peacoats are classic I thought?

Also what is your take on blazers? I want to pull one off, I need to find a slim-fitting one. Any tips? H&M? One like this:
free-shipping-suit-jackets-for-men-single-breasted-fashion-casual-blazers-designer-suits-coat-black-grey.jpg

PS: I also ordered a bunch of awesome shit from asos and Topman for Cyber Monday.

coldvein

Banned
well, i've now spent a fair amount of time wearing these 511s... gotta say i'm lovin em. i think i'll buy a pair. i feel like a pimp. i feel like one of those pimps.

Stencil, the reason that blazer looks the way it does is because there are upwards of 15 different pins and clips holding it in place. Essentially, it's not real.

Never, ever, order from one of those Asian ebay sites. This really should be in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom